PDA

View Full Version : Men need to meet up with friends twice a week to stay healthy

GreenLantern
10-24-2013, 11:17 AM
What do one of the oldest beer companies in the world and an Oxford professor of psychology have in common? They both think men need more time together. Drinking beer. And playing sports.

That’s right, gents, put down your phones, shut your laptops and grab a pint with your buddies at the local pub, because science says your health may depend on it. Men need a minimum of two guys nights a week to maintain good health, and it’s a scientific fact, at least according to new research from a U.K. psychologist.

Dunbar goes so far as to recommend guys “do stuff” while they socialize. In addition to drinking beer and laughing together, men should try to choose to play a number of team sports. “Bonds can be formed through a range of activities from team sports to male banter — or simply having a pint with your pals on a Friday night,” he said in the report.

Too busy with their day-to-day lives, one in three men in the U.K. can’t find the time to meet once a week, and 40% of men are only able to make a “guys’ night” a weekly affair. Despite spending 20% of their day interacting through other means (all of which can be done on a smartphone), men need to meet face to face to keep their broships strong, Dunbar suggests.

http://www.nationalpost.com/m/wp/blog.html?b=life.nationalpost.com%2F2013%2F10%2F22 %2Fmen-need-to-meet-up-with-friends-for-a-brew-or-a-brawl-to-stay-healthy-u-k-study

Will be printing this to put on the fridge. Sorry sweet pea, I got to stay healthy.

Ozy_Flame
10-24-2013, 11:19 AM
Guy's night before wives night.

Reaper
10-24-2013, 11:20 AM
Guy's night before wives night.Good luck with that one. Let me know how warm the dog house is.

Ozy_Flame
10-24-2013, 11:25 AM
Good luck with that one. Let me know how warm the dog house is.

I'm not married.

And it sounds like your wife has you by the balls.

GreenLantern
10-24-2013, 11:27 AM
This is one thing I find I argue with the GF the most, I like to see my friends on a weekly basis, she is more about spending time with her family.. so we are always trying to find that balance. This is obviously a common thing, but why don't girls ever seem to be as close with their GF's as we are with our friends? Cause girls are mean?

Reaper
10-24-2013, 11:30 AM
I'm not married.

And it sounds like your wife has you by the balls.Not being married explains it.

When you get married you make a commitment to share your life with your partner. If you don't have time to spend with her yet you have time to spend with your buddies there is going to be trouble.

And yes, my wife has me by the balls. She minds the satchel well.

CaramonLS
10-24-2013, 11:40 AM
This is one thing I find I argue with the GF the most, I like to see my friends on a weekly basis, she is more about spending time with her family.. so we are always trying to find that balance. This is obviously a common thing, but why don't girls ever seem to be as close with their GF's as we are with our friends? Cause girls are mean?

I've noticed Girls tend to fall in and out of friendships more easily than guys do. They can be best friends with someone and speak to them on a daily basis, something happens and they don't talk for a year.

I know with my friends it doesn't fluctuate all that much.

Ozy_Flame
10-24-2013, 11:42 AM
Not being married explains it.

When you get married you make a commitment to share your life with your partner. If you don't have time to spend with her yet you have time to spend with your buddies there is going to be trouble.

And yes, my wife has me by the balls. She minds the satchel well.

Ok :)

PsYcNeT
10-24-2013, 11:55 AM
What happens if I meet up with my bros just to eat chicken wings, brink beer, and cause injury to myself from eating too many wings and drinking said beer. :beer:

fundmark19
10-24-2013, 12:07 PM
These arguments were cut down drastically when my wife finally met a bunch of good friends/other mothers through my kid school. The argument of 'why do you need to spend time with them' absolutely vanishes when she goes out with her girlfriends for dinners, etc the same way. I love when she goes out for the night or away for a weekend.

I think a lot of time (have seen with friends situations) 'why do you hate to spend time with me' actually means 'why don't I have friends like you do'.

.....and before the misogyny angle comesa out, this is a spouse/spoiuse problem, not so much sex related.

I have been trying to get this going for years and I hope having a baby finally does it. I hang out with the guys every Tuesday and always feel guilty that there isn't a night that she gets to take off a week.

Puppet Guy
10-24-2013, 12:13 PM
Maybe I should take this as a sign to actually get some friends.

