PDA

View Full Version : Can the Flames go the whole 48 game season without a Fighting Major?

ricardodw
01-31-2013, 10:03 PM
Only NHL team currently without a Fight Major.

Detroit (historical pacifist) has 4!! nobody but the Flames without at least 2 fighting majors.

Last in League in Hits...

Traditional_Ale
01-31-2013, 10:06 PM
Fighting for the most part I think is stupid. When two guys not known to fight come up out of the corner or whatever embroiled in the heat of the moment and start swinging it is really awesome. But other than that...meh.

bugsy
01-31-2013, 10:07 PM
Yeah bit early to take alot of stock out of that, but lack of physicality and nastiness notable for sure.

Stay Golden
01-31-2013, 10:35 PM
the Flames are weak in corners. Rarely do they even body anyone as a team and are allowing their goalie to knocked around.

2013 Flames are High on the physical suckage meter.

Winsor_Pilates
01-31-2013, 10:41 PM
I don't much about fights, but we are extremely weak physically.

While watching the game tonight, I was thinking about who actually throws lots of hits on this team and Sarich is the only player I could think of.
A gritty agitator who throws the body around a lot would be great for this team.

Stay Golden
01-31-2013, 10:43 PM
It used to be a sense of pride that the Flames were at least a tough team.
This has been embarressing no fights, and very little hitting even.
Scums after whistles are not even occurring.

Huntingwhale
02-01-2013, 08:00 AM
It's probably for the best no one fights. Dont' want another ''Ivanans'' incident on our hands.

Derek Sutton
02-01-2013, 08:11 AM
How about a good hit? has anyone rocked anyone good this year? The players are so uniterested out there it is pathetic. Lazy players making lazy plays, playing like they don't care, not willing to engage. Of course no one is going to fight. Also probably the least physical team in the league, mainly because they can't keep up skating wise with most of their competition. This is not a good mix for winning or for entertainment.

SuperMatt18
02-01-2013, 08:16 AM
The Flames are soft this year, people should probably get used to this new softer style of play.

Honestly I don't think we need a thread after each loss stating how the Flames are soft? I'm sure this could have fit in the two other threads you made.

Roof-Daddy
02-01-2013, 08:16 AM
I'm glad the Flames don't have any real useless enforcer types.

I agree we don't have enough overall toughness though. What this team needs is a Lucic/Clowe/Hartnell type winger. A guy that has that size/toughness factor but can still fit into a skill game as well.

Calgary4LIfe
02-01-2013, 08:17 AM
The Flames have no swagger. They need physical guys, and a guy that can play and will drop the mitts (and be a bit more successful than Jackman) goes a long way towards that. This team is just too weak physically.

ricardodw
02-01-2013, 08:30 AM
The Flames have become an incredibly easy team to play against.

They have morphed into Hockey's version of the harlem globe trotters. Interesting to watch but not anywhere close to being able to compete with an NBA team.

When the Flames were forced to sign Begin it was an admission by Feaster/Hartley that they were not ready to compete at the NHL level.

Once the Flames get tired of fancy passing any other team can knock them over and drive towards the Flames net.

Despite the high light reels on sports centre 80% of NHL goals are based on fighting for space , deflections and winning physical battles in the area in front of the goal...... ie hard work rather than skill.

The Flames have far more skill than they have had in at least the last 10 years.... Hudler, Backlund Cervenka added to Tanguay and Cammalleri Stajan and I now have to admit it softer Iginla as softer skilled forwards leaves Glencross, Jackman and Begin to provide ALL the grit.

Wideman is >>>>>>>>>>>>>>> more skilled than Hannan who he replaces

Sarich is mentioned as being the Flames physical force on defence...... 2013 Sarich is not..... He is slow and non-aggressive. He joins Bouwmeester and Brodie and Smith and Butler, Gio and Wideman as total non-aggressive d-man.

The total of all Flames d-men have 19 hits in 5 games!!!!

For comparison Emelmin has 32 hits in 6 games. There are 13 individual defencemen that have as many or more hits as the whole Flame defence.!!!!!

Thank goodness this team will not be in the playoffs because in a seven game series when the other team wanted to impose their will on the Flames it would be a massacre.

badger89
02-01-2013, 08:46 AM
No. Iggy will lose it on someone at some point. /thread

Puppet Guy
02-01-2013, 08:47 AM
I hope not.

ricardodw
02-01-2013, 08:49 AM
The Flames are soft this year, people should probably get used to this new softer style of play.

Honestly I don't think we need a thread after each loss stating how the Flames are soft? I'm sure this could have fit in the two other threads you made.

Just like they have gotten used to missing the playoffs?

As to you not liking my threads...... It was clearly labelled as a thread to discuss how soft the Flames were and my name was there as the OP... so you knew what this was about and you not only looked in on the thread but you took the time and effort to make a post.

There are a bunch of fan boys on CP who believe that all things are good because these after all are the Calgary Flames. They can post how great the Flames and how much improved they are and how they are all great players..... They are quick to "win" any discussion by calling non-fan boys out as Trolls and Haters.

kyuss275
02-01-2013, 08:49 AM
There will be fights. I really don't care at all though. The last thing the flames need is to give the oposing team a chance at a PP. Flames PK is god awful.

