PDA

View Full Version : Anyone know of a Company that helps with sponsering a nanny?

albertGQ
10-23-2013, 12:17 PM
Hello CP. I know there are many parents here and some have a nanny for their child care needs. We are thinking of getting a nanny for January but if that is unrealistic, then next September. Wife is starting to take full course loads at school so we need someone to walk and pick up my two boys from school (and pre-school) and watch them until we get home.

We actually have an acquaintance that has referred us a friend of hers. She lives in Israel. Just wondering if anyone knows of a company that offers a service that would help us with the process of sponsoring a nanny from overseas. Nothing too crazy expensive but we would like a good company to do this for us so we know it’s done right.

A different friend of ours referred us to Michelle Gole, who she used years ago and loved. However, it looks like she is no longer in the business as her phone number & email are both disconnected.

Thanks in advance!

AMG_G
10-23-2013, 01:09 PM
Having gone through this a few months ago here is my advice....talk to other nannies they always have a friend who is looking for work. The ones that are already here you know what you are getting because you can interview them. IF you go with an agency you don't know what you get until she gets here. Also, I have had two friends who paid thousands to get them over here but only to have them quit and work for another couple. If they have an open work permit you will pay more than one directly from the Nannyland.

Mine is great, worries addressed:
The need to rush before work to drop off kids
The need to rush after work to pick up kids
The need to burn vacation/flex days to take care of a sick child
The guilt of needing the mother inlaw to look after my kids and her not taking money
The house is always cleaned (negotiated full house cleaning with her)
Kids getting sick all the time at a day care/day home
Laundry it is always washed and folded for everyone in the house

My kids love having her around as well. She actually taught my eldest how to ride a bike and print his first and last name before the start of kindergarten.

We pay ours $2400/month and we do not deduct room and board because we didn't feel the need to nickel and dime her. A happy and content nanny will treat your kids that much better.

albertGQ
10-23-2013, 01:36 PM
Having gone through this a few months ago here is my advice....talk to other nannies they always have a friend who is looking for work. The ones that are already here you know what you are getting because you can interview them. IF you go with an agency you don't know what you get until she gets here. Also, I have had two friends who paid thousands to get them over here but only to have them quit and work for another couple. If they have an open work permit you will pay more than one directly from the Nannyland.

Mine is great, worries addressed:
The need to rush before work to drop off kids
The need to rush after work to pick up kids
The need to burn vacation/flex days to take care of a sick child
The guilt of needing the mother inlaw to look after my kids and her not taking money
The house is always cleaned (negotiated full house cleaning with her)
Kids getting sick all the time at a day care/day home
Laundry it is always washed and folded for everyone in the house

My kids love having her around as well. She actually taught my eldest how to ride a bike and print his first and last name before the start of kindergarten.

We pay ours $2400/month and we do not deduct room and board because we didn't feel the need to nickel and dime her. A happy and content nanny will treat your kids that much better.

Awesome. Thanks for all the info.

Did you have to set up a company and employ her? Do you deduct EI, CPP & income taxes?

killer_carlson
10-23-2013, 02:04 PM
Be real careful with these and be certain to ask your nanny if they had to pay someone for the right to be introduced to you. Under Alberta law (Fair Trade Act and Regs) it is illegal to charge an employee for the introduction. Ask if they had to pay someone in the old country as well - it happens a lot.

That being said, you can find out all you need from the following websites:

Service Canada (the LMO stage - needed prior to the foreign worker submitting their work permit application). Click Live in Caregiver links:

http://www.hrsdc.gc.ca/eng/jobs/foreign_workers/

Citizenship and Immigration Canada:
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/work/caregiver/index.asp

Yes, you will be an employer and will need to do all deductions as would any other employer. you do not need to set up a company.

As stated above, for those with an open work permit, you are likely to have to pay more. For those who are Live In, bear in mind that the hours they work are extremely important to them, so help them track those hours. That is because once they hit a certain number of hours they can apply for their permanent residency. If they work overtime, pay them the overtime they are entitled to. Treat them well and they will treat you very well, in most circumstances.

Most agencies will do their recruiting of nannies already in Canada by advertising on Kjijji, so keep that in mind and consider doing it yourself. Follow the advertising requirements on the Service Canada site.

Final thing, if you are getting an overseas nanny, be certain to watch the timelines for processing. A medical will be required and this can cause the application to take longer than a regular work permit application.

prarieboy
10-23-2013, 02:11 PM
Awesome. Thanks for all the info.

Did you have to set up a company and employ her? Do you deduct EI, CPP & income taxes?

Yes you do. It's really easy to figure out.

There are lots of Nannies currently in Canada. If you look to start the process of bringing one from another country it takes a long time. We did it several years ago when you didn't even need an LMO. I think it would be hard to get a positive LMO for a nanny outside of the country these days as there are qualified people here now.
Our current nanny (who is great!) contacted us after we posted a job on a nanny website. You could try that. There is usually lots that are looking. Hiring locally also gives you the opportunity to meet the nanny in person.

nannyserices.ca
canadiannanny.ca

jolinar of malkshor
10-23-2013, 10:11 PM
You can and should do it yourself. There is a good website that can put you in touch with nannies all around the world. You have to pay for the service however.

http://www.greataupair.com/

It is not hard to get an LMO for a live in nanny as most Canadians don't want to live in the home of their employer and as such there is a very limited supply of Canadians that would actually do that work. Depending on what country you choose to bring your Nanny from you are looking at anywhere from 3 months to 7 months to bring someone over.

To Be Quite Honest
10-23-2013, 10:23 PM
Is there a before and after school program in your neighborhood? Should be around 20$ - 30$ a day. Or it was when I looked after little ones... 10 years agoish... okay a bit longer ago. Okay it was an age ago! but it might cost less and it would only be for the days you need it!

Pilsner12
10-24-2013, 10:41 AM
I have personally never experienced dealing with this but I have had a few friends that did.

The first one went through an agency where they paid money up front and waited about 18 months for the nanny to arrive. They started the process around April of last year and she just arrived 3 weeks ago. They were given numerous dates that she would be here and they kept bumping it up. Not sure why but they were extremely frustrated.

The second one found one who had fulfilled her first contract with a family here already and found it to be a smoother employee/employer relationship allowing for the personal aspect to be easier.

If I were to ever go down this path after hearing both experiences I would go the second route and avoid the agency to avoid paying someone else to basically recruit someone for me. I may be missing something in what they do but have never looked that much into it.