PDA

View Full Version : Should Canada merge with the USA?

Shin Pad
11-12-2013, 04:09 PM
http://video.foxbusiness.com/v/2831904114001/should-canada-merge-with-us

I can't see a complete "takeover" ever happening, but I would be open to a much more open border such as the EU has. As long as we keep the things that make us Canadian - ie - health care, etc.

pylon
11-12-2013, 04:10 PM
lol, no.

Barnet Flame
11-12-2013, 04:12 PM
#### no.

To Be Quite Honest
11-12-2013, 04:14 PM
Never go down with a sinking ship!

terminator
11-12-2013, 04:16 PM
no, wtf, no.

jammies
11-12-2013, 04:17 PM
Merger? Does that mean we can sell off all the crappy states and just keep the good ones going forward?

Old Yeller
11-12-2013, 04:18 PM
Fox Business... that's pretty much an oxymoron isn't it?

pylon
11-12-2013, 04:20 PM
If the US unequivocally adopted Canadian laws, across the board, including gun control and Health care I guess. They would also have to change their name to Canada's pants, balance their books, and blow up Detroit.

VladtheImpaler
11-12-2013, 04:22 PM
Sure, if they drop Florida, Mississippi, etc and we drop everything east of Toronto. ;)

FlameOn
Really? Hell no. If we took over the States though we'd certainly do a better job than those whole government shutdown / anti-health care clowns.

FlamesAddiction
I don't see why the U.S. would want to.

They can already get anything they want from us, without the burden of governing. I think they much prefer to keep us a satellite. It's so much more efficient.

pylon
11-12-2013, 04:25 PM
In all honesty, if it were to ever happen, it would only be done in a hostile fashion. I would also 'relax' my ideas on gun control, and be the first in line to become a fully armed Canadian insurgent. I would absolutely be willing to die to protect my Canadian identity. It is the most valued thing any of us can claim to have.

Huntingwhale
11-12-2013, 04:29 PM
Sell them Quebec for a profit and tell them it's Canada.

JonDuke
11-12-2013, 04:32 PM
http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lxxta74Ik41r76lino1_400.gif

Resolute 14
11-12-2013, 04:33 PM
Absolutely not.

SuperMatt18
11-12-2013, 04:34 PM
No /End Thread

Daradon
11-12-2013, 04:40 PM
I do believe the video is more about a bigger economic union, like the EU. Not a 'merger' in a governmental sense, which I'm not sure why would even be a question, it's just so far out there for both countries.

However, even in the EU example, I would just point again to that example and ask how well has that worked out for them?

Lastly, even though the US is the largest economy in the world, and still stable compared to other economies simply cause of it's size, I worry about the road they are going down, and not sure why Canada would want to be part of that.

Young-Sneezy
11-12-2013, 04:43 PM
In all honesty, if it were to ever happen, it would only be done in a hostile fashion. I would also 'relax' my ideas on gun control, and be the first in line to become a fully armed Canadian insurgent. I would absolutely be willing to die to protect my Canadian identity. It is the most valued thing any of us can claim to have.

http://www.reactiongifs.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/escalated.gif

Magnum PEI
11-12-2013, 04:44 PM
The guy in the video brought it up, but a Canada/USA hockey team would decimate at every level. Can this get done before February?
Suter solves our left D problem too.

Shin Pad
11-12-2013, 04:45 PM
Obviously a full merger is out of the question. What I was more interested in is an EU type of arrangement.

DownhillGoat
11-12-2013, 04:47 PM
No. Not even if it is just in an EU fashion.

Coach
11-12-2013, 04:52 PM
They f***ing wish.

This is the greatest country world, I don't want it tainted with Ameri-stink.

GirlySports
11-12-2013, 04:53 PM
no way.

we don't have the problems that america has, like illegal mexicans.

jeffman
11-12-2013, 04:53 PM

Wolverines!

CaramonLS
11-12-2013, 04:55 PM
That is what she is talking about for the most part. An economic merger, much like the EU.

It would make a lot of sense.

nickerjones
11-12-2013, 04:55 PM
They f***ing wish.

This is the greatest country world, I don't want it tainted with Ameri-stink.

Right now the only things better in the USA is their NHL teams, it's warmer where I am from, I can golf year round where I am from, and the fact that it only took my wife 3-4 months to be able to work in the states after she did her application. Right now I am sitting at 6 months will still no word of what's going on with my application/paperwork.

Other than that... I'm quite enjoying Canada.

Dion
11-12-2013, 04:58 PM
http://loldamn.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/funny-america-canada-map.jpg

CaptainCrunch
11-12-2013, 05:03 PM
We need to reduce our reliance in American's economy, not increase it. We need to diversify our markets not make them singular.

So I would say no. I love American's, And having the biggest gun on the block is nice to. But we have to get away from the whole concept of America's economy sneezes, we get pneumonia.

DownhillGoat
11-12-2013, 05:06 PM
Right now the only things better in the USA is ... I can golf year round where I am from
Bah. You warm weather people.

Give me 4 seasons or give me death!

CaptainCrunch
11-12-2013, 05:12 PM
http://musicglue-images.s3.amazonaws.com/68caee34-e5f6-423a-8ece-d9dec688ee7c.png

jayswin
11-12-2013, 05:20 PM
http://replygif.net/i/1221.gif (http://www.google.ca/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&frm=1&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&docid=9hTqY8YMjBxXZM&tbnid=ifvYLttslgodsM:&ved=0CAUQjRw&url=http%3A%2F%2Freplygif.net%2F1221&ei=w8WCUqDXKKvFiwKBsIHgBQ&bvm=bv.56343320,d.cGE&psig=AFQjCNH1nVGGsXbM9nZlc48THrEgh68jdw&ust=1384388369192473)

Minnie
11-12-2013, 05:24 PM
Um...NO. Hell no. No way. Not at this time - or any time. Feck no. Hell to the no. No way, Jose. Thanks, but no thanks. Not on your life. Nada. Nope. Not in a million years.

nik-
11-12-2013, 05:25 PM
no way.

we don't have the problems that america has, like illegal mexicans.

If that means better tacos, I'm all for it.

nickerjones
11-12-2013, 05:30 PM
Bah. You warm weather people.

Give me 4 seasons or give me death!

Haha... It's hasn't been so bad yet so I can't complain. A couple other things I missed that are better down South
- Mexican food
- Dr pepper 10
http://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthread.php?t=109999&page=3

nik-
11-12-2013, 05:34 PM
Haha... It's hasn't been so bad yet so I can't complain. A couple other things I missed that are better down South
- Mexican food
- Dr pepper 10 Pibb Xtra
http://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthread.php?t=109999&page=3

Fixed that one for you.

Ozy_Flame
11-12-2013, 05:35 PM
No merger at all. Never.

Although I do support a more open border for employment. I can't believe that hasn't happened yet.

