PDA

View Full Version : Critiquing Bob Harley's 4-on-3 powerplay

SebC
02-03-2013, 07:37 AM
While I'm generally like what Bob Hartley's been doing so far, I have to say I didn't like the system the Flames used on last night's 4-on-3 powerplay.

Here's why:

The Flames set up in in a diamond in front of the net. Essentially this functions as a 3-man umbrella with a screener in front of the goalie. While the passing lanes between the point man and the outside players in the umbrella are open the shooting lanes these three players had can be (and were) permanently blocked by the three defenders. There's no available passing lane to the guy in front of the goalie because those passing lanes and the shooting lanes are the same.

Here's what I'd suggest instead:

Instead of a diamond, how about a rectangle? Two point men high, and fairly close together, a forward on either side of the net slightly wider. Four disctinct shooting lanes that can't all be covered. Work the numerical advantage.

Thoughts?

Bertuzzied
02-03-2013, 07:41 AM
How often would this scenario happen. I rather they just screen the goalie and have Wideman and Babchuk blast away from the point hoping to the get the rebound.

Itse
02-03-2013, 07:45 AM
I doubt Hartley has had much time to think about our 4-on-3 powerplay so far. I would however say that he had the right guys on it.

Young One
02-03-2013, 07:46 AM
I think the rectangle is what Sutter did. No?

Bertuzzied
02-03-2013, 07:48 AM
I think the rectangle is what Sutter did. No?

Yup. NO ONE in front of the net so the goalie sees every shot like it's practice.

edn88
02-03-2013, 08:06 AM
Bob Hartley was not on the ice executing the power play.

Anduril
02-03-2013, 08:22 AM
Bob Hartley was not on the ice executing the power play.

I would have to go with this.

Slava
02-03-2013, 08:28 AM
You're critiquing a PP that very nearly scored to end the game, and probably was barely touched upon so far this season?

transplant99
02-03-2013, 08:32 AM
Is Hartley even responsible for the PP? For some reason i was under the impression that was a responsibility of Gelinas.

Northendzone
02-03-2013, 11:40 AM
I am assuming that the 4 on 3 is likely not practiced a lot yet.

Personally I'd rather see them run an oval - sometimes ya gotta dare to be different

kirant
02-03-2013, 11:48 AM
It looked a lot like the 4-on-3 PP of last year. I suspect Hartley's work on it has been minimal given how different the 5-on-4 PP looks when it's set up.

MyFlamesFirst
02-03-2013, 11:51 AM
Im pretty sure Gelinas is the Powerplay guy.

ricoFlame
02-03-2013, 11:53 AM
The powerplay in general has been a positive...this is the first time in years that it has been able to get across the blueline and set up with some form of regularity.

hkstylez
02-03-2013, 11:54 AM
So are we gonna be making a thread about what/ who we hate every time the flames lose? like really? wow...

browna
02-03-2013, 12:01 PM
Chicago was tired, and collapsing down low all game, PP or ES.

Having just two Flames on the outside and just two down low wouldn't have been enough IMO. Given that Emery was making a lot of first saves, the more bodies the Flames had lower, the better, to be able to bang in rebounds and/or have an extra set of sticks and skates to deflect off of (as Wideman's goal was clear proof of).

TurnedTheCorner
02-03-2013, 12:04 PM
http://street-bob.motorcycle-blog.fr/images/articles/1167.jpg

TurnedTheCorner
02-03-2013, 12:06 PM
How about a rhombus?

http://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0042/9942/products/rhombus_det_1024x1024.jpeg?165

Enoch Root
02-03-2013, 12:38 PM
The strategy used is irrelevant, IMO. Any strategy can work or fail, and none are better than any of the others (talking about teh strategies at the NHL level).

The issue - and the key to success - is execution. For me, everything comes down to movement and causing the D to get out of position. The Flames are, far too often, stationary on the PP.

The diamond would work fine if they moved around and tried to create 2 on 1 situations.

While I am ranting about the PP, I also think the Flames don't generate enough speed in the neutral zone. Yes, there are times when it's good to slow things down, but the Flames ALWAYS slow it down. They need to put more pressure on the defense with a) speed, and b) more movement in the offensive zone

browna
02-03-2013, 12:48 PM
^ The Flames haven't had a guy that could properly gain the zone, speed or not, powerplay or ES, since the sweet hands of Bertuzzi left.

Jokinen was ok at it, as he used pure speed, but it always looked a bit out of control.

ricoFlame
02-03-2013, 01:01 PM
How about a rhombus?

http://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0042/9942/products/rhombus_det_1024x1024.jpeg?165

that's funny

IgiTang
02-03-2013, 01:50 PM
Gaining the zone... Thats the problem at this point. Once gained, they managed to setup. They manage chances. They are not good at gaining the zone.

cDnStealth
02-03-2013, 01:55 PM
Except Hudler and Cervenka know how to properly enter the zone. They put on a clinic last night on how to break into the zone with speed.

indes
02-03-2013, 02:02 PM
Except Hudler and Cervenka know how to properly enter the zone. They put on a clinic last night on how to break into the zone with speed.

Its not even hard, if you start before our red line instead of standing still waiting for a pass ><

Northendzone
02-04-2013, 08:15 AM
for the record, i love the rhimbus, even though I suggested the oval......

kirant
02-04-2013, 09:11 AM
Hudler and Cervenka bring an element of creativity to the team. In this sense, they're very similar to what Jokinen was for much of last year, being able to move the puck in so many different ways.

Beer-gut Murray
02-04-2013, 10:55 AM
Gaining the zone has been a longstanding issue with this team for a while in my opinion. I see a major improvement this year. Heck, even our D has been contributing. Brodie, Smith, JBo, and even Butler (last game) execute this very well. Joker figured it out only in the last season and a half. Prior to this he was a nightmare. I don't think he could even gain the neutral zone some seasons. In fact, I hated him for this. When he graduated from Datsyuk College, he finally had it figured out.

Though I do agree the finesse and chemistry of those two Czech twins we have is really helping.