PDA

View Full Version : London

Nyah
11-01-2013, 12:21 PM
This Christmas we're going to Europe to spend time with family. After New Years, we wanted to fly up to London to spend a couple days before flying home, as our trans-Atlantic flights are in & out of Heathrow. I've been to London a few times, but just on really short trips and I've never really had the chance to do any sight-seeing.

- What are some good hotels that are close to city center London? They don't have to be super cheap, but not too expensive would be cool (may be asking a lot).

- What would you recommend to go see? We'll be there two full days and would like to see as much as possible.

- Has anyone ever flown into London City airport? We're flying out of Malaga, Spain and the cheapest flight on the day we're flying is to London City. There's another one to Gatwick, but that's pretty far outside the city if my memory serves me right. Is London City close to city center, or is the name deceiving?

And yes, I'll have my umbrella.

Puppet Guy
11-01-2013, 12:26 PM
If nothing else, a trip to the London Eye will let you physically see a lot.

Bigtime
11-01-2013, 12:27 PM
London City airport is right in the city:

http://www.theecologist.org/siteimage/scale/0/0/170316.jpg

kipperfan
11-01-2013, 12:31 PM
Can't help you on bullet points one and three as I stay in hostels and have never flown from that specific airport, but I have been to London 4 times and have seen quite a bit of the city. Tons of stuff to do, all depends on what you like, if you have kids and/or older people with you and how much travelling around you want to do in your two days. I have been to (most) all of the notable museums in the area and you could easily spend 2+ days on them alone, and those are just the ones close to central London. If you're into seeing palaces and castles there are at least 10 great ones within a reasonable drive from the city. The London Eye is always fun if you've never taken a ride, especially if you're lucky enough to get a (somewhat) clear day, as it is probably the best place in the city for pictures of the Thames/Tower of London/etc.

Provide more details on what kind of stuff you like and I can probably give you better advice, and can certainly give specific advice if you're interested in the local museums.

Muffins
11-01-2013, 12:33 PM
The Tower of London is pretty cool.
Also there's a Jack the Ripper walk that starts right by the tower as well. Didn't get to do that while I was there but sounded neat.

Nyah
11-01-2013, 12:47 PM
No kids, and we enjoy seeing historic buildings, but not museums so much, unless they're highly recommended. With museums I find myself really excited to go in and inspect everything, and half way through I'm giving everything a glance while I breeze through. I think the London Eye is on the list. We're not going to be renting a car so anything that we can get to via taxi, foot or tube would be ideal.

MRCboicgy
11-01-2013, 01:02 PM
If you fly into LCY, you might just want to try and find a hotel near the Docklands area there, where the airport is. Hotels can be considerably cheaper in that area than closer to city center, unless there is a large event going on at the Convention Centre next door. Many of those hotels are newer, which is good as they offer free WiFi and other amenities that some of the more tired old hotels won't have (and let's admit it, there is almost nothing as bad as a tired British hotel).

Now, it will suck when you fly out of Heathrow, because it's a good 90 minutes by taxi, tube, whatever from the Docklands to Heathrow, even on a Sunday morning. Having said that, you can easily get into the city via tube or DLR from that area, and there are lots of good places to eat around the nearby Canary Wharf. It's also a quick trip up to the Stratford City Mall, which has great shopping (and really good kebabs in the food court, believe it or not).

Being a tourist, even if you aren't a museum person, I do have to recommend the British Museum. It's my favourite in the world. Other than that, you can't go wrong.

puffnstuff
11-01-2013, 01:29 PM
(and let's admit it, there is almost nothing as bad as a tired British hotel).

Fawlty Towers

squiggs96
11-01-2013, 01:33 PM
Being a tourist, even if you aren't a museum person, I do have to recommend the British Museum. It's my favourite in the world. Other than that, you can't go wrong.

Co-sign on the museum. We were killing time while waiting for a play to start and wandered up that way. I wish we had gone earlier, as there was so much neat stuff in there.

We stayed at the Hilton in Hyde Park. At $700 for 5 nights ($140/night), it was a lot cheaper than I was expecting. The bike rental system was very convenient and easy to get around. If you return your bike within 30 minutes, you don't pay for the rental time. Then you can wait five minutes and get a new bike for 29 minutes. Repeat that process and you only need to pay the daily fee of 1 British pound.