Dion
11-12-2013, 05:48 PM
The Americans can keep thier bottomless debt, wars, president, heath care/death panels, and most of all, Miley Cyrus.

We don't need you as we're doing fine on our own, thank you very much!

nickerjones
11-12-2013, 05:54 PM
The Americans can keep thier bottomless debt, wars, president, heath care/death panels, and most of all, Miley Cyrus.

Ill see your Miley Cyrus and raise you a Justin Beiber.

jayswin
11-12-2013, 05:56 PM

Yeah, America can keep all the embarrassing young celebrities, making fools of themselves on a nightly basis. We don't need associate our great country with any of them.

nickerjones
11-12-2013, 06:02 PM
Fixed that one for you.

Pibb Xtra is great too but I find if I drink it to regular it doesn't have much taste. Dr Pepper 10 is my favorite.

No merger at all. Never.

Although I do support a more open border for employment. I can't believe that hasn't happened yet.

Yeah the employment thing is crazy. I just learned today that some LMO jobs comes with open ended work permits for spouses. Why can't it be the same way with spouses of married Canadian Citzens who are approved as sponsors? I find that kind of weird.

Dion
11-12-2013, 06:03 PM
Ill see your Miley Cyrus and raise you a Justin Beiber.

....and i'll raise you a Lady Gaga.

Temporary_User
11-12-2013, 06:09 PM
A U.S. and Canada merger would be a huge mistake for both sides.

jayswin
11-12-2013, 06:09 PM
A U.S. and Canada merger would be a huge mistake for both sides.

For Canada.

Yakbutter
11-12-2013, 06:14 PM
That woman should be charged with treason or something. She's Canada's version of Benedict Arnold.

nickerjones
11-12-2013, 06:14 PM
....and i'll raise you a Lady Gaga.

We can argue it all day so let me end it here... Carly Rae Jepsen. Is that enough? If not ... Nickleback.

TurnedTheCorner
11-12-2013, 06:16 PM
Having dual citizenship would be nice. For working, for travel, whatever. I wouldn't be opposed to some kind of relaxed border / combined union, EU style. It will probably never happen though. Until like, cheesy Sci-Fi 'World Council' stuff.

Yoho
11-12-2013, 06:17 PM
Would be an unstoppable hockey team

jayswin
11-12-2013, 06:19 PM
Didn't the US already get the ability to police in our country?

TurnedTheCorner
11-12-2013, 06:20 PM
Would be an unstoppable hockey team

Just like the Great Britain soccer team in the World Cup. ;)

jonesy
11-12-2013, 06:30 PM
well I love Canada, but yet again the 'polite' canadians are sounding quite jerkish here.
Probably they also love the NFL, trash the CFL, can't get enough American culture on tv etc, go golfing in palm springs and say how great Las Vegas is.

jayswin
11-12-2013, 06:33 PM
well I love Canada, but yet again the 'polite' canadians are sounding quite jerkish here.
Probably they also love the NFL, trash the CFL, can't get enough American culture on tv etc, go golfing in palm springs and say how great Las Vegas is.

Why can't you be more like the other Icelandic poster we have? He's like a ray of sunshine, and always positive, and you always post chastising, angry posts. Be more like Thor, you're ruining our awesome perception of Iceland.

Make no mistake, we will "America" Iceland if this continues.

jayswin
11-12-2013, 06:34 PM
Also, not wanting your country to merge in any way with another country is not jerkish.

nik-
11-12-2013, 06:46 PM

I also love to vacation in Mexico, but there's no way I'd want to live there. There's a pretty vast chasm between liking aspects of a country and not wanting it to merge with yours. I don't think it's a very difficult concept to understand.

Yoho
11-12-2013, 06:47 PM
There is no United Kingdom soccer team.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Football_in_the_United_Kingdom

Shawnski
11-12-2013, 06:51 PM
LOL, the mother of Eric Francis. Should I say more?

How about the North American Union, already a topic for many years. No thanks.

The Amero (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_American_monetary_union), a NAU currency proposed by Herbert Grubel (http://oldfraser.lexi.net/publications/critical_issues/1999/amero/) formerly of the Simon Fraser University, is published by the Fraser Institute.

Conspiracy theorists (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conspiracy_theory) contend that the governments of the United States, Canada, and Mexico are already taking steps to implement such a currency, as part of a New World Order (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_World_Order_(conspiracy_theory)) (NWO).

Feel like the water is getting warmer fellow frogs? I always love when conspiracy theory is thrown into the mix. Instant negative vibe that even many here perpetuate.

A NAU would result in ANOTHER level of government (and therefore rules, bureaucracy and taxation) above and beyond what we already have. But we may not have a choice.

The Federal Reserve is up against a wall. In order to prop up the "US" dollar, they are currently pumping $85 billion per month into poor investment vehicles such as housing and US bonds. Whenever they even THINK about tapering it, the stock market takes a dive. They, and subsequently, the US gov't, are f'd. It is not a matter of IF but WHEN their petrol dollar collapses.

We, having so close ties to their economy will also immediately be impacted. As is the case historically, a new finanicial tool will have to emerge quickly. This will likely be the Amero using special drawing rights (SDRs) from the IMF.

At that point, we are toast. No more sovereignty, no more Canada.

BC, AB, SK, the territories, and perhaps MB could be viable on their own and should seriously consider this aspect.

jonesy
11-12-2013, 07:18 PM
Why can't you be more like the other Icelandic poster we have? He's like a ray of sunshine, and always positive, and you always post chastising, angry posts. Be more like Thor, you're ruining our awesome perception of Iceland.

Make no mistake, we will "America" Iceland if this continues.

Yah, he's a big loser

jonesy
11-12-2013, 07:20 PM
I was trying to say to the angry guys bashing the US to be happier.....

Be happy the US isn't all bad, think of the good things you like about them.

I'm so happy right now. I'm going over to Thor's and have a beer.

jonesy
11-12-2013, 07:22 PM
In fact, I'm turning over a new leaf. From now on I am Mr. Happy.

Minnie
11-12-2013, 07:25 PM

Why? Because we have an opinion contrary to yours and that of the columnist? There are plenty of good reasons to not want to have any part of merging things, not the least of which, for me at least, is the crap economy and atrocious banking system. There just aren't really enough compelling reasons to 'merge.'

What an odd comment to make, that it makes us jerks because we'd prefer not to merge with another country. I'm sure plenty of countries would say "yeah, um NO" to a suggestion to merge with another. Perhaps Iceland should consider merging with Russia. http://i43.tinypic.com/6y2vxj.gif

jonesy
11-12-2013, 07:33 PM
Why? Because we have an opinion contrary to yours and that of the columnist? There are plenty of good reasons to not want to have any part of merging things, not the least of which, for me at least, is the crap economy and atrocious banking system. There just aren't really enough compelling reasons to 'merge.'

