PDA

View Full Version : Help with lug nut/socket issue

Cuz
09-28-2013, 01:56 PM
Hello CPers,

I am looking for some help/advice with an issue with my locking lug nuts on my car. In trying to take off my tires to do my front brakes, I discovered that my key for my locking lug nuts no longer worked (it fits but is a bit loose so it does not grab the lug nut). So I Googled for help and found the trick of using a socket that is just bigger than the locking lug nut and hammering it on. Well, I tried that and now I cannot get the socket off. When I use my impact wrench, the socket turns, but the lug nut does not and the socket will not come off.

Anyways, I am looking for some advice and ideas for how to get at least the socket off the lug nut (I got smart and bought a locking lug nut removal kit for the other side which worked out well). I would like to avoid taking it to a mechanic as I am cheap (hence doing my own brakes) and Crappy Tire quoted me a minimum of $120 for labour (which seems rather inflated to me).

Thanks in advance.

To Be Quite Honest
09-28-2013, 02:13 PM
Nuts.

My brother had this issue a few weeks ago. He had to take it in to the dealer. $150.00 problem.

Cuz
09-28-2013, 02:19 PM
Nuts.

My brother had this issue a few weeks ago. He had to take it in to the dealer. $150.00 problem.

That's the type of problem I am hoping to avoid. I have a couple of ideas floating in my head:
1) Epoxying a socket extender to the socket in the hopes that the increased leverage will pop the socket off.
2) Take a rotary tool and cut into the socket (if the cutting discs I have will cut the socket that is) with a plus sign type of incision in the hopes that it will weaken the socket enough to pry it off.

Northendzone
09-28-2013, 02:19 PM
I am assuming you put the impact werench on the work bench and tried a hand tool?

I have no other advice other than to always order an extra key when you still have that card.

Delthefunky
09-28-2013, 02:46 PM
Yeah how much is your socket worth? If all else fail I like your cutting idea.

GreatWhiteEbola
09-28-2013, 02:48 PM
Nm

wooohooo
09-28-2013, 03:24 PM
If these are cheap sockets I'd try to cut it off. Other than that... Not sure

pylon
09-28-2013, 06:17 PM
Jam a bunch of tin foil in the socket, force it on with a mallet, and you may have luck.

This has worked for me once before.

Or buy one of these kits:
http://www.amazon.com/Wilmar-M980-Emergency-Lug-Removal/dp/B000FTN3KK

Cuz
09-28-2013, 06:40 PM
Jam a bunch of tin foil in the socket, force it on with a mallet, and you may have luck.

This has worked for me once before.

Or buy one of these kits:
http://www.amazon.com/Wilmar-M980-Emergency-Lug-Removal/dp/B000FTN3KK

Interesting idea with the tin foil, I think I will give that one a try. I have already bought one of those kits, and it worked fairly well on the other side. As an aside I have spare lug nuts so those will be replacing the locking ones, I don't think it is likely that someone will steal the wheels from an Aveo. :bag:

Bill Bumface
09-28-2013, 07:17 PM
Try hitting it with heat. Be sure to remove any plastic caps etc off the wheel first.

Dynamic
09-28-2013, 08:16 PM
I would just keep your impact on it and turn the hell out of it. Eventually you should wear enough metal away that the socket should be able to be pulled off. After that maybe one of those worn nut removal sockets to get the lugnut off. Or the tinfoil trick.

cancer man
09-29-2013, 07:58 AM
Bloody monkeys this is why we charge you money.Get rid of the wheels locks and go normal.PM me if you want to take them off.

onetwo_threefour
09-29-2013, 08:43 AM
Cancer man to the rescue. I hear he FMOTL.

(Frees Men Of The Lugnuts)

:w00t:

Cuz
09-30-2013, 10:00 PM
I would just keep your impact on it and turn the hell out of it. Eventually you should wear enough metal away that the socket should be able to be pulled off. After that maybe one of those worn nut removal sockets to get the lugnut off. Or the tinfoil trick.

This method, the impact wrench, ended up working for me. I was able to turn it enough to be able to pull off the socket with pliers and then was able to get the locking lug nut off. Thanks everyone for the ideas!

Traditional_Ale
10-01-2013, 01:08 AM
cancer man to the rescue. I hear he fmotl.

(frees men of the lugnuts)

:w00t:

wtf!?

onetwo_threefour
10-01-2013, 07:49 AM
^ If I have to explain it it doesn't work... Check out cancer man's crazy posts in the free men on the land thread...