PDA

View Full Version : Two Florida girls charged after bullying suicide

Dion
10-16-2013, 05:37 PM
The 14-year-old instigated the bullying after she started dating Rebecca's former boyfriend, Judd said.

The 12-year-old girl was once Rebecca's friend — but the 14-year-old girl turned her against Rebecca.

The girls "repeatedly and maliciously" harassed Rebecca while all three attended Crystal Lake Middle School in Lakeland, investigators said.

"Several students corroborated stories of both girls bullying Sedwick on different occasions, through name-calling, intimidation, threats to beat her up, and at least one actual physical fight," a Sheriff's Office report said.

Rebecca brought it all to an end by jumping to her death from a silo at an abandoned concrete factory on Sept. 10. But even after death, the cruelty didn't cease, family members and investigators say.

"Yes ik (I know) I bullied Rebecca nd she killed her self but IDGAF (I don't give a (expletive)).

That message — posted Saturday on Facebook by Rebecca's 14-year-old persecutor — ended with a heart symbol, and an arrest.

On Monday, Polk County deputies charged the author of the post and a 12-year-old girl with aggravated stalking after they identified them as Rebecca's main tormentors.

The morning Rebecca took her life, she posted a message to a North Carolina boy whom she reportedly met once at the airport: "I'm jumping and I can't take it anymore," the text read.

The boy did not tell anyone his friend was suicidal.

http://www.thespec.com/news-story/4157775-two-florida-girls-charged-after-bullying-suicide/

Regulator75
10-16-2013, 05:47 PM
Maybe Jason Voorhees will avenge her death.

nik-
10-16-2013, 05:48 PM
I wish more kids knew how irrelevant Junior and High School are in life. It's obviously their entire lives at that point, but it's such a short period of your life and the only people who say High School was the best time of their lives are people who accomplish nothing.

Flash Walken
10-16-2013, 06:54 PM
I wish more kids knew how irrelevant Junior and High School are in life. It's obviously their entire lives at that point, but it's such a short period of your life and the only people who say High School was the best time of their lives are people who accomplish nothing.

I used to tell my students that all the time.

Ozy_Flame
10-16-2013, 07:25 PM

Some of the most pressurizing situations you will face in your life is during your junior high years, which, and I'm sure most of us have seen it before with ourselves or others, can lead to decisions that influence the life path you go down on.

nik-
10-16-2013, 07:27 PM
Some of the most pressurizing situations you will face in your life is during your junior high years, which, and I'm sure most of us have seen it before with ourselves or others, can lead to decisions that influence the life path you go down on.

They're the most pressurizing because you have no perspective on life yet. I can't think of anything from my High School or Junior High days that I thought was important which actually turned out to be important. This is where parents and teachers really need to teach their kids young the insignificance of these people's opinions in the grand scheme of life.

missdpuck
10-16-2013, 07:44 PM
I always think of Lakeland as being the only place in Florida that has swans.

This poor girl was one of them . May she rest in peace.

At the moment I use my Facebook jus to promote other people's stuff because I don't really do anything worth posting. One of the things I follow is the Bully Project, and another I can't remember about bullying.

What's sad about some of these idiots is that they never stop. There's tons of stuff about adult bullying, but we all think we should be able to handle it. Don't think you can.

Screw all you goddam bullies.

photon
10-16-2013, 07:57 PM
They're the most pressurizing because you have no perspective on life yet.

That's kind of the point of being a kid, is that's when you go through the process of learning such things. The goal should be to prevent the bullying in the first place and let kids learn these things as they grow up.

Northendzone
10-16-2013, 08:04 PM
On some level I get the bullying because it has been around for ever. What truly disturbs me is the act of posting something negative on a persons FB page after they have committed suicide. What do you gain from doing this when the person has committed suicide.

nik-
10-16-2013, 08:09 PM
That's kind of the point of being a kid, is that's when you go through the process of learning such things. The goal should be to prevent the bullying in the first place and let kids learn these things as they grow up.

I agree, but it's sort of like not teaching kids about using protection during sex because you've asked them to be celibate. You have to provide them the tools to adjust for either circumstance and hopefully some of that is perspective on how little it all really means.

T@T
10-16-2013, 11:26 PM
There seems to be a problem with todays youth, not just the bullying as that's been around for 100's of years but the value of life seems be be gone to these kids.

TurnedTheCorner
10-16-2013, 11:34 PM
You don't bully someone into killing themselves if you're in Florida, you stand your ground and shoot them. Kids these days.

Dion
10-16-2013, 11:37 PM
There seems to be a problem with todays youth, not just the bullying as that's been around for 100's of years but the value of life seems be be gone to these kids.

The value hasn't changed. It's the methods they use now (social media) to bully and for them it's become a much more effective method. As a youth I could leave the school grounds and the bullying against me would stop. Kids and teens can't get away from the bullying today and it's not a surpise to hear about victims comitting suicide.

jd456
10-16-2013, 11:50 PM

Bullying today is different than when I was growing up. I'm in my mid 20s so Facebook wasn't popular until the end of high school for me. Bullying at school was face to face and after a while you learn to avoid them or you throw a few punches back and they back off. Kids these days think life revolves around social media. They can't just avoid bullies online. Sadly, one thing made clear as social media evolves is that people can be pretty ruthless behind a computer screen.

