PDA

View Full Version : Superstore Workers to go on strike

Anduril
10-05-2013, 11:16 PM
Didn't even hear about this into I was browsing Reddit. While yes the Westhills one has been a zoo, it's been appropriately so (Holidays, mad dash for bottled water after the flood, etc.)

Will be a shame since it's been relatively good to me.

The Goon
10-06-2013, 07:21 AM
So are the stores closed down or are there scabs working?

You Need a Thneed
10-06-2013, 08:26 AM
I would assume that management will take I we jobs temporarily. The question is will anyone notice the difference. I think management can keep 3/20 cashier tills open at peak times, just like it was before.

Yakbutter
10-06-2013, 08:30 AM
When I was in highschool from 07-09 I worked as a price checker at superstore. I made 8.70 an hour but I paid $35 a paycheck in union dues which made my income less than minimum wage.

Superstore sucks anyways too, meat is terrible quality and the produce tastes like it has been sitting in a freezer for years. And bagging your own groceries is bs.

Table 5
10-06-2013, 08:30 AM
The stores look like the employees have been on strike for years now. Might as well just turn all the tills into self-service.

Slava
10-06-2013, 08:35 AM
The stores look like the employees have been on strike for years now. Might as well just turn all the tills into self-service.

The guys who bag your groceries clearly have been.

Also, hasn't someone figured a better way for this whole checkout process yet? I mean herding your customers through a chute as though your slaughtering cattle is just archaic. Then we take everything out of the cart, and put it back in...so dumb. I'm not smart enough to know what that better way is, but surely there is something?

Super-Rye
10-06-2013, 08:44 AM
The guys who bag your groceries clearly have been.

Also, hasn't someone figured a better way for this whole checkout process yet? I mean herding your customers through a chute as though your slaughtering cattle is just archaic. Then we take everything out of the cart, and put it back in...so dumb. I'm not smart enough to know what that better way is, but surely there is something?

I'm sure there is a better way to do it but they way it is set up now can prevent a lot of theft.

I would think SuperStore will try and get some scrubs in to work. Thanksgiving is coming up and there's a ton of money on the line. Without their current employee's unloading the trucks (which will be packed more than usual) and loading up the shelves SS is probably going to lose a lot of money already. There's no way a group of 9 managers will be able to keep any store running.

TurdFerguson
10-06-2013, 08:45 AM
So I have to physically count my own bags now? Might be the straw that broke the camels back for me.

Table 5
10-06-2013, 08:46 AM

Ideally there would be a reader on your cart/basket, and you would scan it right at the point of pickup. Then it would already know what you have when its time to purchase, so all you have to do is pay for it. Of course this requires a little bit of trusting the consumer...but so does the self-checkout.

CaramonLS
10-06-2013, 09:05 AM
When I was in highschool from 07-09 I worked as a price checker at superstore. I made 8.70 an hour but I paid $35 a paycheck in union dues which made my income less than minimum wage.

Superstore sucks anyways too, meat is terrible quality and the produce tastes like it has been sitting in a freezer for years. And bagging your own groceries is bs.

I'm not completely sure on this for SS's contract, but pretty sure, in your circumstance if you average less than a specific number of hours per week over x period, you can get a % of your dues reimbursed.

Not many people take advantage of this because the union doesn't do it automatically, you have to apply.

CaramonLS
10-06-2013, 09:08 AM
Ideally there would be a reader on your cart/basket, and you would scan it right at the point of pickup. Then it would already know what you have when its time to purchase, so all you have to do is pay for it. Of course this requires a little bit of trusting the consumer...but so does the self-checkout.

Europe is light years ahead of Canada with self scanning and home delivery. The do have RFID tags and a final weigh station at some stores, so you can literally walk through the checkout, have a total, and it will measure the total weight of your cart within an ounce.

No scanning, you just pay and leave.

albertGQ
10-06-2013, 09:33 AM
When do they go on strike? Superstore is the closest grocery store to our house so we'd like to stock up before they strike

justkidding
10-06-2013, 09:37 AM
Too late. Midnight last night.

Slava
10-06-2013, 09:39 AM
Europe is light years ahead of Canada with self scanning and home delivery. The do have RFID tags and a final weigh station at some stores, so you can literally walk through the checkout, have a total, and it will measure the total weight of your cart within an ounce.

No scanning, you just pay and leave.

Any idea why we don't have this here? Seems like a business could increase profit pretty easily by no longer needing all the tills and cashiers?

PsYcNeT
10-06-2013, 09:45 AM
Any idea why we don't have this here? Seems like a business could increase profit pretty easily by no longer needing all the tills and cashiers?

Just like everything else that is behind Europe/Asia here in glorious NA, money (cost of implementation, educating the slow-to-change public, and upkeep).

I mean, it took 10 years for people here to get used to swiping their own debit cards.

Table 5
10-06-2013, 09:46 AM

Because Canada. We're almost always behind on everything when it comes to technology. Cell phone plans, HD coverage, Netflix etc etc...

Yasa
10-06-2013, 09:55 AM
Because Canada. We're almost always behind on everything when it comes to technology. Cell phone plans, HD coverage, Netflix etc etc...

Off topic, but check out mediahint extension for Chrome or Firefox. It allows you to access US Netflix.

Slava
10-06-2013, 10:03 AM
I guess I figured if there were longer term cost savings to be had a business would be all over it. I sure hope we get this soon as standing in line to pay is just irritating.

CaramonLS
10-06-2013, 10:04 AM

Imagine you're the UFCW and Superstore tells you it wants to cut the number of cashiers by 60%. In some area the UFCW has negotiated certain provisions in their contracts to limit labour reduction tactics like this. In BC, some grocery stores cannot introduce counter ready meats (I.E packed and cut at a central facility) without express consent. This would be a massive fight.

Also I don't think it it would increase profits as much as you might think. Europe is a very high volume / daily shopper trend, Canada / US are not as much. In Europe they are more apt to pay prime dollar for easy / quick shops. Also keep in mind it won't reduce labour by a ton - I mean after 6pm, I doubt it would reduce labour at all given how few cashiers stores run with.

System is expensive and overall grocery is a very stagnant industry, it is very reactive to market trends and not proactive here in NA.

Resolute 14
10-06-2013, 11:53 AM
Came in to comment that nobody would notice any difference, see that I've been beaten to it.

Shopping at Superstore is like driving Deerfoot at rush hour. In a blizzard.

bluck
10-06-2013, 11:57 AM
I avoid it like the plague... Safeway on Tuesdays for meat and produce, Sobeys/Coop for everything else.

Yasa
10-06-2013, 12:04 PM
Coop on a weekday morning is like Dawn of the Dead. Slow moving old zombies shuffling around asking for price checks on single bananas.

puckluck2
10-06-2013, 12:33 PM
I haven't stepped foot in a superstore in probably ten years. It is a miracle they haven't shut them down for being so damn dirty. Or at least they were dirty but I doubt anything has changed because one got shutdown not too long ago because of mice infestation.

Handsome B. Wonderful
10-06-2013, 01:03 PM
What to expect in Superstore:
-Gaping holes on the shelves
-Crappy produce
-Lined up tills

But enough about Superstore before the strike.

The Yen Man
10-06-2013, 01:57 PM
As a single guy living by myself, I go wherever the prices are cheapest, and Superstore beats Sobeys/COOP/Safeway hands down. Sure, you sacrifice service quality for the prices, but that stuff's not that important to me. The only time I go to Sobeys / COOP is for convenience. I haven't gone to a Safeway in years.

Regulator75
10-06-2013, 02:27 PM
Are the fully automated SS gas bars closed too?

CRXguy
10-06-2013, 03:16 PM
Filled up at Coventry a couple hours ago. Still open.

sureLoss
10-06-2013, 04:20 PM
No one has brought up pop prices? for shame CP.

Voodooman
10-06-2013, 04:47 PM
No one has brought up pop prices? for shame CP.

I was shocked too. The inevitable pop price reference was the only reason I opened the thread.

