PDA

View Full Version : Comeau / Horak

BigRed
02-06-2013, 02:28 PM
Can someone explain to me why Blake Comeau continues to dress while Roman Horak plays in the minors? Horak has twice the hockey sense and defensive awareness that Comeau does, and even in a fourth line role would add an element that Comeau can't -- skill. I don't buy that playing 9 minutes a night would hinder his development. Blake Comeau hurts us with his epic suckage.

At least, that's my opinion.

What does the coaching staff see between the Comeau and Horak that makes Comeau a regular, and Horak not? Anyone? I'm bamboozled.

Phanuthier
02-06-2013, 02:29 PM
I would guess the fact that one has a 1-way contract, and the other has a 2-way, factors in.

dissentowner
02-06-2013, 02:31 PM
OP, do you have enough quotes in that sig?

Imported_Aussie
02-06-2013, 02:33 PM
And Comeau is there as a 4th line, checking, PK forward.
His replacement would be a like for like replacement - as in he could be sat for Begin, and may be gone if Bouma was fit.
Horak is a top 9 forward, the thought is playing him outside of his projected role may hinder his development.
if more of the top forwards were playing on the PK, I would think that it would become possible Jackman/Begin + one more skilled guy would play beside Jones on the 4th, if the team felt that the development of said skill player would not be set back

kyuss275
02-06-2013, 02:40 PM
I kind of understood why they kept Comeau at the start of the season over Horak. Comeau last year was one of the few forwards that would take a player out of a play with a finishing check. This team needs a player like that. The problem is Comeau is not doing that this year.

Vinny01
02-06-2013, 02:42 PM
Better to let Horak develop playing big minutes for the Heat than turn him into a 4th line forward at the NHL level. Horak will eventually be a regulara NHLer but he has top 6/9 upside and playing big minutes on the farm at 21 will better groom him to hit his ceiling.

Comeau can also throw a hit once and a while when he feels like it.

Phanuthier
02-06-2013, 02:47 PM
Better to let Horak develop playing big minutes for the Heat than turn him into a 4th line forward at the NHL level. Horak will eventually be a regulara NHLer but he has top 6/9 upside and playing big minutes on the farm at 21 will better groom him to hit his ceiling.

Comeau can also throw a hit once and a while when he feels like it.
I might have bought that if Hartley didn't play Baertchi on the 4th line...

KOgear
02-06-2013, 02:59 PM

Those are important quotes, so he can hold people acccountable if the prediction comes true and they will have to eat whatever they said they would.

Erick Estrada
02-06-2013, 03:23 PM
I would guess the fact that one has a 1-way contract, and the other has a 2-way, factors in.

End of thread. Hartley barely plays the 4th line in the 3rd period of games so it's probably best for Horak to play top line minutes in the AHL.

Vinny01
02-06-2013, 03:25 PM

It was 1 game

hurtin_albertan
02-06-2013, 03:31 PM
I agree, Comeau does absolutely nothing out there. He lost whatever scoring touch/skill he might have had on the Island a long time ago, and it's obvious that it either wasn't ever there or isn't coming back. He doesn't fight/hit/agitate. He's not a specialty "win a big faceoff" center, nor is he anywhere near above average defensively for that matter. In fact last night in Detroit he couldn't clear the puck on the PK to save his life and it cost the Flames a goal on one occasion.

I am bamboozled as well, no idea why he was signed.

Phanuthier
02-06-2013, 03:34 PM
It was 1 game

Ok

Erick Estrada
02-06-2013, 03:49 PM
I'm just glad the days of Comeau on the 2nd or even 3rd line are over.

Enoch Root
02-06-2013, 03:52 PM
I'm just glad the days of Comeau on the 2nd or even 3rd line are over.
knock on wood - there will be injuries

hkstylez
02-06-2013, 03:58 PM

Doesn't mean jack ****. With Hudler and Cervenka back in the line up, where else are you going to slot Baertschi. You can't slot a guy who had been hot the first couple games in Stempniak on the 4th line, and there's no way in hell Hartley would place your top guys down there unless they are really struggling.

