PDA

View Full Version : E-cig ettiquete

taco.vidal
10-03-2013, 08:16 AM
I had been seeing more and more people using these in Calgary but having travelled a lot recently, e-cigs seem to have grown quicker in popularity in other areas. I expect we'll see a lot more people using them in Canada and here in Calgary.

Whats your thought on ettiquette on using these in indoor spaces? Ive seen people using them in more open spaces like malls but then also closer confines such as restaurants and transit.
Users argue that its simply water vapour. If you've ever been close to someone vaping, you can clearly smell a distinguishable odour which isnt necessarily terrible but isn't pleasant. Theres also nicotine in the vapour and possibly chemicals.

Thoughts? Go ahead and ecig anywhere? Go outside?

Ive heard people argue they like the ecigs because they can use them in their office and dont need to go outside for a smoke break. Ive also seen two seperate instances of people using on an airplane but trying to do so discretly.

Chingas
10-03-2013, 08:19 AM
Non-smoker here. I say go ahead and do it anywhere.

Sliver
10-03-2013, 08:25 AM
Non-smoker here. I say go ahead and do it anywhere.

Yeah, it doesn't bother me, either. Non-smoker as well.

calumniate
10-03-2013, 08:29 AM
They're banned on airplanes now, and I can see why.don't want to see any sign of 'smoke' / vapour on a plane.

I try to be as courteous as possible, so i often go outside to let the big clouds out. If I am indoors I'll do a double inhale, so no visible vapour comes out. There are some stats that exhaled ecigs have little to no nicotine, and at the root its just vegetable glycerine or glycol. Not sure if that puts you at ease. I don't really like the fact that some ecig users flaunt it in public spaces.. could very well ruin a good thing!

PsYcNeT
10-03-2013, 08:34 AM
I was allowing my employees to use them in the office for a few years, but a higher authority cracked down on them 3 months ago. Personally, I can't smell a thing, and while they look "alarming", they really are water vapor and 90+% of any chemicals inside them are absorbed by the lungs of the user.

Really a non-issue IMO.

DownhillGoat
I had a person using one beside me on a flight back from Alaska. It was an unpleasant 4 hours. While it's nowhere near as bad as an actual cigarette, it was on par with sitting beside someone who bathed in Aqua Velva. Come to think of it, it reminded me of the scent of undiluted glycol. (edit - looks like calumiate touched on that point - makes more sense now!)

Malls, larger areas, fine. but I'd vote no to cubicles, airlines or generally enclosed public spaces. Same deal with heavy cologne in an office, or spraying half a bottle of Axe on you before work IMO.

Come to think of it, one airline I take frequently actually mentions that e-cigs are prohibited.

Misterpants
No issue either. There's a dude who smokes them in our office and the only comment I have is whenever I walk by him and he's huffing away, I am reminded of the worm from Alice in Wonderland. Looks kinda silly, but whatevs.

First Lady
10-03-2013, 08:35 AM
Theres also nicotine in the vapour and possibly chemicals.

Not necessarily. I think these are the big sellers right now...http://jasperandjasper.ca/ - they are nicotine free.

calumniate
10-03-2013, 08:39 AM
There are also some hand creams that fill up a room much worse than some of the strongest ecig flavours. Just sayin' :)

Table 5
10-03-2013, 08:49 AM
So if it's all water vapor and there's no nicotine, what's the point of these?

Displaced Flames fan
10-03-2013, 08:55 AM
Anyone experience any issues with water/moisture in the lungs from heavy use? Since they came on the market it is a question I've had in my head about the long term effects. Maybe one becomes more prone to pneumonia as well?

Just curious as a non-user. Certainly much less offensive then cigarettes.

AC
10-03-2013, 09:00 AM
It's a myth that e-cigarettes "just emit water vapour", they still emit the same harmful substances (including carcinogens), just in smaller amounts.

http://www.gmanetwork.com/news/story/314896/lifestyle/healthandwellness/fda-second-hand-smoke-from-e-cigarettes-may-be-harmful-to-your-health
The FDA also cited a German publication on electronic cigarettes showing:

besides glycol, the main ingredient, nicotine, flavors, tobacco-specific nitrosamines, volatile organic compounds, acetone, form aldehyde, acetaldehyde, benzo(a)pyrene as well as silicate and various metal particles are present
the particle size is between 100 and 600 nanometers, which is comparable to the particle size found in tobacco smoke of conventional cigarettes.

