PDA

View Full Version : Oilers Off Season

Pacem
05-28-2013, 11:00 PM
I took over the Oilers team part way thru last season and this is my first off season to put my stamp on the team. The team ended up finishing 29th overall. No where to go but up. The teams goal will always to be make the playoffs. It will be a tough battle to make that much of an improvement, but sitting at the bottom of the standings is not the way this GM wants things done.

Potential Roster thus far.

Sullivan - Berglund - Doan
M. Foligno - Dubinsky(RFA) - Zuccarello-Aasen
Skille (RFA) - Brodziak - Fedotenko(RFA)
Chipshura (RFA)- Komarov(RFA) - Bradley
xxx - xxx

Nikitin (RFA) - Regehr
Green - Blum (RFA)
Irwin (RFA) - Stralman (RFA)
xxx

J. Peters
xxx

Notable Free Agents

Nabokov (UFA)
Zidlicky (UFA)
Jake Dowell (RFA)

Not a deep roster by any means. Depending how free agency goes. There will be a lot of inexperienced players competing for roster spots. Blum and Irwin on defense. Komarov, Foligno, and Zuccarello-Aasen up front. These players likely wont re-rate well, but you have to play the players you have.

Moves made this off season.

Out: #2 overall
In: #6, #19, M. Greene, Brodziak

Having a high pick was a great asset to have this year. Wanted to move it, and decided I wanted to stay within the top 8 this year. Moved down 4 spots, and will get a prospect that I like at #6. Picked up the 19th overall which should net another good prospect. Adding two CPHL roster players was important. Looking at our potential roster we needed roster players at every position. Centre was a particularly weak position this season.

Out: Armia + 2nd rd pick
In: Dubinsky

I wanted another centre. I was forced to dress Doan at centre last season and I wanted to put him at his natural position on the wing next year. Only having 1 natural centre on the roster last season wasn't the best situation. The team needed to be better at winning face offs and getting another natural centre will help that. I talked to many GM's about getting a centre. There was a lot of interest in Armia. I have 3 firsts this year. I prefered moving Armia over a 1st this year. Receiving a centre that has 4 years of RFA contracts coming.

Notable Picks

1st round
#6, #19, and #26

2nd and 3rd rounds
#51, #62, #67, #82, #87

8 picks in the first 3 rounds (3 in the 1st round alone) should net the Oilers some quality prospects.

Da_Chief
05-29-2013, 07:33 AM
Get a goalie.

Goffie
05-29-2013, 07:56 AM
Get a goalie.

Yeah a definite hole in net. Fill that and you'll be much better.

Caged Great
05-29-2013, 08:07 AM
Don't over pay to acquire one though. There's usually an okay one available on the ufa market even if you over pay on a shorter term like signing Nabby for a 1 or 2 year deal at 9.99 per to make sure you have a goalie but aren't screwed by the grid. Seeing as you're rebuilding, I would place more emphasis on getting several quality prospect goalies in hopes that one turns out, or when you're starting to get better that you have the ability to use that prospect(s) to get a legit goalie.

Caged Great
05-29-2013, 08:22 AM
I would definitely recommend going into asset hoarding mode to try and get some useful prospects. Ditch anyone in the AHL that isn't on track to being an NHLer and find prospects that are doing good in their leagues. You can find young NHLers that cost nothing but the signing cost.

Personally I would buyout/release Archibald, Dibenedetto, Fritsche, Doyle, Kytnar, Armstrong, Jokinen, Endras, Tarkki, and Stajcer with a maybe trade/buyout of Serville as well.

Those guys will contribute nothing, but it will allow you to shop for guys that have better upside than those guys (they all have fled to Europe or are dead enders.)

Swayze11
05-29-2013, 08:31 AM
I heard Brian Elliot was available.

Da_Chief
05-29-2013, 08:45 AM
I would definitely recommend going into asset hoarding mode to try and get some useful prospects. Ditch anyone in the AHL that isn't on track to being an NHLer and find prospects that are doing good in their leagues. You can find young NHLers that cost nothing but the signing cost.

Personally I would buyout/release Archibald, Dibenedetto, Fritsche, Doyle, Kytnar, Armstrong, Jokinen, Endras, Tarkki, and Stajcer with a maybe trade/buyout of Serville as well.

Those guys will contribute nothing, but it will allow you to shop for guys that have better upside than those guys (they all have fled to Europe or are dead enders.)

You running two teams now?:confused:

Caged Great
05-29-2013, 08:47 AM
You running two teams now?:confused:

Giving friendly advice to someone that has a team similar to mine after the first year is all. I recall you giving me similar advice back then as well.

Pacem
05-29-2013, 12:36 PM
A goalie is a huge need for the Oilers. The way the team is currently structured a stop gap solution thru UFA or griding Nabokov might be the best way to go for the time being. Depends on how the rest of the off season goes.

I appreciate the tips. I have sent most of those players on the list their walking papers. I have only been paying attention to the possible RFA's and UFA's at the moment. The players requiring buy outs will be dealt with as the teams roster gets more finalized. Still need to fill an AHL roster with some sort of bodies, so I see no point in doing buy outs just yet.

MJK
05-29-2013, 01:12 PM
This thread has made me LOL.

Pacem
06-19-2013, 07:49 PM
The Oilers are happy to announce we have acquired Gabriel Landeskog.

We ended up moving 4 picks to get him.

#6, #26, #62 and finally #82 are headed to Anaheim.

Not much to say except, thank you Ravi.

MJK
06-19-2013, 08:19 PM
Good trade for Landeskog!

I wanna be like Miikka
06-19-2013, 08:55 PM
Great trade for landy! Been after the 6 for a while, this was a deal that just lets me have more fun at the draft.

TurdFerguson
06-19-2013, 09:35 PM
Seems like a good deal for both teams. If Ravi doesn't end up with whoever the Flames draft it sure won't be because of lack of effort.