Red John
10-17-2013, 12:15 AM
This may be an extremely naive opinion, but could never understand why bullying victims don't just delete their social media accounts altogether.

It really is possible to still lead a social life without social media. Especially when you see all the same people every day at school.

For example Rehtah Parsons case - she switched schools and even moved cities to "get away from bullies" but stayed on Facebook where they could reach her anyways. It made no sense.

Need to clarify here, NOT the victims fault. Just musing here and wondering why when so much bullying happens online that steps aren't taken to remove that aspect?

Traditional_Ale
10-17-2013, 12:20 AM
This may be an extremely naive opinion, but could never understand why bullying victims don't just delete their social media accounts altogether.

I don't think teenagers understand the concept of "Stockholm Syndrome."

Dion
10-17-2013, 12:27 AM

It really is possible to still lead a social life without social media. Especially when you see all the same people every day at school.

For example Rehtah Parsons case - she switched schools and even moved cities to "get away from bullies" but stayed on Facebook where they could reach her anyways. It made no sense.

Need to clarify here, NOT the victims fault. Just musing here and wondering why when so much bullying happens online that steps aren't taken to remove that aspect?

It's an accepted and well established form of communication with the youth of today. She probably used it to stay in contact with her other friends. In some ways it's an addiction they can't easily walk away from.

Red Slinger
10-17-2013, 12:34 AM
My 15 year old daughter experienced some bullying a few months ago both physical and online via facebook and tumblr. My wife and I addressed this issue with the school, the girl who hit my daughter was suspended and we blocked facebook and tumblr on her computer and changed the passwords to her accounts. My daughter, who was the victim of bullying, still doesn't understand why we removed her access to social media.

Bullying has and always will take place. It's unfortunate but I think that's just how some people are wired. Hell, it happens to some degree on this very website but in very veiled ways. But teenagers brains aren't developed to the point where they can understand all of the consequences of being a bully or being bullied. That's why social media is so hard for them to turn away from and, as a result, so dangerous.

Ultimately, the parents have to play a role in knowing and understanding what our kids are up to and the possible consequences of their activities. It may seem a little 'helicoptery' but I'd rather be an overprotective parent than have one of my children do the unthinkable. I'm not saying that any of the parents could have necessarily done anything to prevent this or similar tragedies, but kids seem to have almost unlimited freedom to do and say almost anything on the internet without consequence.

Traditional_Ale
10-17-2013, 12:36 AM
My 15 year old daughter experienced some bullying a few months ago both physical and online via facebook and tumblr. My wife and I addressed this issue with the school, the girl who hit my daughter was suspended and we blocked facebook and tumblr on her computer and changed the passwords to her accounts. My daughter, who was the victim of bullying, still doesn't understand why we removed her access to social media.

Bullying has and always will take place. It's unfortunate but I think that's just how some people are wired. Hell, it happens to some degree on this very website but in very veiled ways. But teenagers brains aren't developed to the point where they can understand all of the consequences of being a bully or being bullied. That's why social media is so hard for them to turn away from and, as a result, so dangerous.

Ultimately, the parents have to play a role in knowing and understanding what our kids are up to and the possible consequences of their activities. It may seem a little 'helicoptery' but I'd rather be an overprotective parent than have one of my children do the unthinkable. I'm not saying that any of the parents could have necessarily done anything to prevent this or similar tragedies, but kids seem to have almost unlimited freedom to do and say almost anything on the internet without consequence.

Well done, sir.

Rathji
10-17-2013, 06:06 AM
Its stuff like this why I will always have the ability to monitor my kids facebook etc.

GGG
10-17-2013, 06:53 AM
Youth suicide rates have dropped along with all other crime. I think we have better reporting now not increased incidents of bullying. Not saying it isn't an issue but iy certainly isn't a new issue. One thing that worries me is that by reporting every suicide will make it a more acceptable way out.

Nyah
10-17-2013, 07:02 AM
Youth suicide rates have dropped along with all other crime. I think we have better reporting now not increased incidents of bullying. Not saying it isn't an issue but iy certainly isn't a new issue. One thing that worries me is that by reporting every suicide will make it a more acceptable way out.

http://www.who.int/mental_health/prevention/suicide/suicideprevent/en/

In the last 45 years suicide rates have increased by 60% worldwide. Suicide is among the three leading causes of death among those aged 15-44 years in some countries, and the second leading cause of death in the 10-24 years age group; these figures do not include suicide attempts which are up to 20 times more frequent than completed suicide.

Although traditionally suicide rates have been highest among the male elderly, rates among young people have been increasing to such an extent that they are now the group at highest risk in a third of countries, in both developed and developing countries.

GGG
10-17-2013, 07:12 AM
Let me see if I can dig up where I got that info from. I know it discussed under reporting of suivides in the past as well as how suicide rates clump together. So you see communities with double digit rates of suicide and low values elsewhere. It was a real interesting read.