What an odd comment to make, that it makes us jerks because we'd prefer not to merge with another country. I'm sure plenty of countries would say "yeah, um NO" to a suggestion to merge with another. Perhaps Iceland should consider merging with Russia. http://i43.tinypic.com/6y2vxj.gif

It's cool man! relax, everything will be fine. Come on over and have a beer. Thor can't drink it anymore. btw it's fine Russian beer. yum.

WCW Nitro
11-12-2013, 07:33 PM
Well, it is one way of increasing NHL TV ratings in the U.S.A.

DuffMan
11-12-2013, 08:00 PM
NO, why would we want to regress at this point. We are not in a rebuilding phase, we do not need to get way worse to get better.

Magnum PEI
11-12-2013, 08:06 PM
I'd like to see it happen. But I'm a dual citizen. I think 9% of Calgarians are American.

Strategically it makes sense because North America is basically an island. For instance there are naval bases in Esquimalt and Everett. Seems unnecessary to have two so close.

PIMking
11-12-2013, 08:49 PM
LOL I didn't read the thread except the first page.

We wont invade, we've tried it 3 times before and failed all three times.

We don't want to have to deal with those weirdo's Nufi's and to top it off, I'm not turning in my guns.

being serious though, it wont happen, why would either country want to join into a single country? We are like brothers, you guys are the polite, yet snobby younger brother and we're the older, yet stupid stuck in a frat boy faze brother.

Table 5
11-12-2013, 09:41 PM
I loved my time there, have an American wife, and love many things about that country....but yeah, no thanks. It's a country that's slowly choking itself to death and has lost sight of what made it great.

Having said that, I'll gladly take Hawaii, New York, Maine, Vermont, Washington, and Oregon.

DownhillGoat
11-12-2013, 09:52 PM
We wont invade, we've tried it 3 times before and failed all three times.
And don't think we won't burn the White House down again, either.

Having said that, I'll gladly take Hawaii, New York, Maine, Vermont, Washington, and Oregon.
Throw in Alaska and I'll take that deal. I love Alaska. And the people there. And most of the lower 48 think it's part of Canada anyway.

kirant
11-12-2013, 09:53 PM
I'd be fine with this division:
http://www.andreaharner.com/archives/UnitedStatesnewmap.jpg

Radio
11-12-2013, 10:47 PM
Booooo!!!

Coach
11-12-2013, 11:11 PM

I was born in the States to Canadian parents and have lived here most of my life. I would be right beside you.

nickerjones
11-12-2013, 11:23 PM

Ahh good good, you're already buying into the same argument all of them "right wing gun nuts use". If only you could start claiming it's your 2nd Amendment right to be fully armed..... It's getting more American here by the day ;)

nik-
11-12-2013, 11:58 PM
I loved my time there, have an American wife, and love many things about that country....but yeah, no thanks. It's a country that's slowly choking itself to death and has lost sight of what made it great.

and Colorado, it can be the Canadian Alaska ... just south, with better beer.

Temporary_User
11-13-2013, 01:15 AM
I was born in the States to Canadian parentsYou are like me. How many Americans are on this site?

Rutuu
11-13-2013, 05:29 AM
How is the Francis family even listened too?

1. The world is not a risk board with resources you take over...all the European powers got rid if the majority of their colonies many years ago.
2. You can just buy resources it's easier then taking them over
3. The resources in Northern Canada are far away from markets that's one reason the haven't been developed NOT lack of man power. Basically the easiest to find/produce assets get developed first. This wouldn't change with a merger.
4. China targets Canada's resources because we welcome foreign investment, we honoured our commitments, we have a stable government, operating costs are reasonable, finding costs are reasonable, etc, etc. Americans have bought into Canada for many many years too for these reasons. If you want to block Chinese bids for firms here based on China having government funded banks with an unfair lending advantage then I'm ok with that.
5. We'd lose our sovereign currency which eliminates are ability to control our Monetary policy to react to Canada's economic needs.

Anyway that's just rattling a few things off the top of my head. Easier movement of people/jobs between the two countries would be nice though like a NZ/Aus relationship.

icarus
11-13-2013, 05:38 AM
I like the offer from the Turks and Caicos better.

Displaced Flames fan
11-13-2013, 07:09 AM
As much as you guys claim to hate the US, you sure flock over the border every single weekend.

Half of my customers are Canadians who 'weekend' in Whitefish. It's astounding how much disposable income you seem to have.

That said, I love each and every one of you. Almost.

flambers
11-13-2013, 07:16 AM
No, US is completely different. No Health Care coverage, personal taxes are different, Mortgages are different... etc...

Sure I like to visit the States, but it's not in Canada's best interests IMO.

States first act would be to harvest the Fresh Water Resources in Canada.

Coach
11-13-2013, 07:17 AM
As much as you guys claim to hate the US, you sure flock over the border every single weekend.

Half of my customers are Canadians who 'weekend' in Whitefish. It's astounding how much disposable income you seem to have.

Again, just because we like your vacation spots doesn't mean we want to merge with that disaster of an economy.

DownhillGoat
11-13-2013, 07:20 AM
Who exactly has claimed that in this thread?

FlamesAddiction
11-13-2013, 07:25 AM
I doubt most people would even notice a real difference in their day-to-day lives if it happened. Unless Canadians were being rounded up and put in gulags, I don't think the change would be worth dying over.

Many regions, states and even cities have maintained unique identities within the U.S., so I don't see why a "North American" country couldn't have 10 provinces with distinct Canadian identities. Also, perhaps not a popular opinion here, but I consider Americans and Canadians to be basically the same culture.

I'm also convinced that nation states as we know them won't exist in the next 100 years anyway.

Displaced Flames fan
11-13-2013, 07:28 AM
Again, just because we like your vacation spots doesn't mean we want to merge with that disaster of an economy.

Vacation spots? I live here!

Displaced Flames fan
11-13-2013, 07:30 AM
Who exactly has claimed that in this thread?

I'm not sure anybody has. I was just having a little fun.

rotten42
11-13-2013, 07:45 AM

To be fair the whitefish people are more like Canadain's than American anyway.

Table 5
11-13-2013, 08:23 AM
and Colorado, it can be the Canadian Alaska ... just south, with better beer.

Colorado felt a little redundant, as we already have Alberta. Plus it's stuck in the middle of the country and I don't really want the ones around it. A little too much mass-shootin' in that state too (Colombine, Aurora)...they'd probably never go for our gun laws (neither would Alaska of course). I want states that already share some of our values and would easily assimilate.

And I just want Hawaii, because Hawaii.

SeeBass
11-13-2013, 08:59 AM
In my lifetime I have swung back and forth on this.

When the dollar was a 63 cents I was all "hell yes" and now that our economy appears more stable I am in the "hell no" camp.

troutman
11-13-2013, 09:04 AM
Alaska should merge with Canada.

