PDA

View Full Version : Appliance Installing?

FCAV
09-27-2013, 04:38 PM
I recently purchased a new dishwasher from Sears and I can have it installed by them. I'm not the handiest of guys so this is the planned route.

Having said that, is there a better outlet to have it installed? Who have you used in the past to install new appliances?

maverickstruth
09-27-2013, 04:43 PM
I recently purchased a new dishwasher from Sears and I can have it installed by them. I'm not the handiest of guys so this is the planned route.

Having said that, is there a better outlet to have it installed? Who have you used in the past to install new appliances?

Honestly, a DW installation is super simple. I'm not at all handy - but I watched a YouTube video or two and that was good enough for me to be able to do it myself.

It's literally a matter of making sure the power is turned off, either plugin the power or put the wires under some screws and tighten them, and then attach the water hoses. Push it in, screw it into the countertop, done.

Before you pay someone to do it, just search for [dishwasher model] installation on YouTube. I'll be you'll be surprised at how easy it is.

Rathji
09-27-2013, 04:46 PM
Yeah, a dishwasher is pretty easy.

Assuming you are replacing an existing built-in and you don't need to wire a plug or anything.

Northendzone
09-27-2013, 05:52 PM
If the install was included in the price then let it ride......

4X4
09-27-2013, 06:03 PM
You guys are crazy telling a not handy guy to do it himself. The only thing worse for a house than fire - is water. This isn't a faucet dripping in a sink, it's a hot water connection and a drain that are concealed behind a toe kick, usually in a cavity with an unfinished (and therefore slightly lower) floor. Yeah, it's easy if you find things like this easy. But if you don't, then this isn't the type of DIY you want to fiddle with. If you don't do it right the first time, the leak is going to ruin your kitchen floor or your basement ceiling.

But if you are confident enough to do it, then it really is easy. You just have to make sure your connections are right the first time. And don't try to jerry-rig anything. If you bought the wrong installation kit, go back to Rona and get the right one. And don't forget to flip the breaker before you start with the electrical (which is the easiest part).

Street Pharmacist
09-27-2013, 06:31 PM

I did it myself. I flooded the basement and electrocuted myself. It was stupid mistake like forgetting to close the shutoff under the sink before turning the water back on.

puckluck2
09-27-2013, 09:10 PM
A dishwasher is NOT super easy. Maybe if you know what you're doing but I wouldn't call it easy at all.

DuffMan
09-27-2013, 09:43 PM
I did it and I didn't know what I was doing. Had to remove some of the cabinet and run new water, drain and electrical. It's easy, you can do it.

Regulator75
09-27-2013, 09:46 PM
I came hoping for a joke about women washing dishes.

Leaving disappointed.

Jacks
09-27-2013, 10:10 PM
If you do it yourself leave the bottom kick plate off for a few days to make sure it isn't leaking.

I-Hate-Hulse
09-27-2013, 10:38 PM
Just changed my dishwasher 2 weeks ago for the first time- I'd call it easy, but I'd probably fall into the reasonably "handy" category. Lowes had a 300 series Bosch for $648 - crazy cheap. Install was going to be $200-$250.

I did it myself to save the money, and frankly in this town so I could make sure it was done right. Just make sure the high loop is done correctly coming off your sink (even if a "plumber" does it. Without it your dishwasher will smell like feet.

If you do you own, just a tip - for the love of god, baby your hoses. Run a couple loads looking for drips, and leave the toe kick off for a week so that leaks can be easier spotted.

That said, any plumbing outfit can do it. Most of the places like sears, HD, Lowes, just sub it out to local plumbers anyways.

Northendzone
09-27-2013, 10:39 PM
In the context of home repairs, replacing a dishwasher is relatively simple, assuming there was one in place before.

Atari hing the wiring could be intimidating for the inexperienced.

If you have to put one in from scratch, getting the plumbing right can be tricky.

I have had sears in to do some work, and the guy was able to fix my washing maching when a guy from an independent shop could not.

FCAV
09-29-2013, 04:14 PM
For those curious, it is just replacing an old dishwasher, so everything is already run from the plumbing perspective. Some YouTube videos seem to show it's super easy.

My larger concern though is the fact I'm in a condo. I'd rather have someone else on the hook in case of a botch.

hedge
09-30-2013, 09:35 AM
Very easy, if you can't handle this then you don't deserve to call yourself a man lol

JBR
09-30-2013, 10:42 AM
I came hoping for a joke about women washing dishes.

Leaving disappointed.

I installed a dishwasher 15 years ago and it's still running.. Happy anniversary honey.

Satisfied?

Robo
09-30-2013, 11:01 AM
I have installed alot of dishwashers and honestly I hate putting them in they are easy to install if you know what you are doing but all that crawling around working in cupboards and lying on the floor trying to finish everything I would rather hire somebody to do unfortunately I'm the guy that gets hired to do it