PDA

View Full Version : Fountain Pen Day - Apparently it is a thing

Buff
11-05-2013, 04:25 PM
So, this Thursday, November 7, is Fountain Pen day. Who knew?

My co-worker and his fiance knew because she entered a contest with her art work.

This isn't an official CP Jihad request, but go here and vote for Elizabeth to help her out anyway:
http://www.fountainpenday.org/information/fpd-2013-contest/fpd-2013-contest-voting/

I just couldn't believe that there would be such a thing as Fountain Pen day. :blink:

REDVAN
11-05-2013, 10:28 PM
Fountain pen day was actually November 1st this year and it's the 7th next year.

Buff
11-05-2013, 10:32 PM
Oh.

Well, then. I'm going to bed now. For the next three days.

Wormius
11-05-2013, 10:33 PM
It makes me want to take a class to improve my handwriting.

That said, using a fountain pen is such a massive improvement over ballpoint. At least for me it elevates my handwriting from chicken-scratch to something a bit less pathetic.

Canada 02
11-05-2013, 10:43 PM
Cy0UpRIncYM

onetwo_threefour
11-06-2013, 09:35 AM
As a lefty and messy writer, fountain pens are of the devil...

I have nothing useful to say...

surferguy
11-06-2013, 09:57 AM
Cy0UpRIncYM

Came here ready to post "My Pen" from Kids in the Hall, was beaten to it. Leaving satisfied.

kirant
11-06-2013, 10:20 AM
Up 75-54.

Good luck.

Vulcan
11-06-2013, 10:54 AM
As a lefty and messy writer, fountain pens are of the devil...

I have nothing useful to say...

You should've tried writing with a straight pen. The reason why all lefties were converted to righties back in the day.

Wormius
11-06-2013, 01:03 PM
^^

I thought it was because left-handedness was considered a sign of evil.

calumniate
11-06-2013, 02:04 PM
Yes.. impolite and evil!!

REDVAN
11-06-2015, 11:15 AM
Bump- today is the day for this year.

pylon
11-06-2015, 11:39 AM
Hipsters rejoice!

Slava
11-06-2015, 12:50 PM
Hold on, not only hipsters! I use fountain pens all the time and its almost all I use. I just find them super nice in terms of how smooth they are. I have used them somewhat exclusively for years (not like I refuse to write with another pen kind of exclusive, but I have a few and always use them kind of thing). I'm not cool enough to be into vinyl, or beards, or suspenders to be a hipster though.

DoubleF
11-06-2015, 02:47 PM
Hold on, not only hipsters! I use fountain pens all the time and its almost all I use. I just find them super nice in terms of how smooth they are. I have used them somewhat exclusively for years (not like I refuse to write with another pen kind of exclusive, but I have a few and always use them kind of thing). I'm not cool enough to be into vinyl, or beards, or suspenders to be a hipster though.

I use fountain pens as well. What started off as a joke experiment converted me into a full time fountain pen user. Previous to that, I had already started using roller ball pens and realized fountain pens were smoother than roller balls. I love the look of roller ball/ink over ball point pens. It also felt more natural to write in cursive script in fountain pen than ballpoint or roller ball.

What really entrenched me was how it was it turned into a hobby I could enjoy with my dad and a few colleagues. My dad had not used fountain pens for decades and when he noticed me with one, he was excited to tell me stories and buy his own pens to "play with". I've owned probably nearly a dozen modern pens now and learned a lot and improved my handwriting as a result.

I don't like beards, vinyl or suspenders though.

undercoverbrother
11-06-2015, 02:57 PM
I have a fountain pen.

It was my granddad's.

It is from the 40's.

I don't use it.

polak
11-06-2015, 03:01 PM
Yo. Check this out.

https://www.thepencompany.com/product/jack-row-jaali-fountain-pen/8311/

$12,000!!!

https://www.thepencompany.com/image/70917055_S-550.jpg

https://www.thepencompany.com/image/70931327_F-550.jpg

DoubleF
11-06-2015, 03:11 PM
I have a fountain pen.

It was my granddad's.

