PDA

View Full Version : Pro-lifers on Deerfoot and Douglas Glen overpass

Coys1882
10-25-2013, 05:32 PM
Protesters had a pretty graphic banner of an aborted fetus hanging over the side for south bound traffic - pretty grim sight.

I have no problem with people having a belief or opinion but this is a little graphic for public consumption and no chance to filter it.

PIMking
10-25-2013, 05:33 PM
I don't get em, I'm pro choice but that doesn't mean I'm pro Abortion.

morgin
10-25-2013, 05:35 PM
Imagine if there were pro-burial protestors who hijacked public spaces to show graphic videos of cremation. That'd be way cooler.

Resolute 14
10-25-2013, 05:37 PM
God, not these idiots again.

habernac
10-25-2013, 05:44 PM
how many unwanted crack babies are these a-holes adopting?

Nehkara
10-25-2013, 05:49 PM
I find these signs very distracting and they are seemingly always on Deerfoot, one of the busiest and most dangerous roadways in the city.

Is there any law under which they can be ticketed/arrested? Does this qualify as "stunting"?

sworkhard
10-25-2013, 06:01 PM
I find these signs very distracting and they are seemingly always on Deerfoot, one of the busiest and most dangerous roadways in the city.

Is there any law under which they can be ticketed/arrested? Does this qualify as "stunting"?

It's within the law. The group that organizes this (CCBR) is very careful to stay within the confines of the law, but aren't scared to utilize loopholes in it either. This is why the signs are never tied onto the railing for example, but are held up instead.

octothorp
10-25-2013, 06:06 PM
I saw a group of them in a park in west hillhurst yesterday. Seemed like a really random spot. Maybe a flurry of anti-abortion protests as a prelude to lobbying politicians at the Conservative convention next week?

Acey
10-25-2013, 06:06 PM
It's not stunting, nor could it possibly be as they're not in vehicles... but I think somebody had posted something about a bylaw prohibiting distracting propaganda or something such.

KelVarnsen
10-25-2013, 06:16 PM
I hear dead fetus is good with gyoza sauce.

Magnum PEI
10-25-2013, 06:28 PM
I saw a group of them in a park in west hillhurst yesterday. Seemed like a really random spot. Maybe a flurry of anti-abortion protests as a prelude to lobbying politicians at the Conservative convention next week?

There's an abortion clinic on 5th avenue & Crowchild. I always see protestors there, but usually they don't have graphic images.

Cuz
10-25-2013, 06:36 PM
There's an abortion clinic on 5th avenue & Crowchild. I always see protestors there, but usually they don't have graphic images.

What gets me about these protestors is there are often little kids protesting there. To me, that is irresponsible parenting to make your kids hold up protest sings (regardless of what you're protesting).

octothorp
10-25-2013, 06:37 PM

Oh okay that's exactly where this was.

DuffMan
10-25-2013, 07:32 PM
Is it legal to masturbate in front of these guys to the photos? Something to equally horrify these prudes.

maybe in Sweden

http://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthread.php?t=130548&highlight=sweden%2C

The Goon
10-25-2013, 07:52 PM
Well, good for them. That stunt changed my mind. I'm totally on their side now!

Coach
10-25-2013, 07:54 PM
I saw these guys on deerfoot a few months ago. I honked and flipped them the bird as I went by and it felt great.

calgarywinning
10-25-2013, 08:26 PM
All I can say is thank god the anti-abortion activists weren't aborted or who would protest abortion?

1stLand
10-25-2013, 10:02 PM
Abortion is murder. Lets call a spade a spade.
If someone wants to abort a baby then it is completely within their right to do so.
Not sure why pro-lifers waste their time with these protests.
Public opinion is split and isn't going to change.

Yamer
10-25-2013, 10:07 PM

It's not that black & white, sorry.

BigNumbers
10-25-2013, 10:07 PM
If someone wants to abort a baby then it is completely within their right to do so.

Ban in 3...2...1

Bye Corey.

Dan02
10-25-2013, 10:09 PM
Abortion is murder.

Only took 3 words for the whole argument to go right over your head.

Minnie
10-25-2013, 10:13 PM

http://i43.tinypic.com/11v7djm.gif

1stLand
10-25-2013, 10:14 PM
It's not that black & white, sorry.

No I never said it was black and white. But it is taking a life away.
People will have a different definition as to when life begins.

That's partly the grey area.

Other parts up for debate are:
- aborting because of rape or incest
- aborting a child who will be born with a serious disability etc.

I am not saying abortion is wrong.

Who defines right and wrong?

It is however "murder" in the sense that it destroys a developing human life.

Yamer
10-25-2013, 10:22 PM
No I never said it was black and white. But it is taking a life away.
People will have a different definition as to when life begins.

That's partly the grey area.

Other parts up for debate are:
- aborting because of rape or incest
- aborting a child who will be born with a serious disability etc.

I am not saying abortion is wrong.

Who defines right and wrong?

It is however "murder" in the sense that it destroys a developing human life.

If those conditions are what you include in your definition of murder, yes it is. However, many people don't include a cluster of cells into a murderable category.

As to the topic, I have dealt with groups with this particular mindset within a professional setting. In my limited experience, it seems like they are hard-set on shock tactics as they think it is the only effective means to get their message out. It's unfortunate that they don't realize how they actually aren't accomplishing anything with this method.

It's such a short-sighted campaign strategy, and they just can't get it because they get the immediate results of generating controversy. It gets attention, but little else. The opposition gets outraged, supporters get passionate and defensive, and neutrals role their eyes and shake their heads.

How about creating a platform for reasonable discussion for a change?

KelVarnsen
10-25-2013, 10:24 PM
http://cache.blippitt.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/Popcorn-02-Stephen-Colbert.gif

1stLand
10-25-2013, 10:35 PM
If those conditions are what you include in your definition of murder, yes it is. However, many people don't include a cluster of cells into a murderable category.

