PDA

View Full Version : Upper Deck 2013-14 Series 1 Hockey Cards

codynw
11-06-2013, 07:02 PM
Anyone else collect these and pick some up today? What cards did you get?

I'm currently opening my packs, I'll post results in a bit.

1stLand
11-06-2013, 08:20 PM
Lol

TurdFerguson
11-06-2013, 09:06 PM
Holly hell, take 20 years off those dates and I'm right there with you, lingo and all.

Apparently, I'm getting old.

macker
11-07-2013, 09:56 AM
^
Same here but for me it is more of a case of losing interest in the hobby partly because the Flames haven't had any good rookies for so long. What are the notable rookies in this set? What does a Monahan RC go for these days? What is the best set to possibly dip back in with the primary interest of Flames players/prospects and rookie cards? Loved the simplicity of O Pee Chee in Canada and Topps in the US growing up and the games you could play with these cards in the school yards. Yep.....old age I guess:bag:

habernac
11-07-2013, 10:00 AM
double rookie class this year, so there's more than a few good cards in there.

Hack&Lube
11-07-2013, 10:02 AM
Don't know what's going on but a couple of months ago at Crossiron Mills Toys R Us there were boxes of sealed 1990/1991 Upper Deck hockey cards for sale. Are these the original thing?

habernac
11-07-2013, 10:06 AM
Don't know what's going on but a couple of months ago at Crossiron Mills Toys R Us there were boxes of sealed 1990/1991 Upper Deck hockey cards for sale. Are these the original thing?

yeah, they made millions of boxes of that crap

troutman
11-07-2013, 10:10 AM
I got my 10 year old into collecting cards two seasons ago. I was disappointed to see they don't print cards for all the players - maybe only 10-15 per team.

1stLand
11-07-2013, 10:16 AM
I was a serious hockey card collector when I was a kid.

My favorite place in the world was the Hockey Card shop in West Brook Mall.

I stopped collecting cards in 96'

That being said, if Monohan's Rookie Card is in this years Upper Deck set, I will buy boxes until I get one.

Dion
11-07-2013, 10:28 AM
Some of my collection

http://i40.tinypic.com/308b592.jpg

Puppet Guy
11-07-2013, 10:30 AM
I miss the hard plastic-esque gum you got with hockey cards.

Coys1882
11-07-2013, 11:12 AM
Saw a NHL Panini sticker book the other day at Macs - I loved those things. I might buy one for myself today now I think about it more.

squiggs96
11-07-2013, 11:14 AM
I was a serious hockey card collector when I was a kid.

My favorite place in the world was the Hockey Card shop in West Brook Mall.

I stopped collecting cards in 96'

That being said, if Monohan's Rookie Card is in this years Upper Deck set, I will buy boxes until I get one.

Why wouldn't you just buy one on ebay?

http://www.ebay.ca/sch/i.html?_trksid=p2050601.m570.l1313.TR3.TRC0.A0.Xmo nahan+rookie+car&_nkw=monahan+rookie+card&_sacat=0&_from=R40

There aren't a lot of Monohon cards, but there are plenty of Monahan ones.

blankall
11-07-2013, 12:21 PM
Anyone else collect these and pick some up today? What cards did you get?

I'm currently opening my packs, I'll post results in a bit.

I bought 4 hobby boxes on pre-order.

Each hobby box came with a pack of Upper Deck Overtime. The first Overtime pack I opened came with a limited /10 Galchenyuk rookie auto redemption. It's worth $200-400....things didn't quite keep up with that first pack.

I pulled some great Young Guns though: MacKinnon, Galchenyuk, Jones, Monahan, Huberdeau, Reilly, Shutlz, and Chiasson probably being the best.

I pulled a Monahan on my last few packs...I was started to get pretty nervous about not getting one.

Beyond that I didn't pull much of anything. Got a Messier MVP exlusive /100 and a Trottier patch /15. I guess you can't complain when you get that one huge hit though.

I'll probably try and sell everything on EBay except for the Young Guns.

blankall
11-07-2013, 12:25 PM
I got my 10 year old into collecting cards two seasons ago. I was disappointed to see they don't print cards for all the players - maybe only 10-15 per team.

Different sets work different ways. The upper deck series 1 are always limited to 200 cards total, which usually includes 196-198 player cards and the rest are checklists. Inserts are on top of that.

Some sets will number up to 400 or beyond though.

habernac
11-07-2013, 12:44 PM
Different sets work different ways. The upper deck series 1 are always limited to 200 cards total, which usually includes 196-198 player cards and the rest are checklists. Inserts are on top of that.

Some sets will number up to 400 or beyond though.

Score is a huge set, over 600 cards. Not too bad, either.

blankall
11-07-2013, 01:04 PM
Score is a huge set, over 600 cards. Not too bad, either.

Yeah, there is a huge variety of product out there now. Sets like Score and Victory are great for kids. Sets like the Cup are only for the most serious of collectors.

codynw
11-07-2013, 01:23 PM
I bought 4 hobby boxes on pre-order.

