PDA

View Full Version : Home Surveillance Cameras

smoothpops
11-09-2013, 01:56 PM
I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations about home surveillance camera systems. I'd like to set one up on my uncle's acreage, he has to entrances and a carport. the internet out there is pretty sketchy, but i'd love to see if there is a way that he could monitor his house, while he is away. have any of you set one up before?

Guest1
11-10-2013, 09:44 AM
FlamesGimp has had luck with his cameras... ask him?

rbochan
11-11-2013, 07:30 AM
Any big box store should have a set of 4 cameras for in the $120 (US) range. They usually include a DVR with about a day's worth of recording time, and most cameras even have low light coverage.
If there is an internet connection available, they can usually be set up for remote monitoring, even via smartphone.

I've set up a bunch of them. It's not at all difficult.

Vulcan
11-11-2013, 11:26 AM
Aren't most of these cheap camera set ups come with poor resolution. Looking at some of the results when stores are robbed, it's pretty hard to say what the person looks like. If I was going to buy a system, I'd want it to be in a high resolution.

GoinAllTheWay
11-11-2013, 11:32 AM
A sketchy internet connection isn't going to lend itself well to what you are trying to do. Also, most of the big box store camera systems aren't designed to work out in the elements. We bought a system from costco for around $800 and the instructions say they are only rated to -10.

If your plan is to mount them inside to look out a window, you may run into another snag there. When the IR LED's come on, they create a big whiteout on the glass in front of the camera meaning all you get is a bright picture of a dozen or so LED's, no picture of the outside.

Sorry I only have cons for you...we wanted to do the same thing and this is the issue we ran into. However, the internal cameras look great.

killer_carlson
11-11-2013, 12:25 PM
I just had ADT come and speak to me at my house. I wanted to go with the wireless system they offer. They won't even install it in this market anymore.

The salesman said they have over a 40% failure rate with the wireless devices over a winter. I guess the Canadian prairie cold mucks up the machines pretty bad. You could install a commercial grade machine which has a mini-heater in it, but I think it would run 24/7.

MoneyGuy
11-11-2013, 02:44 PM
I don't remember the name but there is an app that turns an old iPod/iPhone into a surveillance camera. I think the app is free and you can buy a rotating stand that lets the device scan the surroundings.

smoothpops
11-12-2013, 02:23 PM
Any big box store should have a set of 4 cameras for in the $120 (US) range. They usually include a DVR with about a day's worth of recording time, and most cameras even have low light coverage.
If there is an internet connection available, they can usually be set up for remote monitoring, even via smartphone.

I've set up a bunch of them. It's not at all difficult.

any brands in particular that you recommend? any specific features i should be looking for?

thanks

Huntingwhale
11-12-2013, 04:30 PM
http://media.commercialappeal.com/media/img/photos/2008/06/08/9spy1_t607.jpeg

csnarpy
11-12-2013, 06:59 PM
If you want outdoor then your most likely gna have to do it hardwire. I haven't seen a wifi/ip camera set up that works in -20 weather.

As an ADT tech, I wouldn't recommend those heaters either...