PDA

View Full Version : Mark Tewksberry

northernflame
08-23-2004, 12:46 PM
Last week sometime I was watching CBC Prime TIme Olympic Coverage when Mark Tewksberry came on and commented on the sorry state of our national swim team.

He has a point, granted.

Still, I am not sure I liked the timing of it ...

The Olympics are there for the current crop of Athletes, and by that I mean the competition and the experience of it.

I think the whole rant about the sorry state of Swim Canada could have been left until after the Olympics. Yes, speaking out during the current Olympics has the greater immediate impact, but I still don't agree with it.

Thoughts?

Table 5
08-23-2004, 12:49 PM
its a perfect time to speak out. the whole nation has its gaze on the games these two weeks, and are therefore much more willing to discuss the topic. if this was disccussed in a non-olympic year, it would pass by without anyone knowing.

besides, im sure the athletes would support the changes that many of these outspoken people are calling out for.

northernflame
08-23-2004, 12:53 PM
"its a perfect time to speak out. the whole nation has its gaze on the games these two weeks, and are therefore much more willing to discuss the topic. if this was disccussed in a non-olympic year, it would pass by without anyone knowing."

Yes, perfect time for maximum exposure. Agreed.

My thought was that, as an athlete, no matter if I agreed with the content of what he was saying, I would prefer my moment in the sun not to be tarnished.

Selfish perhaps, but that is what I would feel nonetheless.

Table 5
08-23-2004, 12:57 PM
well its not like the spotlight is completely on him....he came into say his two cents and thats about it. these didscussions come up all the time, and there are always different players involved.

when its time to perform however, the spotlight is always on the athletes. i dont think any athlete out there would really think Tewksburry is taking away their sun.....how much light they get is pretty much up to them.

Cowperson
08-23-2004, 12:59 PM
I might be speaking out of turn but it seems to me Canadians only care about most amateur athletic pursuits - and medals - at times like this.

Its easy for a government to abandon the field and not support our athletes with excellent coaches and facilities when they're out of sight, showing up only every four years in the only venue where Canadians might notice them en masse.

So now is a great time - even for the athletes there - to scream and yell.

Secondly, with the Olympics coming up in Whistler and after a great performance in Salt Lake by Canada (third or fourth overall in medals I believe), I would imagine this country will maintain a focus on winter sport funding.

Cowperson

northernflame
08-23-2004, 01:07 PM
I would agree that now is a great time for strategic purposes. Absolutely.

But personally, I wouldn't like it as an athlete - and I can't imagne I am the only one who would feel that way.

What if, during the Stanley Cup final (that magical time for fans and players alike), the Flame's ownership group had threatened to move the Flames unless season ticket sales increased.

My two cents anyway.

By the way, Tewksberry gave up his Gold Medal in a hissy fit some years back, didn't he?

Just wondering if I remember that correctly.

calgaryred
08-23-2004, 01:23 PM
I kinda remember something like that. I just remember Mark coming out of the closet and the world is like and.... it's not like we didn't know. It's sad to see the summer sports getting weaker for Canada again. It's not like we didn't see this coming though.

northernflame
08-23-2004, 01:59 PM
[I]"I kinda remember something like that. I just remember Mark coming out of the closet and the world is like and.... it's not like we didn't know. It's sad to see the summer sports getting weaker for Canada again. It's not like we didn't see this coming though. "[/I

Good points.

Actually - and this will date me somewhat - there was a time when Mark & I were pretty good friends. Way back in our junior high and high school days ... everybody knew back tnen, so it should't have surprised anybody when he decided to be upfront about things.

I was watching the men's 100 meter final on Saturday and was drinking in the excitement. For a brief moment I was back in Atlanta, and before that in Seoul, getting pumped for a Canadian medal.

Will be watching that gorgoeous Perdita race tonight for sure ...

habernac
08-23-2004, 02:29 PM
It needed to be said. Loudly. I also saw a piece on Alex Baumann, our multiple gold medal winner from the 80's. He wanted to be a part of the coaching system for Canada and was rebuffed. So he moved to Australia and now helps coach their elite swimmers. Good job, Swim Canada....

:angry: