PDA

View Full Version : FAN960 general purpose thread

Pages : [1] 2

taco.vidal
09-12-2012, 09:00 PM
I know theres a Bryn thread and a few other random FAN960 threads but I thought we could use an all purpose thread for compliments or complaints about Calgary's sports radio station.

My reason for starting this thread is a complaint about the evening programming on the FAN. I hate the all the taped stuff they play. I hate listening to the taped show from out east in the early evening. The worst part though is listening to the "Best of."

Best of is meant to be really really good stuff from like the past year or decade or career - not a daily thing. Your daily programming is OK but its a stretch to pick out random segments and call it best of. Either get some live local programming or pay for some live syndicated programming or something from FOX. Theres nothing worse than listening to talk from the morning when the event your talking about has already happened that afternoon.

I have the same complaint about the weekends where they play recorded stuff from the week. Seriously, you can't afford to have something live on?

I often find myself flipping the station and finding better live sports discussion on 770am.

On a positive note, the morning show is OK. Im glad Mike Richards is gone.

Yeah_Baby
09-12-2012, 09:05 PM
I don't enjoy Bryn

smithtofuhr86
09-12-2012, 09:09 PM
Pat "Stainberg" and Bryn need to have sex and get it over with, that is all!

Two Fivenagame
09-12-2012, 09:11 PM
I can't freakin' stand Jim Rome!

YYC in LAX
09-12-2012, 09:31 PM
I can't freakin' stand Jim Rome!

I. Couldn't. Agree. More.
He's just. So. American.
Clones.

Flabbibulin
09-12-2012, 09:32 PM
No major complaints about the fan other than wishing they would spend more time on sports other than hockey. I have always liked the Jim Rome show, particularly because he spends time on all sports and other variety topics.

I don't mind the "best of" in the evening.

generally speaking though, I listen to different radio channels in waves, mainly so I don't get sick of them. Cycle between fan 960, 770, and Howard Stern on sirius.

Cortez
09-12-2012, 09:34 PM
More Jim Rome

Flabbibulin
09-12-2012, 09:35 PM
More Jim Rome

that's why theres jungle insider...

Cortez
09-12-2012, 09:40 PM
To actually add something - I enjoy the morning show a lot, yes it's a bit slower of course in the off season but I listen anyway, all the way until Rome is over. As soon as 1 o'clock hits I change the station at my desk or put my ipod on. Then when I get into my truck to drive home and I hear Bryn's voice, I change the station.

You are all very welcome for this original and ground breaking comment.

MRCboicgy
09-12-2012, 10:15 PM
*inserts generic complaint about the Fox Sports Radio feed*

There, now that's done we can get on with the thread.

greyshep
09-12-2012, 10:47 PM
I dont mind the "best of/daily recap" stuff at night.....as long as I wasnt listening to it during the day.

Also, count me in the enjoy Jim Rome occasionally crowd.

As far as the Fox vs. ESPN stuff later at night...I really dont like either. College football is the last thing I want to listen to people banter on about.

More hockey!!!

J pold
09-12-2012, 10:52 PM
Post I made concerning Jim Rome a few weeks back:

I used to be a huge fan of The Jim Rome show but ever since Travis Rodgers left the show has steadily gone downhill. Now that Kyle Brandt host the show more and more it's apparent how much influence he has and how much of the sub-par content comes from him. He is by far the worst of any of the regular guest hosts, all he does is make these stupid observations about pop-culture topics that get tired in a hurry. Meanwhile all Jim seems to do is talk about his horses and find the next B list celebrity ass to kiss. It's just sad to see such a good show fall so far.

Northendzone
09-12-2012, 10:54 PM
More insiders please.......I for one enjoy bobcat McGowan and friends in the early evening, I wish they would have a little more local content in the evenings and weekends.

It recently dawned on me that they are not covering as many jays games as they used too, I am fine with that as well.

I think I would prefer a feed from the fan 590 in TO instead of FOX stuff, but maybe the Fan in TO is stuck with that as well.

I would like to hear more Peter L.

FlamingHomer
09-13-2012, 06:18 AM
The Jungle Jim Hunter Show is great. What he does to promote amateur sports is outstanding. If you have a kid in sports you should sit down with him/her and listen to the show every Saturday morning.

Northendzone
09-13-2012, 07:44 AM
The Jungle Jim Hunter Show is great. What he does to promote amateur sports is outstanding. If you have a kid in sports you should sit down with him/her and listen to the show every Saturday morning.

lots of folks will disagree with you, but i am not one of them. i like his show, because it is completely different. instead of offering up yet another opion on the lockout or an upcoming game, JJH focuses on amatuers and the mental side of playing sports at a high level.

TheGrimm
09-13-2012, 08:00 AM
I turn off my radio everyday when Jim Rome comes on. Garbage programming.

TheGrimm
09-13-2012, 08:01 AM
lots of folks will disagree with you, but i am not one of them. i like his show, because it is completely different. instead of offering up yet another opion on the lockout or an upcoming game, JJH focuses on amatuers and the mental side of playing sports at a high level.

Someone told me he pays for his timeslot, self promoting thing... Any truth to this? He sounds like a cheap self help tape from the 80's stuck on repeat to me.

J pold
09-13-2012, 08:40 AM
Not if serious?

Jungle Jim Hunter is trash and his 2010 Olympic coverage on the fan was disgraceful. Most things on the fan I can stand listening to, even Bob Mccown, but when Jim Hunter comes on I immediately change the dial.

Northendzone
09-13-2012, 09:11 AM
^ what did you find disgraceful about his olympic coverage? for myself, i did not listen to his coverage enough to form an opinion?

jroc
09-13-2012, 09:19 AM
^^ about half way through when our medal count was still kinda low but we were still near the top for golds, he pretty much dumped on Canada about how nobody cared and how many athletes should feel disgraced.

J pold
09-13-2012, 09:23 AM
^ what did you find disgraceful about his olympic coverage? for myself, i did not listen to his coverage enough to form an opinion?
Early on in 2010 winter games when Canada was struggling and still hadn't won a gold medal he went on the fan and repeatedly chastised the athletes. He claimed that they weren't focused, only obsessed with celebrity endorsements, and hadn't trained hard enough to compete with the world. Keep in mind this is maybe three days into the games. The other hosts would tell him to calm down, that there was still a lot more games to be played. He refused to hear it and boldly claimed that Canada would have it's worse medal showing in recent memory.

People complained and wrote into the the fan demanding he be removed from the air, which I believe he later was. Why do you think this guy gets a challenged spot for air time and is almost never featured on any of the main programming? I could be wrong about this but I don't believe he contributed in this years summer games coverage on the fan at all.

Lego Man
09-13-2012, 09:32 AM
The only time I avoid tuning into the FAN960 is when Rome is on.

Instead of having (what seems like an eternity) of Rome in the Morning, I'd rather have our local guys having more conversations with people covering the NFL, NBA, Premier League, and in general more soccer related stuff. For such a globally dominant sport, the Fan does a great job of pretending it doesn't exist.

And I hate the way Rome covers the NFL, NBA, and MLB.

I also miss having the TSN personalities in morning, but that's just business.

troutman
09-13-2012, 09:54 AM

I understand he pays to be on the Fan. He is promoting his own business.

taco.vidal
09-13-2012, 10:03 AM
I like junge jim. As a masters athlete and as someone involved in youth sport, theres a lot of good conent in his shows if you can look past his abrasive nature.

Jim Rome - used to be a fan but stopped listening religously a couple of years ago and now dont listen at all. I wouldnt mind if he they put something new on in that timeslot. It might have me listen to the Fan again at that time of day.

Cowperson
09-13-2012, 10:54 AM
Since I'm often driving to the mountains when Jungle Jim is on, I actually follow him a bit but I think if you've heard one "pump-you-up" Jungle Jim show, you've heard them all.

Hardly ever listen to "Lowest Common Denominator" Rome. Never listen to ESPN or FOX or whatever they have for filler

Generally, I like listening to the local announcers on the drive in and drive home from work. Since they got rid of that wingnut who thought he was funny in the morning, off to a bigger paycheque in Toronto, things have improved considerably.

Cowperson

Erick Estrada
09-13-2012, 11:06 AM
Too much hockey and not enough football, baseball, hell even the odd basketball wouldn't hurt. I especially find all this lockout talk extremely boring and repetitive. The Fan needs to realize that they are a sports network and not just a hockey network. The morning guys have grown on me a bit but sometimes I would like to put my hands around Walker's neck tightly when he goes off on his anti-tennis rants. Dude you work on a sports station and tennis wether you like it or not is a big sport worldwide and some people are actually interested in the big tournaments like Wimbledon and the US open. Heck we finally have a Canadian men's player that is a factor in the men's tour.

The Goon
09-13-2012, 12:20 PM
I don't listen as much as I used to. When I do listen on the way in to work, I still feel like the morning team is some thrown-together group waiting for Mike Richards to come back from vacation.

