PDA

View Full Version : Early Season Individual Stats

FlamesAddiction
01-30-2013, 09:00 AM
Looking at the early season stats, there are a few players really standing out.

I guess Patrick Marleau is the big one that comes to mind. Over the course of an 82 game season, he would be projecting to 191 points. Ok, I know... it's only 6 games and it is extremely unlikely that he would maintain that pace, but over a 48 game season, a start like this can go a long way into earning him some awards at the end. I also watched a few of those San Jose games this season, and it's not like he is getting "easy" points. He is really playing well. Over the past 2 seasons, he has been a player that fans often mentioned as someone the Flames should target.

Other surprises:

Daniel Winnik. This guy has always been a good energy player, but he is getting a lot of points early in the season. I am sure he won't maintain the pace, but he sure has been fun to watch.

Zack Kassian. Four goals to start the season to Hodgson's 3. Way too early to judge that trade, but I was hoping for worse for the Canucks.

Cory Conacher. A 23 year old, small, undrafted rookie - currently in the top 10 for scoring. He was a big producer last year in the AHL and seems to be carrying off at the NHL level.

On the flip side, guys like Smyth and J. Jokinen are still pointless. Weber and Garrison are also pointless, although it is a little more forgivable because they are defensemen.

What else stands out to people?

Enoch Root
01-30-2013, 09:06 AM
wait a few games

Every player has hot stretches where they get an inordinate number of goals in a few games. When it happens at the beginning of the season, it is more visible. But that doesn't make it more substantive (unless they prove they can maintain it).

Once those players settle back to their pace, and others have their hot streaks, the world will be right-side-up again.

Bourque's Twin
01-30-2013, 09:08 AM

I guess Patrick Marleau is the big one that comes to mind. Over the course of an 82 game season, he would be projecting to 191 points. Ok, I know... it's only 6 games and it is extremely unlikely that he would maintain that pace, but over a 48 game season, a start like this can go a long way into earning him some awards at the end. I also watched a few of those San Jose games this season, and it's not like he is getting "easy" points. He is really playing well. Over the past 2 seasons, he has been a player that fans often mentioned as someone the Flames should target.

Other surprises:

Daniel Winnik. This guy has always been a good energy player, but he is getting a lot of points early in the season. I am sure he won't maintain the pace, but he sure has been fun to watch.

Zack Kassian. Four goals to start the season to Hodgson's 3. Way too early to judge that trade, but I was hoping for worse for the Canucks.

Cory Conacher. A 23 year old, small, undrafted rookie - currently in the top 10 for scoring. He was a big producer last year in the AHL and seems to be carrying off at the NHL level.

On the flip side, guys like Smyth and J. Jokinen are still pointless. Weber and Garrison are also pointless, although it is a little more forgivable because they are defensemen.

Hodgson is a much better player than Kassian.
Kassian is playing with the Sedins. I bet Rocky Thompson would but up 15G if he played with the Sedins.

Henry Fool
01-30-2013, 09:11 AM
Looking at shooting percentages, the guys in top-20 with over 30%: Marleau, Conacher, Winnik.

Komskies
01-30-2013, 09:19 AM

Other surprises:

Drew Doughty has 0 points so far as well.

Iggy has 19 shots but no goals yet.

Ashasx
01-30-2013, 09:24 AM
Remember when the Oilers were the top team in the West after the first few weeks last season?

d_phaneuf
01-30-2013, 09:27 AM
sort of a team stat but Florida has a 5% shooting percentage this year

that has to go up

edn88
01-30-2013, 09:34 AM
I think that the beginning of the season is somewhat like preseason games... some guys are not ready yet (so will have less points that what they will have later), some guys are ready from playing in Europe and will have more points against teams and players that are not ready.

And I think the sample size is still too small for some teams (like the Flames - don't believe that Iginla will be goal less for 48 games.

Agree that Marleau's start is very impressive and if he even continues at an 80% clip will win a lot of hardware.

