PDA

View Full Version : [News] Vancouver waives Ballard. Update: Ballard will be bought out

sureLoss
07-01-2013, 10:23 AM
per McKenzie

@TSNBobMcKenzie (https://twitter.com/TSNBobMcKenzie): VAN's Keith Ballard is on conventional waivers. Not $100 unconditional waivers, which is necessary for buyout purposes.

dammage79
07-01-2013, 10:26 AM
nm

kyuss275
07-01-2013, 10:28 AM
So they are not buying him out? I can't see anybody taking him on at $4.2 million for the next 2 seasons.

Flash Walken
07-01-2013, 10:28 AM
Waiving him to see if he's picked up, waive him tomorrow on unconditional and buy him out?

Really interesting to see how Gillis and Co. will navigate these roster problems.

dammage79
07-01-2013, 10:31 AM
Vancouver is going to be a mess next year. Luongo has checked out. Not sure how this is going to go down.

StrykerSteve
07-01-2013, 10:32 AM
No one will grab him, considering you will be able to acquire him in a few days at probably half the cost.

Tinordi
07-01-2013, 10:37 AM
To be expected.

Bertuzzied
07-01-2013, 10:38 AM
Next up. Booth

Flash Walken
07-01-2013, 10:41 AM
Next up. Booth

Can't, he's injured.

d_phaneuf
07-01-2013, 11:01 AM
can't hurt to try I guess

I still think he can be a solid 2nd pairing guy on the right team, but at that salary no point to risk it when he signs for maybe 1/2 that after being bought out

Booth is injured ya, and I think they give him another chance either way, he played well when healthy last year just didn't score

Poe969
07-01-2013, 11:05 AM
Hahahaha stupid nucks

Hockey
07-01-2013, 11:11 AM
Aquilinis are cheap.

Cole436
07-01-2013, 11:13 AM
I can see us taking him. Two years for a contract that will help us get past the cap floor. He'll see more ice time and potentially regain his confidence. Flip him at the deadline if he plays lights out.

Canada 02
07-01-2013, 11:17 AM
Grabner, Bernier and a 1st round pick; that trade was Calgary/Toronto-trades bad

d_phaneuf
07-01-2013, 11:18 AM
Grabner, Bernier and a 1st round pick; that trade was Feaster-bad

for both teams, turned out really bad

the only winner was the Islanders

Erick Estrada
07-01-2013, 11:18 AM
Ha ha ha ha ha ha.

you got PHANUEFED
07-01-2013, 11:20 AM
Gillis is in some deep S...

MelBridgeman
07-01-2013, 11:23 AM
Gillis sucks

Vinny01
07-01-2013, 11:24 AM
I wouldn't mind Ballard to be honest I think for free he would be a decent pickup. If he can somewhat regain his form we can ship him off for assets at the deadline in 2014

OILFAN #81
07-01-2013, 11:27 AM
If Ballard only had 1 year left on his deal, I wouldn't mind if the Oilers picked him up. I think he is still/can be a 2nd pairing guy. In Vancouver, he was paid 5th highest on D and was behind Edler, Bieksa, Hamhuis, and Garrison.

djsFlames
07-01-2013, 11:31 AM
Despite how undesirable the contract is, I think Feaster should grab this guy.

We've got way too much cap space at this point, might at well use it for some good. 2 years isn't bad either, and in those 2 years, we probably won't be in a position where we'll be pushing for any high price tag free agents or trade pieces to push our team "over the top" and our kids will still be on their ELCs for the most part.

darthma
07-01-2013, 11:45 AM
No one will grab him, considering you will be able to acquire him in a few days at probably half the cost.

FWIW According to capgeek there is no longer re-entry waivers. Also, you can no longer bury salary in the minors (or overseas).

http://www.capgeek.com/new-cba/

I don't know what they are doing... hahaha but I like it (from a comedy point of view).

