PDA

View Full Version : Invisible Bike Helmet

GreenLantern
11-09-2013, 02:17 PM
Crazy Swedes...

The airbag is designed like a hood and made in an ultra-strong nylon fabric that won’t rip when scraped against the ground. Hövding protects nearly all of the head, while leaving the field of vision open.

d7Oud3iGXWY

http://www.hovding.com/en/how_it_works/

Travis Munroe
11-09-2013, 02:20 PM
wow....saw this the other day in a headline and just ignored it thinking it was a joke.
Impressive

GreenLantern
11-09-2013, 02:39 PM
I had to do a lot of googling to figure out if it was a prank or not.. then I rewatched the video and it seems legit.

Curious if any cyclists on this thread could see themselves wearing/trusting this helmet.

flamesfever
11-09-2013, 02:40 PM
Looks like a real breakthrough for bicycle riders...especially for those with extensive use e.g. back and forth to work, delivering various items, racing, etc.

flylock shox
11-09-2013, 03:52 PM
Interesting idea, and apparently great execution. Probably better suited to your average female rider than guys though: it basically replaces the headgear with a bulky scarf - which for me wouldn't be a huge upgrade on the headgear, but I could see how someone who liked scarves and didn't like helmet hair would find it advantageous.

Probably not much use in the rain either, though I'm sure they could easily engineer a fix for that.

The Ditch
11-09-2013, 03:58 PM
Because wearing a helmet is such a hard thing to do and so inconveniencing.

Northendzone
11-09-2013, 05:39 PM
I had a hard crash in cot at cop....came down on my head and split my helmet. Was lucky and only broke my arm, and did some damage to my clavicle, and I could not see myself buying this thing.

What happens if you are in the middle of an epic ride, and this thing runs out of power?
What if it does not work?

The neck piece seems more obtrusive than the helmet........I wonder what the cost of this thing is?

Regular_John
11-09-2013, 05:53 PM
Seems like they're really just over-engineering a relatively simple thing and introducing more potential failure points along the way. But if it solves the problem of "how do we get people to protect their heads when they won't wear a traditional helmet?" then it's probably a good thing.

Regulator75
11-09-2013, 06:37 PM
It's making the rounds again?

That video is from 2010.

Shaggin Wagon
11-09-2013, 06:41 PM
Because wearing a helmet is such a hard thing to do and so inconveniencing.

You'd be surprised. You see a lot of people in Calgary with helmets because of the by laws. Where helmets are not mandated due to by laws you get a lot of people risking it. I think people max out there budget buying a bike then forget they need $40 for a helmet. This seems way more expensive than a helmet so not for average person.

Great for people that have cash and like the wind blown hair look.

Shaggin Wagon
11-09-2013, 06:43 PM
I noticed a high corolation between people not wearing helmets and not following the rules of the road. I bet only 50% of people that get this would run a stop sign.

Canada 02
11-09-2013, 11:02 PM
€399

I'll stick with my $30 helmet