SuperMatt18
02-01-2013, 09:21 AM
Just like they have gotten used to missing the playoffs?

As to you not liking my threads...... It was clearly labelled as a thread to discuss how soft the Flames were and my name was there as the OP... so you knew what this was about and you not only looked in on the thread but you took the time and effort to make a post.

There are a bunch of fan boys on CP who believe that all things are good because these after all are the Calgary Flames. They can post how great the Flames and how much improved they are and how they are all great players..... They are quick to "win" any discussion by calling non-fan boys out as Trolls and Haters.

I agree with you and have since the offseason. We were bothing stating that this team was too soft.

Just don't think we need an identical thread to the one about keeping Kipper safe, technically that was the exact same discussion and was still on the first page.

If we make a new thread after every game the Flames play soft this season their will be 48 threads about how the Flames are a soft team.

kirant
02-01-2013, 09:26 AM
I couldn't care less about whether or not the Flames engage in a fight again. Most fights are for really dumb reasons these days.

What I wouldn't mind seeing is the Flames develop a team that can be both skilled and physical. They used to hold the former in spades as a blue collar hard working team, but now have gone to the polar opposite. The amount of grit isn't there and the Flames struggle to break out of their zone against teams with aggressive forechecking or when they are pinned on the boards.

Stanley
02-01-2013, 09:30 AM
I have a feeling there's gonna be a beat down this Saturday...

bubbsy
02-01-2013, 09:41 AM
i dono't think fight's would have changed any outcome of the game.

if you bring up hits (which are unreliable stats due to their subjectivity anyways), sure, one could make the argument that the flames are physical enough. However, i don't know if that's caused losses in itself either.

Watching hudler/cervanka/stajan play and be successful, it isn't about overpowering physicality, it is smart-quick puck pressure/pursuit on the forecheck.

Outside of the periods the flames failed to even show up this season, i haven't seen the team being pullied or rag dolled every shift. of course the periods where they didn't show up, they were rag dolled all over the place.

Bertuzzied
02-01-2013, 10:01 AM
Do you think the Wings would take Butler for Tootoo?

We are so butlersoft it's sad.

Stay Golden
02-01-2013, 10:04 AM
The Flames seem to be content playing soft. Not much pride.

Tinordi
02-01-2013, 10:08 AM
I'm tired of fighting.

Stay Golden
02-01-2013, 10:52 AM
I'm tired of fighting.

i'm tired of losing. The Flames have in past seasons much better results in the W/L column when they have fought.

CaramonLS
02-01-2013, 12:38 PM
We are 30th in the league for player size (fact).

This has been a theme since Jay decided to take over. God help us if we even sniff the playoffs, there is no way we can stand up to any of the physical teams in the West. LA would destroy us in a 7 game series.

We're actually kind of lucky we aren't in the East with Philly, NYR and Boston. But we will have our hands full.

Feaster has successfully built a ringette team.

It isn't just the fights, it is the battling, compete and physicality.

MyFlamesFirst
02-01-2013, 12:40 PM
If Iggy doesn't score soon, he will start throwing. He likes being the leader of this team.

Stay Golden
02-01-2013, 12:44 PM
We are 30th in the league for player size (fact).

This has been a theme since Jay decided to take over. God help us if we even sniff the playoffs, there is no way we can stand up to any of the physical teams in the West. LA would destroy us in a 7 game series.

We're actually kind of lucky we aren't in the East with Philly, NYR and Boston. But we will have our hands full.

Feaster has successfully built a ringette team.

It isn't just the fights, it is the battling, compete and physicality.

What baffles me even more than Feaster's assembly of this team is Weisbrod. This crap would not be tollerated by fans media or ownership in Boston where he was hired from.
Weisbrod knows you can't build a soft small team and expect to be successful.

Southside
02-01-2013, 12:52 PM
The answer is in that room.

Southside
02-03-2013, 03:29 PM
Jackman answers the question ... that is all.

Yoho
02-03-2013, 03:40 PM
Toughness is one thing I agree is always needed, but the first place Pens have 2 fighting majors this season.

Vulcan
02-03-2013, 03:50 PM
If Iggy doesn't score soon, he will start throwing. He likes being the leader of this team.

I'd rather see him throw a body check instead of waving his stick at the puck.

Machiavelli
02-03-2013, 04:06 PM
Jackman answers the question ... that is all.

Not very well.

Southside
02-03-2013, 06:23 PM
^^ That's right. He answered the question, not the call.

Badger Bob
02-03-2013, 07:41 PM
Fighting for the most part I think is stupid.

It's probably for the best no one fights.

I'm glad the Flames don't have any real useless enforcer types.

I couldn't care less about whether or not the Flames engage in a fight again. Most fights are for really dumb reasons these days.

I'm tired of fighting.

What, in the name of Tim Hunter?

puckluck2
02-03-2013, 11:11 PM
That Jackman fight was terrible. I don't see the excitement in a hockey fight. 99% of them are hugging matches.

I'd love if they banned fighting. Taking the biggest headshot out of the game can only be a positive.

Vulcan
02-04-2013, 01:12 AM
I got to feel for Jackman. He's got the toughest job in sports and he hardly gets to win. He'd be fine as a secondary tough but as the main guy, nope.

If we had a winning fighter, I think a lot more fans would enjoy it.