I'd rather have Horak and Byron getting over ripped and having to play top minutes down in the minors than playing 4th line minutes.

Not only that, Baertschi is by far better than Horak, Horak needs to work hard to compete for a spot in the line up while Baertschi almost had it handed to him because he is currently the best prospect the Flames have thus far.

blankall
02-06-2013, 04:35 PM
Comeau has been averaging 8 minutes per game. He's getting over a minute per game in SH time. He's thrown more hits per minute of ice time than the other forwards, with the exception of Jackman and Begin. In other words, Comeau has been a very solid 4th liner.

The 170lbs Horak is a finesse player who would not play well on the 4th line. Apples and oranges.

BigRed
02-06-2013, 10:44 PM

Do now.

AC
02-06-2013, 11:00 PM
Do now.
Can you shrink the font size at least?

The guidelines say a signature image should be 150px tall and your block of quotes takes up at least 3 times that amount. It ends up being really distracting when trying to read a thread, and unlike a signature image I can't selectively block it with AdBlock.

To Be Quite Honest
02-06-2013, 11:07 PM
Or spoiler it. So it stays close a little longer. Grows in our minds a little longer. Stays fresh a little longer. Longer with Big Red.

Ozy_Flame
02-07-2013, 12:15 AM
People still haven't disabled quotes in their profile settings yet? Holy batman.

Mister Yamoto
02-07-2013, 12:38 AM
What does Horak offer other than youth?

The big story from training camp last season wasn't how great he looked but just that he stuck around. Then he looked OK for about the first month, invisible by Christmas and back to the Heat by February. This season same thing, good first month then poor play.
He has not proven he belongs like say TJ Brodie.

Five-hole
02-07-2013, 12:53 AM
People still haven't disabled quotes in their profile settings yet? Holy batman.

Or sigs, for that matter.

playmaker
02-07-2013, 07:34 AM
The 170lbs Horak is a finesse player who would not play well on the 4th line. Apples and oranges.

agree ... If Comeau gets injured they'd most likely consider calling up Aliu or Bancks.

The situation may be a bit frustrating for Horak, Byron, and other skilled guys from the Heat as Flames are now small, soft and skilled enough upfront.

In fact, guys like Aliu and Bancks may be frustrated as well - I believe they're more than capable of the 4th line duties and they both play tougher than Begin or Comeau.

OzSome
02-07-2013, 10:21 PM
I won't disagree with you on your Comeau's assessment but Horak got caught on a numbers game right now. It is easy to send Horak down to Abby than Comeau. Although i don't really care if we lose the guy on waiver but he is useless. He does not have a hockey sense at all. I still can't figure out how this guy scored more than 10 goals a few season ago and suddenly don't know what to do with the puck. I would rather see Jones, Jackman and Begin on the 4th line and just sit Comeau.
I thought Horak improved his play this season in the AHL. He just doesn't focus on playing defensive style of hockey and he's not afraid to make mistakes.

doctajones428
02-08-2013, 03:17 AM
With Cammy and Backlund hurt, and hopefully seeing Comeau waived, I wouldn't mind:

Tanguay - Stajan - Iginla
Hudler - Horak - Cervenka
Glencross - Byron - Stempniak
Begin - Jones - Jackman

Stajan shown a glimpse last year that he can play well on the top line, The Czech Connection would have great chemistry and would be a very uptempo line, Byron would excel playing with two all around players in Glencross and Stempniak who play a similar style, all 3 can also throw the body to an extent, and of course the energy fourth line that can steamroll you and chuck knuckles if needed

Trailer Fire
02-08-2013, 04:48 AM
With Cammy and Backlund hurt, and hopefully seeing Comeau waived, I wouldn't mind:

Tanguay - Stajan - Iginla
Hudler - Horak - Cervenka
Glencross - Byron - Stempniak
Begin - Jones - Jackman

Stajan shown a glimpse last year that he can play well on the top line, The Czech Connection would have great chemistry and would be a very uptempo line, Byron would excel playing with two all around players in Glencross and Stempniak who play a similar style, all 3 can also throw the body to an extent, and of course the energy fourth line that can steamroll you and chuck knuckles if needed

Where does Sven factor in once healthy? Byron goes down, Tanguay or Iggy to C and Stajan back to third line? Glencross up on 1st line and Sven on third?