If you don't do one thing, make sure you don't go to the Tate Modern. What a piece of #### that thing is? It is a giant collection of crap. One exhibit was a mirror. It was submitted by two people and the card had some story about how the purpose was to have an introspective look at art. Go #### yourself. You submitted a mirror you ###### and likely got thousands of dollars for something you already owned and didn't make. I think 90% of the #### in that place was submitted as a joke, to troll people and/or to see how far they could bull#### the management.

The plays were awesome and plentiful. Don't buy tickets from people selling them on the sidewalk. There are discount booths, and you can always just go up the the main booth at the play and ask if there are discounted tickets.

My favourite restaurant there was Jamie's Italian, which is owned by Jamie Oliver.

Addick
11-01-2013, 02:17 PM
If you fly into LCY, you might just want to try and find a hotel near the Docklands area there, where the airport is. Hotels can be considerably cheaper in that area than closer to city center, unless there is a large event going on at the Convention Centre next door. Many of those hotels are newer, which is good as they offer free WiFi and other amenities that some of the more tired old hotels won't have (and let's admit it, there is almost nothing as bad as a tired British hotel).

I'm going to veto this, avoid Docklands/Canary Wharf/Canada Water. It's a sterile and dead area, basically London's modern CBD, and you might as well enjoy an area that gives you a different experience and offers more atmosphere.

As for what to do, explore. There is so much to do in London and it has something for everyone, even just learning the city and what it has to offer is an experience. As such, the best advice I can give you is: i) a few examples of the things I like to do; and ii) getting lost in London is the best way to find yourself in London.

Some of the places I enjoy the most:

Borough Market :: A great place to grab some streetfood on a Monday, Tuesday or Wednesday. So many great smells and tastes on the weekend. Once you finish at the market, you can cross the Thames and you'll be near St. Paul's and other historic sites.
Spitalfield Market (Saturdays & Sundays Only) :: Don't worry about not being able to find a gift for friends and fam, you'll deffo find something here for them and possibly your tummy as well. Also, Brick Lane is not far away.
Soho :: While most tourists are getting in each other's way on Oxford Street, head slightly south and enjoy the maze of treats. I like to grab a pint at a Guinness bar on Carlisle Street, The Toucan, and a slice from a small pizza shop on the southwest corner of Carlisle and Dean Street. There are a few historic buildings in the nearby Soho Square and closer to Foyles bookshop.
Football Grounds :: The atmosphere inside is special but the match-day experience outside the ground is also something. If you can't catch a match, you could take a tour of one or more of the stadiums. Craven Cottage is an old ground and might pique your historical interest.

My list could go on but I'll let others share as they might have some places that better align with your tastes. Have fun mate!

DownhillGoat
11-01-2013, 03:11 PM
No kids, and we enjoy seeing historic buildings
Gordon's Wine Bar.
http://www.gordonswinebar.com/default.php

getbak
11-01-2013, 03:32 PM
The British Museum is incredible.

One of the nice things about the government museums in London is that they're all free admission, so even if you don't want to spend all day there, you don't feel like you got ripped off if you do a quick pop-in.

Mark
11-01-2013, 03:49 PM
I just returned from a week in London. I've been numerous times and have seen a pretty good chunk of the city. This last time I stayed at the Hilton Double Tree Victoria which is across the street from Victoria Station. The hotel was actually quite nice. From there it's one easy transfer and you are at Heathrow in under an hour. I find that Victoria station is pretty central for London. 5 minute walk to Buckingham, 10 to Westminster Abbey/Parliament. Belgrave Rd which is in the area also has a number of other hotels.

I thought the Eye was lame. Before the half way point I was bored and regretting spending that much money. It's nice to look at though. The view from the Monument (or even St. Paul's) is nice and I'm sure there are numerous other cheap options to get a good view.

Tower of London was a bit of a pleasant surprise for me. You could really spend most of the day there. It houses the crown jewels and if you like weapons and armor they have it in spades. I found a Parliament tour interesting (Saturday's only) and for 2 days I'd choose one of Westminster Abbey or St. Pauls.

The Museum of London was pretty cool if you want to see how the city as evolved since it was first settled. I'm not really into museums when I'm traveling since they take up so much time. I'd rather just be walking around and exploring the city.

Definitely see a show. I went to Phantom of the Opera and quite enjoyed it as it was like watching a magic show (illusions!) at the same time.

If you are trying to cram in as much as possible, stay in specific areas or else get a tube pass so you can get to the sites as quick as possible.

jaydaybay
11-01-2013, 07:21 PM
If you want views check out the shard. New tower with an observation deck on the upper floors.

Was over there in july, the londoners we were visiting preferred it over the eye.

Ive never been on the eye so cant compare...

Northendzone
11-01-2013, 07:59 PM
I heard London calling.......

SeeBass
11-02-2013, 06:09 AM
The best part of London is that it is only a 2 hour train ride from Paris

bigtmac19
11-02-2013, 11:21 AM
I thought the London Eye was pretty cool. Great view. We bought the express pass so no waiting in line. Walking the south bank was really nice. My favourite was Westminster Abbey. I wish we had made time for the British Museum especially as we stayed right around the corner. I loved Harrods. Could have spent an entire day wandering around in there, and the food in the market downstairs - OMG!!

Coys1882
11-02-2013, 11:24 AM
- The RAF museum
- a professional football match (even if you hate the sport - experience the atmosphere)

Coys1882
11-02-2013, 11:26 AM
The best part of London is that it is only a 2 hour train ride from Paris

française troll est à la traîne

STeeLy
11-02-2013, 11:47 AM
I will also add the Imperial War museum to that list of places to go.

MRCboicgy
11-02-2013, 03:25 PM
(and let's admit it, there is almost nothing as bad as a tired British hotel).

Fawlty Towers

Flowery twats?
Flay otters?

GrrlGoalie33
11-02-2013, 07:50 PM
The Tower Hotel comes highly recommended by my gf and her mum. Pretty much the only hotel they'll stay at. 15 minute walk to the tube, but great views of the Thames and tower bridge. http://www.guoman.com/en/hotels/united_kingdom/london/the_tower/index.html

stampsx2
11-03-2013, 07:15 AM
- a professional football match (even if you hate the sport - experience the atmosphere)

Don't forget to bring some sort of weapon. Professional sports aren't like they are here.

d_phaneuf
11-03-2013, 07:33 AM
Most of what has been covered has been great, but to follow up on the football match, depending on when during the holidays you are going it shouldn't be difficult to find one in England

In the premier league alone there are 3 on the 1st

K1LLswitch
11-03-2013, 08:53 AM
Where does one get tickets for a premier game, and any other info to know? I arrive in london at 10am on Nov 10th and there are a bunch of games that day...wondering what I need to know to not show up in the wrong color clothes and get stabbed before I get to my seat. :-/

bigtmac19
11-03-2013, 09:15 AM
Where does one get tickets for a premier game, and any other info to know? I arrive in london at 10am on Nov 10th and there are a bunch of games that day...wondering what I need to know to not show up in the wrong color clothes and get stabbed before I get to my seat. :-/

Make sure you wear a poppy!

Mean Mr. Mustard
11-03-2013, 02:29 PM
If you don't do one thing, make sure you don't go to the Tate Modern. What a piece of #### that thing is? It is a giant collection of crap. One exhibit was a mirror. It was submitted by two people and the card had some story about how the purpose was to have an introspective look at art. Go #### yourself. You submitted a mirror you ###### and likely got thousands of dollars for something you already owned and didn't make. I think 90% of the #### in that place was submitted as a joke, to troll people and/or to see how far they could bull#### the management.

Ugh really? The Tate Britain and the Tate Modern are two of the best art museums in the world and it would be easy to spend days in them. Do I think that all of it is great, absolutely not. Do I think that writing it off because of one exhibit that I didn't enjoy is even remotely intelligent. No.