It is from the 40's.

I don't use it.

Any pics and details about it by any chance? I like seeing the evolution of older pens to the ones I currently use.

@Polak: Yeah, there are plenty of fountain pens that are more artwork than useful tools. I've set my mind on acquiring a DuPont pen one day. The DuPont Spectre series fountain pens were really sweet even without the Bond affiliation.

http://www.jamesbondlifestyle.com/news/st-dupont-launches-spectre-collection

At the end of the article, it mentions a Star Wars series too. I didn't know such a thing existed. (EDIT: Apparently not fountain pen, my mistake)

polak
11-06-2015, 03:16 PM
Those are sweet. The lighters are really cool too.

They say smoking doesn't make you look cool but if you light a smoke with that lighter I'm pretty sure you're guaranteed to be the coolest person around.

Wormius
11-06-2015, 04:45 PM
I use a simple Schaeffer 100 fountain pen. Love how it writes, and not super expensive. Perfect weight too and looks quite nice to boot.

Clarkey
11-06-2015, 05:53 PM
Pen Island Dot Com!

Wormius
11-06-2015, 06:08 PM
^^ I am glad I used "pen island" as a search term, instead of going to that url :)

jayswin
11-08-2015, 07:42 PM
I have a fountain pen.

It was my granddad's.

It is from the 40's.

I don't use it.

Four sentences for that, eh?

undercoverbrother
11-09-2015, 01:27 PM
Any pics and details about it by any chance? I like seeing the evolution of older pens to the ones I currently use.

I haven't laid my hands on it since we moved. I suspect, well know, it is still packed away.

Four sentences for that, eh?

How many did you want.

Wormius
11-09-2015, 02:04 PM
How many did you want.

For a haiku, I think it went a little long actually.

jayswin
11-09-2015, 11:31 PM
How many did you want.

One, maaaaybe two, at most. "I have a fountain pen from the 40's that was passed down by my grandfather, I don't use it, though". Was the four sentences with full spaces between for effect?

undercoverbrother
11-10-2015, 04:50 AM
One, maaaaybe two, at most. "I have a fountain pen from the 40's that was passed down by my grandfather, I don't use it, though". Was the four sentences with full spaces between for effect?

No, I was just testing out my new "enter" key.

It worked fine, and continues to work fine.

I was worried it might not be working.

Although, clearly it is.

Slava
01-21-2016, 06:57 PM
I know its not fountain pen day, but figured this was where this should be posted. I'd buy one, but unfortunately we don't have a Richard Mille here: http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2016-01-21/richard-mille-made-a-105-000-mechanical-fountain-pen

DoubleF
01-22-2016, 08:46 AM
I know its not fountain pen day, but figured this was where this should be posted. I'd buy one, but unfortunately we don't have a Richard Mille here: http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2016-01-21/richard-mille-made-a-105-000-mechanical-fountain-pen

And here I was thinking that S.T. DuPont was opulent desire... Wow.

Locke
01-22-2016, 10:18 AM
While neat, I'm not sure I'd want a pen that requires a mortgage.

REDVAN
11-04-2016, 09:00 AM
Bump - today (Nov. 4) is the day this year.

gargamel
11-02-2018, 12:06 AM
Time for this thread's annual/biannual bump.

Today is fountain pen day. I remember thinking it was silly when I saw this thread a few years ago, but it got me curious enough to look at some fountain pens and buy a few. Now, they're the only pens I use. I blame REDVAN for the hit my wallet has taken.

Anyone else use fountain pens?

Northendzone
11-02-2018, 07:38 AM
This thread has got some good humour in it starting right from the open post. Nice work boys, nice work.

Locke
11-02-2018, 08:17 AM
For me every day is Fountain Pen day.

I have a Lamy at my office and have been using it for a few years now. Its fantastic.

Wormius
11-02-2018, 08:58 AM
My Sheaffer is still going strong. Good ink helps the flow and keeps from gunking up the feed.

How do your pen lovers fill the cartridges though without getting ink on your fingers though? My refillable cartridge still has me having to get my fingers into the little ink well. If I try to fill through the nib, then that just makes a mess in the cap later.

