PDA

View Full Version : Car Seat Tethers for a Convertible

AMG_G
11-17-2013, 01:06 AM
So my new E550 Cabriolet does not have any top tether anchors for a forward facing car seat but it does have the LATCH system. Is it mandatory to tether all forward facing car seats? I read on some sites that convertibles are exempt from needing tether anchors but I cannot find a definitive answer any where for Alberta. I think my car doesn't have the anchors because the head rest moves and is used as a roll bar. You would think Mercedes would have worked around the design to put them in if it was required by law? Does anyone know the exact rules? I have a MDX that we use majority of the time but it would be nice to be able to drive over to grandma's house for dinner with the roof down in the summer and not break any laws. Thanks in advance.

cancer man
11-17-2013, 03:47 AM
Does your child seat come with a top tether?Go to the fire department and have them check it out.P.M me if you like i'am certified in child restraint systems.DT Calgary

AMG_G
11-17-2013, 09:30 AM
Does your child seat come with a top tether?Go to the fire department and have them check it out.P.M me if you like i'am certified in child restraint systems.DT Calgary

The seat has a tether but my new car does not have an anchor.

psicodude
11-17-2013, 09:41 AM
Don't take this as "the law", but when we left the hospital, I actually asked the nurse this question and she told me that the only actual requirement is that the child seat be buckled in with a seat belt. The latch and tether systems are above and beyond the law. The safety of the child, however, is another story.

My personal belief is that your driving habits and ability to avoid an accident far outweigh the benefits of the tether, but that's just my opinion.

tete
11-17-2013, 09:46 AM
My understanding is that all forward facing seats require either the latch or seatbelt (not both) AND the tether. Rear facing seats (including convertible seats that can go from RF to FF) do not require the tether strap (but again, need either the latch or seatbelt). That said, I totally could see exceptions for cars like convertibles.

timun
11-17-2013, 10:23 AM
Convertibles are not required to have tether strap anchors. They are not required to accommodate child seats that require the use of a tether strap.

In Canada the use of the tether strap is required when installing a forward-facing child seat equipped with one therefore, technically speaking, your child seat cannot be used in your E350 cabriolet.

Rathji
11-17-2013, 08:00 PM
Don't take this as "the law", but when we left the hospital, I actually asked the nurse this question and she told me that the only actual requirement is that the child seat be buckled in with a seat belt. The latch and tether systems are above and beyond the law. The safety of the child, however, is another story.

My personal belief is that your driving habits and ability to avoid an accident far outweigh the benefits of the tether, but that's just my opinion.

This is likely incorrect, but depending on your seat, it could be potentially be ok.

The law says, paraphrasing of course, that you need to install a car seat that is approved for such use in Canada (CSA approved for transporting a child) AND that it be installed according to the manufacturers instructions.

For example, most 'bucket' seats are intended to be used with the handle down, since it could cause serious injury and prevent the seat from clamshelling in the case of an accident or could break and end up impaling the kid, but there is at least one model on the market that requires that that handle be up at all times.

Real the manual, and has been mentioned earlier in the thread, there is an good likelihood that you can't use that seat with the car in question.

Edit: Just a note, you can get tethers installed by the dealership, likely for no cost. My old van had none installed, and the dealership put in 3 for no cost. They could have put in a 4th, or 5th as well, but we would have have to pay for them.

BigNumbers
11-17-2013, 08:18 PM
... E550 Cabriolet ...

They typically don't install tether provisions in cars that are owned 99.9% by woman over 60...

Unless you're tethering your colostomy bag.

;)

AMG_G
11-17-2013, 08:57 PM
They typically don't install tether provisions in cars that are owned 99.9% by woman over 60...

Unless you're tethering your colostomy bag.

;)

Thanks for the useful information but I don't know of many old women with a 400 twin turbo V8. :D

KelVarnsen
11-18-2013, 12:58 AM
Humble brag.

AMG_G
11-18-2013, 11:11 AM
Humble brag.

Sorry it wasn't my intention to brag humble or otherwise and there isn't really a reason to brag since 99% of us are in the 1% anyways. I had to be specific with the brand because some convertibles do have an anchor and some don't. Mine doesn't because the head rest automatically rise when somebody is in the seat. I think this is the reason why there isn't an anchor.

jayocal
11-19-2013, 03:15 AM
Just a note, you can get tethers installed by the dealership, likely for no cost. My old van had none installed, and the dealership put in 3 for no cost. They could have put in a 4th, or 5th as well, but we would have have to pay for them.

Wow, cool. I drive an older Mazda van with no tether anchors. I'll have to give them a call.