Yoho
07-01-2013, 11:45 AM
decent stop gap for the next two years of ugliness?

d_phaneuf
07-01-2013, 11:46 AM
If Ballard only had 1 year left on his deal, I wouldn't mind if the Oilers picked him up. I think he is still/can be a 2nd pairing guy. In Vancouver, he was paid 5th highest on D and was behind Edler, Bieksa, Hamhuis, and Garrison.

could always buy him out next summer if it doesn't work

now that I think about it and looked at some teams caps I could definitely see someone like Edmonton/Calgary/Colorado/NYI claiming him

for the first 3 if you have to buyout next summer no issue, Isles will never spent to cap so no issue there

Calgary can trade him at the deadline if he plays well for 5 months, the other 3 all need huge upgrades on D to push for playoffs

mrdonkey
07-01-2013, 11:57 AM
Not sure who I would bump off the roster if we picked up Ballard. Butler maybe. But Ballard reminds me of a $4 million version of Butler.

memphusk
07-01-2013, 11:58 AM
Don't help the Canucks. Force them to buy him out, then give him the same money for 2 years. That would be superb.

Vinny01
07-01-2013, 11:59 AM
Not sure who I would bump off the roster if we picked up Ballard. Butler maybe. But Ballard reminds me of a $4 million version of Butler.

Ballard can throw a mean hip check once and a while at least

Galakanokis
07-01-2013, 12:01 PM
Thought Ballard wasn't too bad last year, especially early on, but he could not get out of AV's doghouse. Stop gap guy for sure but I can't see too many teams going after him on waivers. It is not always the money but the number of contracts. Teams don't want to go into the deadline with to many contracts because you lose flexibility.

He goes unclaimed and bought out shortly after.

kyuss275
07-01-2013, 12:03 PM
Why would the flames want another 5-6-7 D-man? We already have Smith, Cundari, Butler and SOB to battle it out for bottom pairing. Also isn't Breen ready to make the jump? Picking up Ballard just means that Cundari and Breen probably will not get a chance.

Flames should treat the bottom pairing D like they are treating the goalie situation. Let the guys that we do have duke it out.

Now if the flames want to get a legit top 4 dman that is another story.

Yoho
07-01-2013, 12:06 PM
I doubt if he get's bought out he picks the Flames to sign for half price. The nice part about this is two yr. term compared to other UFA's request July 5th

foshizzle11
07-01-2013, 12:06 PM
No thanks to this. I think that we need to give our young guys the chance to just play and develop together. Will be interesting to see who we do pick up from the UFAs this summer. But I don't want Ballard.

Hammertime
07-01-2013, 12:34 PM
Instead of picking up Ballard, just wait a few days and offer sheet Tanev. We get a younger dman that can also fill in as a back-up :)

moon
07-01-2013, 12:40 PM
I wouldn't mind Ballard at that price and term. I think the two years actually works if Flames are tanking for top picks.

He could be a really key piece in drafting Reinhart and McDavid.

CaptainCrunch
07-01-2013, 12:41 PM
Ballard just hasn't been good.

But Gillis has made a mistake, do you really want to piss off a Sith Lord?

http://i51.tinypic.com/2emq0pj.jpg

Meers
07-01-2013, 12:42 PM
No. He's prone to utterly boneheaded plays that end in goals - typically leaving his man to cut across for the hipcheck on a player his partner already had covered. I completely understand why he was in AV's doghouse.

Roof-Daddy
07-01-2013, 12:44 PM
for both teams, turned out really bad

the only winner was the Islanders

That depends how Quinton Howden develops.

killer_carlson
07-01-2013, 12:45 PM
If vancouver evens out the salary, id swap him for Butler.

CaptainCrunch
07-01-2013, 12:46 PM
If vancouver evens out the salary, id swap him for Butler.

I wouldn't no way not a chance, neither are optimal choices.

Resolute 14
07-01-2013, 01:02 PM
I wouldn't mind Ballard at that price and term. I think the two years actually works if Flames are tanking for top picks.

He could be a really key piece in drafting Reinhart and McDavid.

Which is argument #1 why we should stay the hell away from him.

The hypocrisy of this forum is astounding when one considers how often we trash the Oilers for their plan of deliberately sucking for top picks.

Sylvanfan
07-01-2013, 01:03 PM
No one is interested in doing the Canucks a favor and paying them waiver money to take on Ballard's contract. They want to see Gillis have to buy him out.

Bertuzzied
07-01-2013, 01:06 PM
Ballard on the Flames?!!! are you guys insane??

StrykerSteve
07-01-2013, 01:09 PM
He's 31, do not want.

Tinordi
07-01-2013, 01:11 PM
Post-crapex

Lanny'sDaMan
07-01-2013, 01:15 PM
The Flames want to get younger, smarter, faster, bigger. Ballard is the opposite of all of these things.

