PDA

View Full Version : Negotiating Price of Used Vehicle - Suggested Approach/Tips

cral12
11-10-2013, 12:17 PM
(Couldn't find a recent thread)

Kinda like a NHL GM looking to acquire a player (think Flames Feaster & Smid trade with Oilers), looking for advice on negotiating for a used car.

Any tips and thoughts welcomed...

Vehicle I'm looking at asking price is $39,900.

Red Deer dealer has very similar model offered at $37,000
EDM dealer w/ similar one for $38,000

$35-37900, estimated Canada Blackbook value

41,400 avg asking price

Fusebox
11-10-2013, 12:34 PM
Please provide more details, like what kind of car it is, model, kms, etc.

You've got to come up with a fair number, offer that, and be prepared to walk away if they don't accept it.

ken0042
11-10-2013, 03:24 PM
Also, are you buying from a regular dealer (one with new and used cars, and a service dept), a used car dealership (all they sell is used), or private sale?

TSXCman
11-10-2013, 04:29 PM
cral12, I would recommend taking the wear and km into consideration for your reference cars. Try to use the $37K in Red Deer as leverage, but don't be too smug or anything about the way your comparing.

Perfect timing for this type of thread, I hope to learn something as well.

Look at the ~$30K mark for EVOs and STis, and do it in a way that I can resell at as close to my purchasing price as possible.

Best to go through private purchase or dealer for this? For both inside and out of warranty years.

Red John
11-10-2013, 04:33 PM
Could be wrong on this but isn't VMR Canada more accurate than Black book?

TSXCman
11-10-2013, 04:49 PM
Nice, VMR is helpful

Derek Sutton
11-10-2013, 05:12 PM
Haggling with a dealer can be fun, especially on a used car. They likely paid 75% of what they are asking, maybe even less if it was a trade in, so there is usually a lot of room to move. My Dad just traded in his Sienna, Toyota mini van, on a brand new one. They got 8k for it, it needed some basic work done, high Kim's etc... All the dealer did was clean it up nap slap a price tag on it of 14k.

A salesman will also take any reasonable offer to management, he wants the sale more then anyone. My buddy just sold an 09 Tahoe and the first offer he presented was 8 thousand under list price and ended up selling it for 5 thousand less the it was listed for. The dealer then made up for it by selling all the service packages, loan insurance and all the ad on/ up sell crap.

A private deal is obviously different but I got this advice from a friend and did it when buying my trailer. Get a bank draft made out for two thousand ( or thereabouts) less then the asking price, get it for what you want to pay. Then take extra cash for what you are willing to pay. When or if they turn down the bank draft, ask them how much more cash it will take? Then pay what you are comfortable with.

My trailer was listed for 12k which was a decent price. Phoned the guy and offer 10 over the phone, he said no, I then told him I wanted to come see it. I went with a bank draft for 10k and 1500 cash. I looked at it again and told him I wanted it and gave him the bank draft, he said that it wasn't enough. I asked him how many 100's (dollar bills) he needed to go with it he told 5 so I gave home another $500 and it was a done deal. *Except I took my afore mentioned friend along and he laughed and said I better give him another one cause I had "at least five more in there". So i did, it was still a good deal and it made both of us laugh.

Cuz
11-10-2013, 07:20 PM
Biggest piece of advice, as has already been mentioned, is to be willing to walk away from the deal, just don't be a dick about it, especially if it's a private seller. Thank them for their time and be on your way. You'd be surprised at how this can work if it's a dealer.

If you're dealing with a dealer, at that price point, you should have at least 5 grand to play with. Dealers have a far larger profit margin on used vehicles than on new ones, so use that knowledge to your advantage. When dealing with used vehicles, dealers make their money by being smart with their buys, whether they acquire the vehicle via trade in or at auction.

cral12
11-10-2013, 10:36 PM
Thanks all - this is from a dealer. Salesman states the vehicle is a lease back.

The comparables I have are similar condition and kms.

Like all the advice!

cral12
01-01-2014, 09:32 PM
Wow - 2 months later and I still haven't pulled the trigger. I wasn't in a rush before - more or less researching what vehicle I really want. Looks like I'm fairly settled on on the vehicle and I'll likely be buying in the next month or so.