Alberta_Beef
01-30-2013, 09:40 AM
a few surprising things to me.

- Andrei Markov returning from the dead and posting 4 goals and 7 points already, and that he has 3 game winners.
- Rafael Diaz with 7 points already.
- Ladislav Smid with 25 PIM
- Bouwmeester being under 24 minutes per game

Another thing that isn't really surprising but more refreshing to see is Matt Stajan being used to his strengths. Playing him on the PK and having him lead the team in faceoffs taken is very smart of Hartley. Really goes to show how he was being misused before.

You Need a Thneed
01-30-2013, 09:44 AM
Ryan Suter has been on the ice for 10 ES goals against, tied for last in the league with Dion Phaneuf.

The Flames as a team have the lowest PIM per game in the league - at 8.5

The Flames are the only team in the league without a fight to this point in the season.

Joe Thornton has been on the ice for 20 goals - 19 by the Sharks, and 1 by the opposition.

JD
01-30-2013, 09:47 AM
I know we like to hate on the Canucks, and rightly so, but I've watched a lot of the Canucks this year, and Kassian looks really good. You can attribute it to playing with the Sedins if you like, but I think they have a good player here. Hodgson may yet be the better player, but I don't think the Canucks did that badly on that one.

Marleau's always been an agonizingly-streaky player, so I guess it's fortunate for San Jose that he's on the good side of it to start a short season.

Ilya Kovalchuk is getting ridiculous amounts of ice time for Jersey, and looks dangerous a lot of the time. But only a modest point total so far (5 in 5 games, 2 goals).

Of the little B's hockey I've watched, Nathan Horton seems to be scoring big goals at big times of games so far. 3 goals in 6.

Our own Curtis Glencross with 3 in 4 games is notable. I know our rival fans would love to tell us that his shooting percentage was a fluke and he'll never sniff 30 let alone 20 again, but could he be the real deal? Can we pencil him in for 25+ annually?

Enoch Root
01-30-2013, 09:49 AM
Ryan Suter has been on the ice for 10 ES goals against, tied for last in the league with Dion Phaneuf.

The Flames are the only team in the league without a fight to this point in the season.

Joe Thornton has been on the ice for 20 goals - 19 by the Sharks, and 1 by the opposition.
Insanity. It will normalize, but you have to tip your hat to that stat.

timbit
01-30-2013, 09:51 AM
Cammalleri with 3 shots on goal.

Enoch Root
01-30-2013, 09:52 AM
I know we like to hate on the Canucks, and rightly so, but I've watched a lot of the Canucks this year, and Kassian looks really good. You can attribute it to playing with the Sedins if you like, but I think they have a good player here. Hodgson may yet be the better player, but I don't think the Canucks did that badly on that one.

Marleau's always been an agonizingly-streaky player, so I guess it's fortunate for San Jose that he's on the good side of it to start a short season.

Ilya Kovalchuk is getting ridiculous amounts of ice time for Jersey, and looks dangerous a lot of the time. But only a modest point total so far (5 in 5 games, 2 goals).

Of the little B's hockey I've watched, Nathan Horton seems to be scoring big goals at big times of games so far. 3 goals in 6.

Our own Curtis Glencross with 3 in 4 games is notable. I know our rival fans would love to tell us that his shooting percentage was a fluke and he'll never sniff 30 let alone 20 again, but could he be the real deal? Can we pencil him in for 25+ annually?
Yes. I thought he proved that last year (improving on the prior year). And the fact that he is doing exactly the same so far this year pretty much ices it for me. Another aspect of this is that he has been with all kinds of different linemates and very little stability on that front - but it doesn't seem to matter at all. He keeps producing, regardless of who he plays with.

Alberta_Beef
01-30-2013, 09:53 AM
Cammalleri with 3 shots on goal.Bouwmeester with double the shots of Cammalleri

Bertuzzied
01-30-2013, 09:57 AM
Smid with 25 minutes in penalties.

Sami Salo is a +10!