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2013/09/130916-electronic-cigarettes-smoking-nicotine-science/
"Whereas e-cigarettes are less dangerous than regular cigarettes, in an absolute sense they are negative," because they contain a number of toxic chemicals and ultrafine particles in addition to nicotine, and secondhand e-cig vapor could be harmful.

chalms04
10-03-2013, 09:03 AM
My staff can smoke them inside, however it must still be on their scheduled breaks.

Reaper
10-03-2013, 09:09 AM
But it is not just water vapour that e cigs emit. The vapour is comprised of propylene glycol, vegetable glycerine, flavouring agents and nicotine. I don't care too much about these things because they are less offensive than carbon monoxide and smoke but I hate it when the users claim it is just water vapour.
One time on an elevator while I was in the U.S. someone whipped out an e cig and started going to town and several people gave him the stink eye. He exclaimed "it's just water vapor!" One dude mustered up the nastiest fart and proclaimed that "there's no reason why one person should be exempt from being offended by the smell of the elevator." Everyone plugged their nose but one of the other occupants of the elevator gave the fartist a high five. Thankfully I was off the elevator in a floor or two because the dude was clearly eating a diet high in garlic.

AC
10-03-2013, 09:12 AM
Honestly, I'm in the "I don't really care" category in regards to their use. But there's a certain smugness that goes along with someone using an e-cigarette that I really loathe.

psicodude
10-03-2013, 09:30 AM
I was in Dallas last week and attended a house party that had several people using these devices. I asked a guy straight up what the point was, and I was surprised to learn that he had successfully used the vaporizer as an aid to quit smoking. He told me that he could specifically control the amount of nicotine in the vapor when he ordered his refills and just cut back by a few percent every 2 weeks. Just like the patch, he was able to taper off the nicotine levels in a controlled and painless fashion. I then said, cool, but why are you still using it then? He claimed that he still enjoyed the "practice" or ritual of smoking. He just felt more comfortable talking to people when he had something in his hand to fiddle with. I am pretty sure what he meant to say was that he felt cooler while using it. :)

I would also say I am in the "I don't care" camp as I couldn't smell anything. There are dozens of flavours to choose from, so maybe certain ones smell worse than others? I bet it would get quite humid in a room if enough people were using them though.

FlamesAddiction
10-03-2013, 09:30 AM
I don't think I have ever been around anyone using them, but I see them in stores everywhere.

With that in mind, my first thought was whatever.. if it makes the population healthier, then let them do it. But then I started to think that maybe more people will pick up this habit if it becomes socially normal, and even if it is less harmful than smoking, more people doing it would be more harmful to the population as a whole.

Hatter
10-03-2013, 09:46 AM
I use an e-cig with nicotine, and it really helped me quit smoking. I wen't from a pack of darts a day to 0 the moment my rig arrived in the mail. I've had the odd smoke since while I'm drinking, but they really don't taste good anymore.

I use it indoors at bars and such all the time, and nobody has ever hassled me before. I've seen people that are all ######y about it and blow huge clouds of vapour everywhere, but I'd say they are the minority.

SportsJunky
10-03-2013, 09:57 AM
I don't have a problem with it and I'm a former smoker.

I do have to get used to seeing them though. We had a kids birthday party at our house and I saw one of the moms dragging on one of these things. I honestly didn't smell anything at all but the vapour looked so much like smoke I was thinking "Is someone lighting up a smoke in my home?"

Bobblehead
10-03-2013, 10:33 AM
So of the concerns I've read is there is no regulation on what is used for the vapor. Some dude could be it in his garage using aqua velva to fill it.

The other thing is the rechargable ones don't have the electronics to stop charging when full (like phones do) so they have caused fires.
Mike Swafford bought E-Cig Clubhouse in Ham Lake, Minn. six months ago.

