PDA

View Full Version : Tell me about... Electric Shavers

Coach
11-07-2013, 10:21 AM
Hello CP Braintrust,

I have been thinking lately with the crazy cost of decent razors ($30-$40 for 4 or 5 heads is completely insane), that it might be worth it to drop some money on a good electric razor. Does anyone use one they would recommend? How closely does it shave and how long of hair is too long to use it (ie, would I have to be buzzing my face first before using the shaver?). I generally like the hand held razors, but the good ones are too expensive, the disposable ones are uncomfortable, and while I like the idea of the safety razor, I rarely leave myself enough time to shave witha normal razor, much less use a safety with any regularity.

What are the best options?

bc-chris
11-07-2013, 10:25 AM
i used an electric razor - once.... never again!

my face and throat broke out in a nasty nasty rash.

that was my one and only experience with them

:(

Buff
11-07-2013, 10:31 AM
I only learned on an electric shaver so I have never tried anything else. I have been using a water proof cordless rechargable shaver. You can use it in the shower, but I don't since I don't want to accidentally shave off my goatee.

I can't say that I have any problems with an electric shaver. I like the models with the foil screen. Currently I'm using a Braun series 3. It has the attachment so you can cut the longer hair before you get the close shave. It doesn't take long if you go unshaven for a week or two. I think all shavers have that option.

MRCboicgy
11-07-2013, 10:35 AM
Hello CP Braintrust,

I have been thinking lately with the crazy cost of decent razors ($30-$40 for 4 or 5 heads is completely insane), that it might be worth it to drop some money on a good electric razor. Does anyone use one they would recommend? How closely does it shave and how long of hair is too long to use it (ie, would I have to be buzzing my face first before using the shaver?). I generally like the hand held razors, but the good ones are too expensive, the disposable ones are uncomfortable, and while I like the idea of the safety razor, I rarely leave myself enough time to shave witha normal razor, much less use a safety with any regularity.

What are the best options?

This might be a bit rambly because I don't have a ton of time to write this out. Apologies in advance to the grammar/punctuation nazis.

Buy your replacement heads at Target in the US (if you go down to the States), as, even the expensive Philips ones are $15 less than at Walmart here.
Use your credit card and they will give you a coupon for $5 off the heads.
Go back the next day and do the same thing. Then, the next time you are in the US after that, hop into Target, use your same credit card for any decent purchase, and they will magically give you a coupon for $5 off the heads. Go back and buy the heads. Rinse, repeat.
I don't go down all that often, so I have stocked two boxes of heads for my older, but high-end Philishave (http://www.usa.philips.com/c/mens-shaving/28704/cat/) with the Ultra-track heads, and they cost me about $27 each with the coupon. I love the razor, it's about 5 years old now, and I replace the heads every ten months. I don't find they last the full year, but that's on my face, and your experience may differ. The razor is rock solid quality, and worth the US$190 I paid for it back in the day. Took me about 2 weeks of using it to get over the burn of an electric though, I guess my skin had to Butch up or something.

Edit: I also get coupons for M&Ms via this process :bag:

Hockeyguy15
11-07-2013, 10:40 AM
Agreed about it taking time to get used to, I bought a Panasonic and they said it takes about a month.

I like it better than razors as I have sensitive skin and I find I have less issues with the electric razor. I would suggest that you spend good money on the electric and make sure that you can use it in the shower. Some 'water proof' shavers aren't supposed to be used in the shower, so make sure you pay attention.

Northendzone
11-07-2013, 10:48 AM
persoanlly i'd like to get an electric shaver, but I would ahve to drop $150 on something that does nto work well for me........

now, lets all stand down an wait for peter12 to roll in and tell us what is what in the world of electric shaving......

Mazrim
11-07-2013, 10:50 AM
I use a Remington foil shaver because no matter how long I try to get used to using a razor, my skin absolutely hates me. If you're super concerned about the closest shave possible, you'll never get it with these, but then again...99% of the time no one will notice that it's not essentially shaving your skin off either.

I'm quite happy with the shaver and it's lastest me 10 years now with twice yearly replacements of the foils and blades.

Reaper
11-07-2013, 11:09 AM
http://www.razorpit.com

I use one of these and I shave with lotion. A blade lasts me two months because I hone it with the razor pit after shaving every time.

