PDA

View Full Version : Atlantic Canada honeymoon - what must we see?

GreenLantern
11-13-2013, 10:33 AM
Man I ask a lot of favours on this board.

Summary:
-Future wife left me in charge of organizing the honeymoon
-We have our eyes set on Altantic Canada
-Wife won a trip for two anywhere in Canada through her work, we plan to use this for the honeymoon
-They want us to book flights sooner than later
-Dates we are looking at are Sept 15th departure, Sept 27th return
-Gives us 11 full days of holiday time not including the two big travel days
-Flying out of Saskatoon

Question is, how much can we fit in those 11 days? I'd like to hit at least two islands, she really wants PEI and I really want Newfoundland.. the best flights in seem to be to Halifax though, quite a few 6-8 hour flights compared to the 15 hour ones into PEI.

We plan to bring our hiking gear/back packs to do some day trips or over night bed and breakfast trips. I am an avid fisherman and must fish at least once while out here. I would also like to see some whales if it is in season? Preferably from a boat and not a kayak :D I also have a huge passion for craft beer and live music.

I did some research and there are so many different outfitters, I am more or less looking for recommendations on outfitters to use, areas of the islands that I must visit and if possible an order in which you would travel around.

Right now I was thinking, fly into Halifax, spend a day in town, spend a day driving around Cape Breton, get up into PEI with a few days in that area, fly into St. Johns for the last 5 or so days and explore that area. To me this seems like a lot... and pretty ambitious.

I know we have more than a few resident maritime posters, so please school a newbfie.

undercoverbrother
11-13-2013, 10:45 AM
Port-Royal

One of the oldest settlements (excluding Natives/Vikings) in Canada.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Habitation_at_Port-Royal

Pretty cool, unless you don't like history stuff, then it would suck bone.

Puppet Guy
11-13-2013, 10:58 AM
things will be shutting down in PEI about then, but I found just driving around PEI was fun and you'd soak up the scenery. The boardwalk around Victoria Park in Charlottetown is a good stroll, and while you're in Charlottetown you'd need to spend a Friday or Saturday night at the Olde Dublin Pub.

...and a cool/cheap souvenir from PEI: bring a white t-shirt and stain it up with red mud.

squiggs96
11-13-2013, 11:34 AM
Go to Phaneuf's house.

http://nationalpostnews.files.wordpress.com/2013/07/dion-phaneuf-home.jpg?w=940&h=705

surferguy
11-13-2013, 11:47 AM
Skip PEI altogether, spend that time on cape Breton, then go to NFLD Via flight from Sydney or ferry from Sydney.

I was there this summer and wish I had more time on cape breton

MarchHare
11-13-2013, 01:58 PM
Definitely fly into Halifax, and plan to spend a few days there. It's a great city with lots to see and do. Rent a car for the duration of your stay in Atlantic Canada.

The Annapolis Valley in Nova Scotia will be beautiful at that time of year. I suggest spending a few days in Digby. From there, you can travel by car to Port-Royal, mentioned above by undercoverbrother, and other nearby areas of interest.

After that, drive north to Cape Breton for a few days, and then take the ferry to Newfoundland. Of particular importance: do not call anyone in Newfoundland a Maritimer. The locals are very particular about this point. The Maritimes consist only of New Brunswick, Nova Scotia, and PEI. When you also include Newfoundland, the correct term is "Atlantic Canada" or "the Atlantic provinces".

At some point, make sure you have a traditional Maritime lobster dinner. Pretty much every tourist town in the region will offer this amenity.

I'd skip New Brunswick completely, but I'm probably biased because I grew up there and take it for granted. It's definitely less interesting than NS and PEI, though.

GreenLantern
11-13-2013, 02:06 PM
Wow thanks for the tip about Maritime vs. Atlantic Canada, I had no idea. I have edited my post/thread tittle to make it more accurate, sorry if I offended any Newfoundlanders. I am guessing newfie is an offensive term too? Damn. I am going to get my ass kicked.