GreenLantern
10-24-2013, 12:39 PM
Yes that is a really good point, she has next to no friends and the few close ones she has live in Calgary or Regina. Not exactly night time coffee distance. Her best friend is really her sister... which makes it tough with the whole family angle.. especially since her brother in law is a mamma's boy who wears multiple popped collars :( How can I relate to that level of ###### baggery!

TurnedTheCorner
10-24-2013, 12:44 PM
Being healthy is overrated.

undercoverbrother
10-24-2013, 12:44 PM
Yes that is a really good point, she has next to no friends and the few close ones she has live in Calgary or Regina. Not exactly night time coffee distance. Her best friend is really her sister... which makes it tough with the whole family angle.. especially since her brother in law is a mamma's boy who wears multiple popped collars :( How can I relate to that level of ###### baggery!

I see you popped collars bro-in-law and raise you a bro-in-law that is 35 yrs old that still lives in his parent's basement (rent free), has never bought a vehicle (all have been given to him by his parents), had his post secondary paid by parents (but flunked out), still has his mother wake him up for work (this includes the winter, they ring from Pheonix), and he never brings more than a 5 pack of beer to my house, yet somehow manages to drink himself blind. Oh and did I mention he had enough money to go to Europe for 3 wks, but still can't pay rent to his parents.

Zarley
10-24-2013, 12:45 PM
I've learned that proper strategy for this is to occupy yourself with excess amounts of "bro" activities at the beginning of the relationship, and then cut back as things get more serious.

ie: Start out by golfing twice per week and playing on two beer leauge hockey teams. Once you are married you can cut back to 1 round of golf and 1 team and say that you've made sacrifices for her.

undercoverbrother
10-24-2013, 12:45 PM
Being healthy is overrated.

Paging bc-chris.......

MacDaddy77
10-24-2013, 12:46 PM
I'm not married.

And it sounds like your wife has you by the balls.

haha show me a man who's wife doesn't have him by the balls and I'll show you a liar

Ozy_Flame
10-24-2013, 12:51 PM
haha show me a man who's wife doesn't have him by the balls and I'll show you a liar

It's true. 90% of married men are at the mercy of their wives; The other 10% are probably on the verge of divorce :D

By why does a wife have to get upset if you want to spend two nights a week with your buddies? Seems like a reasonable request. Especially without kids.

MacDaddy77
10-24-2013, 01:01 PM
It's true. 90% of married men are at the mercy of their wives; The other 10% are probably on the verge of divorce :D

By why does a wife have to get upset if you want to spend two nights a week with your buddies? Seems like a reasonable request. Especially without kids.

exactly for the reasons other posters stated, I know my wife has great friends and we aren't in this situation (we each go out with friends alot, not weekly but quite a bit) but its hard for her to get friends together to go out, it's always such a process, they have to pick a restaurant, get made up and go out. I think there's alot of envy from wives when a husband gets a phone call on tuesday and we can go to some hole in the wall and be perfectly happy as long as there's cold beer and a tv

troutman
10-24-2013, 01:04 PM
Research sponsored by the Wiserhood.

http://www.rickhendershot.com/images/wiserhood-society-400.jpg

troutman
10-24-2013, 01:06 PM
I love when she goes out for the night or away for a weekend.

Dear Penthouse Forum:

I never thought I would be writing to you, or that this could happen to me. It all started when my wife went out for the night . . .

Bane
10-24-2013, 01:15 PM

Melvin (Jack Nicholson) said it best in As Good As It Gets

Receptionist: How do you write women so well?
Melvin Udall: I think of a man, and I take away reason and accountability.

Komskies
10-24-2013, 01:23 PM
Three cheers for drinking beers while playing NHL 14 with the boys!

GreatWhiteEbola
10-24-2013, 01:25 PM
Guinness sponsored study, I'm sure it's been peer reviewed. I will believe it regardless.

Bill Bumface
10-24-2013, 01:33 PM
I get 5 weeks more vacation than my wife does. This year I'll have gone on a boys mountain biking trip, one to the US to watch soccer and baseball, and a Flames trip to the NE USA this winter (where German poster josef is meeting us!).