I feel as dissatisfied as that time some idiot server forgot my side of ranch dressing

jar_e
10-06-2013, 05:21 PM
Went to the one at 130 Ave SE. No busier than normal on a Sunday and had about 10-12 tills open. No fresh deli or bakery options though.

chummer
10-06-2013, 06:12 PM
Went to the one at 130 Ave SE. No busier than normal on a Sunday and had about 10-12 tills open. No fresh deli or bakery options though.

Surprised you wouldn't support our union brothers and sisters jar_e.

Northendzone
10-06-2013, 07:13 PM
So we will have to nut up and get the mix at the liquor store then?

GP_Matt
10-06-2013, 07:17 PM
Does anyone remember when the Queensland Co-op had scan guns you could use? U
You scanned your card at the start and they gave you a gun to take around the store with you. Then you scanned everything as it went into the basket and handed the gun to the cashier who pulled off your total and you paid without rescanning everything.
It was pretty slick but that is going back to 1998 or so.

SHOGUN
10-06-2013, 09:31 PM
Kind of off topic here.. but does anyone know where to buy the cheapest chicken breast? I find Superstore to be pretty expensive in terms of their poultry.

Dion
10-06-2013, 09:39 PM
I feel sorry for the workers on strike. Superstore has the money to out last the union and will wait until the bills start to accumulate for the strikers and they demand another vote on the offer. Chances are some of the part time staff will have found other work by the time the strike is over or will have crossed the picket line.

The thinking was obviously to go on strike a week before Thanksgiving and try to hurt Superstore money wise. The loss will be miniscule when compared to lost wages of workers on strike. It's a shame the union never tells it's workers the wages lost during a strike are never gained back.

Super-Rye
10-06-2013, 09:48 PM
I feel sorry for the workers on strike. Superstore has the money to out last the union and will wait until the bills start to accumulate for the strikers and they demand another vote on the offer. Chances are some of the part time staff will have found other work by the time the strike is over or will have crossed the picket line.

I haven't seen it first hand but I've heard that the last offer was insultingly low. There are rumours that Superstore is trying to break their union.

Honestly I hope none of that is true.

Dion
10-06-2013, 09:56 PM
I haven't seen it first hand but I've heard that the last offer was insultingly low. There are rumours that Superstore is trying to break their union.

Honestly I hope none of that is true.

The offer is very similar to what other grocery stores have. Large percentage of part time workers vs full time. They want to create a high turnover of staff so no part timer goes up the wage scale. I don't think it's fair to expect part timers to be available for all hours but other chains have the same system.

Superstore can afford to give the union what it wants but at the same time wants to remain in the same competitive enviroment as the other grocery chains in Calgary. All chains are acutely aware of what the other has in place for it's workers.

WilderPegasus
10-06-2013, 10:02 PM
The offer is very similar to what other grocery stores have. Large percentage of part time workers vs full time. They want to create a high turnover of staff so no part timer goes up the wage scale. I don't think it's fair to expect part timers to be available for all hours but other chains have the same system.

Superstore can afford to give the union what it wants but at the same time wants to remain in the same competitive enviroment as the other grocery chains in Calgary. All chains are acutely aware of what the other has in place for it's workers.

Other grocery chains? I doubt you're including Costco in that and that is why I shop at Costco as much as possible.

Dion
10-06-2013, 10:07 PM
Other grocery chains? I doubt you're including Costco in that and that is why I shop at Costco as much as possible.

I avoid Superstore as I find thier stores to be generaly unclean and messy with a lot of empty shelves. Having the product in stock when the consumer needs it has always been a problem. Restocking during the day when needed is not a concept they understand.

Lucifer
10-06-2013, 10:08 PM
I worked at Superstore in electronics, when they had an electornics department, from September 2002 until April 2008. I enjoyed the people I worked with, and overall I liked it.

I kinda miss it. :bag:

BloodFetish
10-06-2013, 10:11 PM
So we will have to nut up and get the mix at the liquor store then?

Don't to that. It's god damned expensive there, let me tell you!

iggy_oi
10-06-2013, 10:13 PM
I think for most of the workers the strike isn't really costing them that much and that is the issue. Superstore/Loblaws likes to point to the hourly wages and say their staff are well paid, but if you're only getting 1 or 2 shifts a week and no benefits because you are considered part time (despite wanting full time hours) it really doesn't matter how much you make per hour.