Thanks for all the suggestions so far, so much to do and see... plus I want to fish this Bras d'Or Lake for Salmon.. I think the best way to do this might just be to split it down the middle. 6 days in NS, 6 days in NFLD. There just isn't enough time for it all.

Locke
11-13-2013, 02:10 PM
Definitely hit up the Alexander Keith's brewery tour.

GreenLantern
11-13-2013, 02:11 PM
Is the Keiths out there better than the Keiths we get here?

MJK
11-13-2013, 02:26 PM
Hey man let's chat on gtalk, I can give you advice on a Newfoundland trip being a Newfoundlander!

A perfect hunnymoon destination is western newfoundland, go to Humber Valley Resort resort to relax, sleep, golf, with immediate access to river boat tours, rafting, ziplining, hiking and only a hop, skip, jump from Grose Morne National Park
http://humbervalley.com/

http://www.hitched.ca/chat/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.PostAttachments/00.00.00.12.65/exterior634771658395025840.jpg

http://media-cdn.tripadvisor.com/media/photo-s/01/bb/a6/df/gorgeous-sunken-living.jpg

http://farm5.staticflickr.com/4107/5056277406_01e588a992_z.jpg

MarchHare
11-13-2013, 04:20 PM
Wow thanks for the tip about Maritime vs. Atlantic Canada, I had no idea. I have edited my post/thread tittle to make it more accurate, sorry if I offended any Newfoundlanders. I am guessing newfie is an offensive term too? Damn. I am going to get my ass kicked.

Newfie is a perfectly acceptable term if and only if you're talking about somebody from Newfoundland. Do not call anyone from NB, NS, PEI, or Labrador a Newfie.

Here's a short guide on acceptable terms for the locals:

"Newfie" = person from Newfoundland
"Maritimer" = person from New Brunswick, Nova Scotia, or PEI
"Acadian" = person of French-Canadian heritage from the Maritimes (New Brunswick in particular)
"Caper" = person from Cape Breton ("Honourary Newfie" is also sometimes acceptable, especially if you're in mixed company of Capers and Newfies)
"Atlantic Canadian" = person from New Brunswick, Nova Scotia, PEI, or Newfoundland & Labrador

MarchHare
11-13-2013, 04:26 PM
Is the Keiths out there better than the Keiths we get here?

Probably not. Keith's is such a huge sham. A very large percentage of Nova Scotians think they're supporting the locally-owned little guy when they buy Keith's, but in reality it's owned by AB-InBev (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anheuser-Busch_InBev), the multinational brewer conglomerate that produces Budweiser, Corona, Labatt, and many others. While this isn't exactly a secret, Keith's marketers don't advertise this fact, for obvious reasons.

GreenLantern
11-13-2013, 04:45 PM
Yes I was aware of that and why I asked.. it tastes like water, but calls itself an IPA. As a lover of IPA's I find this offensive.

Propeller on the other hand is a brewery I could see myself touring..

Plett25
11-13-2013, 04:57 PM
Of particular importance: do not call anyone in Newfoundland a Maritimer. The locals are very particular about this point. The Maritimes consist only of New Brunswick, Nova Scotia, and PEI. When you also include Newfoundland, the correct term is "Atlantic Canada" or "the Atlantic provinces".
This is absolutely horrible advice

He'll be on his honeymoon and will be looking to have some fun and make some memories. I can assure you that nothing is funnier than watching the reactions of Newfoundlanders when you explain to them that they are indeed Martitimers due to the fact that the Maritimes is a province, of which there are 4 regions just like Vancouver Island and the lower mainland are regions of BC.

One of the memories made may include a visit to an emergency room, but hey... gotta live on the wild side every now and then. :D

Plett25
11-13-2013, 05:06 PM
Seriously though... IMO you're trying to fit 3 vacations into 1 honeymoon. It sounds like a pretty hectic honeymoon you're planning.

