PDA

View Full Version : Backlund - FO%

Dienasty
02-03-2013, 12:55 PM
60% on the face-offs last night and you put Stajan on the ice? Come on Hartley. Stajan, lost the face off at center ice, had a chance to clear the puck that hossa kept in the blue line, then to add insult to injury, he wasn't anywhere near the TWO hawks standing wide open in the slot. Please play backlund the guy was a beast again yesterday. Once again him and hudler were the two best forwards on the ice.

Coach
02-03-2013, 12:59 PM
Backlunds been great. I'd like to see Sven slot in with him once he's back and see how they do.

Jbo
02-03-2013, 12:59 PM
Probably could have gone in the PGT

Cleveland Steam Whistle
02-03-2013, 01:00 PM
Oh jeeze. Wasn't the face off at centre ice? Stajan was over 50% last night anyway and he's been good on the defensive side of the puck, more so than Baclund IMO. Good choice by the coach.

Knut
02-03-2013, 01:00 PM
Stajan @ 54% on the season. Backlund @ 46%

Vulcan
02-03-2013, 01:22 PM
More news, the Flames are slightly over 50% in faceoffs. This team is improving.

Enoch Root
02-03-2013, 01:24 PM
More news, the Flames are slightly over 50% in faceoffs. This team is improving.
14th overall right now.

But that's just because the opposition has been tired

Pierre "Monster" McGuire
02-03-2013, 01:27 PM
Backlund's short time in Sweden has given him new life. He looks great right now. He's been one of the best forwards since Game 1.

So happy Feaster didn't give up on him after last year's injury plagued season. I think he can be a solid young forward for the Flames in the future.

Captain_Obvious
02-03-2013, 01:40 PM
He looks a lot more mature out there. In the past he's looked like a boy and this year he's looking like a man.

That said, he and Glencross need to spend 2 hours a day - every day this week- shooting pucks at at empty net over and over and over.

It's killing me seeing these two guys miss the net so much.

IgiTang
02-03-2013, 01:44 PM
Yep, Backlund needs to be given more responsibility to help grow his self-confidence. Just like he said he "needs to be more cocky". If the coach puts you in important situations, that says he knows he can depend on you.

Yesterday, 30 seconds left the puck is going to the corner and I see Hudler chasing it down. I know the guy has been incredible but honestly, hes not the best defensive choice for that situation. Hartley is making some strange decisions. I love the system, i love the effort, now lets start seeing smart coaching. You go with Glencross, Stempniak and Backlund in that situation. If need be, call a timeout to rest those 3.

taxbuster
02-03-2013, 01:50 PM
Yep, Backlund needs to be given more responsibility to help grow his self-confidence. Just like he said he "needs to be more cocky". If the coach puts you in important situations, that says he knows he can depend on you.

Yesterday, 30 seconds left the puck is going to the corner and I see Hudler chasing it down. I know the guy has been incredible but honestly, hes not the best defensive choice for that situation. Hartley is making some strange decisions. I love the system, i love the effort, now lets start seeing smart coaching. You go with Glencross, Stempniak and Backlund in that situation. If need be, call a timeout to rest those 3.

I can understand wanting Hudler out there in that situation: maybe the best puck handler we have. Not sure that the others would have ended up in any different position though, sigh.

Enoch Root
02-03-2013, 01:50 PM
I agree with IgiTang.

Hard to figure why Hudler was out in the last 30 seconds.

Also, how is a guy alone in the slot with 2 seconds left? THere should have been 5 Flames collapsed in front of the net making it difficult to get a shot off.

ricardodw
02-03-2013, 02:31 PM

The last minute goals are not scored on line rushes or fancy passes. They are all about fighting for position and knocking the other guy over.

You can kind of figure out who Chicago's 6 men will be on the ice:

Toews 6' 2" 208
Hossa 6' 1" 210
Sharp 6' 1" 199
Kane 5' 11 185
Keith 6' 200
Seabrook 6'3" 221

The Flames ONLY line up that could possible match up Physically

Glencross 6' 1 197
Iginla 6' 1 210
and the centre unless it is for a defensive zone faceoff has to be Jones at 6' 2 216 anybody else is going to get run over by Hossa and Toews.

Backlund seems to be way stronger and bigger this year but right now it is a toss up between him and Stajan and both are physically over matched by most teams big Centres. (toews, Kopitar, Thorton, Kesler, Koivu,

The defence is a huge problem in that Bouwmeester at 6' 3" 212 and Gio / Wideman at 6' 200 are our biggest d-men (Sarich nominally bigger).

Bouwmeester just plays so much smaller. I think the Flames should go with Wideman and Gio in their goal-line defense.

Itse
02-03-2013, 03:10 PM
No way Hartley should have put Glencross in for the last seconds, the guy had been terrible all night.

You could critique that Hartley didn't go with some fresher legs there though. (Hudler had just been on the ice for the last goal for example.) However, coaching is always easier after the fact.

you got PHANUEFED
02-03-2013, 03:46 PM
Backlund has been a real suprise so far looks like he has finally taken that step forward he's shooting alot more and his compete level has been raised to a hole new level.