Double Maximum pass thank you.

OzSome
07-01-2013, 02:01 PM
I would rather see Butler playing more than having Ballard here. I thought Butler so much better and got more confidence last season. I get it why people don't like the guy, he was playing #1 or #2 D-pairing instead of #3 pairing. I would also rather see a young guy like John Ramage, Breen, Cundari on the lineup than signing Ballard. No thanks! If we are going to rebuild, then rebuild.

kehatch
07-01-2013, 02:07 PM
The Flames top 4 so far is:

Giordano-Wideman
Butler-Brodie

We can't go forward with that mess.

I would prefer Ballard over spending assets on a trade or overpaying someone July 5.

Calgary4LIfe
07-01-2013, 02:20 PM

Giordano-Wideman
Butler-Brodie

I would prefer Ballard over spending assets on a trade or overpaying someone July 5.

I think with the cap going down this year, there will be some bargain hunting going on in the UFA market.

kyuss275
07-01-2013, 02:22 PM

Giordano-Wideman
Butler-Brodie

I fully agree that top 4 is horrible. Has to be one of the worst in the league, if not the worst. The problem is as bad is that is, Ballard could not beat out any of those 4 for top 4. Butler gets a lot of hate and i could do without him but he is better than slow ageing Ballard.

SOB is going to get 70+ games on the bottom pairing so our goaltenders don't get run. That leaves one spot, and i would much rather have Cundari or Breen in instead of Ballard. Also SOB with Ballard would be horrible to watch.

Flames should not be bringing anybody in unless they are a legit top 4 Dman. Adding another useless plug for bottom pairing will not get the flames anymore wins and will take time away from the youngsters.

kehatch
07-01-2013, 02:23 PM
I think with the cap going down this year, there will be some bargain hunting going on in the UFA market.

Given the Flames commitment to a rebuild, the only way we attract players is to overpay for them. Plus, this is a weak free agency group.

Enoch Root
07-01-2013, 05:44 PM
I would MUCH rather give $4m to Ference than to Ballard

dammage79
07-01-2013, 05:45 PM

I echo this sentiment. Although I think he can be had for less.

Poe969
07-01-2013, 05:52 PM
Post-crapex

Disagree. I think Ballard is right in the mids of his crappiness

kehatch
07-01-2013, 06:11 PM

Do you really think Ference wants to play in Calgary though? Hence the problem.

Cheerio
07-01-2013, 06:37 PM

Why wouldn't he? As far as I know he loved his time here and we're in a position to offer more money to him than another team would be.

19Yzerman19
07-01-2013, 06:48 PM
No one is interested in doing the Canucks a favor and paying them waiver money to take on Ballard's contract. They want to see Gillis have to buy him out.
The only way I see anyone claiming him is if they a) think he's still a top 4 guy, even a limited (i.e. not two-way) top 4 guy and b) they don't think they can sign him if he goes UFA after a buyout. The benefit of a claim is that you get the player. If you don't care about overpaying him by probably 2 million bucks (I think he's actually worth 2.5), I'd do it, if you have an organizational need and are able to spend the cash.

Milt Schmidt
07-01-2013, 06:55 PM
Why wouldn't he? As far as I know he loved his time here and we're in a position to offer more money to him than another team would be.

When the story broke in Boston that he wasn't going to be given a new contract he sounded like he was going to be looking for a playoff team. It sounded like he wanted to keep chasing another cup, wouldn't surprise me to see him in Pitt or Philly (if he thinks they can make it next year).

Milt

Stay Golden
07-01-2013, 07:56 PM
Ballard to Flames nooooooooooooo hard pass!
Gillis putting Ballard on waivers instead of buy out is just desperate.

Calgary4LIfe
07-02-2013, 01:09 AM
Given the Flames commitment to a rebuild, the only way we attract players is to overpay for them. Plus, this is a weak free agency group.

Flames will have to vastly over-pay to get marquee players. However, with the cap going down, there will be a lot of UFAs available in August. If the Flames feel they need to get another guy to fill a hole, that would be a good option.

These are all the upcoming UFA defencemen:
http://www.capgeek.com/free-agents/?year_id=2013&team_id=-1&position_id=D&fa_type_id=2

Some will be going to the KHL. Some will retire. Some will re-sign with their teams. However, there will be some that will become free agents, and will still be available after the 'frenzy' on the 5th.