You can easily spend a wonderful week or week and a half just on the on the Rock. Cape Breton and PEI... another 10 days. Halifax, the South Shore and the Annapolis Valley... another week or two.

If Mrs. Green Lantern wants to go to PEI, just do PEI and Cape Breton. Good fishing and hiking in Cape Breton, PEI is beautiful (and quiet) in September. Take it easy, take your time and take another vacation out there to hit the Rock next year.

And I am duty bound to mention that Cape Bretoners are the best and that Cape Breton is the best part of the Maritimes.

Murph
11-13-2013, 05:48 PM
I'd dedicate a week to the West Coast of Newfoundland:

- Rent a car
- Stay a couple nights at the Humber Valley Resort. It'll be salmon season. Ask the resort people to recommend a guide.
- Stay a couple nights in Gros Morne - Rent a cabin, hike the trails.
- Drive up to L'Anse aux Meadows and stay overnight.

FYI you'll miss peak whale/ice berg seasons.

jaymac106
11-13-2013, 06:08 PM
If you are thinking fishing, think big or stay home! http://www.tonystunafishing.com/index.html. Also the Shellfish festival is in Charlottetown around the time of you vacation great food and good music http://peishellfish.com/

Murph
11-13-2013, 06:45 PM
Couple more things:

- Contact the Tourism NL people for help booking and advice on things to see. Very helpful. You've seen the ads, the NL tourism ones where they say call Jane or Steve or whatever, and then give the phone number. Those people actually exist.

- Most of us are pretty easy going. We're probably not gonna bite your head off if you call us Newfs, Newfies, Maritimers, Atlantic Canadians, etc.

simmonjam1
11-13-2013, 08:33 PM
I'd recommend McNabs island in Halifax harbour. http://www.mcnabsisland.ca/
We spent a afternoon on it exploring. Wish we spent more time out there.

CofR
11-13-2013, 09:16 PM

Garrison Brewery in Halifax is also another one I would put on your list, really good brewery.

calgarywinning
11-13-2013, 09:44 PM
While I have extensive family and have spent many summers in PEI, I would say that spending the majority of your time in Newfoundland should be highly entertaining and relaxing.

I will always remember the newfies for their hospitality and hilariousness at the same time. You just can't beat it. Plus it's pretty damn beautiful there.

JonDuke
11-13-2013, 11:44 PM
It's kind of outta the way to where you should be going, but if you're taking a trip to New Brunswick anyway, I would suggest the Hopewell Rocks:
http://www.thehopewellrocks.ca/

http://www.letstravel.ca/sites/letstravel.ca/files/images/20111111_C4869_PHOTO_EN_6504.preview.jpg

There's some decent hiking trails in Fundy National Park, which is in that same area too.
http://www.pc.gc.ca/pn-np/nb/fundy/index.aspx

Devils'Advocate
11-14-2013, 06:34 AM
I am from Halifax, but I took a tour of the Maritimes last fall because there were so many things I had never seen and really, really should have. The tour bus had a pretty good route.

Halifax to Cape Breton, through the highlands (if you are lucky, you might catch the start of the leaves changing, but it is beautiful even when green), over to Fortress Louisburgh, back to mainland Nova Scotia, take the ferry over to PEI, visit Charlottetown, over to Anne of Green Gables Heritage Site, up to Canvendish beach, take the bridge over to New Brunswick, visited Hopewell Rocks, and then back to Halifax to see Citadel Hill and Peggys Cove. Then they gave us a day on our own to do whatever we wanted in Halifax, so I took over as guide. Took the 'Mericans by the Fisheries Museum, down the harbourfront walk to the wave, past the Brewery Market, down to the new farmers market, Peir 21, and then to Point Pleasant Park, through the SMU and DAL campuses back to the Public Gardens, did some shopping along Spring Garden Road. I chose to do my first (and only) full marathon through my hometown because it is such a beautiful and historic city with lots to see (ie cannons in PPP, boats out in the harbour, town clock, etc).