"I hear about it two or three times a week," Swafford said. "There's a lot of inferior products out there."

As far as he knows, Swafford has never sold a faulty e-cig. He said the problem with Chris Leslie's e-cig comes from the battery, which doesn't have overcharge protection
http://www.myfoxtwincities.com/story/23584719/minnesota-e-cig-explosion-charging

Flash Walken
10-03-2013, 10:49 AM
I think the etiquette should be to smoke them in designated smoking areas.

Rjcsjc62
10-03-2013, 11:39 AM
Our office is a couple of whisky tumblers away from looking like a scene out of Mad Men. Everybody is blowing these things everywhere and I dont detect a thing. I just think its funny when you see somebody down the hall making photo copies while puffing out smoke.

Superflyer
10-03-2013, 11:50 AM
I have been around a few and like others have said, if it wasn't for the smoke\vapor I would not know they were smoking. My suggestion on etiquette would be to go ahead and use them but not in enclosed spaces like elevators, airplanes, and such until it becomes more the norm. Once people get used to it then go ahead but until then not in groups of people.
Just my 2 cents

Russic
10-03-2013, 11:56 AM
So if it's all water vapor and there's no nicotine, what's the point of these?

In addition to what others have said about nicotine levels being moderated to control smoking, it can also help with the psychological issues smokers run into when they're trying to quit. For many the act of lighting a cigarette and going through the motions is a big part of the addiction. Being able to satisfy those lesser cravings in a safe manner is a big deal.

Mazrim
10-03-2013, 12:42 PM
I have been around a few and like others have said, if it wasn't for the smoke\vapor I would not know they were smoking. My suggestion on etiquette would be to go ahead and use them but not in enclosed spaces like elevators, airplanes, and such until it becomes more the norm. Once people get used to it then go ahead but until then not in groups of people.
Just my 2 cents
I hope they never allow them on Airplanes...there's already enough stale air on an airplane, no need to add whatever else those things emit to the mix.

Northendzone
10-03-2013, 12:46 PM
if an e-cig user does not mind me dispelling bodily gasses and whatnot, then they can e-cig anywhere they want

Nage Waza
10-03-2013, 12:51 PM
As long as the exhaust can be inhaled by anyone besides the user, than they should be banned from public places. From what I understand, there is little if any regulation.

The product may help quitting smoking, but they likely bring their own issues along.

Locke
10-03-2013, 12:57 PM
As long as the exhaust can be inhaled by anyone besides the user, than they should be banned from public places. From what I understand, there is little if any regulation.

The product may help quitting smoking, but they likely bring their own issues along.

I concur. When anyone can put anything in them I wouldnt want to be breathing in God only knows what.

Bobblehead
10-03-2013, 01:06 PM

It is being sold as a smoking cessation product, but if people can use them anywhere won't it just help people maintain their habit by letting them continue their nicotine habit anywhere?

If the person wants to quit then I can see how this may help, but for those that don't can't they simply get this to let them get their hit whenever they can't light up?

Swarly
10-03-2013, 01:09 PM
Theres also nicotine in the vapour and possibly chemicals.

Not necessarily. I think these are the big sellers right now...http://jasperandjasper.ca/ - they are nicotine free.

If you buy it in Canada it has no nicotine in them as it is a controlled substance, pointless I think. When I looked into getting my e-cig I ordered from the states to get the nicotine, just have to accept that getting your order seized at the border is possible (make many small orders so one seizure isn't setting you back too much $$).

I vote smoke these puppies anywhere, no noticeable smell from the one I use, other than if it's flavoured which is no worse than somewhere chewing mint gum.

Handsome B. Wonderful
10-03-2013, 01:10 PM
I say we treat the users like regular smokers: ostracize them while wishing we could kill them.

Swarly
10-03-2013, 01:11 PM
It is being sold as a smoking cessation product, but if people can use them anywhere won't it just help people maintain their habit by letting them continue their nicotine habit anywhere?

If the person wants to quit then I can see how this may help, but for those that don't can't they simply get this to let them get their hit whenever they can't light up?

