PDA

View Full Version : [News] Feaster: Kipper still leaning towards retirement

sureLoss
06-19-2013, 02:21 PM
Chris Johnston ‏@reporterchris (https://twitter.com/reporterchris) 1m (https://twitter.com/reporterchris/status/347448670599385088) Jay Feaster says he spoke with Miikka Kiprusoff last week. Says the goaltender is still leaning towards retirement.

Daren Millard ‏@darenmillard (https://twitter.com/darenmillard) 54s (https://twitter.com/darenmillard/status/347448722935910401)
Jay Feaster spoke with Kipprusoff last week and if MK was forced to make a decision then, he thinks Kipper would be done.

Ozy_Flame
06-19-2013, 02:24 PM
Just do it already, Kipper. I'm sure the Flames have some upcoming decisions regarding goaltending, and any clarity you can provide would help them. The fans are getting anxious as well whether you will retire or not. The witching hour cometh.

sun
06-19-2013, 02:25 PM
I'll miss the guy when he's gone. Dude was the best.

Hockeyguy15
06-19-2013, 02:27 PM
Just do it already, Kipper. I'm sure the Flames have some upcoming decisions regarding goaltending, and any clarity you can provide would help them. The fans are getting anxious as well whether you will retire or not. The witching hour cometh.

Spoiler alert:
He will retire

FakenHaken
06-19-2013, 02:30 PM
Might have pulled a muscle lifting that Elk over his head while doing a summersault just shouldn't have followed that up with the cabbage dance.

I think he says I'm good Jay thanks I'm going to retire. I want my kids to grow up here in Finland. Maybe I can become a European scout for you guys.

Roof-Daddy
06-19-2013, 02:33 PM
Come on Kip, play another year and agree to a trade.

Really though, I'm good either way.

Flash Walken
06-19-2013, 02:43 PM
I hope he retires.

Where is Kipper on the list of all-time greatest flames?

I might put him #1.

Bertuzzied
06-19-2013, 02:46 PM
I hope he retires.

I might put him #1.

He is #1 by a mile!

I wish he would come back and play another year with us. With him in net we always have a chance at the playoffs.

korzym12
06-19-2013, 02:55 PM
IMO the final decision comes after the draft, probably depends on what Feaster does. If he does come back hopefully we can trade him to a contender and give him a shot...Pit viable?

Huntingwhale
06-19-2013, 03:03 PM
It will be bittersweet if Kipper returns. I know he has another year on his contract, but playing him last season only got us additional points we could have done without. He won his last 2 games on home ice, in dominating fashion. He's going out on a high note. I'd rather he retire then come back for 1 more season and get traded. His legacy should be left as is.

You Need a Thneed
06-19-2013, 03:05 PM
i hope he retires.

Where is kipper on the list of all-time greatest flames?

I might put him #1.

#2.

BurningSteel
06-19-2013, 03:39 PM
#1.34

lazypucker
06-19-2013, 03:43 PM
Actually if the Flames needs a way to reach the cap floor, I think keeping Kipper on the payroll can help ($1-mil real salary but a $5.8-mil cap hit). He can just be the 3rd-string goalie that never dresses for a game unless our #1 or 2 gets hurt.

GreenLantern
06-19-2013, 03:44 PM
When I was a kid a lot of the Flames greats were on their way out, Niewy, Roberts, Suter, Vernon... through out my child hood I watched them go from a powerhouse Cup winning team to the joke of the league.. it was very disheartening.. to actually see a player become a legend from start to finish for my team was a real treat and one I had not yet been able to witness outside of Iginla.

Now to see him finish off his career with this team is a true honour, I will never forget the first game he played for us and the Holy crap what the hell just happened moments he brought to this team year after year.

SuperMatt18
06-19-2013, 03:47 PM
I hope he retires.

I might put him #1.

Hard to say.

My elite group is MacInnis, Iginla, Fleury, and Kipper.

I actually tend to lean towards MacInnis as the best. Won the Conn Smythe as a Flame, 100 point season as a d-man, top pairing d-man, first ballot HHOFer, etc.

Personally don't think he gets enough credit among the best Flames all time.

I go with:

MacInnis
Iginla
Kipper
Fleury

Locke
06-19-2013, 03:53 PM
I hope he comes back. He will be sorely missed.

CaptainCrunch
06-19-2013, 03:58 PM
Hard to say.

My elite group is MacInnis, Iginla, Fleury, and Kipper.

I actually tend to lean towards MacInnis as the best. Won the Conn Smythe as a Flame, 100 point season as a d-man, top pairing d-man, first ballot HHOFer, etc.

Personally don't think he gets enough credit among the best Flames all time.