I agree with what someone said above. You could rush through this stuff and just get a cursory view of everything, or you could take a slower "more Maritime" pace. But I *would* at some point in your life visit the west side of Newfoundland. I was a teenager when I went there, so more than 20 years ago, but it is still one of the most memorable vacations. L'Anse Aux Meadows particularly. We were hoping to see a moose given the hundreds of moose warning signs along the highway.

jaymac106
11-14-2013, 07:05 AM
Since it is your honeymoon, you're bride may appreciate a walk along one of PEI's beachs; weather wise it is still fairly nice weather in September.
Link also for a nice little brewing company as well. http://peibrewingcompany.com/

GreenLantern
11-14-2013, 08:23 AM
Thanks for all the great suggestions guys, really good stuff. This sounds kind of funny, but I hate tourists.. I was hoping at this time of year since it isn't peak whale/iceberg we would miss quite a few of them.. so a tour bus is hell for me, but I really appreciate the route lay out as it gives me good ideas of things to try and hit. I enjoy trying to blend in, while probably sticking out but in my mind I am.. lol.

I really wanted to do St. Johns.. but it seems like I have an over whelming response to the west coast instead which is interesting to me. I definitely will do some salmon fishing, that would be awesome.

This is a tough choice.. not enough days. We decided to push our limits and stay that extra day and come home the Sunday, straight back to work Monday. Might regret it but we are already out there and it seems every hour counts. Also that is my birthday weekend so might as well enjoy it.. I got a lot of thinking to do here, I am really glad I asked this question so far in advance.

Jimmy Stang
11-14-2013, 08:27 AM
This sounds a lot like my honeymoon back in 2003. We managed to hit all of the Atlantic provinces, although New Brunswick was just for an afternoon en route to PEI.

In short - beautiful places, great people, seafood, history, etc. Do not skip Newfoundland. It really is the most "different" province I have visited, yet is still familiarly Canadian. We only spent a few days in St. John's and did a side trip up to Trinity (which is beautiful). NL is massive though - the scale is completely different than the rest of the Atlantic provinces.

Our honeymoon basically consisted of a drive around the south shore of NS and back up the Fundy side including Digby Neck (stopping each night at a different B&B), across the bridge to PEI for a couple of days, ferry back to Halifax, flight to St. John's, and then back home from there. I think that we spent about 12 days or so in total.

My big regrets are not seeing the West side of NL, and not going to Cape Breton. And also that hockey puck-sized Digby scallop that, in hindsight, might have been a tad undercooked and led to a day or two of... gastrointestinal delight. We also did a fair amount of driving (particularly through NS) and while it was nice to see a lot of places, you may want to opt for a slower pace. Depends on your style of holiday.

I'd highly recommend the East coast and Newfoundland for a honeymoon. Absolutely. My wife and I are thinking of trying to get out there again in the next few years, this time with our son, which will change the itinerary considerably!

GreenLantern
11-14-2013, 08:51 AM
Jimmy did you locate and book all of the B&B's far in advance? Or were you kind of able to just figure out when you were tired and stop? The wife definitely wants to do a coastal drive/B&B stop, spend a day or two doing this alone, that is my trade off for being able to go fishing in multiple places :)

Huntingwhale
11-14-2013, 08:59 AM
Take her to Tuktayuktuk and participate in the murder/beatings of baby seals.

Jimmy Stang
11-14-2013, 09:35 AM
Jimmy did you locate and book all of the B&B's far in advance? Or were you kind of able to just figure out when you were tired and stop? The wife definitely wants to do a coastal drive/B&B stop, spend a day or two doing this alone, that is my trade off for being able to go fishing in multiple places :)

We booked them all in advance. I can give you some of the places and names of them (if I can remember) in a little bit. Just need to get some work done today before I waste any more time on the internet!

