PDA

View Full Version : Post Degree Certificates

MrPlow
10-28-2013, 10:39 AM
I've been throwing around the idea of taking an online certificate course to augment my bachelors degree. Basically, I feel that just having a bachelors degree didn't give me enough hands on knowledge to get a higher paying job and I don't have the energy to pursue a MBA (yet).

Certificate Programs I have looked into so far are:

Occupational Health & Safety
Land Administration

Does anyone have any insight into what are some of the best certificates to take?

I apoloise if similar threads have been created. I searched and none came up for me.

Thank you CP for your insight.

tete
10-28-2013, 11:19 AM
I've been throwing around the idea of taking an online certificate course to augment my bachelors degree. Basically, I feel that just having a bachelors degree didn't give me enough hands on knowledge to get a higher paying job and I don't have the energy to pursue a MBA (yet).

Certificate Programs I have looked into so far are:

Occupational Health & Safety
Land Administration
Does anyone have any insight into what are some of the best certificates to take?

I apoloise if similar threads have been created. I searched and none came up for me.

Thank you CP for your insight.

I've taken the Land Administration Certificate from Mount Royal - it looks like they've changed the program a bit - you used to get a generic Land Admin Cert, but now you get separate Surface and Mineral Certs. I really liked the course, found much of it very easy because I was very familiar with the Dominion Land Survey system. I watched many students struggle with the DLS, but it's easy once you get working with it.

I don't work as a Land Admin, I never have, but I think having the certificate helped me get my current job in O&G. (I'd previously had no O&G experience, but the fact I took this impressed my interviewers). Hopefully someone else can chime in as to how employable the certificate is within the industry.

bizaro86
10-28-2013, 11:28 AM
What's your degree in? It makes sense to do something where your degree would also be a relevant qualification, imo.

GGG
10-28-2013, 01:21 PM
If you can get a job a field you like where you are gaining experience I would hold off getting the certificate. First find the next job you want and talk with the person in it on what types of qualifications they had and if they helped.

I think a lot of paper isn't worth what it is printed on let alone the thousands of dollars. Find out what your employer or other employers are looking for in the specific job you want and go get it.

V
10-28-2013, 03:03 PM
Take 2 MBA courses a semester. Each course will teach you a lot you probably don't already know, and you can use that stuff instantly, so it's not like it's useless until you graduate.

It's actually not that hard if you're only hitting 2 courses per semester. And it sounds like you might at some point want to get your MBA anyways.

If you don't want to go for the MBA, though, it does look like there's a lot of potential in the OH&S job market.

CaptainCrunch
10-29-2013, 09:10 AM
I hear that there are lucrative careers in fire arm repairs and business management with quickbooks.