Hemi-Cuda
11-13-2013, 09:26 AM

That's because Canada still has a middle class. The people in America are awesome (for the most part), the scenery is beautiful, and the similar culture makes it an easy place to visit and enjoy. But the poisonous politics and unregulated capitalism at any cost mentality scare me away from ever contemplating moving to the US, and that's why you see such a passionate response from Canadians in a thread like this. Your economy is unpredictable (based on a crash-recovery cycle for over a century), your healthcare system is a complete mess, and your government favors funding a massively bloated military machine over things like education and social welfare. Why in the world would we want to get involved in that?

darklord700
11-13-2013, 09:29 AM
If by doing that we get an NFL team here, I'll say yes.

Cali Panthers Fan
11-13-2013, 09:31 AM
Been living here for almost 4 years now and there is a distinctive cultural difference that I don't think a lot of Canadians can stomach. It's a very individualistic culture in major cities with little caring or compassion for your fellow human being, especially on the road. That being said, when I've travelled to less urban areas people are warm and friendly and good natured, but then they like their guns a LOT in those areas.

The bay area in particular is one of the most amazing places to live in terms of culture, science, food, nature etc. but it's so overwhelmed with people that the economics of living here permanently are not feasible unless you're making a ton of money. There is serious economic disparity in this area and it's a microcosm of the U.S. as a whole. The "American Dream" is disappearing quickly and the U.S. is becoming a permanent class system. Yes, there are less very wealthy people in Canada, but how much do you really need? Greed is still the way of life in the U.S. for most people, but there are pockets of progressives trying to change the culture…it's just not going to change anytime soon.

I'm also wary of the U.S. taking all of our resources for a song, leaving behind the environmental impact for us to clean up and the locals to deal with. Also, this would exacerbate the problem of Canadian "brain drain" to the U.S. as there would be fewer restrictions to working in the U.S. and there's a lot more money for the same position down here than there is in Canada, especially in the health care field.

This isn't a great deal for Canada and the argument that we can't patrol our northern border is a red herring. People are talking about an EU type situation, well IMO we already have that with so many distinct economies and cultures within Canada to manage. I don't think we need to take on more than that.

Cali Panthers Fan
11-13-2013, 09:31 AM
Alaska should merge with Canada.

This I agree with. They are so like Canadians in every way except for gun control that it only makes sense.

Displaced Flames fan
11-13-2013, 10:47 AM
That's because Canada still has a middle class. The people in America are awesome (for the most part), the scenery is beautiful, and the similar culture makes it an easy place to visit and enjoy. But the poisonous politics and unregulated capitalism at any cost mentality scare me away from ever contemplating moving to the US, and that's why you see such a passionate response from Canadians in a thread like this. Your economy is unpredictable (based on a crash-recovery cycle for over a century), your healthcare system is a complete mess, and your government favors funding a massively bloated military machine over things like education and social welfare. Why in the world would we want to get involved in that?

Oh, I understand. Believe me.

If I lived in Canada I wouldn't want to move here either!

I will tell you, though, that it is a lot nicer being 60 miles from the border than 1200 from my perspective.

wookster
11-13-2013, 10:56 AM

I was in Whitefish not that long ago...maybe we've met. And if I fell into that "almost" category I sincerely apologize and lay blame to the very affordably priced beer you have. ;)

Seriously though, my ski trips to whitefish have been among the most epic I've ever been on...fun place for sures.

Coach
11-13-2013, 11:19 AM
I doubt most people would even notice a real difference in their day-to-day lives if it happened. Unless Canadians were being rounded up and put in gulags, I don't think the change would be worth dying over.

Many regions, states and even cities have maintained unique identities within the U.S., so I don't see why a "North American" country couldn't have 10 provinces with distinct Canadian identities. Also, perhaps not a popular opinion here, but I consider Americans and Canadians to be basically the same culture.

I'm also convinced that nation states as we know them won't exist in the next 100 years anyway.

While the people may have similar attitudes/demeanor/language, when merging two countries a lot more has to be taken into account than just the likeness of citizens. We differ in many fundamental ways that just would not gel. Health care, gun control, economic policy, foriegn policy, and basic political ideology are all very different between the two countries. You could never convince me that an injection of American political ideals would be a benefit to Canada. EDIT: And conversely, I don't think you could convince the US as a whole to take on Canada's "socialism" as it is their most feared word/concept.

Although I do agree with your last point, in order for the human race to progress beyond our current state, the idea of nations and acting in the best interest of your country rather than the world as a whole has to undergo a major shift. But that's a different discussion and involves much greater accomplishments in order to acheive (ie World peace).

Vacation spots? I live here!

It's a vacation spot for us. That's the point.

Bane
11-13-2013, 12:15 PM
Tell you what, the US can have Toronto and Winnipeg. Canada gets New Orleans and Alaska in return.

And I get Kate Upton for brokering the deal.

PIMking
11-13-2013, 03:43 PM
nm

MrMastodonFarm
11-13-2013, 03:49 PM
The king and queen wouldn't be on our money that's for sure

American would love an American monarchy.

Coach
11-13-2013, 03:49 PM
You realize that Colorado passed a bunch of super strict knee jerk reaction gun laws right after Aurora. (btw Aurora was in a gun free zone)

Not everyone is a psychopath that goes out and kills people because their mommy didn't hug them enough. I find it interesting that some are so scared of mass shootings and guns but laugh at me when I say that I carry concealed for that reason of personal defense.

/rant

In reality, I highly doubt that we would notice that much of a difference. Maybe a little but not that much.

The king and queen wouldn't be on our money that's for sure

It's because, just like you, some psychopath can have a concealed weapon. Does it not seem logical that if no one is allowed a concealed weapon, no one needs a concealed weapon?

And if you dont take the King and Queen, you don't get our healthcare, land, oil, better beer, hotter women, and basically everything we have that is better than yours. Which is most things.

I'd like to see Canada invest in the US economy......by purchasing Hawaii.

PIMking
11-13-2013, 04:06 PM
It's because, just like you, some psychopath can have a concealed weapon. Does it not seem logical that if no one is allowed a concealed weapon, no one needs a concealed weapon?

And if you dont take the King and Queen, you don't get our healthcare, land, oil, better beer, hotter women, and basically everything we have that is better than yours. Which is most things.

I'm not a drinker, so beer doesn't matter, I may be conservative but I've been an advocate of the single payer system, and Hotter women? LOL that can be debated but I guess some would take a trip to the great beaches of British Columbia over Miami or California?

No no no, you have to take it over like we did by kicking the queen out.

I've been through training for my concealed license, the federal, state, county, and local governments have done extreme background checks on me to get my CCL. I'm not some thug with a pistol in the waistband of my pants looking to score some drugs.