I bought mine to quit smoking not stop getting nicotine, none of the smoke that is bad for you same great nicotine.

Zevo
10-03-2013, 01:14 PM
I bought mine to quit meth.

__MyNs1PLaM

dissentowner
10-03-2013, 02:46 PM

I think you should not be allowed to drive a car then. I should not have to breathe in the fumes from your car that are far worse than some guys e-cig. See, I can make a ridiculous coment too. There is nothing that is going to hurt you from an e-cig.

Teh_Bandwagoner
10-03-2013, 03:07 PM
I think you should not be allowed to drive a car then. I should not have to breathe in the fumes from your car that are far worse than some guys e-cig. See, I can make a ridiculous coment too. There is nothing that is going to hurt you from an e-cig.

I read some articles from Huffington Post and the like that had me concerned about the toxins in the vapor, but this article from ACSH does make me feel a bit better about it.

http://acsh.org/2013/08/new-study-finds-no-health-concerns-in-e-cig-vapor/

dissentowner
10-03-2013, 03:16 PM
I read some articles from Huffington Post and the like that had me concerned about the toxins in the vapor, but this article from ACSH does make me feel a bit better about it.

http://acsh.org/2013/08/new-study-finds-no-health-concerns-in-e-cig-vapor/
A an ex smoker I can appreciate how hard it is for smokers to give up the habit, it is a huge addiction. It just seems like those posts above are not so much about the effects of an e-cig as much as the hatred toward smokers. Nobody should have to breathe in cigarette smoke but the vapour doesn't even last, it just dissapates. I think it is more of a I don't use an e-cig so why should you get to thing.

Flames Draft Watcher
10-04-2013, 12:27 PM
I've seen people smoking them at a nice restaurant and it looked douchy to me.

Ozy_Flame
10-04-2013, 12:47 PM

When I'm walking by a street meat cart and there's a fresh hot dog with steam coming off of it, and I can smell it, I think it should be banned. I consider that exhaust, and I'm offended because I'm not user of the hot dog and I'm getting a whiff. :rolleyes:

There are far worse things out there to breathe in. Think about all the airborne crap in a busy pub. Just because you can see it doesn't make it the worst thing out there.

calumniate
10-04-2013, 02:09 PM
Interesting read on an ex American Lung Association president joining the electronic cigarette industry group (can you guess the acronym.. ECIG)

http://www.usnews.com/news/articles/2013/09/27/american-lung-association-electronic-cigarettes-regulation

I know this is somewhat off-topic from the 'etiquette' portion of the thread, but I hope that some non-smokers see the optics of the fact that e-cig users were once smokers, and that many lives are likely being saved here.

EYE_Overstand
10-04-2013, 02:48 PM
The guy in front of me at Yankee stadium was "smoking" one of them and it got so annoying. The puffs he'd do would compare to one from a hookah pipe so every now and again it would block my view of the field ... Besides that... Whatever

Nage Waza
10-04-2013, 03:12 PM

I actually drive an electric car, so stay away from the coal fired gen plant. True story.

And yes, there are probably bad things in an Ecig exhaust.

Nage Waza
10-04-2013, 03:16 PM
A an ex smoker I can appreciate how hard it is for smokers to give up the habit, it is a huge addiction. It just seems like those posts above are not so much about the effects of an e-cig as much as the hatred toward smokers. Nobody should have to breathe in cigarette smoke but the vapour doesn't even last, it just dissapates. I think it is more of a I don't use an e-cig so why should you get to thing.

If the vapour just dissipates, where do you think it goes?

I think this is more of a I don't want to breath in anything that is associated with the smoking industry type thing, thank you very much.

terminator
01-13-2014, 11:32 AM
So where do you guys buy your ecigs from? I'm hoping to get on the boat today.

CaptainYooh
01-13-2014, 12:00 PM
It's simply amazing to me how quickly and aggressively Canadian general public is willing to demand and implement bans of personal freedoms. Anything we don't like, we want to ban and, what's more, we feel absolutely righteous to do so. We used to be a nation admired for its fairness and tolerance. Whatever happened to the fundamentally right "live and let live" principle?