Although I did go to an exhibition of chairs once and thought it was interesting...

squiggs96
11-03-2013, 03:08 PM
Ugh really? The Tate Britain and the Tate Modern are two of the best art museums in the world and it would be easy to spend days in them. Do I think that all of it is great, absolutely not. Do I think that writing it off because of one exhibit that I didn't enjoy is even remotely intelligent. No.

Although I did go to an exhibition of chairs once and thought it was interesting...

The mirror was the biggest waste of space, but I was also vastly disappointed with 99% of that place. There was a pile of bricks, another thing of air ducts, a room with only a spider web (on purpose), and I could go on and on. The only thing that was remotely cool as part of the regular building was a tree that was whittled into a stick. They had the trunk of the tree still in tact. Other than that, the Tate was a colossal waste of time.

During the time I was there they had a special showing of a skull made out of diamonds. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/For_the_Love_of_God This was separate from the rest of the building. I enjoyed seeing it, but it in no way made up for how much time I felt I wasted there.

Nyah
11-04-2013, 07:18 AM
Definitely going to try and check out a football game. I'll channel my inner Vinny Jones and bring some brass knuckles or something. Thanks for the hotel recommendation Frankster...will definitely check it out.

Also - I second the question regarding tickets to a premier league game. Is there a website or do you just buy the tickets at the venue?

me_dennis
11-04-2013, 08:13 AM
We spent 3 nights in London back in September and we stayed at the Tune Hotel Liverpool Street
http://www.tripadvisor.ca/Hotel_Review-g186338-d2458180-Reviews-Tune_Hotel_Liverpool_Street-London_England.html

The hotel was fairly cheap ($120/night) and we booked through Expedia. The reason why the Tune Hotel chains are cheaper is because they cut out a lot of the things that most hotels would include (ie cleaning of the rooms only every 3 days; towels, wifi, safe, tv, toiletries are all at an extra cost). Since we booked off of expedia, all of the above extras were included for free.

Location wise, it is super convenient. The hotel is located in the East End of London (near the Gherkin Building). The Liverpool Tube station is only a 10 minute walk away. Brick Lane is a 10 minute walk away as well, and Spitalfields market (it is actually open 7 days a week) is only a 5 minute walk away. There are tons of restaurants nearby and public transit is really good as well, so you can get around pretty easily.

We watched Les Miserables and it was absolutely amazing. I would suggest you goto the half price ticketbooth near chinatown to buy some discounted tickets for the same day, then head into chinatown for some dimsum or bbq duck (which apparently is world famous).

Have fun! London is one of my favorite cities in the world.

edmontonice
11-04-2013, 09:12 AM
ATP world tour finals runs Nov 4-11 if you're into tennis.

jofillips
11-04-2013, 09:24 AM
if you're at all worried about going to a football match just join the home fans and you'll be completley fine.
The real experience comes when you're with the away support and have 30 thousand people in a stadium chanting (it seems) directly at you!!!

Kipper is King
11-04-2013, 02:23 PM
I was in London for 3.5 weeks last year for the Olympics!

-First of all, don't get Oyster Cards for transit if you are only in London for a couple days. Get Travel Cards, which allow you unlimited travel in the system for 24 hours.

- When you get off the Tube in central London for the first time, get off at Westminster station. The view as you step out is amazing and it makes for a wonderful welcome to London.

- I stayed at the Premier Inn County Hall, which is located right next to the London Eye! The rooms aren't fancy, but they are decently sized and clean. It's a great value, and it's near to Waterloo, the largest Tube station.

http://www.premierinn.com/en/hotel/LONCOU/london-county-hall?cmp=KNC_D_BND&mckv=sxMValibg_dc|pcrid|34145117267|kword|premier% 20inn%20county%20hall|match|e|plid|

http://www.globalbeauties.com/world/2011/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/5394380_l.jpeg
Amazing location!

-The Eye is fairly quick to do even if there's a big lineup. The view is gorgeous.

-I ate at Fergus Henderson's restaurants a lot. St. John, St. John Hotel and St. John Bread and Wine all feature wonderful food at reasonable prices.

- StubHub has an affiliation with some EPL teams for football tix.

Enjoy London! It's honestly one of my favourite places on earth!

Addick
11-04-2013, 02:46 PM
Also - I second the question regarding tickets to a premier league game. Is there a website or do you just buy the tickets at the venue?

