PDA

View Full Version : Darryl Sutter Award

Da_Chief
05-09-2013, 08:38 AM
Darryl Sutter Award - an annual award given to the GM selected as the best 1st year GM as voted by the general managers of all CPHL clubs.

1st year GM’s, please raise your hand here so that you may be recognized

Deadline: May 17th, 2013

Daradon
05-09-2013, 09:50 AM
1st year GM - Montreal Canadians

Are we to give a little speech on why we think we deserve the award? Like POTW noms?

Cheese
05-09-2013, 09:56 AM
Lets see who else is 1st year...

Chicago - Tilley
Detroit - flamesfan6
Edmonton - Pacem
Montreal - Daradon
NJ - 3thirty??
SJ - GreenLantern
Toronto - Devo22
Vancouver - Mitch

miss anyone?

Daradon
05-09-2013, 10:00 AM
Wow, didn't realize it was that many. Thought there was four of us.

Da_Chief
05-09-2013, 10:02 AM

Are we to give a little speech on why we think we deserve the award? Like POTW noms?

Go ahead.

nickerjones
05-09-2013, 02:42 PM

What about a speech as to why you shouldnt deserve it?... here I'll do it... MTL got beat out of the playoffs by the Jets.

3thirty
05-10-2013, 08:42 AM
I am one of the few first year GM's that started in the previous off season and ran the team for the entire year. I was able to not only improve my prospect base to arguably one of the best in the CPHL, but also took my team into the second round of the playoffs after upsetting the Sens in the first round. The Devils missed the playoffs in the year prior to my takeover.

I believe 100% of my current roster was changed during my tenure as well from what I started with.

Daradon
05-10-2013, 09:52 AM
What about a speech as to why you shouldnt deserve it?... here I'll do it... MTL got beat out of the playoffs by the Jets.

I'd allow that only if you were a first year GM as well. As you are not, STFU, this has nothing to do with you! ;)

Mitch
05-10-2013, 09:53 AM
I've been in control of the Canucks for most of the season, and my slower approach to building this team might not warrant a nomination from a lot of people which is understandable. I feel like I've made the right decision in which direction this team will go and I think I have made trades that have put that direction into effect. I feel comfortable with the prospects I have accumulated and my assets should grow quite a bit in the next 2 seasons with the amount of draft picks I own.

Yes, I finished 4th last in the league and no, I have not always made the right trades/decisions. But with the amount of cheese I have going into next season, and the amount of expendable futures I have, I don't think it's out of the question that this team can not only be geared for the future, but some of the expendables I have on my roster can be used to swap for players that can help build a playoff team as soon as next year.

I feel good about my team going forward and feel it will be a better team then the one I came in with (with all respect going to Mango, it still had some very good assets that helped me acquire the assets I have now).

Good luck to all GMs!

nickerjones
05-10-2013, 10:13 AM
I'd allow that only if you were a first year GM as well. As you are not, STFU, this has nothing to do with you! ;)

Well I am the reigning Daryl Sutter award winner, so it does have a little something to do with me.

Daradon
05-10-2013, 10:46 AM
Well I am the reigning Daryl Sutter award winner, so it does have a little something to do with me.

Grumble grumble.

devo22
05-10-2013, 11:04 AM
I took over the Maple Leafs about a year ago, so I have been in charge of the team for some time now. Before I took over, the team finished 27th in the league - in my first season, the Leafs finished tied for 18th with a 41-37-8 record, only missing the postseason by a few points.

When I took over, the team wasn't in a really good shape TBH, and I feel I have been able to give the team a better basis for the future now, as I was able to add young pieces while also making sure that there are some good veterans on the team. We wanted to make the playoffs, but a jump from 27th to 18th is a nice improvement IMO.

And beside of that, of course, I'm just a pretty cool and likeable guy.

Pacem
05-10-2013, 06:33 PM
I took over the Oilers part way thru the year. I haven't done much with the team, I don't deserve a vote, lol

Daradon
05-13-2013, 09:53 AM
I believe I deserve strong consideration for the Darryl Sutter award for a few reasons.

I took over the Canadiens almost exactly at the 25% mark of the season. I quickly released a state of the franchise thread and jumped right into the trade market. In a league that encourages trading and activity I turned over about 35% of my roster in less than one full year.

I did my best to encourage rivalries, and while Montreal's two historical rivals (Boston, Toronto) weren't really in a position to be rivals this year I heated up a rivalry with Ottawa and the SE champs Winnipeg.

Even though I wasn't able to keep the cup run going, I did finish with 104 points, a total I believe exceeded my predecessors previous year, and just missed snagging the NE crown.

Lastly, and most importantly, I tried my best to be a full member of the CPHL. While not posting as much as a lot of the regulars and heavy hitters, I did my best to comment on most game threads, even if I was not playing, jumped in many discussion threads, and even started a few of my own. I hope a few of the threads I wrote from character perspective brought a laugh or two, I know I had fun writing them. I was an active member of the CPHL in both running my team and adding to the community. Now that I know how the league runs, I hope to do a lot more of this next year.

Vote for Daradon!

flamesfan6
05-13-2013, 06:26 PM
I joined late in the season, changed the roster a fair bit. So vote for me... don't vote for me....

Tilley
05-14-2013, 05:48 PM
I became the Blackhawks GM on day 149 of the 166 day season.

I would suggest that like a prospect that plays less than 26 games is still eligible for the Calder the following year, that I defer my nomination for the coveted Sutter award until next year when I may have more of an influence on my team.

If I should remain in contention for the award my short list of accomplishments as Hawks' GM:

- Maintain & clinch a playoff spot
- Add significant depth (Savard, Stempniak, Dwyer) for the playoff run
- Win the Quarterfinal round against a very good Calgary Flames team
- Take CPHL finalist Anaheim to the limit despite injuries to two defensemen

Daradon
05-17-2013, 01:03 AM
^^^ I would agree with that.

A good list of accomplishments as well though.

Da_Chief
05-17-2013, 08:59 AM
^ Not my call on that. Let the commishes decide, usually doesn't happen though.

Daradon
05-17-2013, 11:46 PM
Forgot to mention... In my trades I have picked up many names that should get a favorable rerate. Beauchemin, Howard, Winnik, possibly Brassard. In many trades that looked even or maybe even weak, my knowledge of the league proved to benefit me. Buying low, selling high, every trade of mine turned out very well after the initial swap.

3thirty
05-21-2013, 03:25 PM
I also added alot of players that should get favorable rerates.

Bryan Bickell, Cody Franson, Mark Letestu, Brendan Gallagher, Corey Crawford and prospects like Taylor Hall, Brayden Schenn, Cam Fowler, Taylor Hall, RNH, Brendon Dillon, etc.

With cap space and a lot of strong youth the Devils look to compete for the Cup as early as next season!