I don't smoke cigarettes nor e-cigs and I don't find their smell particularly pleasant. However; I might have a say in my own private home or private office (if I own it) about their use or no use; but I am willing to tolerate it in a public space, because I do not have that right. People that want to enjoy their cigarette or e-cig have the same rights as I do to enjoy the public space, because they also own it. I don't buy crap about negatively affecting other people's rights to enjoy that public space. It's irrelevant. I suffer when people use strong perfumes or emit strong body odour, as it gives me migraines; but it is not my right to demand they don't. Hence; I need to adjust. Same with firepits, smoking in public spaces, loud music, mandatory wearing bike helmets, junk food etc. When the state intrudes too much into personal liberties it makes the society worse, not better, even when the intentions are good.

Buff
01-13-2014, 01:34 PM
It's simply amazing to me how quickly and aggressively Canadian general public is willing to demand and implement bans of personal freedoms. Anything we don't like, we want to ban and, what's more, we feel absolutely righteous to do so. We used to be a nation admired for its fairness and tolerance. Whatever happened to the fundamentally right "live and let live" principle?

I disagree with everything you say (the quoted part)

Mods, ban this guy.

ranchlandsselling
01-13-2014, 01:49 PM
Until it's proven to be of no detriment to anyone's health these should not be allowed in enclosed public places. Sorry, don't trust smokers or the industry.

jammies
01-13-2014, 02:03 PM

I agree, except for chicks weight-lifting or playing hockey. That crap is taking personal freedom too far.

calumniate
01-13-2014, 02:11 PM
Well on the good side of things - if e-cig etiquette is one of the top things on your mind these days, your life is pretty 'frickin' rosy

Diemenz
01-13-2014, 04:05 PM
Just a though on these.

Bought my dad a high quality Vaporizer (like a ecig but not a piece of crap) in August of last year. Quick background : my dad is 65 and has smoked since he was 16. Since August he has not had a single smoke, not one. Over the course of the last 6 months he has gone from 24mg of Nicotine down to 8mg of Nicotine. His next step will be down to 4mg and that will come in March. His goal is to get down to 0mg and then start to lower the amount of times he uses it until it becomes a "stress day" puff here and there.

To be honest because of his success I have absolutely nothing bad to say about them and promote the use of them greatly when the purpose it to quit smoking.

I think most people get upset because there is a large group of 20 somethings that walk around with these and talk about the awesome "vape" they had just picked up while wearing their matching scarf and toque indoors......with a V-neck T.

GGG
01-13-2014, 04:08 PM

I don't smoke cigarettes nor e-cigs and I don't find their smell particularly pleasant. However; I might have a say in my own private home or private office (if I own it) about their use or no use; but I am willing to tolerate it in a public space, because I do not have that right. People that want to enjoy their cigarette or e-cig have the same rights as I do to enjoy the public space, because they also own it. I don't buy crap about negatively affecting other people's rights to enjoy that public space. It's irrelevant. I suffer when people use strong perfumes or emit strong body odour, as it gives me migraines; but it is not my right to demand they don't. Hence; I need to adjust. Same with firepits, smoking in public spaces, loud music, mandatory wearing bike helmets, junk food etc. When the state intrudes too much into personal liberties it makes the society worse, not better, even when the intentions are good.

There has to be a balance between net public good and individual freedoms. If you look at regular smoking you could clearly demonstrate harm coming to a large group of the public by a small group of individuals.
Each one of these has to be looked at from a net good. Be it chicken coops in back yards, or keeping tigers, or camp fires at some point due to our spacing your actions impact others. And if that impact is beyond some reasonable measure the state needs to step in.

One of these was clearly smoking in public enclosed spaces. The state was right to step in. In terms of E-cigs I don't think it is a big deal based on current available research of it being no harmful or at least no more harmful than outside air to the second had recipient.

chemgear
01-13-2014, 07:32 PM
I wonder how many lives this could have saved if invented years ago.

But think of those cigarette companies! They'd be so hard done if those lives were saved.

Nage Waza
01-13-2014, 08:19 PM
Whatever happened to the fundamentally right "live and let live" principle?

I think you have the principle misunderstood.