I tend to go directly through the clubs but as that often requires a membership or registration, you might find going through an agent/office easier. However, they might charge you more and unless they are recommended it could be a scam. So if you do go through a club, I'd recommend buying via their website.

It's probably not worth it to get a membership at a club so you're going to be looking for tickets that go on General Sale. Unfortunately, most matches involving the bigger clubs don't make it to general sale. However, you should still have a look around and see if any do by chance. Even though club will not require you to become a member to purchase tickets on GS, you'll probably have to register with their website.

At the end of the day, I'd recommend buying from the club and doing so online. Feel free to ask for further help securing tickets.

Mark
11-04-2013, 10:12 PM
I just went to a West Ham game which has a free membership a tons of tickets. Tried for Chelsea but was an incredible headache and didn't even bother with Arsenal.

Izzle
02-13-2015, 01:34 PM
BUMP

I booked return tickets to Calgary and noted that I have a 17 hour layover in London, UK. I'll be arriving 6pm on June 13 and flying out 11 am Jun 14. I plan on getting a hotel room (IBIS) near the airport. However, I plan on leaving my luggage there and venturing downtown to take in the sights and sounds.

There are no football games going on in June and since I'll be arriving in the evening, day time activities (stroll in park, going to the farmers market) are highly improbable. I know I'll be hungry, so some place with eats would be great. I love live entertainment so a pub with live music or even a show would be great. Just looking for suggestions so I dont have to stay in the hotel room and watch tv till my flight. Seems like a boring thing to do.

Thanks!

Flabbibulin
02-13-2015, 02:07 PM
BUMP

I booked return tickets to Calgary and noted that I have a 17 hour layover in London, UK. I'll be arriving 6pm on June 13 and flying out 11 am Jun 14. I plan on getting a hotel room (IBIS) near the airport. However, I plan on leaving my luggage there and venturing downtown to take in the sights and sounds.

There are no football games going on in June and since I'll be arriving in the evening, day time activities (stroll in park, going to the farmers market) are highly improbable. I know I'll be hungry, so some place with eats would be great. I love live entertainment so a pub with live music or even a show would be great. Just looking for suggestions so I dont have to stay in the hotel room and watch tv till my flight. Seems like a boring thing to do.

Thanks!

I would say take the heathrow/Paddington Express from Heathrow to Paddington and then head to Soho/Leicester square area on the Bakerloo line. Plenty of pubs with live music to choose from and the area is pretty lively in the evening. That is also the theatre district.

edit- keep in mind, if you are heading to an airport hotel from heathrow, you would then need to get back to heathrow to get the heathrow express. There is no doubt that this is the best option for getting into London from Heathrow. The regional trains will take much longer. The return fare is around 35 pounds, but worth it for the time and hassle saved imo.

There is always Richmond- very close to the airport, where could get a hotel and stay for the evening, but certainly not as cool as actually going into London.

I am making the assumption that you are at Heathrow and not Gatwick??

Izzle
02-13-2015, 02:34 PM
I would say take the heathrow/Paddington Express from Heathrow to Paddington and then head to Soho/Leicester square area on the Bakerloo line. Plenty of pubs with live music to choose from and the area is pretty lively in the evening. That is also the theatre district.

edit- keep in mind, if you are heading to an airport hotel from heathrow, you would then need to get back to heathrow to get the heathrow express. There is no doubt that this is the best option for getting into London from Heathrow. The regional trains will take much longer. The return fare is around 35 pounds, but worth it for the time and hassle saved imo.

There is always Richmond- very close to the airport, where could get a hotel and stay for the evening, but certainly not as cool as actually going into London.

I am making the assumption that you are at Heathrow and not Gatwick??

Re: bolded. That sounds like a really good idea. My plan was to bus to the hotel (in all honesty, I could walk to the hotel in about half hour), drop my luggage, then bus back to Heathrow airport and tube it to London. If Heathrow Express only takes about 35 pounds return, that would be a huge time saver.