Some were really good and interesting, some were a little underwhelming. And, of course, this was ten years ago, so much may have changed. I'm sure that with the magic of the travel review sites now available that weren't as handy/prevalent in 2003, you could probably avoids some of the duds.

One major disappointment was not getting to stay at this place: http://www.trainstation.ca/ I have a thing for trains, so figured it would be a fun "stop" for a night or two. But they apparently overbooked due to a wedding (or, more likely, our reservation was getting in the way of a large block booking) and couldn't honour their reservation, but did put us up in some nearby cabins which was actually kind of nice as well.

Anyway - more to come via PM a little later today, or maybe tonight.

Puppet Guy
11-14-2013, 09:45 AM
Yes I was aware of that and why I asked.. it tastes like water, but calls itself an IPA. As a lover of IPA's I find this offensive.

I'm duty-bound to hype the Granite Brewery in Halifax.

Maritime Q-Scout
11-14-2013, 09:54 AM
For Nova Scotia this thread actually is very good despite it starting out as a thread about Halifax, http://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthread.php?t=129600 It turned into a thread about Nova Scotia & Cape Breton (Flames Addiction changed his plans and added more time to God's Country, aka Cape Breton Island).

There's not much to add that I didn't put in that thread. When you're here if there's anything you need, or if you have specific questions about Nova Scotia, particularly Cape Breton Island, let me know.

GreenLantern
11-14-2013, 10:12 AM
Ugh that is a great thread, I can't believe it slipped through my searches. Thank you very much, out of thanks for now but I will get you back. Reading that thread makes me wish I was going there with a group of buddies to get pub drunk for an entire weekend.

I also see a lot of posters in that thread that haven't posted anything in here yet, not calling any names or anything but pretty Friken' smug Jiri, pretty smug.

Northendzone
11-14-2013, 10:18 AM
Take her to Tuktayuktuk and participate in the murder/beatings of baby seals.

fur is not murder, but paying for it sure is......

GreenLantern
11-22-2013, 09:18 AM
Alright so did some more research and heres the rough sketch of what I've got so far, looking for positive input on my plans and recommendations for stops I should make. Stay away or don't come to my province are not acceptable answers!

Day 1 (Monday) Land in Halifax, early morning flight approximately 7-8 hours should put us there with about half the day left, including time change.
Day 2 rent car, start the Great Cape Breton tour!
Day 2-4 touring Cape Breton. Right now I am planning to start by going up the NW coast, working our way down to Sydney, then ultimately back to Halifax.
Day 5-6 Arrive in Halifax, spending the weekend here (see how I timed that?)
Day 7 (Sunday) drive down to Lunenberg for the day/spend the night.
Day 8 Back up to Halifax and fly out to western Newfoundland
Day 9-11 spend touring the west coast of Newfoundland
Day 12 Drive to St. Johns (Friday)
Day 13 Spend the day in St. Johns (again, a weekend, great timing amirite?)
Day 14 Fly home/hating life cause we have to leave this beautiful part of the world.

She's tight, but I was able to convince the wife (can I call her that already? I can't say fiance without sounding like a jerkoff, future wife?) to drop PEI so we could spend more time touring Cape Breton/West coast of NFLD. We will have to hit PEI and NB the next time. We really want to hit both Halifax and St. Johns, this gives us 2 uninterupted days in Halifax on the weekend and 1.5 days in St. Johns again on the weekend. Probably not enough time but otherwise we have to cut a lot of the scenic stuff out.. so I figured 1-2 days on the weekend is probably better than 3 during the week.

I was hesitant to land in Newfoundland as recent interactions with some newfies really turned me off of the place, but then I thought, they can't all be basement dwelling virgins with their panties in a knot, so lets give er a go!

The next step is to start looking into activities, and I have been able to find a few good fishing outposts so far, but any recommendations from personal experiences would be awesome.

We are definitely going to work in a night at the Train Station, thanks again Jimmy for that great recommendation.