I've been talking a lot to the people working at the superstore near my house and most of them have been forced to take second jobs anyways due to a lack of hours at the store.

Where the strategy that Loblaws has used to save on costs(basically get 5 employees at a part time rate with no benefits to work 1 eight hour shift each instead of 1 full time worker w/benefits) is going to fail them, is simply that these employees don't need their 1 shift per week but Loblaws needs it's 5 employees covering the 1 full time role. At some point they are not gonna be able to continue covering the 40ish full time roles that the ~200 employees on strike work by using managers from their corporate head office and crackheads from temp agencies.

Dion
10-06-2013, 10:55 PM
I think for most of the workers the strike isn't really costing them that much and that is the issue. Superstore/Loblaws likes to point to the hourly wages and say their staff are well paid, but if you're only getting 1 or 2 shifts a week and no benefits because you are considered part time (despite wanting full time hours) it really doesn't matter how much you make per hour.

I've been talking a lot to the people working at the superstore near my house and most of them have been forced to take second jobs anyways due to a lack of hours at the store.

Where the strategy that Loblaws has used to save on costs(basically get 5 employees at a part time rate with no benefits to work 1 eight hour shift each instead of 1 full time worker w/benefits) is going to fail them, is simply that these employees don't need their 1 shift per week but Loblaws needs it's 5 employees covering the 1 full time role. At some point they are not gonna be able to continue covering the 40ish full time roles that the ~200 employees on strike work by using managers from their corporate head office and crackheads from temp agencies.

You're forgetting that with any strike there are always workers who cross immediately. As the strike goes on more will cross. As for the crackheads comments, it doesn't a lot of brain cells to stock shelves. Pretty simple job that doesn't require a lot of training.

LockedOut
10-07-2013, 05:38 AM
8500 workers across 28 stores sounds way out of whack.

justkidding
10-07-2013, 07:27 AM
Looks like a tentative deal has been reached. The vote will be tomorrow according to Twitter.

The Goon
10-07-2013, 07:37 AM
Memories of Labour Unrest marinade to go on sale Wed.

Regulator75
10-07-2013, 07:43 AM
Was T&T impacted?

albertGQ
10-07-2013, 07:44 AM
I wonder what Loblaws gave in on

iggy_oi
10-07-2013, 07:59 AM
Tentative deal reached, but employees remain on picket lines

http://globalnews.ca/news/885493/alberta-superstore-employees-go-on-strike/

CaramonLS
10-07-2013, 08:00 AM
8500 workers across 28 stores sounds way out of whack.

Average of ~250-300 employees per store is fairly reasonable for a Superstore.

iggy_oi
10-07-2013, 08:00 AM
Was T&T impacted?

No they are not in the same union, if they have one at all. Same goes for no frills, box, real Canadian wholesale club.

Maccalus
10-07-2013, 08:09 AM
Where the strategy that Loblaws has used to save on costs(basically get 5 employees at a part time rate with no benefits to work 1 eight hour shift each instead of 1 full time worker w/benefits) is going to fail them, is simply that these employees don't need their 1 shift per week but Loblaws needs it's 5 employees covering the 1 full time role.

I'm not sure if this is still the case, but when I worked there back from 2003-2007ish the part time workers also got full benefits. To maintain benefits you only had to maintain 10 hours per week. Like I said, it might have changed since then. From what I know this is all about hours anyway. Big grocery stores are definitely known for being stingy on hours.

iggy_oi
10-07-2013, 08:11 AM
I'm not sure if this is still the case, but when I worked there back from 2003-2007ish the part time workers also got full benefits. To maintain benefits you only had to maintain 10 hours per week. Like I said, it might have changed since then. From what I know this is all about hours anyway. Big grocery stores are definitely known for being stingy on hours.