I feel a little guilty, because I ditch her a lot, and I spend tons of our money doing it... but she never complains, so I'm not going to ask questions. I know kids will ruin my life soon enough.

calumniate
10-24-2013, 01:34 PM
Join no ma'am. If not, you might as well join yes ma'am

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_JDF20fmuhLY/TLm84P6C0sI/AAAAAAAABoA/YFJTDVHloWM/s1600/David+Futrelle.jpg

Titan
10-24-2013, 01:35 PM
I see you popped collars bro-in-law and raise you a bro-in-law that is 35 yrs old that still lives in his parent's basement (rent free), has never bought a vehicle (all have been given to him by his parents), had his post secondary paid by parents (but flunked out), still has his mother wake him up for work (this includes the winter, they ring from Pheonix), and he never brings more than a 5 pack of beer to my house, yet somehow manages to drink himself blind. Oh and did I mention he had enough money to go to Europe for 3 wks, but still can't pay rent to his parents.
I have a sister in law just like that. Maybe we should hook them up?

habernac
10-24-2013, 01:36 PM

holy enablers, Batman! Just kick his ass out of the house!!

Rerun
10-24-2013, 01:44 PM
For some reason I thought you were posting a Personals Want Ad..

I read your subject title as : Men needed, to meet up with friends twice a week, to stay healthy

Muta
10-24-2013, 01:49 PM
If you can establish going out with your buddies at least twice a week, and have a girl that's okay with that, you've won.

undercoverbrother
10-24-2013, 01:53 PM
I have a sister in law just like that. Maybe we should hook them up?

They sound like they would be great together.

holy enablers, Batman! Just kick his ass out of the house!!

No ####, at least my wife can see that was well.

I no longer even talk to the guy.

polak
10-24-2013, 01:54 PM
Ugh you guys make being married sound miserable.

Couldn't you claim that sports with your buddies keeps you in shape and healthy?

Ozy_Flame
10-24-2013, 01:57 PM
I will have to agree with this. Wives who won't let you out of the house more than twice a week sound more like prison guards.

Can't one of those nights be a co-ed sports team or something? You can involve your wife and still do it with your buddies.

habernac
10-24-2013, 02:10 PM
They sound like they would be great together.

No ####, at least my wife can see that was well.

I no longer even talk to the guy.

my brother-in-law is lazy, but at least he had the courtesy to leave at age 30 :w00t:

Though after 8 years of being gone, he still hasn't filled out a change of address for his bank, etc. He still gets his mail once a week from his parents.

habernac
10-24-2013, 02:12 PM
Ugh you guys make being married sound miserable.

Couldn't you claim that sports with your buddies keeps you in shape and healthy?

I've been married for 10 years, together for 15. Your partner will be fine with you going out once or twice a week if they're worth staying with.

Rathji
10-24-2013, 02:14 PM
It's true. 90% of married men are at the mercy of their wives;The other 10% are probably on the verge of divorce :D

I think the general premise of this statement is correct, with one exception, I don't think it is limited to men.

In my marriage, I do whatever I can to make sure my wife is reasonably happy. I don't cater to her every need, but if she isn't happy it makes my like generally worse. Not because she becomes a raging bitch or anything if I don't, but just because I like hanging around with happy people.

However, the flip case is also true, as my wife goes out of her way to make sure I am reasonably happy.

I also agree that anyone who isn't in a similar situation is likely in trouble in some way in their marriage. I am not saying they are doomed for divorce or anything extreme like that, because in the years I have been married it has been that way more than on one occasion, but I just mean that it could be better.

Now, on the topic of time out with friends, both my wife and I have days during the week that we set aside for our own stuff. She goes and does her boot camp/training , and goes out with her friends to watch her shows or have wings etc. I go out and play games with my friends and have people over for guys night stuff.

Stuff like that is really important to staying sane, especially if you have kids.

_Q_
10-24-2013, 02:25 PM
If you can establish going out with your buddies at least twice a week, and have a girl that's okay with that, you've won.

I have a girl that does that. One of the main reasons why I broke up with my last girlfriend was because she wasn't willing to let me see my friends as much as I wanted.

This might hurt some of you, but some of you need to grow a pair and take control of your lives.

undercoverbrother
10-24-2013, 02:37 PM
I have a girl that does that. One of the main reasons why I broke up with my last girlfriend was because she wasn't willing to let me see my friends as much as I wanted.

This might hurt some of you, but some of you need to grow a pair and take control of your lives.

Oh man.....:rolleyes:

Muta
10-24-2013, 02:43 PM

I'm probably going to be in the minority here and get slammed for this, but I agree with you on both counts.

octothorp
10-24-2013, 02:50 PM
Can't one of those nights be a co-ed sports team or something? You can involve your wife and still do it with your buddies.

Or something. Right.