AR_Six
01-30-2013, 10:15 AM
Hodgson is a much better player than Kassian.
Kassian is playing with the Sedins.
Kassian started the season playing with Ebbett and Raymond, that's basically the 4th line. He was moved up to the first line because he played well, where he has been for the past 3 games. In contrast, Hodgson is playing with Vanek and Pominville on Buffalo's top line and has been since day 1.

Komskies
01-30-2013, 10:21 AM

Additionally the Marleau/Thornton/Pavelski line has already accumulated 39 points over the first 6 games. 6.5 points per game from one line.

Goodlad
01-30-2013, 10:36 AM
Yes. I thought he proved that last year (improving on the prior year). And the fact that he is doing exactly the same so far this year pretty much ices it for me. Another aspect of this is that he has been with all kinds of different linemates and very little stability on that front - but it doesn't seem to matter at all. He keeps producing, regardless of who he plays with.My two major concerns with Glencross maintaining his production this season were how much would a lower shooting percentage effect his production, and how much of that production was a result of his obvious chemistry with Jokinen. Over his career Glencross has always had a higher than normal shooting percentage, so even if it drops down to his career average of 15% with increased ice time/PP time he should be good for 25-30 in an 82 game season. As you mentioned he's also been productive with almost anyone you put him on a line with, and even driving the play in a lot of cases. I've also been impressed with his passing so far this year, something that wasn't necessarily a strength of his in the past.

badger89
01-30-2013, 11:08 AM
Craig Anderson with a 0.98GAA and 4-0-1 record to lead all goaltenders.

Bandwagon In Flames
01-30-2013, 11:34 AM

Lets not forget Stempniak also with 3g and 5 points in 4 games. We know he can be streaky but can he maintain? Hope hes as confident as when he scored something like 15 goals in 18 games to finish the season when he was traded to Phoenix.

As well, who would of thought Tanguay would be shooting. This has to be the first time hes got as many goals (2) as assists. Seems to be trying to impress his lover (Hartley) and hey if that's what he will be producing than I'm not going to judge.

Enoch Root
01-30-2013, 11:56 AM
Lets not forget Stempniak also with 3g and 5 points in 4 games. We know he can be streaky but can he maintain? Hope hes as confident as when he scored something like 15 goals in 18 games to finish the season when he was traded to Phoenix.

As well, who would of thought Tanguay would be shooting. This has to be the first time hes got as many goals (2) as assists. Seems to be trying to impress his lover (Hartley) and hey if that's what he will be producing than I'm not going to judge.
The thing about Stempniak so far this year isn't the points - which are nice - but how well he is playing. If he keeps playing as well as he has, and remains as engaged as he's been, the points will be there.

opendoor
01-30-2013, 01:26 PM

Hodgson's (lack of) skating ability could seriously hinder his ability to turn into a top center. His top end speed is OK but his acceleration and first few steps are very poor as is his stride. Some of that can be improved but not all of it and how much better his acceleration can get is questionable.

Because of that he's currently getting torched defensively (on the ice for 10 GA in 6 games with at least half of those stemming directly from mistakes he's made) and eventually he's simply not going to get prime ice time if he can't keep up on the defensive side of the game. He doesn't have to be great, but he needs to be a whole lot better.

Check out the two Skinner goals here and watch #19:

http://video.nhl.com/videocenter/console?hlg=20122013,2,43&lang=en

Or the Ward goal here:

http://video.nhl.com/videocenter/console?hlg=20122013,2,65&lang=en

In his 30 or so games with Buffalo where he's gotten top 6 ice time he's been on the ice for more than 1 GA per game which is a pace that would put him among the top 3 worst forwards for GA last year. The risk/reward might be worth it if he was dominating offensively, but 2 of his 3 points this year were goals that bounced off his leg and since joining Buffalo he's only put up a 35 point per 82 game pace.