The first place I looked online defined 'Live and let live' as "Cliché not to interfere with other people's business or preferences." It certainly is not to simply accept anything anyone does...That principle would be anarchy.

Do what you want as long as it does not interfere with my business or preference is how most people would understand Live and let live.. In other words, if I don't want to breath in the exhaust of your E-cig, I shouldn't have to.

On a side note, I had some loser smoking one of these things a second before the gate of Legoland, and she turned to blow the 'smoke' away from her mom and daughter and exactly into my mouth and at my family. I could taste something on my tongue (gross) and it instantly reminded me of what I could taste when a ex coworker of mine talks to me immediately after having a smoke, just from his stinky breath. He had a heart attack. The same thing would occur with a second guy at my office that smokes, he too had a heart attack and recently quit smoking. Based on this one event of inhaling an E-cig, I do not want to do it again and should not have to.

I don't believe for a second it is just water vapour...is there any research proving this? What I breathed in was terrible.

I do believe this must be better than smoking, so I am totally supportive, I just don't need to inhale it myself.

RyZ
01-13-2014, 09:28 PM
I puff an ecig everyday and I generally just puff it at home or in the car. I think its all about common courtesy when it comes to puffing in public. If you use where it is not affecting anyone else, go to town, but puffing in an enclosed space with others or around kids is not cool.

Ice
01-13-2014, 10:11 PM
If they're used as a tool to quit smoking, I'm OK with them. But outside, in your own car or in your own house where you would normally smoke. They're not odorless and they can be unpleasant for other people near the "smoker."

A guy was smoking an E cig next to me at a hockey game, all game, every few seconds. It was nasty. It had a chemical smell and a sort of fruity grape smell. It wasn't as offensive as cigarette smoke, but after an hour several people around him started asking him to leave to "smoke" but he refused. It was irritating to the eyes and throats of some people. I'm very sensitive to smoke but it didn't irritate my throat the way second hand smoke does, but it was irritating to smell that horrible vapor all night.

He bought tickets from the season ticket holder next to me, who informed him if he smoked in his seats he would never sell him tickets again. Problem solved.

J Diddy
01-13-2014, 10:41 PM
The users look ridiculous...so let them be used wherever...I need a good laugh from time to time.

arsenal
01-14-2014, 12:05 AM
i have been smoking an e-cig for the past month and haven't touched nor wanted to touch a regular cigarette ('analog') for about a week now. It takes some time to get adjusted to the way that e-cigarettes deliver nicotine compared to analogs. I have 'vaped' at my cubicle during that month and have not had any complaints from any of my co-workers. There are things that users can do if in public places to reduce the amount of vapor that is emitted. Thinks like holding their breathe a little longer, doing a double "toke" (inhale air after taking a puff). All these things can and probably should be done in public places.

I don't think that there should be a ban on them in public places. I don't think that they should be treated the same way as analogs. I enjoy vaping, and I enjoy not having to go outside in the winter to get nicotine (this could change come summer). I have vaped at bars, work, the mall even a movie theatre and never had a single person complain. Had someone had an issue I would probably not do it around them.

There was a study commissioned last year by the CASAA (The Consumer Advocates for Smoke-free Alternatives Association study can be found at the bottom of the article) http://blog.casaa.org/2013/08/new-study-confirms-that-chemicals-in.html that states that the vapour emitted by e-cigarettes are not harmful to bystanders (in an out door setting) and that the levels in an enclosed space (office, mall etc) fall well below levels of concern to those in the immediate vicinity.
Even when compared to workplace standards for involuntary exposures, and using several conservative (erring on the side of caution) assumptions, the exposures from using e-cigarettes fall well below the threshold for concern for compounds with known toxicity. That is, even ignoring the benefits of e-cigarette use and the fact that the exposure is actively chosen, and even comparing to the levels that are considered unacceptable to people who are not benefiting from the exposure and do not want it, the exposures would not generate concern or call for remedial action.

