PDA

View Full Version : Renting a venue for a small party

polak
10-03-2013, 07:09 PM
Just wondering if anyone has any experience/advice on renting a small venue for a party?

Party would probably be around 30 people and preferably at a place that doesn't really care about curfews or people pouring their own liquor. What are the chances of finding a place like that and what would a venue like that cost? We don't want food or any service besides clean up really.

What do you guys think?

killer_carlson
10-03-2013, 07:29 PM
Rugby clubhouse

You will want insurance though wherever you end up

TheSutterDynasty
10-03-2013, 07:32 PM
I am well aware of the benefits of starting to save for retirement at an early age but right now, I have more urgent priorities and very little expendable income for (extremely) long term investments.

It's a sizeable amount. Easily the difference between me living in a freaking basement suite and a normal one bedroom apartment.

Hmm...

Nyah
10-03-2013, 07:39 PM
Are you thinking in Calgary? Do some searches around you for a community centre. They're usually pretty easy going. At least in my experiences with friends weddings & such they are.

Sliver
10-03-2013, 08:32 PM
Call a bar and tell them you'll bring 30 of your closest friends if they give you insane deals on drinks. I've done that twice. Once at some bar in North Hill Mall like 15 years ago and once at Loco Lou's when they gave us the upstairs (10 years ago on that one). Point is, you won't be pouring your own drinks, but you'll get a discount and you won't have to pay anything for the venue and insurance so it could be a wash. Plus it's way less hassle. At the North Hill bar I even brought my own music that they played all night. Any bar owner is going to jump at this opportunity and bend over backwards for you.

MrMastodonFarm
10-03-2013, 08:33 PM
Yeah, check out your local community center. Those things seems to be a free for all.

polak
10-03-2013, 08:36 PM
I'm not the one forking up the cash genius, and even if I was who is to say what this is for? What if it was something I've been planning for ages and had money saved up? Obviously, since I'm making this thread, that's not the case but It's odd how well you guys remember every shred of my post history.

I looked at some Community Centers in the area as well as Cultural Centers. Looked like $500 minimum for the night. Is that about the going rate I can expect? Not having a bartender or a curfew are to major sticking points at a lot of these places just at a glance, but I guess they might not be all that strict?

I know I went to a New Years party at a community center and it was a free for all. A similar situation would be ideal but that place is out of the price range.

polak
10-03-2013, 08:38 PM
Call a bar and tell them you'll bring 30 of your closest friends if they give you insane deals on drinks. I've done that twice. Once at some bar in North Hill Mall like 15 years ago and once at Loco Lou's when they gave us the upstairs (10 years ago on that one). Point is, you won't be pouring your own drinks, but you'll get a discount and you won't have to pay anything for the venue and insurance so it could be a wash. Plus it's way less hassle. At the North Hill bar I even brought my own music that they played all night. Any bar owner is going to jump at this opportunity and bend over backwards for you.

That sounds like a good idea. Except this is a birthday and it would be on a weekend that would not have very many empty bars in the city. Might give it a shot though.

KTrain
10-03-2013, 08:43 PM
$500 is going to be the going rate for smaller community centres on Fridays and Saturdays. It's cheaper other nights.

You're not going to find any place that doesn't have a curfew. Especially with liquor laws.

Most community centres require you have a liquor license even if you're not selling. Most don't require a bartender though. Licenses are $25-$30 and are easy to get at most liquor stores.

Minnie
10-03-2013, 08:47 PM
Give those Freemen on the Land up in Grande Prairie a little cash and have it at that cabin.

polak
10-03-2013, 08:50 PM
$500 is going to be the going rate for smaller community centres on Fridays and Saturdays. It's cheaper other nights.

You're not going to find any place that doesn't have a curfew. Especially with liquor laws.

Most community centres require you have a liquor license even if you're not selling. Most don't require a bartender though. Licenses are $25-$30 and are easy to get at most liquor stores.

Yeah that really sucks but I guess if there's no other choices. I know a couple places run by family friends that wouldn't enforce the curfew but they're out of the budget even with a discount.

Yeah I've dealt with liquor licenses before, no biggie.

polak
10-03-2013, 08:55 PM
Give those Freemen on the Land up in Grande Prairie a little cash and have it at that cabin.

Maybe I'll just set up shop at a framed house that's under construction.

Minnie
10-03-2013, 09:02 PM
There you go. ;)

Northendzone
10-03-2013, 10:00 PM
Two words.....bush party

GP_Matt
10-03-2013, 10:10 PM
We rent a hall in GP every year so the location won't help but we rent it from the Norwegian society so you might want to look at groups like that. I think groups like Rotary and such also rent halls.
If you get a liquor permit though it will state that last call has to be 2 and all liquor must be out by 3. I think the permits are filed with the police though and they can check that you are following the rules.
I don't know what happens if you don't get a permit though. Another option is a hotel suite.

Guest1
10-03-2013, 10:21 PM
How rowdy are you going to be? Presidential suite at Eau Claire Sheraton?

polak
10-03-2013, 10:33 PM
Yeah I looked at the polish cultural center and the Croatian one. About the same. Getting a ballin' suite would be epic but I doubt its in the budget. Also hiw loud could you be?

EDIT: Hah yeah. The cheapest suite at the hyatt is 3 times our budget that night and is just a bedroom with a living room.