MarchHare
11-22-2013, 09:26 AM
^^ Looks like a pretty solid itinerary, but it's a shame you couldn't find room for a day or two in the Annapolis Valley.

undercoverbrother
11-22-2013, 09:33 AM
^^ Looks like a pretty solid itinerary, but it's a shame you couldn't find room for a day or two in the Annapolis Valley.

All the leaves will be gone by then anyway, no?

GreenLantern
11-22-2013, 09:34 AM
I know I really wanted to get to the southwest but if we went south then really there wouldnt be any time for NFLD.. so had to make a decision. Already so tight. There is some room for movement, like if the weather is the craps when we are on the west coast in NFLD, head to St. Johns a day or two early.. etc.. Depending on flight time to NFLD we might be able to work in just a quick drive by.. google maps says its only about 1.5 hour drive from Lunenberg? But it would be a really short visit..

I figure this time around we will do this tour, figure out what we liked/didn't like, then when we come back we can make up for what we missed.

undercoverbrother
11-22-2013, 09:36 AM
It's kind of outta the way to where you should be going, but if you're taking a trip to New Brunswick anyway, I would suggest the Hopewell Rocks:
http://www.thehopewellrocks.ca/

http://www.letstravel.ca/sites/letstravel.ca/files/images/20111111_C4869_PHOTO_EN_6504.preview.jpg

There's some decent hiking trails in Fundy National Park, which is in that same area too.
http://www.pc.gc.ca/pn-np/nb/fundy/index.aspx

Thanks, I totally forgot about this place.

Spent a lot of time there as a young boy.

This is the same place at high tide, just ####ing amazing place.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3134/2912239910_3ef045f2f4.jpg

Maritime Q-Scout
11-22-2013, 09:42 AM
Alright so did some more research and heres the rough sketch of what I've got so far, looking for positive input on my plans and recommendations for stops I should make. Stay away or don't come to my province are not acceptable answers!

Day 1 (Monday) Land in Halifax, early morning flight approximately 7-8 hours should put us there with about half the day left, including time change.
Day 2-4 touring Cape Breton. Right now I am planning to start by going up the NW coast, working our way down to Sydney, then ultimately back to Halifax.
Day 14 Fly home/hating life cause we have to leave this beautiful part of the world.

She's tight, but I was able to convince the wife (can I call her that already? I can't say fiance without sounding like a jerkoff, future wife?) to drop PEI so we could spend more time touring Cape Breton/West coast of NFLD. We will have to hit PEI and NB the next time. We really want to hit both Halifax and St. Johns, this gives us 2 uninterupted days in Halifax on the weekend and 1.5 days in St. Johns again on the weekend. Probably not enough time but otherwise we have to cut a lot of the scenic stuff out.. so I figured 1-2 days on the weekend is probably better than 3 during the week.

I was hesitant to land in Newfoundland as recent interactions with some newfies really turned me off of the place, but then I thought, they can't all be basement dwelling virgins with their panties in a knot, so lets give er a go!

The next step is to start looking into activities, and I have been able to find a few good fishing outposts so far, but any recommendations from personal experiences would be awesome.

We are definitely going to work in a night at the Train Station, thanks again Jimmy for that great recommendation.

Looks good. I can tell you Newfoundland is awesome. I say there is only one Newfoundlander I ever met that I didn't like (for the record Bob Cole is an ***hole). You'll love it over there.

Do you need recommendations of places to stay? I can recommend a couple cabins in Ingonish (there's also the Keltic Lodge there), the hotels around Sydney (we used the Cambridge Suites for our wedding hotel and have a room booked there for New Year's, although the Hamptons seems nice as well, and Holiday Inn is nice for a Holiday Inn). There's also the Birches in Ben Eion which is awesome (about 30-40 minutes outside of Sydney) it's next to a golf course on the Bras d'Or Lakes. It's an inn so only 12 rooms (I think) and a 5 star restaurant. Or if you prefer I can tell you the best park benches to sleep on.

undercoverbrother
11-22-2013, 09:45 AM
Looks good. I can tell you Newfoundland is awesome. I say there is only one Newfoundlander I ever met that I didn't like (for the record Bob Cole is an ***hole). You'll love it over there.