Roof-Daddy
02-03-2013, 04:01 PM
Backlund will be in either the AHL or KHL by the start of 2014.......book it.

Not my prediction BTW

cznTiburon
02-03-2013, 04:08 PM
60% on the face-offs last night and you put Stajan on the ice? Come on Hartley. Stajan, lost the face off at center ice, had a chance to clear the puck that hossa kept in the blue line, then to add insult to injury, he wasn't anywhere near the TWO hawks standing wide open in the slot. Please play backlund the guy was a beast again yesterday. Once again him and hudler were the two best forwards on the ice.

you realize that the puck actually deflected off his stick and went onto hossa's.. he was in the right position he just had bad luck, like the entire team..

IgiTang
02-03-2013, 04:08 PM
The defence is a huge problem in that Bouwmeester at 6' 3" 212 and Gio / Wideman at 6' 200 are our biggest d-men (Sarich nominally bigger).

Bouwmeester just plays so much smaller. I think the Flames should go with Wideman and Gio in their goal-line defense.

Quite Valid points on size being an issue, but this comment rings so true and it makes me shake my head or "bottle my mind" like some of you guys say, I still dont get that BTW. LOL

But as im saying in the other thread about about death for seth or some crap like that... Im saying Bouwmeester at $6.68Mm and playing so small is a waste of money. You need to have someone who can control the front, make people pay and think twice about going after loose pucks there.

Vinny01
02-03-2013, 04:54 PM
Glencross-Backlund-Stempniak is a fast line with scoring potential. Ideally Sven can play with the Czechs when he comes back even though I have liked Stajan in that roll. Play Stajan with Jones and cycle Comeau, Jackman, Begin on the left side

OzSome
02-03-2013, 05:37 PM
That's how confidence will do to the player. The last few season his confidence was so low that he was afraid to make mistake and get the Wrath of Sutter once he gets to the bench. This season Hartley is encouraging him to go to the net and even be creative.

Heavy Jack
02-03-2013, 06:46 PM
I'm starting to see that Calgary definitely needs to add size to the back end the more games I am starting to see. If we could upgrade Butler in some way with a harder nosed player who can play a top 4 role I'd be happy.

Size up front isn't as big of a problem in my mind if we can continue to out-skate the opposition like Calgary did last night.

Husky
02-03-2013, 07:04 PM
I'm starting to see that Calgary definitely needs to add size to the back end the more games I am starting to see. If we could upgrade Butler in some way with a harder nosed player who can play a top 4 role I'd be happy.

Size up front isn't as big of a problem in my mind if we can continue to out-skate the opposition like Calgary did last night.

I dont think its an issue. Right now the Flames need their top line to produce. We have pretty much be in every game without Iginla/Cammalleri scoring.

Heavy Jack
02-03-2013, 07:08 PM
I dont think its an issue. Right now the Flames need their top line to produce. We have pretty much be in every game without Iginla/Cammalleri scoring.

Exactly. When Iggy and Cammy finally get going I think we will be able to string some wins together... let's just hope they don't wait for too long here.

Where ru Chris O'Sullivan
02-04-2013, 05:17 AM
Backlund will be in either the AHL or KHL by the start of 2014.......book it.

Not my prediction BTW

The lockout may have saved "young" Backlund a reprieve until Sep. 2014. He'll put up 20+ points this year and CP will pro-rate that to 40ish in a full season.

He still looks soft on the puck, he does seem a bit more confident and luckily playing over (nm, where he belongs) in the SEL2, his conditioning is above some of the other players. We'll really see where he's at after the first 10 games of the season, when the rest of the players have removed their rust.

Textcritic
02-04-2013, 05:28 AM
The lockout may have saved "young" Backlund a reprieve until Sep. 2014. He'll put up 20+ points this year and CP will pro-rate that to 40ish in a full season.

He still looks soft on the puck, he does seem a bit more confident and luckily playing over (nm, where he belongs) in the SEL2, his conditioning is above some of the other players. We'll really see where he's at after the first 10 games of the season, when the rest of the players have removed their rust.
Where ru Chris O'Sullivan: "Never mind that I set the goalposts up here, they have now since moved significantly and my prediction should be reinterpreted accordingly."

You're ridiculous. Backlund has looked much, MUCH stronger on the puck this season than last year. The bottom line here is that he ALREADY was an NHL player before the season began, and he is continuing to improve. Even if he has benefitted some from gained "confidence," "luck", a leg up in "conditioning", and even if he is not very strong on the boards or on the puck, he is STILL a legitimate NHL player, and will not be relegated to Minor pro this year at any point this year or next.

IgiTang
02-04-2013, 08:11 AM
Anyone who thinks Backlund needs to be moved or/and thinks he isnt NHL caliber is out to f***in lunch.

ricardodw
02-04-2013, 08:48 AM

Hannan was top 4 and would have definitely been on the ice in the last minute of a one goal game. He signed a 1 year 1M deal with Nashville and is playing 22 minutes a game on a team that is currently in a playoff spot.

Nashvile also has 2 other d-man at over 225 with Weber and Gil.