FlamesAddiction
10-24-2013, 02:51 PM

See, with my wife, we moved around quite a bit because of me, so neither of us have a lot of friends where we live (and her even less because she was unemployed for a long time after we moved). If I were to go out often without her, she would feel really left out (and I totally understand). I have the balls to do it, but not the heart.

We're pretty much a package deal these days.

Rerun
10-24-2013, 02:53 PM
Good articles there Green Lantern...

I think I pass when it comes to showing them to my wife...

They'll probably go over just as well as this one did when I printed it out to show her.. :whaa:

8. More Ejaculations May Make Prostate Cancer Less Likely

Research shows that frequent ejaculations, especially in 20-something men, may lower the risk of getting prostate cancer later in life.

A study published in the Journal of the American Medical Association found that men who had 21 or more ejaculations a month were less likely to get prostate cancer than those who had four to seven ejaculations per month.
The study doesn't prove that ejaculations were the only factor that mattered. Many things affect a person's odds of developing cancer. But when the researchers took that into consideration, the findings still held.

http://www.webmd.com/sex-relationships/guide/10-surprising-health-benefits-of-sex?page=2

_Q_
10-24-2013, 02:56 PM
See, with my wife, we moved around quite a bit because of me, so neither of us have a lot of friends where we live (and her even less because she was unemployed for a long time after we moved). If I were to go out often without her, she would feel really left out (and I totally understand). I have the balls to do it, but not the heart.

We're pretty much a package deal these days.

Sure, that's understandable. You seem to be happy with that decision so all the power to you. Moving to another city where you don't know anyone must be tough. Having someone who's supposed to be your best friend there with you all the time must make it much easier.

What I don't like is the dudes that go MIA after they get married because their wife won't "let them" go out anymore. It's as if she has some sort of mystical power that chains them to the bed post right after work only to be released at 7am the next morning.

Muta
10-24-2013, 03:04 PM
What I don't like is the dudes that go MIA after they get married because their wife won't "let them" go out anymore. It's as if she has some sort of mystical power that chains them to the bed post right after work only to be released at 7am the next morning.

Or, buddies that bring their women everywhere, to everything. Even when the situation dictates that they probably shouldn't.

STOP THAT.

_Q_
10-24-2013, 03:10 PM
Or, buddies that bring their women everywhere, to everything. Even when the situation dictates that they probably shouldn't.

STOP THAT.

Or the guys that call their wife their "boss". As in going to Futureshop because said man needs a laptop, after deciding which one he likes, he needs to call "the boss" to confirm that it's ok.

Being harsh again, but life will not get better from here on out if you hand your balls to your woman on a silver platter. Women want to be with real men, real men make decisions.

Reaper
10-24-2013, 03:11 PM

This might hurt some of you, but some of you need to grow a pair and take control of your lives.I hate this phrase. Testicles are the most sensitive thing known to man. You want to be tough? Grow a vagina. Those things can take a pounding.

_Q_
10-24-2013, 03:11 PM
I hate this phrase. Testicles are the most sensitive thing known to man. You want to be tough? Grow a vagina. Those things can take a pounding.

touche!

CaptainCrunch
10-24-2013, 03:16 PM
I hate this phrase. Testicles are the most sensitive thing known to man. You want to be tough? Grow a vagina. Those things can take a pounding.

Yes but they're also stretchy

Reaper
10-24-2013, 03:18 PM
Yes but they're also stretchyIf they weren't can you imagine the horror of childbirth? It would be like watching the movie Alien in the deep south...

Hockeyguy15
10-24-2013, 03:28 PM
Or the guys that call their wife their "boss". As in going to Futureshop because said man needs a laptop, after deciding which one he likes, he needs to call "the boss" to confirm that it's ok.

Being harsh again, but life will not get better from here on out if you hand your balls to your woman on a silver platter. Women want to be with real men, real men make decisions.

:rolleyes: Funny, in my marriage I like to get my wifes opinion on stuff because it's half hers. For big purchases yes you should get the other half's opinion.

Granted, anything technological she probably isn't going to be helpful but you get my point.

Rerun
10-24-2013, 03:29 PM
As for going out to a bar with your buddies to drink on a regular basis... I can understand why a wife might not be too happy about it... I certainly wouldn't be happy if my wife did that to me.

However, one thing that has always bugged me about one wife in particular is a former buddy's wife. Before he got married we would regularly play golf together. After he got married, this stopped completely. I would ask and ask and finally he told me that his wife would get upset if he took off for 5 hours on a Saturday or Sunday to play golf as Saturday and Sundays were family time.