Came across this article if anyone interested - some good tips in the comments section as well:
Link: http://www.artofmanliness.com/2010/06/16/how-to-negotiate-for-a-used-car/

Opinions welcomed on this:
At want point in the negotiation should you reveal you may want to trade in your current vehicle. Does doing so up front impact your negotiating “power”?

Buff
01-01-2014, 09:46 PM
Bring a thermal detonator.

cral12
01-01-2014, 09:48 PM
Any experiences with specific dealers would be interesting as well...

Dion
01-01-2014, 10:12 PM
Any experiences with specific dealers would be interesting as well...

Have always had positive experiences with High River Ford.

Sylvanfan
01-01-2014, 10:17 PM
Bring in a hired gun to negotiate for you. Someone who doesn't care one iota about getting the vehicle and will create a scene. Decide beforehand what your max number is and offer him/her 50% of the difference. Example...you decide you will be willingto pay 37 taxes in....the negotiator gets it for 36....they get 500 for their work.

Sliver
01-02-2014, 07:51 AM
I think you are over thinking this. Step one is to ask what his rock bottom price is. Boom, now you have a new starting point from which to hammer him down. Step two is to pretend to be disappointed and a bit surprised that he didn't come down nearly as much as you thought he should have. He'll see your surprise, then ask what you think is fair, present your low ball offer at this time, meet somewhere in the middle, then enjoy the thousands in savings.

Keep in mind that the buyer has a ton of power. Selling a car sucks. It can feel like nobody wants it and you'll be stuck with it forever. As the buyer, you need to leverage that to get the best deal you can and you can always get it for lower than the seller thought he'd go by using my above approach.

Lastly, for the love of God, don't trade in your car; sell it privately. Trading in is just giving money away. What kind of car are you getting rid of, anyway?

cral12
01-02-2014, 08:12 AM
Selling/trading in:
- 2002 Jeep Liberty Sport
- good condition; regularly maintained; no accidents
- 135,000 km (not a mistype!)

Prefer not to have hassle of selling privately, but maybe should reconsider then.

Sliver
01-02-2014, 08:44 AM
Selling/trading in:

Prefer not to have hassle of selling privately, but maybe should reconsider then.

Yeah it is a hassle, but it won't hurt to throw it up on kijiji right now and see if you get any bites. Great time of year to sell a 4x4 in Calgary.

Boblobla
01-02-2014, 08:47 AM
I sold my truck pretty painlessly on Kijiji for $6000 more than the dealer was willing to give me.

mykalberta
01-02-2014, 09:15 AM
What did you take as payment for the vehicle - bank draft, cash?

Did you allow the buyers to take it for a test drive by themselves (taking a pic of their license and credit card etc) or did you go with them? Given what happened in Ontario and a few other places recently Ive wondered what people do these days when selling used cars.

cral12
01-02-2014, 10:12 AM
Any suggestions on a fair asking price? (on my Jeep that is)

Voodooman
01-02-2014, 10:43 AM
If anyone wanted an interesting listen on the ins and outs of a car dealership, listen to this recent episode of This American Life. The reporters spent a month with a dealership in Long Island, and the result was entertaining, informative, and a little bit sad at the same time.

http://www.thisamericanlife.org/radio-archives/episode/513/129-cars (http://www.thisamericanlife.org/radio-archives/episode/513/129-cars)

The biggest takeaway...go in on the last day of the month. Most dealerships are so desperate to make quota, they'll take any deal, even at a loss. This applies more to new than used, but I still think the last day is the best chance for a deal.

From my own experience, if your dealership is stupid enough to leave their sales board visible, you may gain some valuable insight into who to talk to. A number of years ago, CMP had their board in plain sight. I picked out the salesguy with the lowest number for the month, and dealt only with him. I believe I got a better deal due to his desperation, although I freely admit that my perception could be totally false.

Table 5
01-02-2014, 11:03 AM
I sold my truck pretty painlessly on Kijiji for $6000 more than the dealer was willing to give me.

I don't understand why people trade in cars or try to sell to dealers...they always get terrible value. Even if you price it low, you'll pretty much always get more for a car in a private sale than what a dealer will give you.

It's like people trying to sell something on Pawn Stars. That dealer is in the business of making money...so he's not going to buy something unless there's a way to make money off of it on some level. Even if he turns around and gives you a supposed better deal on a new car, you've give him all your lost profits on the used one.

