PDA

View Full Version : Hiring an American

undercoverbrother
10-16-2013, 09:45 AM
I am looking at hiring a US citizen.

Does anyone have any experience with this?

Is the process to get him a visa employer or employee driven.

Thanks

Table 5
10-16-2013, 09:47 AM
What's their current visa status? My wife is 'murican, so perhaps I can help.

PIMking
10-16-2013, 09:49 AM
Not all of us are that bad! :)

undercoverbrother
10-16-2013, 09:50 AM
What's their current visa status? My wife is 'murican, so perhaps I can help.

Zip, as far as I know. Although he is up hear working now, but with his US based company, on a temp matter.

I am meeting him in the next 2 weeks and would like to have some answers......

undercoverbrother
10-16-2013, 09:50 AM
Not all of us are that bad! :)

Which means some of you are that bad........;)

PIMking
10-16-2013, 09:51 AM
Which means some of you are that bad........;)

No comment...

DuffMan
10-16-2013, 09:52 AM
I'd find this out first.

1. What are your religious views?
2. What are your political views?
3. What are your gun control views?

nfotiu
10-16-2013, 09:52 AM
I am looking at hiring a US citizen.

Does anyone have any experience with this?

Is the process to get him a visa employer or employee driven.

Thanks

I only have experience with the reverse situation, but I think it is mostly similar.

If they meet the requirements for one of the TN professions, it is a pretty easy process:
http://canada.usembassy.gov/visas/doing-business-in-america/professions-covered-by-nafta.html

Basically, you just write a letter with the job offer, and they show up at the border and get approval for a year.

And then can renew every year in similar fashion.

Not too sure about the more permanent visas.

PIMking
10-16-2013, 09:55 AM
I'd find this out first.

well that isn't legal here in the states to ask those questions...

also if you're asking those questions I would tell you that it's none of your damn business

Table 5
10-16-2013, 09:57 AM
What nfotiu wrote is pretty much what I was going to say. I think the level of hassle for them will depend on what profession they are in, and if they are looking to stay here permanently or not.

undercoverbrother
10-16-2013, 09:59 AM
What nfotiu wrote is pretty much what I was going to say. I think the level of hassle for them will depend on what profession they are in, and if they are looking to stay here permanently or not.

Yeah I went to the Canadian version of that US site and the link to jobs was dead.

I think his end goal is to stay in Canada, I mean who the hell wouldn't want that?

Northendzone
10-16-2013, 10:01 AM
Zip, as far as I know. Although he is up hear working now, but with his US based company, on a temp matter.

I am meeting him in the next 2 weeks and would like to have some answers......

i'd call someone at the Candian Gubment and order Pamphlet 529AJ-OO/LK7 - "So You Want to Hire an American, EH".

PIMking
10-16-2013, 10:05 AM
Yeah I went to the Canadian version of that US site and the link to jobs was dead.

I think his end goal is to stay in Canada, I mean who the hell wouldn't want that?

Canada is a bad ass country, but I don't think I can deal with the cold temps for that long.

nfotiu
10-16-2013, 10:08 AM

The TN visa is very cheap and easy. Probably could do the letter without even hiring a lawyer. It seems you can renew them pretty much indefinitely, but you do have to renew them. If it is like the US, they are not a path to citizenship if that is an issue.

If eligible, start with the TN, and work on the more permanent visa once he's here. Or if he is single, count on him marrying a Canadian after a while.

Temporary_User
10-16-2013, 10:08 AM
I'd find this out first.

3. What are your gun control views?Could you even ask such dumb questions if you were hiring a Canadian?

DuffMan
10-16-2013, 10:10 AM
well that isn't legal here in the states to ask those questions...

also if you're asking those questions I would tell you that it's none of your damn business

Are you busy this Sunday morning? did you want to go golfing? I hear you President likes golfing, I'm not sure where he learned that in Kenya, but whatever.

Have you ever been to Edmonton? they have this big mall, where you can rent semi atuomatic weapons to shoot., in a controlled environment.

Do you have any pitbulls?

nfotiu
10-16-2013, 10:15 AM
I'd find this out first.

Good job in representing your country as the one that is more tolerant, open-minded and devoid of stereotypes.:rolleyes:

PIMking
10-16-2013, 10:17 AM
Are you busy this Sunday morning? did you want to go golfing? I hear you President likes golfing, I'm not sure where he learned that in Kenya, but whatever.