Each hobby box came with a pack of Upper Deck Overtime. The first Overtime pack I opened came with a limited /10 Galchenyuk rookie auto redemption. It's worth $200-400....things didn't quite keep up with that first pack.

I pulled some great Young Guns though: MacKinnon, Galchenyuk, Jones, Monahan, Huberdeau, Reilly, Shutlz, and Chiasson probably being the best.

I pulled a Monahan on my last few packs...I was started to get pretty nervous about not getting one.

Beyond that I didn't pull much of anything. Got a Messier MVP exlusive /100 and a Trottier patch /15. I guess you can't complain when you get that one huge hit though.

I'll probably try and sell everything on EBay except for the Young Guns.

You did much better than I did. I pulled 7 Young Guns cards (only recognized three names, Galchenyuk (x2), Trouba and Toffoli). I also pulled a Kovalchuk jersey card (lol), Jose Theodore jersey card (he still plays hockey?), Wayne Gretzky 80s heroes and a Marcus Kruger signed card. Nothing else was really noteworthy. Will probably pick up a Monahan card off eBay at some point.

blankall
11-07-2013, 01:40 PM
You did much better than I did. I pulled 7 Young Guns cards (only recognized three names, Galchenyuk (x2), Trouba and Toffoli). I also pulled a Kovalchuk jersey card (lol), Jose Theodore jersey card (he still plays hockey?), Wayne Gretzky 80s heroes and a Marcus Kruger signed card. Nothing else was really noteworthy. Will probably pick up a Monahan card off eBay at some point.

Is that from 1 box?

If so, you did pretty well. You can probably sell those two Galchenyuks alone for the price of a box. Strange that you would get two of the same in one box though. Is one of them a canvas or other insert, in which case it's possibly worth more?

That Kruger auto isn't too bad either. I've only ever pulled one auto from an UD box...Wade Redden. It's a case hit, and it's totally worthless.

You're box sounds better than any of my boxes.

Dion
11-07-2013, 01:52 PM
Unless you are collecting for sentimental value there is no money to be made by collecting the newer cards.

Dion
11-07-2013, 01:53 PM
I miss the hard plastic-esque gum you got with hockey cards.

I miss getting the cards from other people when all they wanted was the gum.

SuperMatt18
11-07-2013, 01:56 PM
Hadn't bought hockey cards for a while prior to this year but got suckered into buying the 2013/2014 O-Pee-Chee set.

They are that sweet, old school, cardboard cut and are pretty slick.

http://www.cloutsnchara.com/2013/07/2013-14-upper-deck-o-pee-chee/

codynw
11-07-2013, 02:02 PM
Is that from 1 box?

If so, you did pretty well. You can probably sell those two Galchenyuks alone for the price of a box. Strange that you would get two of the same in one box though. Is one of them a canvas or other insert, in which case it's possibly worth more?

That Kruger auto isn't too bad either. I've only ever pulled one auto from an UD box...Wade Redden. It's a case hit, and it's totally worthless.

You're box sounds better than any of my boxes.

Yea it was one box. I'm definitely happy with it, I didn't realize you bought four boxes, I guess I should read the whole post next time. And both Galchenyuk cards are exactly the same, just the standard young guns card.

flamesrule14
11-07-2013, 06:00 PM
How much is a box of Series 1 going for? Haven't really collected cards in a couple years. Before that I probably spent a couple thousand a year just busting boxes. Might have to stop by the local shop and pick up a box or two. Would love to get a Monahan Young Gun.

blankall
11-07-2013, 06:11 PM
How much is a box of Series 1 going for? Haven't really collected cards in a couple years. Before that I probably spent a couple thousand a year just busting boxes. Might have to stop by the local shop and pick up a box or two. Would love to get a Monahan Young Gun.

The price on these is actually rising. Apparently Upper Deck is now sold out of hobby boxes. I'm sure suppliers are hoarding them somewhere.

I bought mine pre-sale for $75/each incl taxes. The price seems to be creeping up towards $100, but might drop down when the hype dies a little. Each box will only give you an 1:8.3 chance of pulling a Monahan though.

You can probably get a Monahan rookie for around $15 plus shipping.

mustache ride
11-07-2013, 07:22 PM
Nm

Flames in 07
11-11-2013, 04:48 PM

I think if you are looking for just a specific card go grab it on Ebay.

I found the Monahan rookie 001/100 for a price that will work to be a bit over the price of half a box, with delivery costs.

stampsx2
11-11-2013, 05:00 PM
Saw a NHL Panini sticker book the other day at Macs - I loved those things. I might buy one for myself today now I think about it more.

Yup, worth absolutely nothing but fun to collect. Have em at target as well.

GreenLantern
11-11-2013, 05:13 PM
My Mom used to buy a box of cards at the start of every year and every week we did our chores we got a pack.

I literally cut my teeth on employment of sorts due to that hard plastic gum. Good memories.