I carry to protect myself from the thugs who would rather rob someone than make a living legally.

PIMking
11-13-2013, 04:08 PM
American would love an American monarchy.
we already have one....

PIMking
11-13-2013, 04:22 PM
all in all, I love you canadian's, just like I love my neighbor, but I really don't want to share my house with them as much as I don't want you to share yours with me.

We're a lot alike, but real different too. It's best for us to keep our brotherly relationship as it is and continue to make fun of one another.

Coach
11-13-2013, 04:28 PM
I'm not a drinker, so beer doesn't matter, I may be conservative but I've been an advocate of the single payer system, and Hotter women? LOL that can be debated but I guess some would take a trip to the great beaches of British Columbia over Miami or California?

No no no, you have to take it over like we did by kicking the queen out.

I've been through training for my concealed license, the federal, state, county, and local governments have done extreme background checks on me to get my CCL. I'm not some thug with a pistol in the waistband of my pants looking to score some drugs.

I carry to protect myself from the thugs who would rather rob someone than make a living legally.

Well my post was mostly tongue in cheek, but I think you took my point on guns incorrectly. My point is that a psychopath could get a concealed weapon license, just like yourself. But if no one is allowed to carry concealed weapons whats the fear?

How many Canadians in here feel a daily threat of robbery is strong enough to carry a gun? Dont want to start a gun debate, its just interesting that you feel threatened enough by where ever you live that having a gun on your hip is the only way to feel safe. Doesn't that say a lot about the state of your city/state/nation?

PIMking
11-13-2013, 04:42 PM
Well my post was mostly tongue in cheek, but I think you took my point on guns incorrectly. My point is that a psychopath could get a concealed weapon license, just like yourself. But if no one is allowed to carry concealed weapons whats the fear?

How many Canadians in here feel a daily threat of robbery is strong enough to carry a gun? Dont want to start a gun debate, its just interesting that you feel threatened enough by where ever you live that having a gun on your hip is the only way to feel safe. Doesn't that say a lot about the state of your city/state/nation?
You're not suppose to shoot people it's illegal, schools or at movies theaters but crazy "mommy didn't hug me" idiots go and do it.

The main reason why I carry a gun is when the idiot that wanted "suicide by cop" here in Tuscaloosa went off and shot his AK into a bar was able to leave the scene of the crime faster than the police's 1min response time. It's too cumbersome to carry a cop at all times. They're a reactionary force that can only do something once it has happened. But I've also said before a gun doesn't make me any stronger or more of a man. That is my brain, and I wouldn't just start shooting like all the keyboard cowboys say they would do if the situation comes.

Two thugs shot a guy last saturday here in town because he "was a Bama Fan" seriously! people are crazy!!!!

missdpuck
11-13-2013, 04:43 PM
Mexican Coke rules. Yes, the soda.

moon
11-13-2013, 04:46 PM

Hey add Bale, Ramsey, Williams and maybe Marshall in net over Hart to the current England team and GB would be a pretty impressive team.

Coach
11-13-2013, 04:52 PM
Two thugs shot a guy last saturday here in town because he "was a Bama Fan" seriously! people are crazy!!!!

See, this is why we don't want you guys.

I'll ignore the rest of the gun stuff though, don't want this to spiral into one of those threads. I am curious though, is it legal for that man to have that AK?

GoinAllTheWay
11-13-2013, 05:00 PM
Does it not seem logical that if no one is allowed a concealed weapon, no one needs a concealed weapon?

Sadly, no. We aren't allowed concealed weapons anywhere in Canada yet willing to bet there are hundreds on the streets of Calgary at this very moment.

Not suggesting that as a result, we should allow people to conceal carry. Just pointing out that just because it's not allowed doesn't mean it isn't happening.

Coach
11-13-2013, 05:04 PM
Sadly, no. We aren't allowed concealed weapons anywhere in Canada yet willing to bet there are hundreds on the streets of Calgary at this very moment.

Not suggesting that as a result, we should allow people to conceal carry. Just pointing out that just because it's not allowed doesn't mean it isn't happening.

Oh I agree, you're never going to get rid of all of it.

Well you could, but you would have to disarm the entire planet. Which would be nice, but not likely.

HOWITZER
11-13-2013, 05:21 PM
Came across this, thought I might just leave it here for you to debate.

Washington Post Article (http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/govbeat/wp/2013/11/08/which-of-the-11-american-nations-do-you-live-in/)

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/govbeat/files/2013/11/upinarms-map.jpg
-Photo from Link

It irks me that they call it the 11 American nations. I don't live in America, I live in Canada, and (no offence to my lovely southern neighbours, and my extended family) I don't want to be associated with America.

--
On the merger, I could see an economic union working, but I would be extremely wary on giving American enterprise full-reign to do what they please in Canada. I think the EU has worked okay because many of the countries have similarly sized economies, meaning no one country dominates. But the German/Portuguese/Greek/Irish divide illustrates that one country's size and economic might can potentially cripple another smaller country. In Canada, we're that smaller country.

I would be 100% in favour of easing border restrictions, and letting goods travel easily between the countries, but first and foremost we need to fix those problems between the provinces. If total free-trade between provinces works, then we can talk about Canada-US open economic tie.

Daradon
11-13-2013, 05:29 PM

As long as your talking guns and not other weapons like knives, I would take that bet in an instant. There simply are not hundreds on the street in Calgary at this moment. There aren't even that many gun convictions in a year. Yeah, I know if you have one hidden, you may not get charged, and that's the whole point of course, but hundreds is a big stretch. The stats just don't indicate that at all. Even if you think about it logically it doesn't make sense. How many of 1 million people in Calgary are criminals? Then what percentage of them are continuing dangerous offenders? Then what percentage carry guns daily? The numbers just aren't there.

Now, I'll agree, that that probably isn't because of the law outlawing them, it's more of the culture. But there isn't hundreds of illegal guns on the streets of Calgary.

Daradon
11-13-2013, 05:31 PM
You're not suppose to shoot people it's illegal, schools or at movies theaters but crazy "mommy didn't hug me" idiots go and do it.

The main reason why I carry a gun is when the idiot that wanted "suicide by cop" here in Tuscaloosa went off and shot his AK into a bar was able to leave the scene of the crime faster than the police's 1min response time. It's too cumbersome to carry a cop at all times. They're a reactionary force that can only do something once it has happened. But I've also said before a gun doesn't make me any stronger or more of a man. That is my brain, and I wouldn't just start shooting like all the keyboard cowboys say they would do if the situation comes.

But see, you're kinda just agreeing with his point. It's sad to exist in a culture where you feel (rightly or wrongly) you need a gun to keep yourself safe.

We don't have that there. We feel safe enough. In fact, most feel safer in not carrying them, as they do cause accidents.