I've been golfin a few times, it's fun and hell yea I would go golfing with the president. I may not agree with him politically, but I think he is a cool guy. I'm not a birther and can care less where he was born since his mother is American that makes him an American

Have you ever been to Edmonton? they have this big mall, where you can rent semi atuomatic weapons to shoot., in a controlled environment.

No I haven't been to Edmonton,

You get to rent semi auto weapons? Wow, that's interesting but what does this have to do with the job?

Do you have any pitbulls?

No I do not own pitbulls, it's not the anima,l it's the owner that is the problem. Again I see nothing that this question has to do with the job I am interviewing for. With that being said I will be sure to refer this to the labour board and let them ask you a few questions..

habernac
10-16-2013, 10:19 AM
Canada is a bad ass country, but I don't think I can deal with the cold temps for that long.

but we rarely get winds that relocate your entire neighbourhood up here

PIMking
10-16-2013, 10:20 AM

relocate? I guess you can call it that.

I had eight years of snow, it was great for the first few months and then it sucked after that.

habernac
10-16-2013, 10:22 AM
In Calgary the Chinooks take care of a lot of that.

TurnedTheCorner
10-16-2013, 10:24 AM
Offer a handgun + ammo as a signing bonus to seal the deal.

fredr123
10-16-2013, 10:43 AM
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/hire/index.asp

Minnie
10-16-2013, 10:54 AM
Duff, apparently you forgot the green ink.

DuffMan
10-16-2013, 10:59 AM
I've been golfin a few times, it's fun and hell yea I would go golfing with the president. I may not agree with him politically, but I think he is a cool guy. I'm not a birther and can care less where he was born since his mother is American that makes him an American

No I haven't been to Edmonton,

You get to rent semi auto weapons? Wow, that's interesting but what does this have to do with the job?

No I do not own pitbulls, it's not the anima,l it's the owner that is the problem. Again I see nothing that this question has to do with the job I am interviewing for. With that being said I will be sure to refer this to the labour board and let them ask you a few questions..

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-MInd6S1vvGI/Tbc3-CfSxRI/AAAAAAAAACc/MsN7NDGcyMw/s1600/Image%252B%2525253D%252BTrump%252BYou%25252527re%2 52Bfired%252BTo%252BBishop%252BNowotnik%252BOf%252 BRye%252BTown.jpg

PIMking
10-16-2013, 11:51 AM
Offer a handgun + ammo as a signing bonus to seal the deal.

.22lr is worth it's weight in gold right now down here

Fusebox
10-16-2013, 10:39 PM

Just the odd flood!

nickerjones
10-16-2013, 10:49 PM
I am an American , in Canada, wanting to work. I can't work until my Permanent Residence Application is processed, accepted, and a visa is issued. When I submitted my application I was told it could take between 2 months and 2 years.

As far as I know, the quickest way I can legally work here before the PR is to find an employer who would be willing to do a Labour Market Opinion. I am not sure what this process consists other than proving that there are no other Canadians that could fill this job and you have to hire an American.

I have talked to a few oil and gas places but most seem turned off by the LMO process. Only 1 or 2 places I have talked to have shown genuine interest in doing it.

Fusebox
10-16-2013, 10:51 PM
I am an American , in Canada, wanting to work. I can't work until my Permanent Residence Application is processed, accepted, and a visa is issued. When I submitted my application I was told it could take between 2 months and 2 years.

As far as I know, the quickest way I can legally work here before the PR is to find an employer who would be willing to do a Labour Market Opinion. I am not sure what this process consists other than proving that there are no other Canadians that could fill this job and you have to hire an American.

I have talked to a few oil and gas places but most seem turned off by the LMO process. Only 1 or 2 places I have talked to have shown genuine interest in doing it.

LMOs are extremely tough to come by these days. I recommend you check out the "Irish in Calgary" page on facebook, there are lots of discussions on how to get an LMO.

nickerjones
10-16-2013, 10:59 PM
LMOs are extremely tough to come by these days. I recommend you check out the "Irish in Calgary" page on facebook, there are lots of discussions on how to get an LMO.

Thanks for the tip. When I crossed the border and they gave me a 1yr Visitor Permit the border agent was telling me how easy it would be to go LMO with my experience. I thought it was funny because I knew it wouldn't be.
All I am doing now is playing hockey ( well attempting to) and mooching off my wife. Just living the dream my friends... living the dream.