Galakanokis
10-17-2013, 01:43 PM
Bullying and social media are so tough, there are just so many options for the kids these days. If it is not facebook it is twitter or snapchat or ask or...For the second half of grade 12 we made our boy turn over his phone and tablet every night so we could see what apps he was running so we could keep tabs on it. Wasn't so much that he was doing anything wrong per say but I didn't like his and his friends attitudes on there and some very inappropriate things are said and talked about, true or not.

Sure it is easy enough to say just turn it off and don't look at it but those things are still out there whether you read it or not. You are going to school the next day and those things are out there and you damn well better believe you are going to find out about it. Would you rather know before hand or not? Have no idea.

I loathe social media, loathe it. I use it but on my own terms. It is not reality and should not be treated as such. How do you teach teenagers that? Again I have no idea. I just hope that once my youngest hits that age it is a long forgotten way of life and people want to get back to actual interaction.

Teach respect is all I can come up with.

undercoverbrother
10-17-2013, 01:48 PM

You had me up till that point.

Ark2
10-17-2013, 01:56 PM
It's truly sad and my heart goes out to the parents/loved ones, but I really hate the way the media/people in general portray the victims after something like this happens. Think about it: you're an emotionally desperate teen whose life has been made miserable by bullying. By this point, you realize that if you commit suicide in such a manner where it is blamed on the bullying, you'll be elevated to sainthood and the bullies will be vilified by millions. For someone desperate enough, that probably sounds like a pretty satisfying option.

nik-
10-17-2013, 03:48 PM
You had me up till that point.

Maybe "nothing" is a little severe, but if High School truly was the best part of your life, that makes me sad.

Burninator
10-17-2013, 04:22 PM
It's truly sad and my heart goes out to the parents/loved ones, but I really hate the way the media/people in general portray the victims after something like this happens. Think about it: you're an emotionally desperate teen whose life has been made miserable by bullying. By this point, you realize that if you commit suicide in such a manner where it is blamed on the bullying, you'll be elevated to sainthood and the bullies will be vilified by millions. For someone desperate enough, that probably sounds like a pretty satisfying option.Wut? The victims are committing suicide because they probably feel it is the only escape. I highly doubt they are tying to martyr themselves to get back at their bullies.

jayswin
10-17-2013, 09:00 PM
It's truly sad and my heart goes out to the parents/loved ones, but I really hate the way the media/people in general portray the victims after something like this happens. Think about it: you're an emotionally desperate teen whose life has been made miserable by bullying. By this point, you realize that if you commit suicide in such a manner where it is blamed on the bullying, you'll be elevated to sainthood and the bullies will be vilified by millions. For someone desperate enough, that probably sounds like a pretty satisfying option.

http://d22zlbw5ff7yk5.cloudfront.net/images/stash-1-50b582d5c92c8.gif (http://www.google.ca/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&frm=1&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&docid=yJbuHTXXIB8yQM&tbnid=_NzHJSBeZ519OM:&ved=0CAUQjRw&url=http%3A%2F%2Fpandawhale.com%2Fpost%2F9740%2Fjo n-stewart-shakes-head-gif&ei=daRgUr-lFOOYiQKZrYCABQ&bvm=bv.54934254,d.cGE&psig=AFQjCNFdbTTpBQbYf9Wf1GmfsRUv6-q0Bg&ust=1382151654489540)

CaptainCrunch
10-17-2013, 09:05 PM

I think that this is the greatest example of insane troll logic ever.

jayswin
10-17-2013, 09:11 PM
I think that this is the greatest example of insane troll logic ever.

He was one of those posters where you can post a gif of Jon Stewart shaking his head to any of his posts, without reading it, and you'll likely be safe.

Ark2
10-17-2013, 09:22 PM
He was one of those posters where you can post a gif of Jon Stewart shaking his head to any of his posts, without reading it, and you'll likely be safe.

Just my feeling on the matter. Not claiming to be an authority. No need to make it personal.

Cole436
10-17-2013, 10:08 PM

You're talking out of your ass. If you have no idea what the reality of these situations really are, it's best to keep quiet than spread this sort of ignorance.

Ark2
10-18-2013, 09:13 AM
You're talking out of your ass. If you have no idea what the reality of these situations really are, it's best to keep quiet than spread this sort of ignorance.

Why? This is a discussion topic on an internet hockey forum, not a medical advisory committee.

I realize that in these types of threads, you're generally only allowed to anonymously offer condolences to no one in particular, or share your violent revenge fantasies, so I apologize for breaking that narrative. That being said, I don't see what is so outlandish about my opinion. For someone that is the victim of bullying and already has suicidal ideations, knowing how the media will respond to this sort of thing might push them further to follow through with it. That's all that I am suggesting. To assert that this is patently absurd would be to suggest that you understand the mindset of every suicidal person that would fall into these circumstances.

Granted, I understand that once this forum starts piling onto someone that there is no digging yourself out, so cue the face palm gifs and let's just get this over with.