I guess it's a lot more convenient to sell to the dealer, but people are walking away from thousands of dollars for that convenience.

habernac
01-02-2014, 11:06 AM
I don't understand why people trade in cars or try to sell to dealers...they always get terrible value. Even if you price it low, you'll pretty much always get more for a car in a private sale than what a dealer will give you.

It's like people trying to sell something on Pawn Stars. That dealer is in the business of making money...so he's not going to buy something unless there's a way to make money off of it on some level. Even if he turns around and gives you a supposed better deal on a new car, you've give him all your lost profits on the used one.

I guess it's a lot more convenient to sell to the dealer, but people are walking away from thousands of dollars for that convenience.

I always laugh at the dummies on Pawnstars that get all bent out of shape. "But you heard the guy, it's worth $1000, why won't you give me $1000 for it?" Because they're in the business of making money, donkey.

Table 5
01-02-2014, 11:07 AM
I just listened to that TAL episode the other day...it was pretty great stuff (and as you said, a little sad too).

I've always known that going on the last day of the month is a good idea, but that episode really hammers home just how important it is to the dealer.

Regular_John
01-02-2014, 11:11 AM

Ever tried selling a vehicle (or anything really) through Kijiji? You're almost forced to mark it up 50% what you really want just to account for the low ballers.

I had a 98' grand am with two sets of tires listed for $1,500ish and I was getting calls/emails like "would you take $250 and deliver it to me in Airdrie?".

When it comes time for a new car I'll take whatever the dealer is offering on my current bucket just to avoid the hassle of fielding calls/emails from tire kickers.

Table 5
01-02-2014, 11:18 AM
I had a 98' grand am with two sets of tires listed for $1,500ish and I was getting calls/emails like "would you take $250 and deliver it to me in Airdrie?".

Well at $1500 you're not exactly dealing with the 1%. It's mostly going to be kids and people who are on a tighter budget, so I'm sure you'll get more than your fair share of low-ballers trying to eke out money.

When it comes time for a new car I'll take whatever the dealer is offering on my current bucket just to avoid the hassle of fielding calls/emails from tire kickers.

It's definitely an extra hassle. But when you're talking thousands of dollars, personally I think it's worth it to ignore a few emails and meet with a couple of lowballs (you can usually tell who these guys are right off the bat though, and filter them out as needed).

Regular_John
01-02-2014, 11:24 AM
Well at $1500 you're not exactly dealing with the 1%. It's mostly going to be kids and people who are on a tighter budget, so I'm sure you'll get more than your fair share of low-ballers trying to eke out money.

It's definitely an extra hassle. But when you're talking thousands of dollars, personally I think it's worth it to ignore a few emails and meet with a couple of lowballs (you can usually tell who these guys are right off the bat though, and filter them out as needed).

Yeah I suppose it depends on the age/condition of the vehicle you're trading/selling. I've stuck with rust buckets the last few years, so it's all under $5k, probably skews my experience.

Table 5
01-02-2014, 11:34 AM
Yeah I suppose it depends on the age/condition of the vehicle you're trading/selling. I've stuck with rust buckets the last few years, so it's all under $5k, probably skews my experience.

I sold my Protege5 last year for around 3k, so I've gone through it myself. Took about 5-6 people to come see it in person before a college kid took it home. It was about a 4 on the annoyance scale (mostly with people who act really into the car and then don't bother to get back to you after they say they will).

I'm pretty sure a dealer would've offered me $500-$1000 bucks, and sent it straight off to the wrecking yard. Atleast this way I maximized the value, and some one gets to keep enjoying the car. I hate to see good little cars go to waste (I was really not a fan of Cash for Clunkers in the US...way too many great cars were destroyed).

bizaro86
01-02-2014, 11:42 AM
Would it be legal to offer financing on selling your own used car? Obviously, that has the potential to be a PITA, but it seems like that's the biggest advantage a dealer has over someone selling privately.

Table 5
01-02-2014, 11:46 AM
Would it be legal to offer financing on selling your own used car? Obviously, that has the potential to be a PITA, but it seems like that's the biggest advantage a dealer has over someone selling privately.

There's nothing stoping someone from going to the bank and getting a loan for a used car.

When it comes down to it, the thing that a dealer offers is convenience. Convenience in transaction, convenience with speed, and convenience with payment. It all depends on what that convenience is worth to you. For me, if I can save a few grand, I'll definitely do it myself.

cral12
01-02-2014, 02:26 PM
Selling/trading in:

1 owner only

My Jeep:

http://www.vmrcanada.com/value_menus/canprices/02jelity.html
(similar to Blackbook)
Low: $4925; High: $6900

Anyone care to take a stab at a reasonable asking price for me to sell it?

Voodooman
01-02-2014, 02:36 PM
Depends on some other factors to some extent. How are the tires, brakes, windshield and other maintenance items? What's the repair history of the vehicle, any major issues?

Best guess, list for $6,500, take $6,000. I'd bet a dealership would only give you $5,000 at best, and they'll adjust the purchase of your replacement vehicle accordingly to make up any shortfall on your trade. Best to sell privately and go in with cash for the new one.

There's a 2002 Liberty with 175K for $8k at one of the places in Inglewood. $8k really means they'll take $6,500ish, and are likely into it for $5,000 to $6,000. So $6,000 for yours on private sale is reasonable.

Table 5
01-02-2014, 02:41 PM
I would start at the higher end for the first week. You'll know right away where you stand by the reaction. If you get no replies, you're too high...if you get swamped, your probably too low. But if you start too low you have no where to move, so I always start high.

Work your way down a few hundred dollars every week (or more if you have the patience to wait). Just remember to always leave a little wiggle room for negotiation....if you're bottom price is 5k, don't list it at 5k.

Locke
01-02-2014, 02:45 PM
Calm down fotze, you are not allowed to buy their home and burn it down in front of their children while cackling maniacally.

If you could swing that though that would be the ultimate negotiating tactic.

Table 5
01-02-2014, 02:48 PM
I'll give you $2000, CASH.

I always love that little sweetener by people as if it means something.

Dealers never want you to pay cash, and private-sellers will accept nothing but cash or certified check.

Sliver
01-02-2014, 04:21 PM
I always love that little sweetener by people as if it means something.

Dealers never want you to pay cash, and private-sellers will accept nothing but cash or certified check.

Meh, I like 'cash' guys. I think it's more of a 'I have the money, don't have to screw around with financing, and don't need to sell anything of my own before buying this.' Basically they're saying if we can agree on price we can make this happen in the next five minutes.

Table 5
01-02-2014, 05:22 PM
Meh, I like 'cash' guys. I think it's more of a 'I have the money, don't have to screw around with financing, and don't need to sell anything of my own before buying this.' Basically they're saying if we can agree on price we can make this happen in the next five minutes.

Sure you want the transaction to be as quick as possible, but I'm still not going to sell something for 2k if its value is 5k just because the guy can give me money right now as opposed to slightly later from now. It takes what, an hour max, to go to the bank and get your cash/check...it's not like it's some month long mortage-approval process.

And its not like guys who do the low-ball cash email are billionaires in top hats. It's usually some shady dude looking for a sucker.

Sliver
01-02-2014, 07:22 PM
Speaking of low ballers on kijiji...always put in your ads something along the lines of 'low ballers will be ignored.' Then you can just delete their emails and not worry about them. Takes a lot of the stress out.

cral12
01-03-2014, 08:51 AM
Thanks all - Kijijii is the best bet then, I'm guessing?

Table 5
01-03-2014, 08:53 AM
Thanks all - Kijijii is the best bet then, I'm guessing?

I would also put it up on Autotrader.ca. It's free, and pretty popular as well (and the audience is perhaps a bit of a step up from Kijiji). Although it takes a little longer to get your ad up...it took me about 2 days for it to be approved for some reason.

cral12
01-03-2014, 11:47 AM
Good ole Kijiji; 1st response to my add - I just to share - no offense if it's one of you (appreciate the creativity):

"I was curious to know if you would be interested in making a trade/deal for my freshly restored 1978 chevy reg cab short box?"

Table 5
01-03-2014, 12:22 PM
Haha, yeah put "no trades" right after the qualifier about low-ballers.

Sylvanfan
01-03-2014, 07:06 PM
Kijiji is funny. I had some guy phone me the first day and offer me 10 grand for my Rav4 which was listed at 13500. He phoned the house like 8 more times in the next three weeks but call display let me avoid those calls. Some other guy wanted me to meet him in a parking lot at 11:00 at night 50km from my house...after about a week most of the cooks were weeded out. But Kijiji people for the most part are pretty unreliable.

pylon
01-03-2014, 08:39 PM
Can I give you guys a few tips in here.