DuffMan
11-13-2013, 06:37 PM

And right here you have the exact reason I am not interested,

PIMking
11-13-2013, 06:47 PM
See, this is why we don't want you guys.

I'll ignore the rest of the gun stuff though, don't want this to spiral into one of those threads. I am curious though, is it legal for that man to have that AK?

Well yes and no, it was a semi auto model so as long as he was legally able to obtain a firearm then it was legal. To get a fully auto rifle you have to go through so serious hard background stuff and pay a stupid crazy expensive fee.

Resolute 14
11-13-2013, 06:56 PM
We already have a close economic partnership with the US. Formalizing it (beyond NAFTA and the like) doesn't serve any real purpose.

MrMastodonFarm
11-13-2013, 07:10 PM
And right here you have the exact reason I am not interested,

Every time Pimking talks about gun laws, makes endless College football references, openly admits how proud he is to be a gun carrier I always get the feeling Displaced Flames Fan dies a little on the inside. He's put so much work into being a rather normal every day American then this guy comes along and ruins it all.

Zarley
11-13-2013, 07:53 PM
It irks me that they call it the 11 American nations. I don't live in America, I live in Canada, and (no offence to my lovely southern neighbours, and my extended family) I don't want to be associated with America.

You do realize that Canada is part of America as it stands, no?

jayswin
11-13-2013, 07:56 PM
^^^^^^

Going the semantics route, I see? ;)

Daradon
11-13-2013, 07:59 PM
Every time Pimking talks about gun laws, makes endless College football references, openly admits how proud he is to be a gun carrier I always get the feeling Displaced Flames Fan dies a little on the inside. He's put so much work into being a rather normal every day American then this guy comes along and ruins it all.

Heheh, or maybe a little vicarious joy?

HOWITZER
11-13-2013, 08:34 PM
You do realize that Canada is part of America as it stands, no?

Yeah, as is Brazil, Argentina, Chile, Mexico, etc.

My point is that the term "America" in general/political/media circles is almost exclusively reserved for the USA. So, as long as the mass interprets "11 Nations of America" as "11 Nations of the United States", I will take issue with it.

Coach
11-13-2013, 09:05 PM
Well yes and no, it was a semi auto model so as long as he was legally able to obtain a firearm then it was legal. To get a fully auto rifle you have to go through so serious hard background stuff and pay a stupid crazy expensive fee.

And you don't see the correlation there? If the guy isn't allowed to get an AK, that likely doesn't happen. Yeah he could probably obtain one illegally, but you don't think making it illegal in general would make it less likely that someone carries an AK into an establishment and shoots it up?

PIMking
11-13-2013, 09:06 PM
And you don't see the correlation there? If the guy isn't allowed to get an AK, that likely doesn't happen. Yeah he could probably obtain one illegally, but you don't think making it illegal in general would make it less likely that someone carries an AK into an establishment and shoots it up?

I totally agree. I've stated that if all guns would be turned in I would be all for it and turn mine in. But in reality it won't be. (Let's end the gun talk)

Coach
11-13-2013, 09:10 PM
I totally agree. I've stated that if all guns would be turned in I would be all for it. But in reality it won't be. (Let's end the gun talk)

Fair enough. A gentleman's debate!

But the gun talk was just 1 example in a short list of reasons why, while we may seem similar, there are vast ideological differences between Americans and Canadians that will just not allow this to happen

calgarywinning
11-13-2013, 09:16 PM
Russians have predicted the economic collapse of America to be 2017. They are trying to marshall their people off the US dollar in time for this collapse. Nations that rely on the US Dollar will suffer as reported by the Washington Post.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2013/nov/13/bill-would-outlaw-us-dollar-russia/

Also, while the CP debate rages on a record number of US Citizens expatriating has reached new highs according to CNBC

http://www.cnbc.com/id/101195604

Coach
11-13-2013, 09:21 PM
Russians have predicted the economic collapse of America to be 2017. They are trying to marshall their people off the US dollar in time for this collapse. Nations that rely on the US Dollar will suffer as reported by the Washington Post.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2013/nov/13/bill-would-outlaw-us-dollar-russia/

Also, while the CP debate rages on a record number of US Citizens expatriating has reached new highs according to CNBC

http://www.cnbc.com/id/101195604

As a dual citizen I've honestly been considering this. I keep hearing "no, no its a nice advantage you can go work there blah blah..." but really, with the way things are going, citizenship won't matter much for working in one country or the other. Plus, I'd much rather live in Canada anyways (although I have always wanted/still want to live on the East Coast at some point.

But the only advantage I have been graced with so far is filing US taxes....yay.

TorqueDog
11-13-2013, 09:59 PM
Sell them Quebec (except Montreal) for a profit and tell them it's Canada.Fixed. They can have the ROQ. Montreal stays with us.

I would NOT favour any sort of merger, including an EU-style 'economic' merger.

DuffMan
11-13-2013, 10:01 PM
The main reason why I carry a gun is ......?!!

Yep, definitely not interested.

PIMking
11-13-2013, 10:03 PM
Yep, definitely not interested.

Will you stfu and quit trolling like a little kid?

DuffMan
11-13-2013, 10:09 PM
Will you stfu and quit trolling like a little kid?

Ha ha sure thing dude.

The main reason why I carry a gun is when the idiot that wanted "suicide by cop" here in Tuscaloosa

Temporary_User
11-13-2013, 11:08 PM
I would be fine with the U.S. Banning guns if it was an actual ban. Normal police having guns and not allowing citizens to is ridiculous. Britain has it right here.

Displaced Flames fan
11-14-2013, 07:21 AM

No one is allowed to rape children. No one is allowed to drink and drive their car into mini-vans carrying families. No one is allowed to consume bath salts and eats other people's faces. It may be logical to you (based on your previous post) but it is not reality.

I've already stated that despite being surrounded by gun toting folks, I don't have a fear of being killed that has prompted me to carry my own (and I'm comfortable with guns). However, you can't simply dismiss the fear of others because you and I don't share it.

Now, explain to me how not allowing people to possess firearms is going to prevent gun crime. All that accomplishes is punishing law abiding gun owners.

Restrict, monitor and over time you might accompish something.

Coach
11-14-2013, 09:04 AM
EDIT: Nvm. Don't want this being a gun control thread.

My original point on gun control was just one reason given as to why Americans and Canadians just couldn't be governed under one system.

icarus
11-14-2013, 09:59 AM

Since this thread has gone off topic, I thought I'd let you know Dis that I saw a full-sized billboard advertisement for Whitefish here in London the other day. I couldn't believe it!

Displaced Flames fan
11-14-2013, 11:14 AM
EDIT: Nvm. Don't want this being a gun control thread.

My original point on gun control was just one reason given as to why Americans and Canadians just couldn't be governed under one system.

Good call. Feel free to PM me if you would like to have a constructive and civil discussion. I am game.