Tough to gauge. As Milt stated above - he may indeed be looking to be part of a contender again.

On the flipside, he loved living in Calgary. I believe his wife trained in Canmore. It was 'home' for them I believe. I think it is a guy you would attempt to sign before claiming Ballard. I am betting Ballard clears waivers. If the Flames can't find a better fit, make a trade for him later. Send a bit of salary back, or send a contract from a prospect they deem does not fit in the organization any longer (whomever it may be). Even call Gillis at that point and tell him to put him back on waivers.

If the Flames REALLY need help on D, he should be one of the last options I think, given his salary/term left, and given his performance over the last couple of years. I don't think he cracks the Flames' top 4, but would be an upgrade over the 6 and 7th in my opinion. Is it worth it? I guess we will see if he gets claimed or not.

Oling_Roachinen
07-02-2013, 01:50 AM

Overpaying someone on July 5th or grabbing an overpaid Ballard, I don't know if I see a huge difference. Other than at least the UFA wants to be in Calgary.

Had it been any other team waiving Ballard, I wouldn't be completely adamant against claiming him. But the Canucks need to get rid of him, they can't afford going into the season with him if they want some chance. Not with the current 4M space they have thanks to the Schneider trade and the need to sign, or promote, 7 players. That's just minimum salary for guys that need to replace players like Schneider, Roy, Tanev and Raymond. A healthy Kesler takes over most of Roy's duty and obviously Luongo is going to be the undisputed number 1 but still a ton of depth lost for the Canucks.

Ballard being claimed would be a huge favour for the Canucks. As there's only a couple of teams that I see considering Ballard and with a good enough UFA class and teams struggling to make cap room I think it could benefit those teams to have the cap space and budget going into July 5th. I think it would suck if the Flames were the only team to put a claim in and do the Canucks that favour. A long rebuild I can live with but helping the Canucks is sacrilegious.

So if Ballard is for sure not in the future plans of Vancouver, what's with the charade of not putting him on unconditional waivers? Unless I'm missing something seems like a terrible bluff or, more likely, the Canucks are not prepared to eat his salary with a buyout if he does pass.

doctajones428
07-02-2013, 02:01 AM
Would rather bring back Pardy... or Vandemeer

sureLoss
07-03-2013, 07:22 AM
he is going to be on uncoditional waivers today for a buyout per McKenzie

Erick Estrada
07-03-2013, 07:26 AM
Another beauty move by Gillis to add to his tale of how to turn the best roster in the league to an also-ran.

Burner
07-03-2013, 07:46 AM
[QUOTE=Calgary4LIfe;4312430]Flames will have to vastly over-pay to get marquee players. However, with the cap going down, there will be a lot of UFAs available in August. If the Flames feel they need to get another guy to fill a hole, that would be a good option.

http://www.capgeek.com/free-agents/?year_id=2013&team_id=-1&position_id=D&fa_type_id=2

Thats a very long list - hope our pro scouts have gone through it and have found some young guys with potential - personally like Sauer and O'Byrne

sureLoss
07-03-2013, 07:48 AM
^Sauer's career looks to be over... he is still having concussion symptoms from a Phaneuf hit in 2011

dustygoon
07-03-2013, 07:51 AM

Thats a very long list - hope our pro scouts have gone through it and have found some young guys with potential - personally like Sauer and O'Byrne

Thats a lot of defensemen that are better than Butler

DuffMan
07-03-2013, 08:26 AM
Ballard stinks like Canuck, do not want.

neo45
07-03-2013, 08:30 AM
^Sauer's career looks to be over... he is still having concussion symptoms from a Phaneuf hit in 2011

What's really messed is that his brother's career looks over due to concussions as well

OILFAN #81
07-04-2013, 02:41 PM
Rumor is that he will sign with Minnesota.

@NHLbyMatty1m
Take this to bank: Keith Ballard signs in his home state of Minnesota, with the Wild. They need third pairing D-man

$ven27
07-04-2013, 02:48 PM
Is he credible?

OILFAN #81
07-04-2013, 02:52 PM
Is he credible?

It's Hockey Hall of Fame inductee Jim Matheson.

Hockey
07-04-2013, 04:29 PM
@TSNBobMckenzie

Keith Ballard's two-year deal with MIN has an AAV of $1.5M.