They also have dress McGratton for a couple of games.

Gaustaud, Fisher and Wilson all centres over 215

The Nashville team is the anti-Flames ..... It would be a great theoretical match up..... talented smurfs against lumbering tough guys..... in a seven game series I would think Nashville would win.

This would seem to be an ideal trading partner for the Flames as Nashville is not scoring many goals

Buff
02-04-2013, 09:30 AM
Backlund has been a force out there this season. He has been very good on the puck and makes stuff happen. He has had a bit of bad luck the past two games, as he shot a few great chances wide of the net. Perhaps he and Wideman should trade last names, because Backlund has the recent knack to shoot the puck wide, man.

Street Pharmacist
02-04-2013, 09:59 AM
Hannan was top 4 and would have definitely been on the ice in the last minute of a one goal game. He signed a 1 year 1M deal with Nashville and is playing 22 minutes a game on a team that is currently in a playoff spot.

Nashvile also has 2 other d-man at over 225 with Weber and Gil.

They also have dress McGratton for a couple of games.

Gaustaud, Fisher and Wilson all centres over 215

The Nashville team is the anti-Flames ..... It would be a great theoretical match up..... talented smurfs against lumbering tough guys..... in a seven game series I would think Nashville would win.

This would seem to be an ideal trading partner for the Flames as Nashville is not scoring many goals

Neither are the flames...

Goodlad
02-04-2013, 10:05 AM
Neither are the flames...

We're 14th in goals/game. Nashville is dead last in the league.

ricardodw
02-04-2013, 10:17 AM
We're 14th in goals/game. Nashville is dead last in the league.

The Flames are not scoring goals because they have no grit and the Preds because they have no skill and puck moving D-men.

rohara66
02-04-2013, 11:24 AM
Backlund appears to be Mathew Lombardi 2.0

Lots of skating skills and seems to move the puck around good but has absolutely zero finish…. I hope I’m wrong but seriously he needs to start burying some pucks.

Machiavelli
02-04-2013, 11:35 AM

Lots of skating skills and seems to move the puck around good but has absolutely zero finish…. I hope I’m wrong but seriously he needs to start burying some pucks.

I don't see a lot of similarities.

Backlund has much better hands and hockey sense. Yes, he has had trouble scoring in the past but it wasn't a lack of skill holding him back. Plus, two goals already this season is pretty good.

Lombardi was a better skater and that's about it.

I've always been a Backlund skeptic but he's not a Lombardi 2.0

dammage79
02-04-2013, 11:42 AM
I am so disappointed that Backlund has not become our Claude Giroux.....

Seriously, Backlund is much better this year and it is nice to see he is at the very least in a scoring position compared to a season ago where he would just drift away from the front of the net. Really like his game this year.

Flames Draft Watcher
02-04-2013, 12:28 PM

Lombardi had very little playmaking ability. He was extremely fast and thus could generate some breakaways for himself but other than that was not a consistent offensive threat. He played much smaller than Backlund is playing this year.

Backlund is a much better passer, is better at cycling, and possesses much better hockey sense. He shows up in front of the net more than Lombardi did. He and his line have been fairly consistent at generating scoring chances.

I think Backlund is well on the way to becoming a solid 2nd line centre. Faceoffs could use some work still. He's made a lot of strides this year.

TheGrimm
02-04-2013, 01:18 PM

I'd be happy to ship Butler back to Buffalo for Regehr, straight up.

I agree, we really could use a guy who plays smart physical hockey back there.

MisterJoji
02-04-2013, 01:30 PM
I'd be happy to ship Butler back to Buffalo for Regehr, straight up.

I agree, we really could use a guy who plays smart physical hockey back there.

That would be awesome. Regehr is a shell of his former self but he would be a bottom pairing guy and could sit in the press box if need be. But Buffalo owes us 2nd rounder for giving them "cap relief" (Kotalik karma).

vilzeh
02-04-2013, 01:31 PM
Exactly. When Iggy and Cammy finally get going I think we will be able to string some wins together... let's just hope they don't wait for too long here.

...If they get going at all. :whaa:

genetic_phreek
02-04-2013, 01:52 PM
Lombardi had very little playmaking ability. He was extremely fast and thus could generate some breakaways for himself but other than that was not a consistent offensive threat. He played much smaller than Backlund is playing this year.

Backlund is a much better passer, is better at cycling, and possesses much better hockey sense. He shows up in front of the net more than Lombardi did. He and his line have been fairly consistent at generating scoring chances.

I think Backlund is well on the way to becoming a solid 2nd line centre. Faceoffs could use some work still. He's made a lot of strides this year.

I agree, plus we have to keep in mind that Backlund in my opinion should be getting time on the powerplay. I'm sure if that was the case, his point production would probably be higher.

SuperMatt18
02-04-2013, 03:18 PM
I agree, plus we have to keep in mind that Backlund in my opinion should be getting time on the powerplay. I'm sure if that was the case, his point production would probably be higher.

That was one thing that really stood out to me in the last two games.

Backlund was generating a ton of chances but just did not get to see any ice on the PP. That will really limit his offensive potential this season.