Glencross - Tanguay - Iginla
Hudler - Horak- Cervenka
Baertschi - Stajan - Stempniak
Begin - Jones - Jackman.

? I don't like seeing Sven with Stajan, no matter how well he is playing.

BigRed
02-08-2013, 07:05 AM
You have to think Cervenka will move to his natural spot at C at some point soon, especially given the injury situation now.

Basically, if Cammalleri and Backlund are out, your 1 and 2 C's are Stajan and Cervenka.

I don't know how comfortable I am with that.

Vinny01
02-08-2013, 08:40 AM
If Backlund and Cammy are out next game this is what I would want

Glencross-Tanguay-Iginla
Cervenka-Horak-Hudler
Byron-Stajan-Stempniak
Begin-Jones-Jackman/Comeau

Comeau is not a top 9 forward he is terrible in anything other than a checking/PK role.

Byron brings speed and Horak can play center so I think that is what Hartley should consider.

Roof-Daddy
02-08-2013, 08:43 AM
Good to see some people mentioning Byron. I still haven't given up on him yet, and would like to the speedy little guy play in this new up tempo, puck possession system.

Stay Golden
02-08-2013, 09:28 AM
If Backlund and Cammy are out next game this is what I would want

Glencross-Tanguay-Iginla
Cervenka-Horak-Hudler
Byron-Stajan-Stempniak
Begin-Jones-Jackman/Comeau

Comeau is not a top 9 forward he is terrible in anything other than a checking/PK role.

Byron brings speed and Horak can play center so I think that is what Hartley should consider.

Comeau is awful i wish they would put him on waivers and send him down.
Bring up some size instead of Byron. He just got pushed around in board battles way too often and resulted in some key turnovers in the Flames own end. Why get smaller, We are already the smallest team in the NHL i believe?

Vinny01
02-08-2013, 09:32 AM
Byron is small but not afraid to throw hits and is very fast. He is better suited for a top 9 role than anyone else on the farm except Horak

Flames Draft Watcher
02-08-2013, 09:33 AM
Comeau has been averaging 8 minutes per game. He's getting over a minute per game in SH time. He's thrown more hits per minute of ice time than the other forwards, with the exception of Jackman and Begin. In other words, Comeau has been a very solid 4th liner.

Horak isnt exactly a finesse player who would not play well on the 4th line. His strength is even better this year and while he may not hit as well as Comeau he'd be as effective battling along the boards and in front of the net.

Horak is just a much better player overall. More skilled, more intelligent, as fast and as strong as Comeau. I wished we hadn't signed Comeau, IMO Begin has supplanted Comeau in the lineup. Playing Comeau on a line higher than the 4th is a tragedy, he brings down offensive players. Horak and Jones can much more readily play on a 3rd line.

Stay Golden
02-08-2013, 09:47 AM
Byron is small but not afraid to throw hits and is very fast. He is better suited for a top 9 role than anyone else on the farm except Horak

Byron is fast and good stick handler that is about all he offers. Unless he is a different player than last season. I don't think he offers much more than that at the NHL level.
In the AHL he is probably just fine for that game.
BTW what the hell has happen to Alui i thought the Flames had plans for the kid as a physical agitator on the 4th line.

GreenLantern
02-08-2013, 10:13 AM
Fact: Leland Irving has more points in 2 games than Comeau has in 7 games.