You are over thinking it. There is no Jedi mind tricks when it comes to negotiating.

Step 1- Carproof the car and make sure it is clean. If it is a dealer, they will likely have one handy. Anything under 3k in damage is acceptable IMO.

Step 2- Determine what you are willing to pay including all taxes and fees. Look around online and see what the average market value is to determine it.

Step 3- Make that offer and stick to it. You will find out how good your offer is when you are 10 feet from the exit door of the dealership.

Black book is useless to buyers, as it is a tool for dealers to determine wholesale cost. However dealers are moving away from black book, and are using programs that monitor dealer websites, and online classifieds to determine real market value, and the wholesale costs are backed up from that. On our lot, we spend and average of $2500/car reconditioning and adding Certified warranty. So even if we buy it at book, negotiating from it is useless unless you know what the dealer spent on top of that.

Some people have this incredible adversity to car dealers, or any other business for that matter making money. Car dealers do not have a Salvation Army or United Way sign out front. We are not living in Soviet Calgary where every 10 years you get a state issued Lada Niva at a fair price to appease the Mother Land. They are still businesses entitled to profit. They are incredibly expensive to run with very small margins. So you know, the average margin, industry wide in Canada is roughly 5% on a new or used vehicle sale. In other words, the government is making more than the car dealer in most provinces. Your rage should be directed at them.

Even if the dealer paid $5 for a car you bought for $10,000 and it was still $3000 below market value, what does it matter? You still got a great deal. Also, buying from a dealer in Alberta at least, is probably the safest transaction you can make now. With AMVIC watching over the whole industry, there is zero reason for a dealer to rip you off, as the price to do it costs jobs, and tens of thousands of dollars to the dealership, and the sales person. We run under the ideal that if there is any doubt about a used car, it goes off to auction, and some scabby credit rebuilding place can deal with it.

Lastly, and this is on the last bolded point I made. If you want the best used cars, GO TO THE BIG FRANCHISED DEALERSHIPS. They cherry pick all the good stuff, and all the crap gets sent to auction or is wholesaled to the corner pot lots that "Guarantee credit Approval". Yeah you will pay a little bit more at the big dealer, but 9 times out of 10, you are getting a better used car. The subprime lots act like they are some sort of magicians, they take out cheesy ads in the Sun wearing dorky outfits with cheesy tag lines. Any decent finance manager in a big Brand Name dealership has access to all the same subprime lenders they do. But the pot lots prey on people with crap credit because they know they won't be as picky with a sketchy car, as long as they are approved. In fact in many cases, Prime lots have better resources. I have got some people approved that have been turned away from them.

ricosuave
01-03-2014, 09:35 PM
Kijiji is funny. I had some guy phone me the first day and offer me 10 grand for my Rav4 which was listed at 13500. He phoned the house like 8 more times in the next three weeks but call display let me avoid those calls. Some other guy wanted me to meet him in a parking lot at 11:00 at night 50km from my house...after about a week most of the cooks were weeded out. But Kijiji people for the most part are pretty unreliable.

what about the rest of the kitchen staff? :whistle:

cral12
01-04-2014, 11:35 AM
How do you suggest to handle test drives for prospective buyers in a private sell (from the seller perspective)?

cral12
01-04-2014, 11:40 AM
Thanks for the perspective, pylon.

Thing is, Average Asking Price gives you an idea if vehicle being priced reasonable, but still doesn't tell me what the respective vehicles actually sold for - i.e. what amount below avg asking price. I'm just curious as the perception of what is reasonable. Obviously there's a lot more behind the scenes that determines this, but helpful to know what the determing factors are.

Sylvanfan
01-04-2014, 11:46 AM
Depends on who is wanting to drive it. If they bring a vehicle keep their keys in trade and ask to see their license. You can also insist on going along. Get a cell phone number that you can verify too.
Suggest a route and approximate time frame beforehand.

With the jeep, you might want to set an off road policy for where testers could try that out.