They don't receive benefits

Maccalus
10-07-2013, 08:21 AM
They don't receive benefits

I am going to have to disagree there. Here is their benefits package:

http://www.gounion.ca/benefits/parttime.cfm

and here is their eligibility:
To be eligible for participation in the benefit program you must be employed part-time by Real Canadian Superstores or Liquorstores, and be a Member of the UFCW Local 401. To be eligible for claims reimbursement you must have worked five (5) consecutive months and have worked at least 120 hours in the last twelve (12) consecutive-week period. Coverage, for you, starts the first of the month following the above-noted requirements. Entitlement continues provided you work ten (10) hours per week, or have an average of 120 hours during each twelve (12) consecutive week period.

It appears they have dropped their dental from when I worked there, but they still have benefits for working 10 hrs. per week

iggy_oi
10-07-2013, 09:46 AM
^^ I should have clarified, they aren't guaranteed benefits is what I was trying to say. And if you read it carefully you can see where the problem is, you must work a minimum number of hours per week to maintain the benefits, so ironically if you are sick or injured and can't go into work, you could lose your health care benefits. Most people will look at it and say how hard is it to show up for more then 120 hours in 12 weeks? Well if you are only getting scheduled 10 hours a week, all it takes is one missed shift, which is why the employees want more hours.

CaramonLS
10-07-2013, 09:55 AM
^^ I should have clarified, they aren't guaranteed benefits is what I was trying to say. And if you read it carefully you can see where the problem is, you must work a minimum number of hours per week to maintain the benefits, so ironically if you are sick or injured and can't go into work, you could lose your health care benefits. Most people will look at it and say how hard is it to show up for more then 120 hours in 12 weeks? Well if you are only getting scheduled 10 hours a week, all it takes is one missed shift, which is why the employees want more hours.

For the vast majority of employees this isn't even an issue. Scheduling is largely based on when you are available, so if you are available anytime to work, you will almost always have no issue meeting this minimum requirement. You will not be working FT hours, but I can almost promise you that you will not be scheduled below 10 hours per week, especially if you have any seniority.

If you do restrict yourself, you will have a much harder time meeting this requirement - the biggest issue is evenings/weekends, which a lot of people try to restrict, which puts them much lower in the waterfall of hours. But if you can't work evenings / weekends, then you probably shouldn't be working in Retail, since that is when the majority of shopping is done.

Maccalus
10-07-2013, 10:00 AM
^^ I agree, I never claimed they were guaranteed. I was just arguing that part time employees do get benefits at superstore, unlike many of their competitors (Walmart, etc.). Like I said before, the strike is about hours.

I wish more companies would take the Costco approach and retain a certain percentage of full time, decently paid employees who can maintain a decent level of customer service. The amount of money these companies waste on hiring, training and managing unreliable employees is staggering. I still remember when I was there during the boom and the mess that would happen after the 4-5th cashier wouldn't show up for their shift on a Saturday afternoon.

iggy_oi
10-07-2013, 10:03 AM
I wish more companies would take the Costco approach and retain a certain percentage of full time, decently paid employees who can maintain a decent level of customer service.

I think this is what the workers want

Northendzone
10-07-2013, 10:03 AM
Kind of off topic here.. but does anyone know where to buy the cheapest chicken breast? I find Superstore to be pretty expensive in terms of their poultry.

We usually buy our chicken boobies at m&m's......I offset the cost buy eating and drinking a lot of the samples........

iggy_oi
10-07-2013, 10:14 AM
In response to CaramomLS, the other problem with this requirement is even if your availability is anytime the maximum amount of hours you will get is 28, and at even at that they scatter people's shifts to the point where it's near impossible to work another part time. So while in that situation you can get benefits, I think most people would have a hard time living off 28 hours pay regardless where they work. (Even though everyone on CP makes >$100k/year)

GGG
10-07-2013, 10:16 AM

If you want fresh boneless skinless chicken breasts (Not the frozen and over salted boxes) the best you can do is about 11.00 per kg when it is on sale at the various grocery stores. Each store seems to put it at this price about once a month. Every once in a while I have seen it for 9.90/kg but that is rare.

So what I do is stock up when its on sale and freeze it in small portion sizes. So just check the fliers each week and buy from whoever has it on sale.

CaramonLS
10-07-2013, 10:16 AM
I think this is what the workers want

Then they should attend meetings and get the Union to ask for FT/PT ratios to be placed in their contracts.