Kassian will never have Hodgson's shot or his hockey IQ, but he also has many physical tools that Hodgson will never have. They're both works in progress at this point. Kassian has to demonstrate a level of consistency as a pro and Hodgson has to demonstrate that he can perform an NHL level in his own end of the rink or that he can score enough to make you forget about his defensive problems. But if they both turn out, I'd say a Clowe or Franzen type power forward capable of 25 goals and 55 points is more valuable and harder to acquire than a Drury (when he was good) or Langkow (minus the grit) type smallish 60-65 point center. The knock against Kassian is he's probably less likely to reach his potential but he's off to a pretty good start for a 21 year old power forward.

AR_Six
01-30-2013, 01:58 PM
Kassian will never have Hodgson's shot or his hockey IQ
Totally agree on the hockey IQ, and hasn't indicated any ability to beat an NHL caliber goalie clean on a slapper like Hodgson has done a number of times, but Kassian does have a hard and accurate wrister, at least as good as Cody's. He doesn't have the same vision or playmaking ability that Cody does.

The problem you're seeing with Hodgson is that he isn't really equipped to go best on best which you're going to have to do on most teams as 1C. His standout games last season were in sheltered minutes where he was not playing against the other team's top players. I really can't understand why Lindy Ruff isn't trying Tyler Ennis on the top line by now, that dude may be small but he has gamebreaking ability.

Knut
01-30-2013, 02:04 PM
I do not think that many people question Kassian for Hodgson.. I think they question the timing of the deal. On the stretch run, going into the playoffs and lacking Center depth. it is really a deal that is more of a offseason move. If the Canucks had brought in a rental Center to replace him before the playoffs it would have made sense.

opendoor
01-30-2013, 02:13 PM
I do not think that many people question Kassian for Hodgson.. I think they question the timing of the deal. On the stretch run, going into the playoffs and lacking Center depth. it is really a deal that is more of a offseason move. If the Canucks had brought in a rental Center to replace him before the playoffs it would have made sense.

They did; unfortunately it was Sami Pahlsson.:bag:

CsInMyBlood
01-30-2013, 03:11 PM
They did; unfortunately it was Sami Pahlsson.:bag:

You mean fortunately it was Sami Pahlsson. :)

Remember where you are.

You Need a Thneed
03-04-2013, 09:45 AM
Not so early in the season any more, but here's a stat I find amazing:

Patrice Bergeron, nearly 48 minutes played killing penalties so far this year - ZERO PP goals against.

HELPNEEDED
03-04-2013, 09:57 AM
Cammy on pace for 39 goals in 82 game season.

Iggy and Tangs both on pace for 70points in 82 game season.

Iggy heating up.

malcolmk14
03-04-2013, 10:02 AM
Bouwmeester on pace for 16 goals and 45 points over 82 games.

malcolmk14
03-04-2013, 01:39 PM
82-game pace:

Sidney Crosby 127 points
Steven Stamkos 59 goals, 125 points

Big surprises:

Brad Marchand 50 goals
Chris Kunitz 101 points

FlamesAddiction
03-04-2013, 01:42 PM
As predicted, Marleau came back down to Earth.

Those Marchand and Kunitz numbers are insane. Kunitz is basically Crosby's Rob Brown.

malcolmk14
03-10-2013, 09:40 PM
Crosby continues his torrid pace with a 5-point game tonight. His 82-game pace is 38 goals, 104 assists, 142 points.

The last time someone scored 142 points was Mario Lemieux (161) and Jaromir Jagr (149) in 1995-96. Last time someone got 100 assists was Wayne Gretzky (122) in 1990-91.

Too bad it's a short season.

SuperMatt18
03-11-2013, 09:50 AM
Crosby continues his torrid pace with a 5-point game tonight. His 82-game pace is 38 goals, 104 assists, 142 points.

The last time someone scored 142 points was Mario Lemieux (161) and Jaromir Jagr (149) in 1995-96. Last time someone got 100 assists was Wayne Gretzky (122) in 1990-91.

Too bad it's a short season.

He has something like 20 points over his last 20 periods too...Just ridiculous.