When I sold my vehicle on Kijiji the people who actually showed up to drive it were decent and reasonable. The nut jobs were phone in only...or I guess a family entertaining themselves during a slow night at the family restaurant.

cral12
01-04-2014, 12:04 PM
Yikes,

This doesn't sound fishy at all:

"Thank you for all the details, I love it! :) Have you had any other parties interested? I was hoping I could reserve it or something until I am back in town. Can I put down a deposit? I can upfront you a payment immediately if this is cool with you.. Do you have paypal? If not you should set one up at http://www.paypal.com/. Send me an invoice with your paypal for full price of the car] and I will pay it so you know that i'm serious. Okay? :)"

Won't be doing this, obviously!

cral12
01-04-2014, 12:22 PM
Depends on who is wanting to drive it. If they bring a vehicle keep their keys in trade and ask to see their license. You can also insist on going along. Get a cell phone number that you can verify too.
Suggest a route and approximate time frame beforehand.

With the jeep, you might want to set an off road policy for where testers could try that out.

When I sold my vehicle on Kijiji the people who actually showed up to drive it were decent and reasonable. The nut jobs were phone in only...or I guess a family entertaining themselves during a slow night at the family restaurant.

Great tips - who would be responsible though in the unlikely event if they were to have an accident.

Table 5
01-04-2014, 12:42 PM
Good post Pylon.

Despite them being a bad place to SELL a car if you want to maximize your dollar, I definitely think when you're BUYING a car, a dealer is often best place to go (unless it's one of those corner lot type deals). They have usually inspected/fixed/cleaned the cars, so you have a fairly good idea of what you're getting into.

Plus they tend to be pretty fair in terms of price. I've found that most private sellers typically over value their cars (especially if it's something interesting), while dealers tend to just want something that will maximize their profit but still sell in a reasonable amount of time...so they tend to be fairly decent price wise, or be willing to negotiate into a fair area. You might not get a steal, but it should be a decent price.

The only better place to buy from is the obsessive owner who has every single maintenance record (although this guy tends to price their cars a bit higher too). The one thing I think a lot of dealers lack is maintenance history/records, as that stuff doesn't always change hands if the car bounces around a bit. It might not be a big deal with a lot of newer cars as sometimes you can track those records down, but it makes a huge difference with older/speciality cars. With these types of cars, I am ok with paying more, because ownership/maintenance history is everything.

cral12
01-04-2014, 12:46 PM
Any typical "fees" that a dealer adds on that one shouldn't typically fee - I've read discussions on the "administration fee"...

GreatWhiteEbola
01-04-2014, 02:54 PM
Draw them in with prospect of gain, take them by confusion.
QbHwbgIELCc

wooohooo
01-04-2014, 11:25 PM
For those of you that buy used cars... do you typically get an inspection done? And a Compression test/Leak down? Or if the car is running fine do you just get an inspection?

GreenLantern2814
01-05-2014, 04:38 PM
Yikes,

This doesn't sound fishy at all:

"Thank you for all the details, I love it! :) Have you had any other parties interested? I was hoping I could reserve it or something until I am back in town. Can I put down a deposit? I can upfront you a payment immediately if this is cool with you.. Do you have paypal? If not you should set one up at http://www.paypal.com/. Send me an invoice with your paypal for full price of the car] and I will pay it so you know that i'm serious. Okay? :)"

Won't be doing this, obviously!

Well is there a reason he shouldn't be that happy with what you've told him? Because he's offering to give you a deposit.

19Yzerman19
01-05-2014, 05:29 PM
I sold an '01 RSX with 300,000km and the requisite nicks and bumps on Autotrader by posting it for $4000, sold it a day later for $3500. Would've taken less. Easy sale. I suggest that route. If I was looking for a used car I'd look on Autotrader first so I don't know why I'd expect anyone else to want to use Kijiji.

Burninator
01-05-2014, 07:28 PM
Well is there a reason he shouldn't be that happy with what you've told him? Because he's offering to give you a deposit.I'm not sure if you are being serious or not, but people that send those on kijiji/autotrader are scammers.

cral12
01-06-2014, 08:25 AM
I'm not sure if you are being serious or not, but people that send those on kijiji/autotrader are scammers.

Exactly - I've read about these ploys beforehand.

