PDA

View Full Version : Canada cleaning up at the Olympics!

HOZ
08-23-2004, 07:14 PM
Good to see that Canada is cleaning up in the main events like Syncronized diving, trampoline <_< and Artistic Gymnastics. Are the competitor in Artistic gymnastics the geeks of the Gymnastic world? Shoved into lockers, wearing black all the time, laughed at? ;)

Seriously I saw Kyle Shewfelt's gold performance and my memory of the event it was once called the "FLOOR ROUTINE" not artistic....

Gymnastics has way too many medals given for it. First there is the team all-around where all members of the team do all of the apparatus for a 'team' score. Then we have the individual all-around....then the individual/separate apparatus and 'Artistic' medals and correct me if I am wrong but I beleive their is a team medal for each apparatus.

Time to cut out the fat.

Which sports would you drop from the Summer Olympics?

My personal favourite, even before syncro-swimming (now team event), is the Dancing-Horsey thing with fools in tophats. :blink:

CaramonLS
08-23-2004, 07:26 PM
How about 1/3rd of the swimming races? theres about 10 different variations of the same event, maybe with a couple of different strokes or stroke combination and distance.

Scynonized diving? I honestly didnt realize this was an olympic sport until this year, what a joke. Scyncro swimming is enough of a joke, but diving? wow... ######ed.

And yeah you are right HOZ, Gymnastics should be toned down a bit (and to answer your question about Shewfelt getting beat up by other gymnists, I don't know, but I know that he got the crap kicked out of him by all the other kids.).

JiriHrdina
08-23-2004, 07:28 PM
Personally I would do away with any judged sport. I have a real problem with a sport where an official literally decides who wins - figure skating, diving, gymnastics, etc - gone. Boxing - gone too. Anything synchronized - gone.

If I have to wait for some judge to tell me who won then I'm not interested.

Fuzzy McGillicuddy
08-24-2004, 12:18 AM
At least Canada has more medals than John Kerry. :rolleyes:

monty_
08-24-2004, 12:36 AM
I agree, way too many events, especially in swimming. Way to many different distances, medley's, strokes, etc.

I would cut syncro diving, table tennis, and a bunch of the swimming events.

I'm not a big fan of judged sports either, they never seem fair, but gymnastics, diving, figure skating, etc. are some of the most popular events.

calgaryred
08-24-2004, 01:19 PM
I would cut out ping pong and beachball volleyball

calf
08-24-2004, 01:21 PM
Originally posted by calgaryred@Aug 24 2004, 01:19 PM
I would cut out ping pong and beachball volleyball
Whoa whoa whoa.

You'd cut beach volleyball????? (not beachball).

Cut the mens, yes...but you are certifiably insane if you'd cut the women's. INSANE I tell yaz.

calgaryred
08-24-2004, 01:23 PM
It's a dumb sport.

calf
08-24-2004, 01:31 PM
Originally posted by calgaryred@Aug 24 2004, 01:23 PM
It's a dumb sport.
How so?

I respect your opinion, just creating some conversation, basically.

I think it's great - teamwork, it's athletic, it's head-to-head competition, it's not judged (except for in or out), there's no artistic portion.

calculoso
08-24-2004, 01:34 PM
He's obviously never played beach volleyball to get an appreciation for it.

Ping pong at the Olympics is insane. I can't believe how fast those people move.

Cutting either would be a mistake.

I_H8_Crawford
08-24-2004, 01:36 PM
Originally posted by calculoso@Aug 24 2004, 07:34 PM

Ping pong at the Olympics is insane. I can't believe how fast those people move.

Cutting either would be a mistake.
I have a problem with doubles ping pong... seriously 2 people to cover one half of a table????? :unsure:

I think beach volleyball is a great sport; it takes a lot of skill and endurance to play that game, the people who play it are a hell of a bunch of athletes. Keep it for sure.

RougeUnderoos
08-24-2004, 02:15 PM
I think beach volleyball is pretty goofy as well.

And the swimming -- yeah there are about 9000 medals. Cut all the races where you can't go as fast as possible. There were protests over crap like "he dolphin kicked a little bit there you can't do that" -- what the hell is that about, it's swimming not gliding.

Inferno
08-24-2004, 02:36 PM
Originally posted by calculoso@Aug 24 2004, 02:34 PM
I've never played it and I have an appreciation for it.

kipperfan
08-24-2004, 05:58 PM
Why is beach volleyball a dumb sport, cause you dont play it? Or cause you dont like it??

