PDA

View Full Version : Help with a broken toilet

Hemi-Cuda
10-18-2013, 07:09 PM
Any plumbers on CP? I have a toilet in my house that recently has become so hard to flush that the plastic bar inside the tank connected to the handle snapped in half. The seal in the tank ball\flapper\whatever is so tight that it takes an incredible amount of force to get it to pop up and actually flush the toilet. Aside from replacing the handle and lever with something more durable (i.e. metal), is there anything I can do to fix the He-Man seal aside from replacing the whole unit?

4X4
10-18-2013, 07:14 PM
Just get a toilet kit from Rona or HD. It's about $20, and you'll replace everything except the actual lever. Don't worry, that arm that broke will be in the kit. And it's easy. All you need is a pair of channel locks and maybe a crescent wrench or something. And a towel.

Rathji
10-18-2013, 08:45 PM
The kit I bought works pretty good, and even if you have no idea how to do it, I doubt it would take more than an hour or so.

If you are going to replace the center piece, you might as well replace it all.

surferguy
10-18-2013, 09:57 PM
what everybody else says, get the kit watch a YouTube clip or two. Charge yourself 800 bucks.

Profit

Hemi-Cuda
10-18-2013, 11:06 PM
Alright, sounds like I'll get to add Toilet Repair to my resume. Except now I really hate the designer of my condo that decided to put an unmovable shelf right above the toilet tank

Jacks
10-19-2013, 12:36 AM
Installing a toilet kit isn't hard at all.
Ks_d00RCu-8

The newer float valves are also easier to adjust, quieter, etc.

After you do one toilet you will probably do the rest of your toilets too.

Rathji
10-19-2013, 01:42 PM
Alright, sounds like I'll get to add Toilet Repair to my resume. Except now I really hate the designer of my condo that decided to put an unmovable shelf right above the toilet tank

I think you need to remove the entire tank to replace every part that comes in a kit, so just pull the tank off, replace the guts, and then reattach it with everything installed.

DuffMan
10-19-2013, 02:07 PM
This has happened to me so often that I bought a hand full of handles last time.

Hemi-Cuda
10-19-2013, 07:38 PM
Surgery on my toilet has been successful. So glad those guides are on Youtube because the instructions that come with those kits are worthless

Hemi-Cuda
10-20-2013, 04:10 PM
Well wouldn't you know, 2nd bathroom toilet handle snapped off. Good thing I bought a second kit in anticipation of such an event. Guessing having both toilets sit for 3 weeks while I was on vacation did them both in. On the plus side I'm getting pretty good at repairing them now, had the second one completely torn apart and all the guts replaced in under an hour

And a word of advice to anyone with Mansfield toilets (pictured below): Buy a repair kit and keep it handy, apparently they're extremely prone to failure from what I've read online. Both of mine were just over 6 years old (condo was brand new when I bought it)

http://www.handyguyspodcast.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/10/toilet_s.jpg

bc-chris
10-20-2013, 04:22 PM
cp you disappoint me... i came into this thread expecting a 'smells like edmonton' comment ...and nothing

:bag:

Rathji
10-20-2013, 07:57 PM
I think that is the same toilet I have in my main level. Had then fail already and the house is about 6 years old as well.

red sky
10-21-2013, 07:53 AM
Well wouldn't you know, 2nd bathroom toilet handle snapped off. Good thing I bought a second kit in anticipation of such an event. Guessing having both toilets sit for 3 weeks while I was on vacation did them both in. On the plus side I'm getting pretty good at repairing them now, had the second one completely torn apart and all the guts replaced in under an hour

And a word of advice to anyone with Mansfield toilets (pictured below): Buy a repair kit and keep it handy, apparently they're extremely prone to failure from what I've read online. Both of mine were just over 6 years old (condo was brand new when I bought it)

http://www.handyguyspodcast.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/10/toilet_s.jpg

It is the rubber washer that starts to wear out that leads to making it almost impossible to flush the toilet without breaking the handle.

the wanderer
10-21-2013, 12:19 PM
I recommend checking for leaks (which can occur if the flapper is slightly off i think). put food colouring /soy sauce into the tank. wait 5 minutes and see if any of the colour has seeped to the bowl.
A toilet leak can be very costly

Hemi-Cuda
10-21-2013, 12:33 PM
I recommend checking for leaks (which can occur if the flapper is slightly off i think). put food colouring /soy sauce into the tank. wait 5 minutes and see if any of the colour has seeped to the bowl.
A toilet leak can be very costly

The kits I bought included a nifty anti-leak feature for the water feed. If water leaks through the flapper without the handle being used, the tank won't refill

stampsx2
05-21-2015, 06:36 PM
Sorry for the bump but not sure where i could ask the cp faithful for help?

Is there such a thing as too much of a drainage loop under a sink. I just had a drain installed and it winds and circles under the sink before it continues on down the house? Is this up to code or does it have to be just one loop? I'm worried about the long term collection of filth from this snake loop. Are there any provincial standards i can look at on some web page?

Are s traps legal in alberta?

Any help is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

puffnstuff
05-21-2015, 06:49 PM
Just one low point is what you should have. So just a single 'U'. Anything else is too much.