GreatWhiteEbola
01-06-2014, 03:09 PM
I Sold A Car On Craigslist And Got Into A Hilarious Legal Fight (http://oppositelock.jalopnik.com/how-an-explorer-and-craigslist-sent-me-to-superior-cour-1495274695/1495732680/@pgeorge?utm_campaign=socialflow_jalopnik_facebook&utm_source=jalopnik_facebook&utm_medium=socialflow)

pylon
01-08-2014, 01:08 AM
Despite them being a bad place to SELL a car if you want to maximize your dollar, I definitely think when you're BUYING a car, a dealer is often best place to go (unless it's one of those corner lot type deals). They have usually inspected/fixed/cleaned the cars, so you have a fairly good idea of what you're getting into.

Plus they tend to be pretty fair in terms of price. I've found that most private sellers typically over value their cars (especially if it's something interesting), while dealers tend to just want something that will maximize their profit but still sell in a reasonable amount of time...so they tend to be fairly decent price wise, or be willing to negotiate into a fair area. You might not get a steal, but it should be a decent price.

Bingo. There is a saying in the car business. "We aren't selling Rembrandt's." In 99/100 cases, the dealer doesn't care if it is some special souped up edition, it is just another piece of inventory to turn a profit on. Your kick ass subwoofer, faux carbon fibre hood, shopping cart spoiler and totally radical fart cannon means nothing to us. Sorry you paid some guy who loops Fast5 24/7 thousands of dollars to vomit tackiness all over your 2007 Civic. In fact that type of stuff tends to push the value of the car in the opposite direction....substantially. Most people want factory original, and to be honest, your mods are very gay sir.

The odd time when we get a super rare in demand car, like a car with a sub 500 production count like a Golf R, or something, yeah, we will hold our ground and price it for what the market will bear. But your mint, 1994, AWD, Eddie Bauer Aerostar with 120k and, factory Mountain inspired pin-striping kit, Tasmanian devil seat covers and dream catcher in the windshield is only worth as much as the gas in the tank.

Table 5
01-08-2014, 09:23 AM
The odd time when we get a super rare in demand car, like a car with a sub 500 production count like a Golf R, or something, yeah, we will hold our ground and price it for what the market will bear. But your mint, 1994, AWD, Eddie Bauer Aerostar with 120k and, factory Mountain inspired pin-striping kit, Tasmanian devil seat covers and dream catcher in the windshield is only worth as much as the gas in the tank.

So...is this still available?

Regular_John
03-25-2014, 10:25 AM
BUMP.

So anyone ever attempted to trade in a real beater... like 270,000km, front bumper falling off, good for scrap/salvage only beater? Can I hope for any value on the trade beyond "we'll dispose of it for free" at the dealer?

When I say any value I mean any, a couple years oil changes included with a purchase would be value to me at this point.

speede5
03-25-2014, 10:30 AM
If you can drive it to your nearest recycler he might give you scrap value, 80-150$ depending on the price of steel.

It's just a burden to a dealer so unless they are having a push, pull, drag sale you're just inconviniencing them.

Put it in Kijiji for $300 and some kid will buy it.

Regular_John
03-25-2014, 10:48 AM
If you can drive it to your nearest recycler he might give you scrap value, 80-150$ depending on the price of steel.

It's just a burden to a dealer so unless they are having a push, pull, drag sale you're just inconviniencing them.

Put it in Kijiji for $300 and some kid will buy it.

Yeah scrap yard might be the route to go, I'm not wasting my time with the "I'll give you $100 if you deliver it to Airdrie and buy me lunch" crowd on Kijiji.

Slava
03-25-2014, 10:57 AM
Put it in the auction. Someone will buy it and you make a few bucks.

mykalberta
03-26-2014, 10:08 AM
Donate to Kidney car foundation and I think they give you a minimum $50 tax receipt

http://kidney.ca/page.aspx?pid=914

Regular_John
03-29-2014, 07:07 PM
Alright CP, we drove a nice little 2012 Mazda2 that fits our budget/specs and it's a fun little car. It's currently our front runner for purchase.

In CP's mighty opinion what are the things worth paying for VS avoiding at this point?
- Car has 1 year of manufacturers warranty left... worth extending? Or are all warranty extensions the ripoff I believe them to be.
- Should I put much weight on a "certified pre-owned" VS a non-certified? There's both a certified and non-certified cars with similar milage/trim. Difference in price of about $1,200

And no, I'm not part of CP's mighty 1%er's club, we're working with a web designer's salary here, so if you're recommending a different car, please remember I can not afford the bald eagle inlays, beautiful as they may be.

undercoverbrother
03-29-2014, 07:09 PM
Alright CP, we drove a nice little 2012 Mazda2 that fits our budget/specs and it's a fun little car. It's currently our front runner for purchase.