Locke
11-02-2018, 09:01 AM
My Sheaffer is still going strong. Good ink helps the flow and keeps from gunking up the feed.

How do your pen lovers fill the cartridges though without getting ink on your fingers though? My refillable cartridge still has me having to get my fingers into the little ink well. If I try to fill through the nib, then that just makes a mess in the cap later.

Mine is vacuum fed, so you unscrew the back then dip the pen in the inkwell and then screw it back in and it vacuums the ink into the chamber.

No muss, no fuss and it works really well.

gargamel
11-02-2018, 09:10 AM

A syringe can work to fill it up without getting ink stained fingers, but the downside is people may think you're a drug addict if they see the syringe in your desk.

The new Pineider pen filler looks like it should work pretty well, but I'm not sure if it's worth the $25.

Wormius
11-02-2018, 09:13 AM
Yeah, that’s like mine. I shouldn’t have said ink well though, just the ink bottle. It’s not quite full anymore so I have to tilt it a bit too.

I should look at another cartridge though. There used to be a plunger style instead of the corkscrew style for drawing ink in. That might be cleaner and can be done one-handed

CroFlames
11-02-2018, 10:23 AM
I didn't realize until recently a Croatian is the inventor (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slavoljub_Eduard_Penkala) of the fountain pen (and mechanical pencil too). Cool.

Wormius
11-02-2018, 10:40 AM
I didn't realize until recently a Croatian is the inventor (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slavoljub_Eduard_Penkala) of the fountain pen (and mechanical pencil too). Cool.

That’s what this day is all about. The unsung heroes.

I kind wish mechanical pencils were more popular (0.9mm HB ftw). Regular pencils require good sharpeners that don’t either mangle the end of the pencil or crack the freshly sharpened lead out.

MRCboicgy
11-02-2018, 11:32 AM
How did I miss this thread in previous years?

I used a Parker fountain pen throughout high school. Only kid using a fountain pen - it was a way to be different. Still have it, and the Quink to go with it.

Locke
11-02-2018, 11:33 AM
That’s what this day is all about. The unsung heroes.

I kind wish mechanical pencils were more popular (0.9mm HB ftw). Regular pencils require good sharpeners that don’t either mangle the end of the pencil or crack the freshly sharpened lead out.

Plus all of the shavings.

gargamel
11-02-2018, 08:19 PM
I have a Lamy at my office and have been using it for a few years now. Its fantastic.

A Lamy 2000? I have one and love it. It doesn't look too flashy, but writing with it feels great.

jammies
11-02-2018, 11:55 PM
I only use Tasai chisels when incising stone tablets. Some think the high-carbon steel is too brittle, but if you don't have a light touch on your hammer, you can hardly call yourself a real writer.

JohnnyB
11-03-2018, 12:14 AM
I grew up writing with fountain pens in primary school and had to learn German calligraphy with a range of broad-tipped fountain pens. I always really enjoyed it and I still most enjoy the experience of writing with a fountain pen, though I don't care if they're expensive or not. I just enjoy the smooth, flowing feeling of cursive writing with a fountain pen.

Locke
11-03-2018, 08:53 AM
A Lamy 2000? I have one and love it. It doesn't look too flashy, but writing with it feels great.

Yup. Best pen I own.

BloodFetish
11-04-2018, 06:26 PM
I thought about buying a Faber e-Motion from eBay today. Nice pen!

What blend do you guys use? I like 80% squid, 20% india. It's a bit thicker and you get that nice sepia tinge, really makes you stand apart from the crowd.

Cecil Terwilliger
11-04-2018, 06:29 PM
How did I miss this thread in previous years?

I used a Parker fountain pen throughout high school. Only kid using a fountain pen - it was a way to be different. Still have it, and the Quink to go with it.

Consider yourself lucky if having a wacky pen was the only thing that made you different in high school. Kids can be so cruel.

Wormius
11-04-2018, 07:37 PM
The best was having an HP calculator in high school. Never had to worry about people borrowing your calculator or walking off with it. Good prep for university too.