PDA

View Full Version : Pens add 14 prospects to the mix.

Goffie
06-22-2013, 04:05 PM
The Pittsburgh Penguins had a very busy day at the CPHL entry draft. Holding down five 1st round picks, five 2nd round picks a 3rd and 3 4ths the Pens welcomed a total of 14 players to their team.

http://lastwordonsports.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/darnell-Nurse.jpegNurse was the Pens top pick on the day.

http://storage.canoe.ca/v1/dynamic_resize/sws_path/suns-prod-images/1346007716084_ORIGINAL.jpg?quality=80&size=x&stmp=1346105082706
Reuniting Horvat and Domi at the next level was one of the highlights of Pittsburgh's draft.

Round 1:
8th overall Darnell Nurse – This pick was almost too easy to make. So easy that I almost talked myself out of it four or 5 times. We knew for a long time that Nurse would be the BPA at 8. We see him as the second best defenseman in the draft. His physical style and responsible play in his own end will no doubt translate to the NHL game. If his offensive upside can follow suit I feel we got a steal here.
7th overall to the Oilers(+1) - This is where I saw him going in the NHL and I think it is a good fit.

11th overall – Bo Horvat – Our favorite forward in the “next tier” this kid oozes character. He is the kind of player that you can win hockey games with. He can play in all situations and is mature for a player for his age. I feel he will be a captain in the NHL some day and will be the type of player that everyone wants on their team and hates to play against.
9th overall to the Canucks (+2) - Part of the biggest deal on draft day. I may be the only GM in the CPHL who is happy to see him go to the Canucks.

12th overall – Max Domi – Boom or Bust. Domi has issues on the defensive side of the game. But there is no doubting his character and grit. He is a winner and I think he will become an offensive force once he rounds out his game. It was a tough choice between Domi and Mantha, but we went with the bloodlines and liked the idea of uniting the London Knights on the CPHL Pens.
12th overall to the Coyotes (+/- 0) Right on the spot I took him. Domi should be a big part of the future in whatever city this team plays in.

18th overall – Anthony Mantha – I was a tad but shocked to see this kid available for us at 18. He is one of the best scorers in the draft having scored 50 goals last season and has been developing at a great rate in the QMJHL. If he can keep his development on track he has the size and skill to thrive at the next level. I see him as being one of the best players in the draft when all is said and done.
20th overall to the Wings (-2). Love the fact he is going to Detroit.

22nd overall – Nic Petan – We figured that we had a shot at Petan with our 31st pick but I didn’t want to risk it. This kid has high end offensive instincts and a high compete level. He was a guy I wanted badly and I figured the 22nd pick would guarantee I got him. I like swinging for the fences and this pick will be a grand slam or a pop fly. I am more than happy to take the risk.
43rd overall to the Jets (-19) - I knew Petan would be a 2nd rounder. I like the fit in the Peg.

Round 2

31st overall – Samuel Morin – We wanted this guy at 18 but the way the draft was developing I had a strong feeling he would be available here. His upside is off the charts. The kid is a beast and could surprise everyone on NHL draft day as he appears to be ranked high on a lot of lists. At the very least I think he will be a solid shutdown guy.
11th overall to Philly.(+20) I had a feeling this kid would be a riser and I was right. I think he will be a beast when he develops.

32nd overall – Ryan Hartman – the 7th guy from our first round we were able to snag. He is a well rounded player that is already playing with an edge and doing a great job getting under peoples skin. If his game can translate to the NHL than he will be a player everyone hates to play against and will become a very useful guy.
30th overall to Chicago (+2) - Right around where I expected him. Love the fit on the defending champs.

38th overall – Laurent Dauphin – Dauphin was a guy we had on our list for the 32nd pick. We were happy he lasted to 38. He is a cerebral player and is good in all areas of the game. He impressed a lot of people in the u18’s and we are hoping he keeps developing his all round game. His upside is that of a Bergeron type player, so we hope he heads in that direction.
39 to the Coyotes.(-1) Like Domi I think he will be a big part of the core their moving forward.

41st overall – Jordan Subban – Honestly I took this kid for two reasons, his name and his upside. He is undersized, but super skilled. The thought of a Subban-Subban pairing down the road was too much to pass up.
115th to the Canucks (-74) This kid slipped a lot more than I thought he would. I saw him as a 3rd rounder but wanted him. The Canucks trolled the Habs by nabbing him one spot before they were set to.

56th overall – Dillon Heatherington- Plays a steady and solid game. Has great size, but translates more into a safe stay at home type game. If he finds his niche he could have a long NHL career. Was a very safe pick at this stage of round 2.
50th to the Jackets (+6) - Saw this kid as a late 2nd and that is where he fell.

Other picks:
85th – Matt Buckles – long term project with nice size and high upside.
98th to Florida (-13) I saw this kid as a 3rd round pick and he slipped to the 4th.

109 – Sean Malone – another long term project, needs to add muscle. Looked solid with the USA development team.
159 (-50)to Buffalo - Look out for this kid in a few years. He is my sleeper pick.

110- Ebbe Sionas – All know is he is Swedish and a goalie so I gambled.
Undrafted

112 – Wilhelm Westlund – another swede who I dont know a whole lot about. So again I gambled and hoped he could be another Swedish defensive gem.
183rd to the Avs. (-71) Glad the kid was drafted, but he went really late.

All in all I am very pleased with the outcome of this draft. It was one of the most successful drafts I have ever had in terms of not having the next guy on my list picked right before me. I honestly don’t know if that is a good thing or a bad thing. Only time will tell.

Hanna Sniper
06-22-2013, 04:15 PM
As far as I'm concerned Goffie, you can kiss my @$%. You screwed me over so many times that after the draft I had to go out and purchase a pregnancy test

TurdFerguson
06-22-2013, 04:23 PM
Well done. Draft really wooed out well for you in terms of players being around for you. Some good quality for sure.

Goffie
06-22-2013, 04:29 PM
As far as I'm concerned Goffie, you can kiss my @$%. You screwed me over so many times that after the draft I had to go out and purchase a pregnancy test

Haha. Who were you after that I drafted?

Hanna Sniper
06-22-2013, 04:41 PM
There was 3 and two being the top two players on my draft sheet, although the Subban was indeed my fault.. I knew that you were my only threat of picking him and when you picked Dauphin at 38 I figured I would snag Lodge at 40 and Subban would easily sill be around at 46 for me.

I didn't realize you had pick 41, both the Philadelphia and Pittsburgh name plate are blurry and I mistakenly thought the Flyers had 41. I was pretty excited once you didn't pick Subban at 38, if I realized it was not the Flyers picking after me at 41 I would have taken Subban at 40 and left Lodge for 46.

Mitch
06-22-2013, 05:23 PM
I think you got steals in Morin and Hartman at the start of the 2nd round, would not be surprised to see them both go in the 1st round. Was sosososo hoping that they would drop to 34, either them or Mueller and you picked those 2 and Grant picked Mueller... ugh.

Great draft.

JiriHrdina
06-22-2013, 05:24 PM
Not a huge fan of Domi but with that many picks you should take some big swings, plus guys like horvat and Nurse are pretty safe

GreenLantern
06-23-2013, 09:47 AM
Should be 13, but I couldn't remember which pick was mine :p

My own fault for not writing it down, but I more than likely will not learn from this lesson.

So you ended up with

Turris
2nd

Hanzal
23rd overall

That is a hell of a trade for you :D

Goffie
07-01-2013, 08:10 PM
Updated with NHL spots.