As to the topic, I have dealt with groups with this particular mindset within a professional setting. In my limited experience, it seems like they are hard-set on shock tactics as they think it is the only effective means to get their message out. It's unfortunate that they don't realize how they actually aren't accomplishing anything with this method.

It's such a short-sighted campaign strategy, and they just can't get it because they get the immediate results of generating controversy. It gets attention, but little else. The opposition gets outraged, supporters get passionate and defensive, and neutrals role their eyes and shake their heads.

How about creating a platform for reasonable discussion for a change?

It's a controversial subject and there is never going to be consensus.

Don't know why people devote their lives to fighting for either side of the cause.

Yamer
10-25-2013, 10:40 PM

Don't know why people devote their lives to fighting for either side of the cause.

Mainly because it is an important choice that has a meaningful impact in varying ways.

Personally, I don't think graphic campaigns are the right way to go about promoting your message. How many people actually quit smoking because of the gruesome images on cigarette packages?

nik-
10-25-2013, 10:43 PM
1stLand tries pretty hard to troll.

DuffMan
10-25-2013, 10:59 PM

you're all over the place here. it's murder, it's ok, it's controversial.

Northendzone
10-25-2013, 11:47 PM
This overpass is currently within my top five overpasses.......

Personally I don't believe I have the right to tell a woman what she should be doing with her body......

Cole436
10-26-2013, 01:53 AM
Can we please not have the abortion "discussion" again? :bag:

DuffMan
10-26-2013, 10:29 AM
Can we please not have the abortion "discussion" again? :bag:

You have the right to ignore this thread, you know.

polak
10-26-2013, 12:54 PM
I had a really cute pro lifer come to my door not too long ago. Would have loved to give her a reason to test her resolve.

Falcon punch down stairs as a plan b of course.

Resolute 14
10-26-2013, 03:09 PM
Ban in 3...2...1

Bye Corey.

Why? The only thing that he's got clearly wrong is his first point. The second and third are dead on, and history argues that his fourth is also accurate.

GGG
10-27-2013, 04:01 PM
I had a really cute pro lifer come to my door not too long ago. Would have loved to give her a reason to test her resolve.

Falcon punch down stairs as a plan b of course.

Best episode of Always sunny ever

cam_wmh
10-27-2013, 06:15 PM

I just mass murdered thousands minute ago, using a box of kleenex as my aid.

Authorities should be at my door shortly?

Russic
10-28-2013, 09:14 AM
I'd rather see the banner on the Deerfoot as I rip by at 100km/h. I unfortunately had the opportunity to be under these losers on the 14th street overpass during rush hour. If you're curious, the annoyance you feel during gridlock don't get much better when you're beneath a giant fetus.

The Yen Man
10-28-2013, 09:30 AM
So what is the goal of these people? If it's to get the general public on their side, they're doing it totally wrong. I don't understand how antagonizing the public will sway people to their cause.

DuffMan
10-28-2013, 09:44 AM
So what is the goal of these people? If it's to get the general public on their side, they're doing it totally wrong. I don't understand how antagonizing the public will sway people to their cause.

shock value.

Yamer
10-28-2013, 10:05 AM
shock value.

The problem is this method has shown time and time again to be ineffective. It generates discussion for a short period of time, but never the right kind of progressive discussion. All this does is further entrench people in their previous opinions and viewpoints.

undercoverbrother
10-28-2013, 10:10 AM
The problem is this method has shown time and time again to be ineffective. It generates discussion for a short period of time, but never the right kind of progressive discussion. All this does is further entrench people in their previous opinions and viewpoints.

The problem is you are applying a rational approach to the discussion of an issue to this particular issue, and in particular to this side of the issue.

My experience is that the pro-life side is much more emotionally driven.

return to the red
10-28-2013, 12:06 PM
The only purpose of things such as this, is to draw attention to it.

Talking about it on a hockey internet forum...mission accomplished

Cuz
10-28-2013, 01:49 PM
The problem is you are applying a rational approach to the discussion of an issue to this particular issue, and in particular to this side of the issue.

My experience is that the pro-life side is much more emotionally religiously driven.

Edited for truth

Resolute 14
10-28-2013, 02:46 PM

And the discussion it generates has nothing to do with the message. It all revolves around the messenger.

There was a significant anti-abortion protest down MacLeod Trail several years ago. Something like 1000 people, all holding signs from about Chinook Centre to Southcentre. The signs didn't aim for shock value, they just aimed to present their message that abortion was bad. I ended up walking through half of that protest, and the closest anyone got to being offensive was one person who said "God bless you" as I passed by.

Now, their protest was no more effective in changing my views than this one was, but at least I walked away from that group respecting them and their opinion. These fools, not so much.

Regulator75
10-28-2013, 03:21 PM
I really want to go on a Grand Theft Auto driving rampage and take out all the demonstrators in the process.

ken0042
10-28-2013, 03:29 PM
I think the other purpose here is now kids in cars will ask "Mommy- what's that?" Maybe get kids minds made up at an early age.

The other place I've heard of them doing this is university campuses; a place where there are likely the greatest ratio of women who may be considering an elective abortion.

I don't agree with the methods, but I do see the logic behind them.

Resolute 14
10-28-2013, 04:04 PM
"Mommy, what's that?"
"Just some annoying people trying to distract drivers, dear. Now go back to watching My Little Pony on your iPad."

PsYcNeT
10-28-2013, 04:06 PM
"Mommy, what's that?"
"Just some annoying people trying to distract drivers, dear. Now go back to watching My Little Pony on your iPad."

Despite mainly living in their parents basement, I'm sure Bronies know what abortion is.