Flabbibulin
02-13-2015, 04:11 PM
Re: bolded. That sounds like a really good idea. My plan was to bus to the hotel (in all honesty, I could walk to the hotel in about half hour), drop my luggage, then bus back to Heathrow airport and tube it to London. If Heathrow Express only takes about 35 pounds return, that would be a huge time saver.

Yup, it takes about 15 minutes. Free wifi as well in case you want to look into what may be going on that evening. Might be a pain taking the bus to and from Heathrow, but probably still faster than taking a regional train into London- which would probably be over an hour. At the end of the day, there are an endless number of parts of London you could visit and find plenty to do, but this general area is perfect for an evening visit- piccadilly, oxford circus, leicester square, chinatown, and soho.

afc wimbledon
02-13-2015, 10:01 PM
Just go for a walk from Westminster bridge along the river, on the the south bank down to the tower, thousand years of history right there, make sure you stop for a beer at the anchor where Pepys watched London burn then wander over to the prospect of whitby, where Christopher Marlowe was murdered and Joseph Conrad set the beginning of heart of darkness.

Bagor
02-13-2015, 10:53 PM
I know I'll be hungry, so some place with eats would be great. I love live entertainment so a pub with live music or even a show would be great.

Food suggestion http://www.wagamama.com/restaurants Bottom dropdown, select London

Entertainment? http://www.timeout.com/london

Don't sweat getting back by train if you fall into a party. The night buses are excellent. Just ask your hotel which one runs close. All leave from Trafalgar square

afc wimbledon
02-13-2015, 11:05 PM
Food suggestion http://www.wagamama.com/restaurants Bottom dropdown, select London

Entertainment? http://www.timeout.com/london

Don't sweat getting back by train if you fall into a party. The night buses are excellent. Just ask your hotel which one runs close. All leave from Trafalgar square

Trafalgar square on a weekend about 2am is a sight to see!! We Brits like to get effed up.

Slava
02-14-2015, 07:41 AM
Can I piggyback this thread as well. I'm planning a trip in October for the Rugby World Cup and am extremely excited! I haven't booked flights or anything yet because I haven't completely decided on dates...part of me wants to see Canada play, and another part of me wants to come for the Final and NFL London the next day with the Kansas City Chiefs.

I am wondering about where to stay (city-wise, as I will probably do a VRBO or AirBNB kind of thing), and getting around once we're there. I have never been, but it seems like trains are the way to go and both easy and reliable? Also in terms of the flights is BA really the best option? I've heard that from a couple people, but again have no idea.

browna
02-14-2015, 11:57 AM
Can I piggyback this thread as well. I'm planning a trip in October for the Rugby World Cup and am extremely excited! I haven't booked flights or anything yet because I haven't completely decided on dates...part of me wants to see Canada play, and another part of me wants to come for the Final and NFL London the next day with the Kansas City Chiefs.

I am wondering about where to stay (city-wise, as I will probably do a VRBO or AirBNB kind of thing), and getting around once we're there. I have never been, but it seems like trains are the way to go and both easy and reliable? Also in terms of the flights is BA really the best option? I've heard that from a couple people, but again have no idea.

The more central the better, obviously. Our first time there was a few months ago. We stayed in Mayfair, and being more of a financial neighbourhood, was quiet in the evening as opposed to down in Kensington or Traflagar Sq area. Green and Hyde Parks were nearby around a 5 minute walk, 10 minutes to Buckingham, 20-25 minute walk to Westminister area, or Trafalgar Sq if you went that direction.

Or, a 5 minute walk to a central tube station (Green Park) which could've taken us on any number of lines in all direction, such as the Natural History museum. Or if wanted to bus it back after walking to the National Gallery etc, a 8 minute bus ride.

You pay for it (though we had booked one hotel in Kensington, then a week before arrival, checked again and a more central place became available for a significantly lower rate), but at least for the first time, if you're doing touristy things, I think it's worth it to get the lay of the land.

If we had stayed at the original place nearer Kensington, all our days there would've first consisted of getting on the tube to get into more central areas, instead of walking to our first destination as we did.

As for the person with the overnighter, just be aware that you may not get to where's been suggested, until after 9 o'clock or so, probably later. Passport control may take over an hour, and Heathrow's fairly large obviously, by the time you get to the hotel, freshen up and get back to the large airport to catch the Express. You're still at 20 minutes away after you get to Paddington to get to the Chinatown/Trafalgar square/Soho area via the Baker Line.