1stLand
11-14-2013, 11:25 AM
I love Canada.
I wish we paid less taxes like the states but then again having free healthcare is awesome.
I am surprised how many so called patriotic Canadians who live in Alberta have barely even seen a fraction of this country.
Drive across Canada and you will appreciate it more.

DownhillGoat
11-14-2013, 11:41 AM
I wish we paid less taxes like the states but then again having free healthcare is awesome.
IMO the value of what we get out of taxes paid is actually pretty decent here (well, in Alberta at least). And seeing some cities/states so hard up, and still keeping taxes so low is just mind boggling.

However one thing I do wish is that mortgage interest was tax deducatble like the US.

habernac
11-14-2013, 12:01 PM

Dis, we want Montana as well

Plett25
11-14-2013, 12:16 PM
They might pay less in tax but if you want to compare apples to apples:

Canadian tax + Canadian health insurance < US tax + US health insurance

Plett25
11-14-2013, 12:19 PM
However one thing I do wish is that mortgage interest was tax deducatble like the US.
I believe in the US, mortgage interest is deductible, but the gain on the sale of your house is taxable. In Canada, mortgage interest is not deductible, but the gain on the sale of your house isn't taxed either.

I like our system better, and that's before considering the effect of mortgage interest destructibility on housing bubbles.

DuffMan
11-14-2013, 08:46 PM
Now, explain to me how not allowing people to possess firearms is going to prevent gun crime. All that accomplishes is punishing law abiding gun owners.

Uh, because if no one had guns, there probably wouldn't be any gun crimes, not sure how that is confusing. But then if no one had guns, the tyrannical govt will take over right? Like the nazis and pol pot and Stalin etc.

Daradon
11-14-2013, 08:53 PM
You guys both have points, but seem to be ignoring them.

On one side DuffMan is right, but only if you start the system like that. Of course having more restrictive gun laws would decrease gun crime. Dramatically if done right. Yes a few will still slip in, but it would cut it down.

However, in the system as it is now, DFF is right, making highly restrictive laws now wouldn't accomplish much, the guns are already there.

There. Settled.

DuffMan
11-14-2013, 09:04 PM
You guys both have points, but seem to be ignoring them.

On one side DuffMan is right, but only if you start the system like that. Of course having more restrictive gun laws would decrease gun crime. Dramatically if done right. Yes a few will still slip in, but it would cut it down.

However, in the system as it is now, DFF is right, making highly restrictive laws now wouldn't accomplish much, the guns are already there.

There. Settled.

Ok, so why bother, right? Just leave it the way it is and continue to have the most gun deaths/injuries per capita by far, than any other civilized country. Continue putting guns into the hands of the Lanza, Holmes's, laughner's etc.

Which brings me back to my point, merging with them would be like marrying that psychotic girl who cuts herself. No thanks.

Daradon
11-14-2013, 11:01 PM
Hey, I'm not saying 'why bother?' I've argued for more common sense restrictions many times. Background checks, certain bans, etc. The thing is, I believe DFF has too, so watching the two of you go back and forth was kinda painful as you were both arguing the extreme side of your points and not getting anywhere.

As for the merge, the original question was more about economic merger anyway so this over the top patriotism is just problematic. Obviously very few people on either side would want a full merge. It's a dumb question. It would never happen.

OP should have been more clear, especially with the thread title, but it's not about a merge in that sense.

Mr.Coffee
11-14-2013, 11:09 PM
There's a certain arrogance about Canadians and Calgarians specifically that is really off-putting. As a Canadian it's always just a little embarrassing to read or hear about how much better our country is.

I have a sense that arrogance has caused a lot of the problems that are leading to the American empire's decline (basically what we are witnessing the beginning of). I could be wrong, but there's no other attitude or perspective like it in terms of social acceptance when in reality it's more like an excuse to be ignorant or refusal to understand.

FlamesAddiction
11-15-2013, 09:59 AM
There's a certain arrogance about Canadians and Calgarians specifically that is really off-putting. As a Canadian it's always just a little embarrassing to read or hear about how much better our country is.

I have a sense that arrogance has caused a lot of the problems that are leading to the American empire's decline (basically what we are witnessing the beginning of). I could be wrong, but there's no other attitude or perspective like it in terms of social acceptance when in reality it's more like an excuse to be ignorant or refusal to understand.
Yeah..... I mean, there are some things that I really do think Canada does a little better than the U.S., but I wish we would be more humble about it. I get that in the past, we have had to put up with some of that from the U.S., but it's still annoying when we do it back. Having said that, there are some things that the U.S. does right that we can learn from. It shouldn't be so much about rivalry as it is about learning from each other and acknowledging that there are differences without it having to be a competition.

Canada is in this big influential sphere dominated by the U.S. though, and I think that is partly why it has become part of the national psyche to drive home points where we do things differently or excel in areas the U.S. doesn't.

undercoverbrother
11-15-2013, 10:00 AM
Yeah..... I mean, there are some things that I really do think Canada does a little better than the U.S., but I wish we would be more humble about it. I get that in the past, we have had to put up with some of that from the U.S., but it's still annoying when we do it back. Having said that, there are some things that the U.S. does right that we can learn from. It shouldn't be so much about rivalry as it is about learning from each other and acknowledging that there are differences without it having to be a competition.

Canada is in this big influential sphere dominated by the U.S. though, and I think that is partly why it has become part of the national psyche to drive home points where we do things differently or excel in areas the U.S. doesn't.

Can you provide examples?

FlamesAddiction
11-15-2013, 10:07 AM
Can you provide examples?

Just a personal opinion, but I do like republic structured governments as opposed to constitutional monarchy/parliamentary systems. I think our system is less efficient and creates too much bureaucratic red tape. There are other little things... like for example, the U.S. has a history of being a friendlier environment for entrpreneurs.

Also weather.... they are much better at weather! :D

Also, just to add....as much as we get tired of their national self-promotion globally, it has served them well as they have used it to lure some of the most creative and brilliant people from abroad to their nation.

CaptainCrunch
11-15-2013, 10:10 AM

This I would agree with as well. I also think and this board is very guilty of it is the whole stereotyping Americans and making completely arrogant statements about America.

For the most part America is a incredibly generous nation thats pretty well intentioned with good people. Does it have flaws? Absolutely, does it have big flaws? Absolutely.

But some times I feel that Canadians are becoming the loudmouthed abrasive bunch with shortmans syndrome. In the past Canada offered solutions, now it just seems that Canadians offer criticism just so that we can feel better about how we do things.

America has done a lot of things wrong especially since the end of the cold war. I believe as a country they have lost their way and faltered. But it just seems that as a nation we would rather rub their faces in it and snicker while saying Murricans then actually debate the issue or be the least bit constructive.