Also, any other get-togethers always had to include his wife. It was always the three of us (I was single at the time). I didn't particularly like his wife that much so I just stopped calling him. End of friendship.

Ozy_Flame
10-24-2013, 03:38 PM
As for going out to a bar with your buddies to drink on a regular basis... I can understand why a wife might not be too happy about it... I certainly wouldn't be happy if my wife did that to me.

However, one thing that has always bugged me about one wife in particular is a former buddy's wife. Before he got married we would regularly play golf together. After he got married, this stopped completely. I would ask and ask and finally he told me that his wife would get upset if he took off for 5 hours on a Saturday or Sunday to play golf as Saturday and Sundays were family time.

Also, any other get-togethers always had to include his wife. It was always the three of us (I was single at the time). I didn't particularly like his wife that much so I just stopped calling him. End of friendship.

Blech. Buddy had has man card revoked if that's the case. The sad part is, there are many guys out there with gf's who get upset if he takes five hours to do a round of golf on a Saturday or Sunday. Then they start making you feel guilty by saying some of the following:

You don't want to spend time with me, I know it
There are two days in the week we can hang out (weekends). You're blowing it with your friends
Shouldn't you be doing chores or any other things?
I thought you went out with your friends for beer on Wednesday. Why are you doing this again?
So . . . I'm not included? I'm not mad, I just don't like it (read: MAD)

and so on.

Bill Bumface
10-24-2013, 03:40 PM
:rolleyes: Funny, in my marriage I like to get my wifes opinion on stuff because it's half hers. For big purchases yes you should get the other half's opinion.

Screw that, if she's at the mall buying a coat and some boots and some cotton balls and wooden dowling, I don't expect a call asking me if it's alright to get the brown ones even though they cost $50 more.

She also trusts me to not buy a laptop unless I know we can afford it, and it's actually something I at least sort of need.

If I have to make that call, one of two things has happened:

1) I'm one of those dinks that spends all our money selfishly and leaves us in a rough financial spot where she maybe can't buy the things she wants/needs

2) I've married one of those girls

I bought a car one day without talking to her. She knew I was looking to sell my old one and didn't really care what I got, and trusted us to not put us in financial ruin. In fact, she was pleasantly surprised when she found out it cost $1000 less than the one I sold.

I personally far prefer this model of working things to "having to have a talk" about every frigging purchase. Just don't be jerks to each other and it all works out, with your time, and with your money.

_Q_
10-24-2013, 03:44 PM

Granted, anything technological she probably isn't going to be helpful but you get my point.

Sure, big purchases, like a house or car. But if you need a laptop for work, then you're getting a laptop for work. If it needs to be $1500, not $1000, then it needs to be $1500 and that's what's going to be purchased. You don't need her input on that. If you're married, then you're a responsible adult and you should be able to make your own decisions without it having to be vetoed by your wife because she's "the boss".

Muta
10-24-2013, 03:45 PM
Well lookie here, just got word the wife is taking the kids to the mall to shop and I get the night off. woohoo. Flames game it is.

Tell her not to come back until tomorrow.

PsYcNeT
10-24-2013, 03:47 PM
I dunno, I spend time with the boys, but to be honest I mostly prefer time with my wife, why the hell would I have married her otherwise? She's my goddamn best friend in every way.

As far as spending goes, this is why you have 3 accounts (outside of savings/investments).

House/Collective spending - Mortgage, food, insurance, any home related spending (TVs, stereos, furniture, carpets, upgrades, etc.)

Her spending - Anything she wants to ####ing buy (clothes, shoes, makeup, etc)

My spending - Anything I want to ####ing buy (computer parts, computer parts, computer parts)

At the end of the month, we both put 50% of our earned cash into the collective spending acct, 10% into savings/investments, and 40% goes into our personal spending.

I'm not sure why this is an issue.

rd_aaron
10-24-2013, 03:49 PM
I dunno, I spend time with the boys, but to be honest I mostly prefer time with my wife, why the hell would I have married her otherwise? She's my goddamn best friend in every way.

As far as spending goes, this is why you have 3 accounts (outside of savings/investments).

House/Collective spending - Mortgage, food, insurance, any home related spending (TVs, stereos, furniture, carpets, upgrades, etc.)