In CP's mighty opinion what are the things worth paying for VS avoiding at this point?
- Car has 1 year of manufacturers warranty left... worth extending? Or are all warranty extensions the ripoff I believe them to be.
- Should I put much weight on a "certified pre-owned" VS a non-certified? There's both a certified and non-certified cars with similar milage/trim. Difference in price of about $1,200

And no, I'm not part of CP's mighty 1%er's club, we're working with a web designer's salary here, so if you're recommending a different car, please remember I can not afford the bald eagle inlays, beautiful as they may be.

Doesn't certified just mean it haas been looked at by a mechanic? Can you just get the non-certified one inspected by a mechanic ?

Regular_John
03-29-2014, 07:18 PM
I'd visit pylon if nothing else.

We actually were at Northland late last week, just didn't find ourselves very excited with the performance/handling of the VW's in our budget. Nice cars sure, but being at the high end of our budget we weren't blown away by em.

Mr.Coffee
03-30-2014, 11:48 AM
pylon, there aren't any upgrades that a dealership would want or would be useful in resale?

I drive a truck that will be going back after the lease is up... I had the bed filled with line-x coating. I checked my lease terms before I did it, and it didn't appear like that would be an issue. But I'm sorta curious what the dealership will think about that one and if it could be a problem with them because the lease wasn't super specific on the issue in my mind. I am thinking on a truck they would like that (or, most people would), no?

Sample00
12-03-2014, 06:16 PM
rather than start a new thread, I thought I would just add to this one.

My wife and I are in the market for a new (used) SUV.

We are looking for a midsize SUV and are open to suggestions.

I like the Nissan Pathfinder or Murano. The Highlander is a nice unit as well.

We would like one fully loaded with leather. Must have AWD or 4WD.

Please feel free to provide any feedback.

Calgary14
12-03-2014, 06:18 PM
I am by no means an expert on the topic, but here is a quick writeup on how I saved thousands on my used vehicle

http://www.ourbigfatwallet.com/how-i-saved-thousands-on-a-vehicle-purchase/

MoneyGuy
12-03-2014, 06:41 PM
Bring in a hired gun to negotiate for you. Someone who doesn't care one iota about getting the vehicle and will create a scene. Decide beforehand what your max number is and offer him/her 50% of the difference. Example...you decide you will be willingto pay 37 taxes in....the negotiator gets it for 36....they get 500 for their work.

I'd send in my son-in-law. He loves to haggle and he's good at it. I hate it and am lousy at it. He's my hired gun.

CRXguy
12-03-2014, 07:32 PM
rather than start a new thread, I thought I would just add to this one.

My wife and I are in the market for a new (used) SUV.

We are looking for a midsize SUV and are open to suggestions.

I like the Nissan Pathfinder or Murano. The Highlander is a nice unit as well.

We would like one fully loaded with leather. Must have AWD or 4WD.

Please feel free to provide any feedback.

We had a 2009 Pathfinder SE a couple years ago. It was awesome in this weather. I like the fact that's it's a true 4x4. Lots of room for 5 or 7 if you have the 3rd row up. The 4.0 V6 had good power for a SUV its size. Had no problems when we drove it to Vancouver from Calgary. Only negative thing i have to say about it is gas mileage in the winter. Averaged about 450km for 70L.

Sliver
12-03-2014, 08:18 PM
We had an '09 Pathfinder for about a year (just sold it in June). Oh man did we hate that thing. Fuel economy is absolutely pitiful with no pay off in performance. It drives like a bag of dicks. The dash is a hodge podge of cheap mismatched plastics. Upholstery feels cheap.

If you plan on 4x4ing, it may be for you. If you aren't going to be offroading, then run - don't walk - from this vehicle.

They do look very nice, though.

gladaki
12-04-2014, 08:22 AM
Ever tried selling a vehicle (or anything really) through Kijiji? You're almost forced to mark it up 50% what you really want just to account for the low ballers.

Not sure about tires. But, on kijiji you can get canadian black book price if vehicle is maintained properly.