Maybe its because the Yanks when they mess up do it all the way. Maybe its because their culture is far different then ours being born via revolution. But they are a nation that for the most part is generous and helpful, and I would rather live next to them then China or the Soviet Union or the other great powers.

Like it or hate it, the Yanks have treated us well, and have helped us when needed.

I think we take a very small group or backwards or misguided or just plane dumb American's and project it on everyone and then use that to project our own need to feel superior.

Just my 2 cents

Plett25
11-15-2013, 10:24 AM
Mr. Coffee and Captain Crunch are singling out Canadians for doing the exact same thing every other nationality does.

Temporary_User
11-15-2013, 10:25 AM
Can you provide examples?Really? Do you know absolutely nothing about the States? You should learn about the world around you a bit.

undercoverbrother
11-15-2013, 10:34 AM
Really? Do you know absolutely nothing about the States? You should learn about the world around you a bit.

Really? Do I have the ability to read FlamesAddiction's mind? This is a messageboard, where people post thoughts/opinons and ideas.

He said he thought "the US did some things right", I asked what those things were.

It was a perfectly good question, a question that didn't seem to upset the answerer.

So keep your #### to yourself.

CaptainCrunch
11-15-2013, 10:43 AM
Mr. Coffee and Captain Crunch are singling out Canadians for doing the exact same thing every other nationality does.

Maybe its because of where I live. But it seems to be way more ingrained in Canada lately and the way that we confront the issues.

HockeyIlliterate
11-15-2013, 10:46 AM
I believe in the US, mortgage interest is deductible, but the gain on the sale of your house is taxable.

This isn't entirely accurate. A gain on the sale of your house in the US may be tax-free, if certain conditions are met.

Very simply, an individual can exclude from taxation up to $250,000 (and married couples can exclude up to $500,000) in profit from the sale of their primary residence provided that they have lived in the home for a minimum of two years.

There's a certain arrogance about Canadians and Calgarians specifically that is really off-putting.

Agreed, and what is most annoying about it--from my perspective--is that the assertion of Canadian greatness appears to be done with little to no admission that Canada is what it is today precisely because of its relationship* with the US. Canada benefits greatly by being connected with the US, just as the US benefits greatly by being connected with Canada.

I don't think that either country is "better" than the other, but I do tend to believe that, over time, Canada will become more like the US and that the US will become more like Canada.

* Geographic, historical, economic, etc.

Temporary_User
11-15-2013, 10:52 AM
Really? Do I have the ability to read FlamesAddiction's mind? This is a messageboard, where people post thoughts/opinons and ideas.

He said he thought "the US did some things right", I asked what those things were.

It was a perfectly good question, a question that didn't seem to upset the answerer.

So keep your #### to yourself.Sure bud :rolleyes:

He also said Canada did some things right, but you never asked for examples of those. Your message came across as ignorant about the world around you. I suggest you learn more about it.

undercoverbrother
11-15-2013, 10:59 AM
Sure bud :rolleyes:

He also said Canada did some things right, but you never asked for examples of those. .

Sure pal :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Perhaps, just perhaps, I was interested in the portion of his post about what he felt the US did right.

Did you have an extra helping of chocolate covered ####### for breakfast?

Your message came across as ignorant about the world around you. I suggest you learn more about it

Oh there is somebody coming across as ignorant in this exchange.......

Cuz
11-15-2013, 12:43 PM
Just a personal opinion, but I do like republic structured governments as opposed to constitutional monarchy/parliamentary systems. I think our system is less efficient and creates too much bureaucratic red tape. There are other little things... like for example, the U.S. has a history of being a friendlier environment for entrpreneurs.

Also, just to add....as much as we get tired of their national self-promotion globally, it has served them well as they have used it to lure some of the most creative and brilliant people from abroad to their nation.

I would disagree with your assertion that a republic system of government is less efficient than our Westminster form of government. In our system, with the integration of the executive and legislative branches of government, legislation is passed easily, at least under a majority government. Under the US system, bills have to pass through congress, then the senate before receiving final approval from the president. When either of the parties does not possess a majority in each body, we can witness legislative deadlock, as we did with the debt ceiling/budget debates recently. I think bureaucratic red tape exists in similar amounts in each country.

I had a poli sci prof who put the difference between the two systems best. The Westminster model is designed to enhance government action, whereas the republic model is designed to limit government action.

SeeBass
11-16-2013, 06:27 AM
Maybe its because of where I live. But it seems to be way more ingrained in Canada lately and the way that we confront the issues.

I just think that being Canadian is "not being American".

Its that simple we try so hard not to be them, we carry it too far at times, I get embarrassed about it now.

Can't we just be Canadians instead of being those people trying hard not to be Americans.

Displaced Flames fan
11-16-2013, 09:51 AM
I just think that being Canadian is "not being American".

Its that simple we try so hard not to be them, we carry it too far at times, I get embarrassed about it now.

Can't we just be Canadians instead of being those people trying hard not to be Americans.

I think some form/level of National pride is admirable. Some people on both sides of our border define themselves by it though. Those are the folks that bug me.

Honestly, if I'm making a list of what defines me, 'American' would be several spots down the list....and it would be behind 'Montanan'. I don't even root for all the American participants in the Olympics...I tend to root for people over Nation. I'm sure I'm in a distinct minority.

I'm not saying I'm not proud to be American. I just don't buy that I'm better than everyone else that isn't American because I am.

Displaced Flames fan
11-16-2013, 09:56 AM
Uh, because if no one had guns, there probably wouldn't be any gun crimes, not sure how that is confusing. But then if no one had guns, the tyrannical govt will take over right? Like the nazis and pol pot and Stalin etc.

How would you propose to ensure that no one has guns? Simply pass a law?

It's not that it is confusing Duff. It's that it is unrealistic. You don't simply ban guns and be rid of them.

Lanny_McDonald
11-16-2013, 11:37 AM

When you say that it is more functional you mean like almost sending the planet into another global economic depression, multiple times in the past six years? Or more functional in that special interests and corporations have more power than an actual person? Or more functional in actually being able to govern, rather than fight and struggle for more power associated with the office?

The decline of the American empire is a direct result of the failure of their system of government. Abuses within the system caused Communism to fail, much to the glee of Americans, but corruption in the republican form of government is causing it fail at all levels. The lack of diversity in ideas and opinions has ground the system to a halt.

Them Americans sure do know how to build and manage them some good weather. :bag:

Sadly, that self-promotion has also hurt them. When you make promises of the American dream, and people come to to pursue it, they had better be able to achieve it or you look like another snake oil salesman. The American dream is dead. It went on life support in the 70's and died in the 90's. Student come to take advantage of the education system and then return to their homelands. The decline in the United States is substantial, and it is a result of their own twisted beliefs that the rights of the individual supersede those of society. The selfishness is leading them to their demise. I hope and pray Canada, who follows the United States at every cultural turn, doesn't end up the same way.