What a iggnorant thing to say, every athlete on the beach is world class, and amazingly talented, there are probably 10 events at the olympics that require less talent and skill.

What about steeple chase, or trampoline, softball, sailing, synchro swimming or synchro diving ot those events stupid too? Or do you play those sports??

As for the topic at hand..............

The first thing to be cut should be steeple chase, followed closely by syncro swimming, like honestly, has anyone in the past 50 years ever dreamed of being a steeple chaser?

I have respect for pretty much every event in the olympics and its competitiors, whether I like it or not, all EXCEPT for the steeple chase. Just think about, its like horse jumping, w/o the horses:

Guy:"Hey man nice Olympic gold medal, what did you get it for?"
Steeple Chaser:"oh this.....yeah I got this for hoping some jumps and running moderatly fast around a large loop, I missed the water trap, that was big, I really took it to those other 7 horses errrrrrrrrrrrrrrr men"

RougeUnderoos
08-24-2004, 06:26 PM
The problem I have with beach volleyball is that it's such a "made-up" sport. It wasn't a sport not-so-long ago but now it is. I'm not saying the athletes aren't world class or anything of the sort. It just seems almost "fake". Where is the surfing, bodybuilding and frisbee if this recreational beach activity is suddenly an Olympic sport?

The women wearing bikinis while the men wear regular gear does not help it's cause either.

I actually played beach volleyball recently so maybe that helps my case?

I don't know the history of the steeplechase but I'm sure it goes back a long way. How many people in the last 50 years dreamed of being a beach volleyballer?

kipperfan
08-24-2004, 07:03 PM
Yeah I wont claim to know the history either, but I bet it goes back 300 years!!!

Fact is that is is outdated as hell, im sure it was a sport ONCE, but so was jousting, and thats no olympic sport.

Fact is though, nothin will get taken away from the games. I figure we may as well use it to our (canadians) advantage. I think we should forget about swimming, diving, sprinting, rowing, boxing, sailing etc. Just focus on the olympic "sports" that no one plays anymore. Lets get our steeple chase program going, in 4 years well have all the medals up for grabs medals their, our handball program could use a boost, noone seems to care about rythmic gymnastics anymore, I know we can teach some hockey players to twirl ribbons, and balance colorful balls on different orfacis(sp?) of their body.

Krackt420
08-25-2004, 03:49 PM
Anyone see the Olympic speed walking finals??

Holy crap, I almost shat myself laughing. I got nothin' but love for any and every athlete that goes out there and represents their country...but for real...has anyone actually watched an Olympic speed walking race? It's a sight to behold.

calf
08-25-2004, 04:33 PM
Originally posted by Krackt420@Aug 25 2004, 03:49 PM

Holy crap, I almost shat myself laughing. I got nothin' but love for any and every athlete that goes out there and represents their country...but for real...has anyone actually watched an Olympic speed walking race? It's a sight to behold.
I saw that in 2000.

Did anyone get DQ'd this year? That's funny - and they make such a big deal out of it too. "OMG!!! THEY DIDN'T USE PROPER WALKING TECHNIQUE!!!" :lol:

I-Hate-Hulse
08-25-2004, 04:47 PM
Originally posted by Krackt420@Aug 25 2004, 03:49 PM

Looks like the World's Largest Field Sobriety Test :D I'll be even more amused if they have to touch their nose and recite the alphabet.

(ahhh Police Quest games.... how I miss you)

calgaryred
08-25-2004, 06:06 PM
Originally posted by calf+Aug 24 2004, 12:31 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (calf @ Aug 24 2004, 12:31 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-calgaryred@Aug 24 2004, 01:23 PM
It's a dumb sport.
How so?

I think it's great - teamwork, it's athletic, it's head-to-head competition, it's not judged (except for in or out), there's no artistic portion. [/b][/quote]
I see beach volleyball a sport of skill and eye candy. Personally I believe most people that watch the sport watch the bodies more than the skill. I have no problem saying these athletes are skilled and are in good shape. I just don't see the merit why it deserves to be an olympic sport. It's a craze on the beach that grew momentum. It's my opinion. I'm pretty confident it's a keeper.It's exactly what the IOC wants. Notice the stands are full. I'ts an eye candy sport and it does well for the olympics. Suprisingly Ping Pong gets a full crowd as well. While gymnastics has empty bleachers.

kipperfan
08-25-2004, 06:35 PM
Originally posted by calgaryred+Aug 26 2004, 12:06 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (calgaryred @ Aug 26 2004, 12:06 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>Originally posted by calf@Aug 24 2004, 12:31 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-calgaryred@Aug 24 2004, 01:23 PM
It's a dumb sport.
How so?