Do you need recommendations of places to stay? I can recommend a couple cabins in Ingonish (there's also the Keltic Lodge there), the hotels around Sydney (we used the Cambridge Suites for our wedding hotel and have a room booked there for New Year's, although the Hamptons seems nice as well, and Holiday Inn is nice for a Holiday Inn). There's also the Birches in Ben Eion which is awesome (about 30-40 minutes outside of Sydney) it's next to a golf course on the Bras d'Or Lakes. It's an inn so only 12 rooms (I think) and a 5 star restaurant. Or if you prefer I can tell you the best park benches to sleep on.

Off topic MQS, but does the piper still stand at the NB/NS border during the summer?

Maritime Q-Scout
11-22-2013, 09:48 AM
Off topic MQS, but does the piper still stand at the NB/NS border during the summer?

Not that I've ever noticed. Perhaps it's a holiday, long weekend thing if they still do that?

GreenLantern
11-22-2013, 10:00 AM

Ok so I came across quite a few of those names in my research.

One place I looked at on Bras d'Or Lakes was this Green Highlander Lodge. They had a fly fishing guide booked into the lodge so I figured that might be a good place to stay one night and get my fishing fix in. Any opinions on that place? Or the town of Baddeck in general?

Also the GF had someone tell her about this Castle Moffett.. it looks mighty touristy to me. She says its a castle! Looking online it appears to be a hotel built to look like a castle.. and mighty pricey. I need to convince her its not a good spot for us so give me some dirt :P

Since we have 3.5 ish days, first day drive to Bras, do our fishing/one night. Next day drive to Sydney/one night. Then the last day we would spend touring around the Ingonish area/one night and then back to Halifax. Hit kind of all all three sides, abbreviated I know but still should at least give us some experience there. Somewhere in there is an extra night so I need to figure out which place needs the most time.. or just spread that night out for somewhere inbetween those stops.

Also, I need to find some time to buy you a beer for all your help. Or ten.

undercoverbrother
11-22-2013, 10:09 AM
Not that I've ever noticed. Perhaps it's a holiday, long weekend thing if they still do that?

Yeah it was during Tourist season

Doesn't look like it is done anymore

http://bagpipervancouver.com/http:/bagpiping-history-tradition-heritage/the-scond-most-photographed-man-in-north-america-a-bagpiper/

Same really.

DuffMan
11-22-2013, 10:41 AM
http://media-cdn.tripadvisor.com/media/photo-s/01/bb/a6/df/gorgeous-sunken-living.jpg

Good God, how did they get such a huge TV into that room?

10W30
11-22-2013, 11:04 AM

Just to clarify on your landing in Halifax on day one with 1/2 day left. what time are we talking here? I realize after a 8 hour cross country flight all you might want to do is hit the hay, and that's fine, but if you arrive in NS at 2 or 3 in the afternoon, I would recommend renting your car right then, and hitting the road.
From the airport in the middle of nowhere, downtown Halifax is about 1/2 hour, and the train station inn is about 1 1/2 hours, so in theory you could get your wife in the caboose on the first night.
There are a few nice hotels right at the airport, but there is really nothing there at all. If you spend the first night in Tatamagouche its only a bit over 2 hours to the canso causeway and Cape Breton.
Just a thought as you may find yourself landing, checking into a hotel for the rest of the day and just waiting for tomorrow to come to "get started" while your internal vacation clock is ticking away.

