PDA

View Full Version : Iggy discussion for the CPHLers

Da_Chief
03-28-2013, 05:40 AM
What a player. I wanted a trade and a re-build and its happening but I did choke up yesterday.

Never had him in this league cuz Ravi's been hoarding him for a long time. Maybe now.

Love this video. After Kipper is gone the 2004 run will be put away for good.
DZUV7jMW3P4#!

I have no idea what we got back, some of you follow college hockey more closely though so give us some reports.

Some of my favorite Iggy moments:

-Iggy's slapper 50th goal vs Hawks, the only player to score 50 that year.

-Obviously the playoff run and fighting Vinny in the finals.

-Setting up Crosby for the winner.

-First game when we got Olli and they clicked, he was super happy.

Gonna miss our Iggy, hopefully he's back in the off-season.

Cheese
03-28-2013, 06:16 AM
I liked Iggy...always thought he was a great player, but not the superstar many purported him to be.
He disappeared for long stretches and many times when he did catch fire it was when others were also going strong.
Great shot
Great person
Great captain and leader
Wont cheer for him in Pittsburgh...hate the Pens.

I would have been happier with him going to my second fave team...Boston.

Caged Great
03-28-2013, 06:41 AM
I've always thought of Iginla as the best possible secondary player that you could find. He has always reminded me of a slightly better version of Brendan Shanahan. Shanahan couldn't win you a cup on his own, but pair him up with someone better like Yzerman, and you've got a winner.

Iggy's never had a primary player to look up to till now.

3thirty
03-28-2013, 06:45 AM
What a crazy night. Even though we knew it would happen when he was a scratch I wasn't that emotional until the reports started comign out that it was Boston, when Ward said it was official my heart sank, and then I go to sleep and wake up to my tsn trade centre alarm telling me he was a penguin.

I want Jarome to wina cup and don't mind the penguins, but if they were upset in the 1st round my flames fan side would be thankful for the better pick.

PS I have Hanowski I just realized, 1st round pick for him Ravi...;) lol jk

devo22
03-28-2013, 06:48 AM
I have been on the "trade him and rebuild" train for a very long time, but seeing it really happen was way more emotional than I had thought. Seeing him in another jersey will be tough, especially because I have never liked the Penguins.

I want him to win a cup because I truly think he deserves his name on it, but I'd rather see him win it in 2014 (don't care with which team). In 2013, I hope the Penguins crash out in round 1 (sorry Iggy), giving us a pick somewhere between 15 and 22.

dsavillian
03-28-2013, 07:56 AM
It'll be fun to see Iggy play some meaningful games in the next couple of months...

MJK
03-28-2013, 10:19 AM
Blah Blah Blah. Iginla was the face of the franchise for a long time and the management could never build a team to suppot him the way it should have. Listening to that fat f^ck Feater in the press conference really made my blood boil. Feater took over this franchise and what has he done? Flames havent made the playoffs in 3 years and now they finally decide to make some deals and the very first trade is Iginla. Feater is a douchbag and a bad GM and the way he has handled this team since coming here has just been bad.

FAIL.

Flickered Flame
03-28-2013, 12:02 PM
Unfortunately the owners and Ken King should have allowed this move to take place 2 years ago but instead they decided to sacrifice future assets by trying to load up and win it all when this team was more than one or two pieces away from being an actual contender. Blame Feaster/Sutter but this, imo, rests on the shoulders of the ownership and president.

KevanGuy
03-28-2013, 12:30 PM
I'm on the same page as the two-years-ago crowd. And honestly, at this point, Im just glad they got something for him. I never thought he should just retire a Flame, to me, who cares? Keep the asset going.

Cheese
03-28-2013, 12:31 PM
^^^ completely agree....2 - 3 years too late

Daradon
03-28-2013, 07:55 PM
I'm just focusing on the happy for now. Going to love to watch him in Pittsburg.

I actually was at the game, his second of all time, where he scored his first goal. Game 4 vs Chicago in 95 I believe? 96? Anyway, I've been a fan right from the beginning and this will hit me hard, but knowing that he has a very good chance in Pittsburg and gets to play with Crosby sure takes the sting off.

I wanna be like Miikka
03-28-2013, 09:09 PM
I'll definitely miss Jarome on the team but it was a move that needed to be done. I am interested to see what you guys think about the return. My initial thought is it is OK but likely should have got a conditional 2nd (condition being we get it if the Pens make the finals). Maybe this the price for a 35 yo rental but some worse rentals in previous years got a bit more (Kaberle for example). It is tough to compare between years. Either way since we waited 2-3 years to trade Jarome, the return on his trade was never going to save this franchise. The more important step will be who we get with the first round draft pick from our own team this year, will we get Mackinnon at #3 or go on a random streak and finish with an 8-10 pick.

RT14
03-28-2013, 11:20 PM
I don't like the return that much but we're dealing with Jarome Iginla here and I understand why everything went down the way it did. The rumored Bos return was only slightly better and I really like him landing in Pitts because;

A) I think Pittsburgh gives him the best shot at the cup this year, and

B) Think the chances of re-signing in Pitts are almost nil due to their contract situations heading into next year. Bos may have had a shot at it.

Which leads to why I don't mind the return, I think his plan as it sits right now is to re-sign in Calgary this off-season. If that is the plan, the return beyond a 1st was gravy because this season is done and we could have him back in a few months anyways.

This could turn into one of the best moves ever by a Flames GM, but if he re-signs long term somewhere else I will hate this trade forever.

Best of luck to Jarome and the Penguins in 2013!