Though we saw most of the major highlights as we had planned, definitely see us going back to search out some more of the city...very cool vibe and unique place in this world.

carom
02-16-2015, 03:17 PM
Izzle- keep in mind you need to get back to the airport fairly early on a Sunday morning. London has a great travel system, but Brits don't like working on Sunday's so the service is reduced (and when maintenance is usually performed). If you don't want to get ripped off take an expensive cab ride on Sunday plan to stay close to the airport. I live in the Borough of Richmond so I am biased, but I think a Saturday evening pint on the River Thames is a great way to spend a summer evening, and less than an hour from Heathrow with many different public transit options.

Slava- I am thinking of getting tickets for the Canada game in Milton Keynes, otherwise I think all their games are pretty far from London. Let me know how serious you get as I can get tickets relatively easily (still on sale last I checked). All the games at Twickenham are long sold out except for an Italy Wales game, I think. I am a season ticket holder for Harlequins so i have been trying to get into the rugby union scene. Anyway, as for your other questions: trains are great for getting around, I just flew air canada and it was fine. I think air transat does weekly charter flights out of gatwick that are the cheapest.

Send me a pm if you have any other questions.

Barnet Flame
02-16-2015, 03:34 PM
If eating out in London, or anywhere in the UK for that matter, for restaurant chains you should only rarely have to pay full price.

If you register to get emails from places like Pizza Express, Ask Italian, Chimichanga, etc. you'll typically and regularly get voucher codes for 25% discounts or 'buy one main, get another free'.

http://www.hotukdeals.com/ is a good site. You can do searches for just about anything (including accommodation and days out) and get deals.

Travelling by train? Visit this site for two for one deals at places like the London Eye, London Dungeons, Legoland, Harry Potter Tours and St. Pauls as well as dining deals. http://www.daysoutguide.co.uk/2for1-london

You should rarely be paying full price for stuff here.

Slava
02-16-2015, 04:17 PM
Izzle- keep in mind you need to get back to the airport fairly early on a Sunday morning. London has a great travel system, but Brits don't like working on Sunday's so the service is reduced (and when maintenance is usually performed). If you don't want to get ripped off take an expensive cab ride on Sunday plan to stay close to the airport. I live in the Borough of Richmond so I am biased, but I think a Saturday evening pint on the River Thames is a great way to spend a summer evening, and less than an hour from Heathrow with many different public transit options.

Slava- I am thinking of getting tickets for the Canada game in Milton Keynes, otherwise I think all their games are pretty far from London. Let me know how serious you get as I can get tickets relatively easily (still on sale last I checked). All the games at Twickenham are long sold out except for an Italy Wales game, I think. I am a season ticket holder for Harlequins so i have been trying to get into the rugby union scene. Anyway, as for your other questions: trains are great for getting around, I just flew air canada and it was fine. I think air transat does weekly charter flights out of gatwick that are the cheapest.

Send me a pm if you have any other questions.

I was just looking at the Transat flights actually and they're easily the cheapest (by about $1000 roundtrip for 2 adults!). I'm basically debating dates and what else to do there while we're there. I do want to see Canada, but then again I've seen them and can see them anytime. When will I ever get to see New Zealand again though?! Watching them pound Georgia is still available, and tha Haka would be amazing. Then again there is a Scotland/South Africa game which would be incredible as well. So many choices.

My issue isn't seriousness though; I'm coming and its happening! I will go to a couple games most likely, and tour around England to some extent doing the tourist thing and then maybe head to Paris for a day or two in there. Basically we're looking at two weeks and trying to cram as much as possible into those two weeks. Planning to be very busy!

Slava
08-09-2015, 08:26 AM
I thought that I would resurrect this old thread and ask about peoples opinions on the London Pass. I've never been to London, so will be checking out the major attractions and while I'm staying close to the city center, I be taking the train for basically everything. I suppose this decision comes down to whether all of these places are worth touring or just seeing from the outside and skipping the tour. Any advice on that would be greatly appreciated!