I do agree with you cutting PEI out of the trip if you are strapped for time, and I love PEI, but you can pretty much "do it" in a day. I really enjoy Cape Breton. I know not many people picked up on your outdoorsy stuff, but I know you can rent a Yurt in Whycocomagh (http://parks.gov.ns.ca/parks/whycocomagh.asp) if that is the type of thing you want to try. (hmm, Day 1 honeymoon, sleep in a train, day 2, sleep in a hut, day 3...?)
You may also want to read up on Cape Breton Highlands national park to satisfy some of your outdoor adventuring. I would recommend Keji, but since you aren't heading that way it will have to be for another trip.

Sounds like an awesome time, I have lived here in NS almost all my life and have driven to Florida multiple times and have been all the way out to Vancouver, but never to Newfoundland... maybe this summer...

GreenLantern
11-22-2013, 11:15 AM
Awesome thanks for the tips... that does actually make some sense just heading straight out towards CB. It isn't like we would have to drive far to get started, and removing ourselves from the city the first day would clear up more time in there towards the end, or more time in CB altogether. I like it.

I will look into these things you recommended, the hut seems pretty darn cool actually. We are definitely the out doors type, me more of a sleep on a rock type guy, she prefers running water but has learned to make due :P Baby steps.

Maritime Q-Scout
11-26-2013, 06:56 PM
One place I looked at on Bras d'Or Lakes was this Green Highlander Lodge. They had a fly fishing guide booked into the lodge so I figured that might be a good place to stay one night and get my fishing fix in. Any opinions on that place? Or the town of Baddeck in general?

Also the GF had someone tell her about this Castle Moffett.. it looks mighty touristy to me. She says its a castle! Looking online it appears to be a hotel built to look like a castle.. and mighty pricey. I need to convince her its not a good spot for us so give me some dirt :P

Since we have 3.5 ish days, first day drive to Bras, do our fishing/one night. Next day drive to Sydney/one night. Then the last day we would spend touring around the Ingonish area/one night and then back to Halifax. Hit kind of all all three sides, abbreviated I know but still should at least give us some experience there. Somewhere in there is an extra night so I need to figure out which place needs the most time.. or just spread that night out for somewhere inbetween those stops.

Also, I need to find some time to buy you a beer for all your help. Or ten.

I'm not familiar with the Green Highlander Lodge, but I can ask around and see. In terms of asking me how Baddeck is in general... it's awesome. Small down, beautiful, it's one of the must see stops when visiting Cape Breton. Alexander Graham Bell lived in Baddeck and spent his final years there. There is a museum dedicated to him there (check it out) and a boat tour on a catamaran (http://www.amoebasailingtours.com/). My wife went on the boat cruise as part of her bachelorette party.

One place to look at in Baddeck to stay is the Invrary Inn http://www.capebretonresorts.com/our-resorts/inverary-resort I haven't stayed there, but it's the big resort there.

Castle Moffatt was built as a hotel if I'm not mistaken. The only castle that was on Cape Breton was Moxam's Castle which is essentially where the Days Inn in Sydney is now. The castle burnt down before I was born, and the Days Inn is in no way modeled after it, just happens to be the same location.

If I could make one addition to your possible itinerary, the Fortress of Louisbourg. It's basically a whole day to go through it properly. Afterwards supper at the Beggar's Banquet adds good food and continues the period appeal.

Fortress of Louisbourg: http://www.fortressoflouisbourg.ca/
Beggar's Banquet: http://www.louisbourgpointofview.com/beggars-banquet/

Also the Beggar's Banquet is at the Point of View Inn and Suites. They are nice, my wife and I stayed there a night after we got married (needed a getaway but didn't have the time to travel away).

That said, the Sydney Waterfront is a beautiful walk, especially at sunset. The Crown & Moose is a nice little pub in the Holiday Inn, and Governor's has one of the best patios of any restaurant/bar I've ever been in.

Time is a factor, naturally, I'm sure I could plan a three week vacation for you on Cape Breton alone.

Sorry for the late reply, but any questions let me know. Also I rarely refuse beer :beer: