PDA

View Full Version : Truck having starting problem

zyzz
10-18-2013, 02:08 PM
I've got a 1994 GMC Sierra 5.7 V8, it's been running great until today I've had issues starting the truck, the lights turn on, the radio turns on when I turn the key but when I go to turn it over nothing happens.

I played around with the shifter (automatic) and when it sat in a different position it started up. But when I tired again 15 minutes later, no luck. Any ideas?

ricosuave
10-18-2013, 02:11 PM
Yes. I had a similar incident with mine about a month ago.

Its one of 3 things.

Starter

Starter relay - do you hear it click (once)?

Shifter selector switch. Unless this is sensing that it is in park, it wont turn over.

Mine was starter.

zyzz
10-18-2013, 02:12 PM
Yes. I had a similar incident with mine about a month ago.

Its one of 2 things.

Starter

Shifter selector switch. Unless this is sensing that it is in park, it wont turn over.

Mine was starter.

How much did it cost to replace your starter? Any idea what the shifter selector shift would cost. There was no ticking sound when I turned the key.

normtwofinger
10-18-2013, 02:37 PM
It's definitely the flux capacitor.

ricosuave
10-18-2013, 02:38 PM
How much did it cost to replace your starter? Any idea what the shifter selector shift would cost. There was no ticking sound when I turned the key.

about 250 for starter and 200 install but mines a 2500hd diesel

could be relay then, look online or in owners manual to see where it is and confirm it first

Canehdianman
10-18-2013, 03:08 PM
torqued out bindle rotor.

(sounds like the starter to me)

jayswin
10-18-2013, 03:25 PM
And let this be a reminder to all guys with trucks. Always start them and let them idle for 45 minutes in front of your house at 6am every morning. This will ensure things like this don't happen. Or at least it must, or else you wouldn't see thousands of Calgarian truck owners doing it every day.

zyzz
10-18-2013, 03:46 PM
It's definitely the flux capacitor.

nvm

ricosuave
10-18-2013, 03:56 PM
If you can get at it, you should be able to short out the starter to confirm whether or not it will engage.

Couldn't tell you how to do that on your truck though...

jayswin
10-18-2013, 04:03 PM
Just a funny FYI, the OP's "nvm" 2 posts up was him asking how much a flux capacitator would cost. :D

Vulcan
10-18-2013, 04:06 PM
If you can get at it, you should be able to short out the starter to confirm whether or not it will engage.

Couldn't tell you how to do that on your truck though...

Be sure to have it in park as you do it, uh this was after I bypassed the shift selector switch.

Flacker
10-18-2013, 04:09 PM
If you giggled the shift lever and it started, I would suspect the shift lever sensor. No park, no start!

ricosuave
10-18-2013, 04:34 PM
^ exactly what happened with mine, but no, it was starter.

Northendzone
10-18-2013, 08:12 PM
does the starter module not also cause this problem?

Get this rig down to your nearest ford dealer and get it traded in for a dependable vehicle.

get this to a mechanic and get the problem diagnosed, rather than taking chances and dropping in parts and see if that solves the problem....

verda13
10-18-2013, 08:37 PM
Be sure to have it in park as you do it, uh this was after I bypassed the shift selector switch.

You could also try to start it in neutral.

Vulcan
10-19-2013, 02:47 AM
You could also try to start it in neutral.

It doesn't matter what gear it's in if you've bypassed the shifter switch. It will start in any gear. I found out this the hard way after crawling under the car and shorting the starter out with a screw driver. The car started and took off down the road.:bag: