PDA

View Full Version : UN Human Rights Council.....really?

undercoverbrother
11-13-2013, 10:40 AM
http://www.theguardian.com/world/2013/nov/13/china-granted-seat-un-human-rights-council

Maybe this is a case of keeping you enemies closer???

China
Russia
Saudi Arabia
Vietnam
Algeria
Cuba

NuclearPizzaMan
11-13-2013, 11:07 AM
That list is nothing without Amerikkka, aka WORST NATION EVER.

CaptainYooh
11-13-2013, 11:17 AM
That list is nothing without Amerikkka, aka WORST NATION EVER.
Hey, easy on heavy substances, buddy. Stick with pizza. :confused:

Daradon
11-13-2013, 02:56 PM
http://www.theguardian.com/world/2013/nov/13/china-granted-seat-un-human-rights-council

Maybe this is a case of keeping you enemies closer???

China
Russia
Saudi Arabia
Vietnam
Algeria
Cuba

Yeah, cases like this are unfortunately not new and are a big part of why people have given up on the UN. There definitely does have to be better rules or processes for getting seats on committees like this but it's hard to do that and still maintain diversity of geography and values, while also making sure you don't alienate people.

It's easy to say, 'who cares' just do it the right way and if it alienates countries like Iran or North Korea than F' them. And ideally that would be nice and I'd have no problem with it, but it kinda just increases the problems when you have nations on the outside looking in.

I think the important thing to remember is that while it's very easy to get discouraged and ask, 'what's the point' when you look at committees like this and their member states, that a lot of the important work happens outside these committees and the security council and such.

The UN, once you look outside of the circus that is the Security Council, and committees like this, and even the General Assembly, does do good work for poverty, human rights, disaster relief etc.

I was pretty distressed with stories like this in the past, (and still don't like them, don't get me wrong) but it's just a small part of the whole conversation, and what the UN actually accomplishes.