Her spending - Anything she wants to ####ing buy (clothes, shoes, makeup, etc)

My spending - Anything I want to ####ing buy (computer parts, computer parts, computer parts)

At the end of the month, we both put 50% of our earned cash into the collective spending acct, 10% into savings/investments, and 40% goes into our personal spending.

I'm not sure why this is an issue.

Agreed on all accounts. This is what we're doing as well.

Bill Bumface
10-24-2013, 03:49 PM
Well lookie here, just got word the wife is taking the kids to the mall to shop and I get the night off. woohoo. Flames game it is.

If only shaw let you upgrade your internet speed just for the day.

GGG
10-24-2013, 04:12 PM

I see this statement as the whiny single guy being lonely. Essentially you are saying My Friend is in a great relationship and chooses to spend time with his wife and/or kids instead of me because he WANTS to. Just because his priorities have changed isn't a negative. And maybe he just blames his wife so he doesn't have to tell you he would rather stay at home then go out.

_Q_
10-24-2013, 04:23 PM
I see this statement as the whiny single guy being lonely. Essentially you are saying My Friend is in a great relationship and chooses to spend time with his wife and/or kids instead of me because he WANTS to. Just because his priorities have changed isn't a negative. And maybe he just blames his wife so he doesn't have to tell you he would rather stay at home then go out.

Nope, I'm not single. My girlfriend just "lets" me go out whenever I want so long as I don't cancel on her last minute.

polak
10-24-2013, 04:27 PM

If dropping your friends is the only solution then you're a bad friend any ways... I mean wanting to hangout with your gf or wife or family is all well and good but if you're no longer going to hangout with your friends at all because of it then don't be shocked when they tell you to go #### yourself if you come to them when you finally need a break from your family or need a friendly favor.

troutman
10-24-2013, 04:30 PM
Boy Dance Party!
http://thumbnail.newsinc.com/25254954.jpg?w=116&h=73&aspect=nostretch

GGG
10-24-2013, 04:46 PM
If dropping your friends is the only solution then you're a bad friend any ways... I mean wanting to hangout with your gf or wife or family is all well and good but if you're no longer going to hangout with your friends at all because of it then don't be shocked when they tell you to go #### yourself if you come to them when you finally need a break from your family or need a friendly favor.

Agreed, but the whole grow a pair and go out with boys mentality is just crap. People tend to do what they want to.

polak
10-24-2013, 04:52 PM
Bros before Hoes.

EverfresH15
10-24-2013, 04:54 PM
Tell her not to come back until tomorrow.

Oh man that comment made my day. Just giggling my of ass of over here.

PsYcNeT
10-24-2013, 05:00 PM
Bros before Hoes.

Best friend before lesser friends.

Bring_Back_Shantz
10-24-2013, 05:02 PM
Screw that, if she's at the mall buying a coat and some boots and some cotton balls and wooden dowling, I don't expect a call asking me if it's alright to get the brown ones even though they cost $50 more.

She also trusts me to not buy a laptop unless I know we can afford it, and it's actually something I at least sort of need.

If I have to make that call, one of two things has happened:

1) I'm one of those dinks that spends all our money selfishly and leaves us in a rough financial spot where she maybe can't buy the things she wants/needs

2) I've married one of those girls

I bought a car one day without talking to her. She knew I was looking to sell my old one and didn't really care what I got, and trusted us to not put us in financial ruin. In fact, she was pleasantly surprised when she found out it cost $1000 less than the one I sold.

I personally far prefer this model of working things to "having to have a talk" about every frigging purchase. Just don't be jerks to each other and it all works out, with your time, and with your money.

I think you know exactly why I thanked this, and that it has absolutely nothing to do with the marital advice.

Cuz
10-24-2013, 05:04 PM
You can tell which guys are married and not in this thread and any guy who says that another should grow a pair is obviously in the later category ;)

I think in any successful marriage, there has to be give and take. Now this does not necessarily have to be a 50/50 split as some personalities are more giving than others, but as long as a couple reaches a balance that both are happy with it is ok. In my marriage, I probably compromise more than my wife, but I am fine with that (happy wife, happy life) and it is not like she doesn't do things that are entirely for me.

As for spending time with the buddies, I don't have any in the city so this isn't an issue. I am more of the introverted, homebody loner type anyways so it doesn't bother me. Frankly, I would rather spend my time with my wife and can do most of the stuff I would with a guy anyways (she's a sporty kinda girl) which is why I married her. If my wife wants to go out with her friends, I have absolutely no problem if she wants to.

When it comes to spending money, my wife and I have the $100 rule. That is, if an item is more than $100, we have to get the other's permission, excluding gifts. Honestly, I cannot recall a time when the other has actually said no, it is just a good way to communicate with each other.

Cuz
10-24-2013, 05:07 PM
Bros before Hoes.

Really, this never should apply to a woman you love...

Dion
10-24-2013, 05:19 PM

Your last sentence should read, find a woman who values her independance and time spent with friends. Worst mistake a person can make is marrying a "cling on" who has to be with you all the time.

ricosuave
10-24-2013, 06:17 PM
I believe it.

Clarkey
10-24-2013, 09:45 PM

Kinky girlfriend you got there bud!

polak
10-24-2013, 11:26 PM
Really, this never should apply to a woman you love...

Yes I know. Just felt that phrase needed to be dropped in this thread.

rubecube
10-24-2013, 11:42 PM
Hi, I'm CP's Resident Commitment-Phobe. You might remember me from such threads as "Why do anniversaries matter?" and posts such as "Screw Sunday dinner with her parents, the football game is on."

Anyways, I fully endorse this study. I also endorse 12-hour football Sundays, and Wednesday night's solo drinkathon. Stay manly!

Jason14h
10-25-2013, 08:58 AM
Hi, I'm CP's Resident Commitment-Phobe. You might remember me from such threads as "Why do anniversaries matter?" and posts such as "Screw Sunday dinner with her parents, the football game is on."

Anyways, I fully endorse this study. I also endorse 12-hour football Sundays, and Wednesday night's solo drinkathon. Stay manly!

There's other people there on Wed! Pheft

Russic
10-25-2013, 10:31 AM
With every decision my wife and I make, we always just think "would this piss me off if it came back the other way?". Going out with the guys once or twice a week? I wouldn't have a problem if my wife left me saddled with the ankle-biters for a couple nights. 3 times a week? I know I would be mildly annoyed, so why would I do it to her? Of course this necessitates marrying somebody that has the same general views on personal time that you do.

We have conversations about spending money on items over $100 not because we love to veto each others fun, but because it just makes good financial sense to be on the same page with where the money is going.

GreenLantern
10-25-2013, 02:13 PM
The money advice is another good one... have to keep that in mind, we are just treading into the joint bank account territory and she is horrible for nickle and dime purchases... 25 here, 45 here, 67 here.. while I am just terrible at spending all my money on booze.

fundmark19
10-25-2013, 02:58 PM
There's other people there on Wed! Pheft

Wednesday Friendsday. Unfortunately none of my friends ever show up. I like to think my kegerator is my friend

calgaryred
10-26-2013, 07:09 AM
In my relationship we see our friends as much as we want, I think once we have kids we maybe more home bodies, but in our relationship theres never been a problem with an attitude if I want to hang with my buds.

SeeGeeWhy
10-26-2013, 08:09 AM
I like how the doctor had to include "things like drinking beer" but threw in "but also try events like team sports!" to try and make himself look legitimate. The study is obviously BS, but you can't tell me that, as social creatures, it is a bad idea for men to go and interact like men every once and a while.

It's important to keep our social skills and emotional IQ sharp, need to practice the ability of building community, male bonds, respect, honour - to have a tribe and also have a place in that tribe.

Not being able to have and maintain friendships in an unbecoming and dangerous trait whether make or female, married or single. We rely on other people when times get yards, and not having those bonds in your life leave you in a risky position. It also feels good to be able to provide for your own friends when they need it.

It would be interesting to see a real study on this. How partaking in the practice would effect brain health, social IQ, testosterone levels, overall health and relationship qualities in other aspects of a man's life.

As for this marriage debate... I think it wise to take care of yourself, so you can take care of your partner and your family. Marriage is a give and take, not a 50/50 - you start keeping score and that's when resentment starts, and that's what kills relationships. Spend time with your friends when you need to, but budget the rest of your time like a responsible and loving man. Don't be a workaholic, don't neglect family time, don't neglect time with your partner, don't neglect self improvement, don't neglect your community, don't forget to surprise the people in your life sometimes - be generous and thoughtful, and equitable to all of those important to you. You lose what you don't tend to properly.

Azure
10-26-2013, 11:31 AM
Seems like a good place to put this.

http://lifehacker.com/7-things-i-wish-i-had-known-before-getting-married-1452066572