I go with:

MacInnis
Iginla
Kipper
Fleury

Not to argue but how can you not have McDonald in that grouping? Especially since he set a single season goal mark that that probably won't be touched

troutman
06-19-2013, 04:02 PM
Vernon's stats are comparable to Kipper. Vernon played in a different era though, with higher scoring, and no O/T. 1 and 1A.

http://flames.nhl.com/club/app

zuluking
06-19-2013, 04:31 PM
Vernon's stats are comparable to Kipper. Vernon played in a different era though, with higher scoring, and no O/T. 1 and 1A.

http://flames.nhl.com/club/app

... and a good team.

drPepper1
06-19-2013, 04:34 PM
Kip still got game, don't think he should retire. But if he plays for the Flames we won't be getting a top 3 pick.

Phanuthier
06-19-2013, 04:34 PM
I hope he retires.

I might put him #1.
#3 is my guess?

1. Iginla
2. MacInnis
3. Kiprusoff
4. Fleury?

Cleveland Steam Whistle
06-19-2013, 04:41 PM
I hope he retires.

I might put him #1.
It's debatable if Kipper is even the best goalie in franchise history, so I don't think I'd put him at #1 overall, but he's up there.

Bertuzzied
06-19-2013, 04:44 PM
It's debatable if Kipper is even the best goalie in franchise history, so I don't think I'd put him at #1 overall, but he's up there.

wow. that is insane. There is no way Vernon comes even close to him and Vernon was a great goaltender.

t0rrent98
06-19-2013, 04:46 PM
If Kipper does decide to retire, I hope he stays on with the Flames Organization. With that being said, I would like to see him retire and become the Flames next goaltending coach.. no offensive to Malarchuk but with a goaltender of Kippers calibre, I am sure he can teach Berra, Ramo and MacD a few things or two like the scorpion.. :p

calgarywinning
06-19-2013, 04:54 PM
Kipper played one of his best seasons in 2011-2012. I think he should stay on for the challenge of seeing what can happen. If he does retire I hope he stays on in the organization.

Cleveland Steam Whistle
06-19-2013, 05:19 PM
wow. that is insane. There is no way Vernon comes even close to him and Vernon was a great goaltender.
No, the only insanity is your comment. That's cool if you like Kipper better, but it is very debatable who the better goalie was..........in every single way possible it's debatable.

Cleveland Steam Whistle
06-19-2013, 05:20 PM
If Kipper does decide to retire, I hope he stays on with the Flames Organization. With that being said, I would like to see him retire and become the Flames next goaltending coach.. no offensive to Malarchuk but with a goaltender of Kippers calibre, I am sure he can teach Berra, Ramo and MacD a few things or two like the scorpion.. :p
Oh yah, Kipper really seems like the coaching type ;) Quality goalie doesn't equal quality coach. Everything we've ever heard about Kipper suggests he would have nothing to add in a coaching capacity, the guy was a pure talent, but doesn't seem too interested in anything other than going out and playing.

moon
06-19-2013, 05:29 PM
I hope he retires.

I might put him #1.

No way is he number 1 overall but certainly top 3, probably 2 in my view.

Definitely the best goalie ever for the Flames. No doubt about that.

Dion
06-19-2013, 06:49 PM
I hope he retires.

I might put him #1.

I would put Vernon as #1 and Kiprusoff behind him..

sun
06-19-2013, 07:29 PM
It's debatable if Kipper is even the best goalie in franchise history

Is it?

Cleveland Steam Whistle
06-19-2013, 07:48 PM
Is it?
Yes.

Alberta_Beef
06-19-2013, 07:52 PM
Is it?Yes, it is. Vernon really gets underrated.

moon
06-19-2013, 08:01 PM
Is it?

Anything is debatable but as much as I love Freddy and had a blast cheering for him tough really say he has better than Kipper. 2nd best and a fun guy to cheer for but not a better goalie than Kipper.

So while some may try to debate it, it would be a pretty weak and one sided debate.

Kaine
06-19-2013, 08:13 PM
We can argue top 1 or 3 or 5 or whatever all we want. What I think we can agree on regardless of where someone might rate him is that he has carried this team on his back for many years and we have really be blessed to have been able to watch him in the flaming C for so long.

Dude is one of the all time greats for the Flames without a doubt.

nik-
06-19-2013, 08:14 PM
I would put Vernon as #1 and Kiprusoff behind him..

The only thing Vernon has over Kipper is the Ring. Kipper is a better goalie who played behind a lesser team.

Kipper is likely the best goalie the Flames will ever have, which is kind of depressing.

Northendzone
06-19-2013, 11:19 PM
Ciame in to post a comment about kipper retiring, leaving temporarily to work on my all time flames list....will be back soon

Jacks
06-19-2013, 11:36 PM
Anything is debatable but as much as I love Freddy and had a blast cheering for him tough really say he has better than Kipper. 2nd best and a fun guy to cheer for but not a better goalie than Kipper.
Oh c'mon now.

Cali Panthers Fan
06-19-2013, 11:37 PM
So long Kipper,

And thanks for all the fish!