Coach
11-07-2013, 11:12 AM
persoanlly i'd like to get an electric shaver, but I would ahve to drop $150 on something that does nto work well for me........

now, lets all stand down an wait for peter12 to roll in and tell us what is what in the world of electric shaving......

That was my thinking too, but when I think about the amount of money I spend on disposable razors/heads, I have to think you're coming out on top with the electric shaver.

undercoverbrother
11-07-2013, 11:14 AM
i used an electric razor - once.... never again!

my face and throat broke out in a nasty nasty rash.

that was my one and only experience with them

:(

we

all know whyhttp://fc01.deviantart.net/fs21/f/2007/268/2/3/your_face_sucks_by_GreenCookieFish.jpg

Canehdianman
11-07-2013, 12:28 PM
Don't go to an electric razor.

Get a safety razor and a sample pack of razors and be a man.

http://www.fendrihan.com/

A good starter razor is a DE89 from Edwin Jagger.

rotten42
11-07-2013, 12:32 PM
Agreed about it taking time to get used to, I bought a Panasonic and they said it takes about a month.

I like it better than razors as I have sensitive skin and I find I have less issues with the electric razor. I would suggest that you spend good money on the electric and make sure that you can use it in the shower. Some 'water proof' shavers aren't supposed to be used in the shower, so make sure you pay attention.

Same here. I breakout on my neck with razors but not with an electric. I use a Bruan series 5 with the cleaning tub.

Coach
11-07-2013, 12:43 PM
Don't go to an electric razor.

Get a safety razor and a sample pack of razors and be a man.

http://www.fendrihan.com/

A good starter razor is a DE89 from Edwin Jagger.

As I said in the OP, I rarely leave myself enough time to use a regular razor to shave. There is no way a saftey razor will help me unless I only shave on the weekends.

Dion
11-07-2013, 12:57 PM
I use a basic rechargeble Philishave.

TorqueDog
11-07-2013, 01:57 PM
As I said in the OP, I rarely leave myself enough time to use a regular razor to shave. There is no way a saftey razor will help me unless I only shave on the weekends.This is how I do it. I look dashing with some stubble.

Or as I call it after a week of not shaving, a beard.

Bean
11-07-2013, 02:03 PM
I use a Braun series 7 and although it is about 5 years old it's still running great. Not keen on buying the replacement heads or wash solution however then can be had on the cheap in the us or online vendors.

I'll echo a previous poster about the 'old school' way of shaving. It's a short learning curve but far more enjoyable if you have the time to do it right. The Fendrihan site is awesome for Canadians.

Or if you want to check out a brick and mortar, Knifewear in Inglewood has a great selection and awesome staff to help.

Coach
11-07-2013, 02:17 PM
This is how I do it. I look dashing with some stubble.

Or as I call it after a week of not shaving, a beard.

I'm kind of the same actually, but I think it is a product of my laziness more than anything. It's just a bonus that girls tend to like the stubble.

MoneyGuy
11-07-2013, 02:43 PM
I use a basic rechargeble Philishave.

Same here. I love the rechargeable shavers. I can carry it around, or travel with it and leave my cord at home if I want. Who cares about grammar Nazis? The safety-razor Nazis get me. You use what you want and let me use my electric razor with impunity. I've used both.

EverfresH15
11-07-2013, 05:10 PM
I use some crappy beard trimmer that i buy from walmart for $12.99 and it works great. Looks close enough to a clean shave and works even better when the hair gets a bit longer. Feels rough during use but i get no rash.

http://www.fatwallet.com/Walmart-coupons/wahl-5537-420-battery-operated-beard-mustache-trimmer/

ken0042
11-07-2013, 05:36 PM
Put me in the non-rechargeable camp. Regular corded all the way. The number of times it would be handy to have a cordless version are few and far between. I'll just buy some disposable blades if I'm travelling. It has been a while since I had a rechargable one, but when I did the battery would always die half way through a shave anyway.

pylon
11-07-2013, 05:39 PM
This was and still is the best razor ever invented, and the refills can be found for next to nothing on ebay and Amazon from time to time. Free from gimmicks, easy to clean, and a blade lasts a month with proper care.

http://i.walmartimages.com/i/p/00/04/74/00/11/0004740011505_500X500.jpg