The existing literature tends to overestimate the exposures and exaggerate their implications. This is partially due to rhetoric, but also results from technical features. The most important is confusion of the concentration
in aerosol, which on its own tells us little about risk to heath, with the relevant and much smaller total exposure to compounds in the aerosol averaged across all air inhaled in the course of a day. There is also clear bias in
previous reports in favor of isolated instances of highest level of chemical detected across multiple studies, such that average exposure that can be calculated are higher than true value because they are “missing” all true
zeros.

That being said, I am all for regulation. I want to be sure the that juice I am using is in fact just 4 ingredients (Nicotine, Propylene Glycol (PG), Vegetable Glycerine (VG) and flavouring). I have heard of reports of people getting "extra" ingredients, but that could have been years ago and from a non-trusted vendor. You should be of legal age in your country to purchase them, shouldn't be marketed towards children etc, and shouldn't be taxed at the same level as alcohol or cigarettes.

firebug
01-14-2014, 02:10 PM
BBC Discovery (http://www.bbc.co.uk/podcasts/series/discovery/all) looks at the science behind e-cigs (no easy answer).

http://downloads.bbc.co.uk/podcasts/worldservice/discovery/discovery_20130909-2000a.mp3

Cowboy89
01-14-2014, 02:18 PM
I'm fairly torn on e-cigs.

On one hand I can see the massive benefit they can have towards getting existing smokers to quit and the ensuing health benefits and lower health expenditures.

On the other hand I can totally imagine that 10-15 years from now there probably will end up being way more 'vapers' among the junior high and high school demographics than smokers in the present day. Not sure this is a trend that will be positive on that front.

Swarly
01-14-2014, 02:35 PM
I'm fairly torn on e-cigs.

On one hand I can see the massive benefit they can have towards getting existing smokers to quit and the ensuing health benefits and lower health expenditures.

On the other hand I can totally imagine that 10-15 years from now there probably will end up being way more 'vapers' among the junior high and high school demographics than smokers in the present day. Not sure this is a trend that will be positive on that front.

not saying this would be a good thing, but would it be a bad thing? are there any know negative effects of vaping? or is it we don't know long term effects yet? (that is fine if so, cant ignore possible problems) but seems to me that there are no ill effects with vaping, nicotine while being addictive is no worse for you than caffeine, or alcohol for that matter, and caffeine certainly isn't a restricted substance for jr/sr high school kids.

Tron_fdc
01-14-2014, 02:40 PM
Isn't "vaping" the same thing as blasting off an air freshener/cologne/random smell all the time?

I don't know anyone who does it.

Righteous1
01-14-2014, 03:22 PM
Buddy of mine was smoking an e cig at the university library and it just smelt all fruity but the smell faded away pretty quick.

mustache ride
01-15-2014, 08:09 AM

In five years, after we start to see the longer term affects of E-cigs, we will think about this like it was trying to cure cancer by getting Aids.

ranchlandsselling
01-15-2014, 10:21 PM
Kind of sounds like what people thought of smoking 50 years ago

corporatejay
01-15-2014, 10:53 PM
Total "lay" opinion but I can't imagine delivering nicotine to your system in any way shape or form can be remotely healthy.

Street Pharmacist
01-15-2014, 11:00 PM
Total "lay" opinion but I can't imagine delivering nicotine to your system in any way shape or form can be remotely healthy.

Nicotine is actually not that bad. It's the burnt organics or "tar" that cause the real problems. Overall, still not healthy, but exponentially better than inhaling smoke

corporatejay
01-15-2014, 11:02 PM
Nicotine is actually not that bad. It's the burnt organics or "tar" that cause the real problems. Overall, still not healthy, but exponentially better than inhaling smoke

Sorry, I wasn't trying to suggest that this wasn't infinitely better than smoking a cigarette, just someone asked "are there any harmful effects to vaping". For all I know nicotine is like caffeine or transfats. Really not that healthy for your but you can consume it every day.

Street Pharmacist
01-15-2014, 11:05 PM
Sorry, I wasn't trying to suggest that this wasn't infinitely better than smoking a cigarette, just someone asked "are there any harmful effects to vaping". For all I know nicotine is like caffeine or transfats. Really not that healthy for your but you can consume it every day.

I would say that is reasonably accurate