CaramonLS
10-07-2013, 10:21 AM
In response to CaramomLS, the other problem with this requirement is even if your availability is anytime the maximum amount of hours you will get is 28, and at even at that they scatter people's shifts to the point where it's near impossible to work another part time. So while in that situation you can get benefits, I think most people would have a hard time living off 28 hours pay regardless where they work. (Even though everyone on CP makes >$100k/year)

It isn't ideal, but most stores will offer the chance to take call in shifts. An employee who takes call in shifts can easily get themselves another 5-6 hours on their average.

iggy_oi
10-07-2013, 10:35 AM
Then they should attend meetings and get the Union to ask for FT/PT ratios to be placed in their contracts.

I actually brought that up with a few of the workers at the store near my house, apparently Loblaws wants nothing to do with that. All these issues are always part of a bigger picture in collective bargaining.

As for your next post about waiting by the phone to be called in to work, that's what the workers are also fed up with, having to be so desperate for hours that you have to plan to always be ready for work. I don't think anyone would want to live like that when you could just be scheduled full time, most of these part timers want full time, but Loblaws doesn't want to guarantee benefits.

Dion
10-07-2013, 10:48 AM
The new agreement will present employees with a number of significant improvements over and above the company’s last offer. We strongly believe that these improvements will bring new hope to employment at Superstores & Liquorstores.

It is crystal clear that the threat of a strike had some impact on Loblaw’s approach to negotiations. But the difference was made when employees walked off the job. Enthusiasm and solidarity of picketers finally got Galen Weston to understand the need for a greater balance in workplace relations. Customer support was overwhelming.

Union leaders will now be very busy making arrangements for special ratification meetings and votes. We will let you know as soon as we can regarding our plans.

Sincerely,

Your bargaining committee

https://www.facebook.com/UFCW401/posts/525884510830037

CaramonLS
10-07-2013, 10:58 AM
I actually brought that up with a few of the workers at the store near my house, apparently Loblaws wants nothing to do with that. All these issues are always part of a bigger picture in collective bargaining.

As for your next post about waiting by the phone to be called in to work, that's what the workers are also fed up with, having to be so desperate for hours that you have to plan to always be ready for work. I don't think anyone would want to live like that when you could just be scheduled full time, most of these part timers want full time, but Loblaws doesn't want to guarantee benefits.

I'm not sure if I agree with that.

A couple of things - the people typically most heavily represented on the union side are the most senior employees. They are typically the loudest and the Union Reps at SS have known them the longest. They are FT and have usually topped out on the scale. The contract prior to this one was 80cents/80cents/80cents IIRC per year increases to those employees, while securing little in the way of benefits. I can tell you that securing non-monetary benifits was not as much of an interest to them as you might seem to think. The #1 concern of the Union was securing money for their longest term employees.

Over the last couple collective agreements there has been a willingness to sacrafice the PT employees in barginning in exchange for FT and top end wage increases. This is largely because they aren't as active with the union as the more senior employees.

Those FT positions cost the money, roughly 20-30% more and if you're the company, you will try to keep those costs down, especially in an increasingly competitive environment. The union has done everything they can in their previous contracts to raise the average cost of a FT long term employee - so they should not be too surprised when the company wants to minimize those.

In a lot of ways they are trying to make changes to the foundation of the house that they already built.

Diemenz
10-07-2013, 11:18 AM
If you want fresh boneless skinless chicken breasts (Not the frozen and over salted boxes) the best you can do is about 11.00 per kg when it is on sale at the various grocery stores. Each store seems to put it at this price about once a month. Every once in a while I have seen it for 9.90/kg but that is rare.

So what I do is stock up when its on sale and freeze it in small portion sizes. So just check the fliers each week and buy from whoever has it on sale.

My Contribution to the off-topic talk:
Most frozen chicken breasts are flash frozen which is considerably better then the slow freeze process you get at home.

I buy the boxed frozen chicken breasts and rinse them off once thawed, the salt comes from the solution they put on them to prevent them from sticking to one another during the freezing process. It washes off and your good to go :). Just don't buy the bargain basement ones and your good to go, M&M chicken breasts have never steered me wrong.