Fusebox
10-16-2013, 11:10 PM
It was super easy to get one up until RBC got busted a few months back. You should have seen the reaction from all the people looking to get LMOs to work in Canada on that page. It was heartbreaking to read every day. Apparently it is easy enough to get one if you are willing to work a low paid job like McDonald's or such. Getting a LMO to work as a construction worker, which used to be super easy, is now much more difficult.

killer_carlson
10-16-2013, 11:21 PM
Pm'd

nickerjones
10-21-2013, 10:42 PM
It was super easy to get one up until RBC got busted a few months back. You should have seen the reaction from all the people looking to get LMOs to work in Canada on that page. It was heartbreaking to read every day. Apparently it is easy enough to get one if you are willing to work a low paid job like McDonald's or such. Getting a LMO to work as a construction worker, which used to be super easy, is now much more difficult.

It's also pretty irritating to see people in places like Manilla, Phillipines, etc getting their Permanent Residency Stuff done in under 4 months when they are telling me mine could take up to 2 years. Kind of off-putting to think that even being married to Canadian Citizen for 7 years, here on a visitors permit, I have Alberta Healthcare, I want and am able to work, and I am still being held up for what could be 2 years. Just seems dumb to me.

killer_carlson
10-21-2013, 11:37 PM
There is zero percent chance people in Manila are getting processing in 4 months. Zero. Thry wouldnt even get the medical processed within that time, let alone their PR application.

I hear that crap all the time and when you peel the layers back, it is simply not true. Dont sweat it, and if someone else claims that their buddy got it in 3 months or 4, call them on it.

nickerjones
10-22-2013, 12:37 AM
There is zero percent chance people in Manila are getting processing in 4 months. Zero. Thry wouldnt even get the medical processed within that time, let alone their PR application.

I hear that crap all the time and when you peel the layers back, it is simply not true. Dont sweat it, and if someone else claims that their buddy got it in 3 months or 4, call them on it.

I misread it.. It was New Dehli and Sydney. It's not friends. Its a forum CanadaVisa.com. They run spread sheets, This is June Applicant. Passports requested are the step before the visa comes:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AvI5l_hMO7UKdFN4cXJVOUd1bXB3QlBFNFN6MjBaR 3c#gid=0

Here is may applicants some who have already received their Visas:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AvI5l_hMO7UKdDFkOUhPRi1CTmlEaE9OaUdnY2ZsS 2c#gid=0

HockeyIlliterate
10-22-2013, 09:03 AM

Cross-border tax issues can make it difficult to live in Canada permanently.

It seems to me that the poorer and younger you are, the easier it is to immigrate to Canada. If you have any sort of wealth tied up in the US (long-held taxable investments, retirement accounts, etc), the harder it is to make the move.

It seems you can renew them pretty much indefinitely, but you do have to renew them.

I don't know how correct the "indefinite renewal" is. At the Coutts border, I was told (by CBSA) that even a work permit issued under NAFTA is limited to a 7 year total duration.

Regardless, you still have to plan for Canada's exit tax.

nfotiu
10-22-2013, 09:10 AM
Cross-border tax issues can make it difficult to live in Canada permanently.

It seems to me that the poorer and younger you are, the easier it is to immigrate to Canada. If you have any sort of wealth tied up in the US (long-held taxable investments, retirement accounts, etc), the harder it is to make the move.

I don't know how correct the "indefinite renewal" is. At the Coutts border, I was told (by CBSA) that even a work permit issued under NAFTA is limited to a 7 year total duration.

Regardless, you still have to plan for Canada's exit tax.

I know there are theoretical limits, but doesn't seem like they are followed very closely. I have a friend here who is going on his 10th year of renewals at the same job (that is a Canadian in the US though.), without ever really having any issues.

nfotiu
10-22-2013, 09:11 AM

Your professional doesn't fall under the NAFTA jobs?

nickerjones
10-22-2013, 09:32 AM
Your professional doesn't fall under the NAFTA jobs?

I do not believe it does. I'm a petroleum landman ...which up here is divided into a surface or a mineral landman.

missdpuck
10-22-2013, 07:17 PM
Duffman I thought you were funny.

DuffMan
10-22-2013, 09:10 PM
Duffman I thought you were funny.

hunh? no you have me confused with someone else. I'm serious business.

Wormius
10-22-2013, 09:33 PM
hunh? no you have me confused with someone else. I'm serious business.

You're legally allowed to ask them if they've been to the Stampede. If they get all twitchy and flush in the face, you'll have the answers you seek.