PDA

View Full Version : Murderless Meat

Looger
07-13-2005, 08:35 AM
http://www.newsdesk.umd.edu/scitech/releas...?ArticleID=1098 (http://www.newsdesk.umd.edu/scitech/release.cfm?ArticleID=1098)

In a paper in the June 29 issue of Tissue Engineering, a team of scientists, including University of Maryland doctoral student Jason Matheny, propose two new techniques of tissue engineering that may one day lead to affordable production of in vitro - lab grown -- meat for human consumption. It is the first peer-reviewed discussion of the prospects for industrial production of cultured meat.

ewwwwww...

bonnakins
07-13-2005, 11:37 PM
I don't understand how something like meat grown in a lab in sheets could be concidered "healthier" for consumption, despite the claims that it will not contain antibotics and pesticides. We really need to take a look at farming today if this is the alternative.

FireFly
07-13-2005, 11:44 PM
Originally posted by bonnakins@Jul 13 2005, 11:53 PM
I don't understand how something like meat grown in a lab in sheets could be concidered "healthier" for consumption, despite the claims that it will not contain antibotics and pesticides. We really need to take a look at farming today if this is the alternative.
And yet, we're going to grow human body parts in a lab, and that's okay? Why the hell not? Growing body parts is apparently 'healthier' for the human who gets them, why should meat be any different?

4X4
07-13-2005, 11:47 PM
HA HA!

I scoff at the idea that eating meat is murder. If that were the case, I'd be Canada's latest & greatest mass murderer (however inadvertant).

OK, I admit that I didn't read the article. I just checked to see if it was short enough for my attention span to read. It wasn't, so I skip straight to the murderless part mentioned in the title of this thread. Do they actually say murderless in the article? If so, what a joke. I forgot where I was going with this. Probably toward another PETA jab.

evman150
07-14-2005, 12:07 AM
I really dislike vegetarians.

Really.

Otto-matic
07-14-2005, 12:32 AM
So eating meat is murder?

What about vegies? Are we not killing them by up rooting them and eating them or stopping the growth of life in the plants?

Cheese
07-14-2005, 05:37 AM
frick...Im glad Ill be dead by the time you guys are eatimg this crap daily. Genetically design beef and the Cows will take over the world. Smells funny to me! <_<

Looger
07-14-2005, 08:45 AM
didn't mean to imply the murder thing, it was kind of a denis leary reference.