PDA

View Full Version : Girl Dies Choking on a Hot Dog at Wrigley

Bertuzzied
05-08-2013, 05:03 PM
Ugh. I wonder if they did the hug of life if she could have been save. What a crazy way to go.

At least her heart is going to a 14 year old girl.

A popular language arts teacher at a middle school in Chicago's South Suburbs — and a big Cubs fan — Oleskiewicz instituted spirit days at school, with students dressing up in the jerseys of their favorite teams. She and her younger brother, Martin Oleskiewicz, were ready to watch the Cubs from the bleachers Sunday when something went terribly wrong during a pregame snack.
Maureen suddenly slumped over and fell between rows of bleachers. Martin thought it was a joke at first. But by the time the national anthem was played, rescuers were performing CPR on his sister. The Chicago Tribune (http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/breaking/chi-wrigley-field-choke-20130508,0,5549966.story) reports:

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/mlb-big-league-stew/teacher-28-dies-choking-hot-dog-wrigley-field-211543867.html

Northendzone
05-08-2013, 05:33 PM
Yuck.....

FlamesAddiction
05-08-2013, 05:42 PM
That's really sad.

A lot of time when someone is choking, they are too embarrassed to make a scene and don't realize how quickly you can pass out.

I get it though, and I bet I am not alone here. I had a near-choking experience at a work lunch before and was starting to quietly panic because I didn't want to look like a fool. I started to walk to the bathroom and someone at the table noticed and stopped me. I was able to dislodge it without help, but I think I was close to being a statistic. It's something I still think about when I eat.

Flames_Gimp
05-08-2013, 06:47 PM
That's really sad.

A lot of time when someone is choking, they are too embarrassed to make a scene and don't realize how quickly you can pass out.

I don't think anyone is embarrassed when they can't breathe. Surprisingly A lot of people don't recognize the signs that a person is choking, and help in time.

The embarrassment comes when everyone is watching a huge piece of food fly out of your mouth :bag:

puckluck2
05-08-2013, 11:33 PM
That's really sad.

I get it though, and I bet I am not alone here. I had a near-choking experience at a work lunch before and was starting to quietly panic because I didn't want to look like a fool. I started to walk to the bathroom and someone at the table noticed and stopped me. I was able to dislodge it without help, but I think I was close to being a statistic. It's something I still think about when I eat.

You are not alone. I've choked on my food before and I was a embarrassed as well. Luckily I got up and I was ok. Last time I try eating while laying on the couch.

CaptainCrunch
05-08-2013, 11:42 PM
When I was about 10 I started choking on a hot dog at Grandma's place, I do remember not being able to breath or talk, and my family was yaking away and not paying attention so in a panic I jumped up and ran out of the room. My dad picked up on it right away and wrapped his arms around my chest in a untrained attempt at the Heimlich. Anyways he reefed me up and basically did the squeeze and promptly cracked two of my ribs. he did it a second time and I remember that my vision as pin prick wide. But he managed to do it right the second time and a chunk of dog launched across the room and I remember crying my eyes out from the pain and the fear.

Anyways they took me to a doctor and he said there wasn't much I could do.

They took me home and I remember that I was still terrified and in a lot of pain and they put me to bed, and I was crying every time I tried to breath.

Then my Grandma came downstairs with the old country German cure. a water glass half full of Kirsch water which is about 40 proof cherry liquor. She helped me slug it back and then turned out the lights and I slept for about 18 hours.

Those German's know their medicine.

pylon
05-09-2013, 09:54 AM
CC choking on wiener, there's a joke in there somewhere......

Hair bleach and Vodka
05-09-2013, 10:17 AM
Aye, I understand the danger of choking. I still vividly remember struggling and panicking to dislodge a larger piece of candy or something and if it wasn't for my Mum.. yeah, scary.

Her brother's gotta be just devastated. :(

Sliver
05-09-2013, 10:42 AM
I don't think anyone is embarrassed when they can't breathe. Surprisingly A lot of people don't recognize the signs that a person is choking, and help in time.

The embarrassment comes when everyone is watching a huge piece of food fly out of your mouth :bag:

It seems counter-intuitive to be embarrassed, but it's a common reaction. I once briefly choked on a potato at my aunt's house. My first instinct was to get away from the table out of embarrassment. The motion of me getting up dislodged the potato, but had it not my plan was basically to go to a corner and die, which is completely ######ed. Panic coupled with embarrassment can make you do really dumb things, apparently.

CaptainCrunch
05-09-2013, 10:45 AM
CC choking on wiener, there's a joke in there somewhere......

Combining it with the whole spit thing makes it hilarious

Kipper is King
05-09-2013, 11:02 AM
I wonder if she was able to make that international signal for choking of crossing her hands across her neck? Would that have helped people identify what was happening to her more quickly? How sad.

CaptainCrunch
05-09-2013, 11:09 AM
In a blind panic people are lucky if they can remember to point at their throat.

Bobblehead
05-09-2013, 11:14 AM
I knew a guy who, shortly after graduating university, choked on his food and and passed away. He was discovered by his girlfriend who wanted to know why he stood her up. I can't imagine the horror of that discovery.

MacDaddy77
05-09-2013, 11:37 AM
I wonder if she was able to make that international signal for choking of crossing her hands across her neck? Would that have helped people identify what was happening to her more quickly? How sad.

she's a cubs fan, they've been making that sign for decades:whistle:

horribly tragic though,

Bertuzzied
05-09-2013, 12:06 PM

Some EMT guys went on and said if you are choking your first step is to face someone and give the symbol you would to a Canucks fan in the deciding game of their playoff series.

Reaper
05-09-2013, 12:12 PM
Some EMT guys went on and said if you are choking your first step is to face someone and give the symbol you would to a Canucks fan in the deciding game of their playoff series.I don't see how giving a potential rescuer the finger would help save your life.

Bertuzzied
05-09-2013, 12:13 PM
I don't see how giving a potential rescuer the finger would help save your life.

No thats what you give them the other 364 days a year.