I think it's great - teamwork, it's athletic, it's head-to-head competition, it's not judged (except for in or out), there's no artistic portion.
I see beach volleyball a sport of skill and eye candy. Personally I believe most people that watch the sport watch the bodies more than the skill. I have no problem saying these athletes are skilled and are in good shape. I just don't see the merit why it deserves to be an olympic sport. It's a craze on the beach that grew momentum. It's my opinion. I'm pretty confident it's a keeper.It's exactly what the IOC wants. Notice the stands are full. I'ts an eye candy sport and it does well for the olympics. Suprisingly Ping Pong gets a full crowd as well. While gymnastics has empty bleachers.[/b][/quote]
To me, if an event is a show of physical ability(unlike bridge!), and their is enough support around the world, not just on 1 continent, then it should be a olympic sport. What else can we judge the merit of olympic events on, if not public interest?

Table 5
08-26-2004, 10:47 AM
Originally posted by RougeUnderoos@Aug 25 2004, 12:26 AM
The problem I have with beach volleyball is that it's such a "made-up" sport. It wasn't a sport not-so-long ago but now it is. I'm not saying the athletes aren't world class or anything of the sort. It just seems almost "fake".
i know where you're coming from, but hey, all sports have to start somewhere. A century ago, hockey and soccer were "made-up" too no? These are the times we live in, and the sports themselves evolve. Besides, beach vollleyball is very popular, and god knows the Athens Olympics need as many fans as it can get.

Personally, I really enjoy a lot of the newer and/or less exposure sports in Olympics these days.....the short-track speed skating, and kieren ( sp? ), handball, waterpolo etc

RougeUnderoos
08-26-2004, 12:33 PM
Originally posted by Table 5+Aug 26 2004, 10:47 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Table 5 @ Aug 26 2004, 10:47 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-RougeUnderoos@Aug 25 2004, 12:26 AM
The problem I have with beach volleyball is that it's such a "made-up" sport. It wasn't a sport not-so-long ago but now it is. I'm not saying the athletes aren't world class or anything of the sort. It just seems almost "fake".
i know where you're coming from, but hey, all sports have to start somewhere. A century ago, hockey and soccer were "made-up" too no? These are the times we live in, and the sports themselves evolve. Besides, beach vollleyball is very popular, and god knows the Athens Olympics need as many fans as it can get.

Personally, I really enjoy a lot of the newer and/or less exposure sports in Olympics these days.....the short-track speed skating, and kieren ( sp? ), handball, waterpolo etc [/b][/quote]
That's true -- they have to start somewhere. Still though beach volleyball just seems so, I don't know, pre-fabricated maybe.

The fact that the women have to wear bikinis bothers me as well. Don't get me wrong I like seeing hot chicks wearing bikinis but it's got nothing to do with sports.

Flame Of Liberty
08-26-2004, 02:45 PM
Originally posted by calgaryred@Aug 26 2004, 12:06 AM
Suprisingly Ping Pong gets a full crowd as well.
Many people can relate to table tennis because they play it themselves, its not hard to have a game or two with your friends. But really how many of you synchronically dive with your friends? Its a joke not a sport. Same goes for trampoline and the like.

And hands off Women`s beach volleyball ;)

Wookie
08-27-2004, 01:23 AM
Originally posted by kipperfan@Aug 24 2004, 05:58 PM
Why is beach volleyball a dumb sport, cause you dont play it? Or cause you dont like it??

What a iggnorant thing to say, every athlete on the beach is world class, and amazingly talented, there are probably 10 events at the olympics that require less talent and skill.

What about steeple chase, or trampoline, softball, sailing, synchro swimming or synchro diving ot those events stupid too? Or do you play those sports??

As for the topic at hand..............

The first thing to be cut should be steeple chase, followed closely by syncro swimming, like honestly, has anyone in the past 50 years ever dreamed of being a steeple chaser?

I have respect for pretty much every event in the olympics and its competitiors, whether I like it or not, all EXCEPT for the steeple chase. Just think about, its like horse jumping, w/o the horses:

Guy:"Hey man nice Olympic gold medal, what did you get it for?"
Steeple Chaser:"oh this.....yeah I got this for hoping some jumps and running moderatly fast around a large loop, I missed the water trap, that was big, I really took it to those other 7 horses errrrrrrrrrrrrrrr men"
Wow I don't agree with you, but that was definitly the funiest post I've read in awhile.. :):)