If and when hockey starts up I'll probably be listening more.

Senator Clay Davis
09-13-2012, 12:31 PM

I used to be a huge fan of The Jim Rome show but ever since Travis Rodgers left the show has steadily gone downhill. Now that Kyle Brandt host the show more and more it's apparent how much influence he has and how much of the sub-par content comes from him. He is by far the worst of any of the regular guest hosts, all he does is make these stupid observations about pop-culture topics that get tired in a hurry. Meanwhile all Jim seems to do is talk about his horses and find the next B list celebrity ass to kiss. It's just sad to see such a good show fall so far.

Not sure anyone nailed a post more than you did right here. I was an everyday listener until a few years ago, right around the time Whitey left is when the show started to become poorer in quality. And boy did the quality of callers ever fall off a cliff around 2006. I used to love the calls as much as Rome, but now its just a bunch of clowns trying to become wannabe Jungle Legends, or losers trying to get into the Hack-Off.

Bigtime
09-13-2012, 01:06 PM
I've listened to Rome when I could since it was tape delayed on 770 (or was it 660) years ago.

Definitely agree about the quality of the callers dropping off in a huge way, remember when every show would always end with a "huge call of the day"? How often does that happen now?

Hate the talk about horse racing, and neck-errr nascar. Remember when Jim hated it so? Those were the days. And a fool named Willy in KC started the whole "singing take" craze. Memories.

Traditional_Ale
09-13-2012, 01:16 PM
Since they got rid of that wingnut who thought he was funny in the morning, off to a bigger paycheque in Toronto, things have improved considerably.

Cowperson

I found Mike Richards freaking hilarious. The Rita McNeil Christmas Special was so funny I had to pull over the first time I heard it because I was laughing to hard to drive. Also, "EDMONTON" was gold.

CaramonLS
09-13-2012, 01:47 PM

I still listen to Rome, but I think you're bang on with this assessment. He is an absolutely terrible guest host.

But back on topic - I can't stand anymore 'lockout' analysis. I know they claim they've done a survey or something of their listeners, but I would absolutely love if they talked more NFL, even MLB. Anything over more lockout crap.

FlamingHomer
09-13-2012, 06:17 PM
I understand he pays to be on the Fan. He is promoting his own business.

That's interesting if it's true. So when there is an ad on his show (I believe Big 4 Motors is a regular) does he personally collect the revenue for that?

cavalera403
09-13-2012, 07:45 PM
Not sure anyone nailed a post more than you did right here. I was an everyday listener until a few years ago, right around the time Whitey left is when the show started to become poorer in quality. And boy did the quality of callers ever fall off a cliff around 2006. I used to love the calls as much as Rome, but now its just a bunch of clowns trying to become wannabe Jungle Legends, or losers trying to get into the Hack-Off.

Travis has his own show on yahoo sports network that you can podcast for free every day. If you miss the old Rome show you will be a big fan of this. Even a lot of the good old callers are participating on his show. I also download the petros and money show and that fills in most of my sports talk radio. May be day old but it is better than what is offered locally daily.

MissTeeks
09-25-2012, 03:23 PM
Peter Maher will be on the Fan every afternoon from 3 until 6 until hockey starts back up.

Jason Deforest ‏@FAN960Jason (‏@FAN960Jason)

Peter Maher is live in studio again (and every day while there's no #NHL (https://twitter.com/search/?q=%23NHL&src=hash)) on the Big Show 3-6pm on @Sportsnet960 (https://twitter.com/Sportsnet960).

undercoverbrother
09-25-2012, 04:08 PM
Peter Maher will be on the Fan every afternoon from 3 until 6 until hockey starts back up.

Jason Deforest ‏@FAN960Jason

Peter Maher is live in studio again (and every day while there's no #NHL (https://twitter.com/search/?q=%23NHL&src=hash)) on the Big Show 3-6pm on @Sportsnet960 (https://twitter.com/Sportsnet960).

Peter Maher play by play = awesome

Peter Maher on general radio hosting = painful

Freeway
09-25-2012, 06:09 PM

I disagree. Pete has some great stories.

Austin Powers
09-25-2012, 11:58 PM
I really enjoy listening to the Jim Rome show.

Anyone that says he just talks about horses, etc, doesnt listen to his show regularly.

I like the morning show right now, but I would still rather have Mike Richards, Im a big fan.

I really enjoyed having Kerr, Boomer and Steinberg in the afternoon.

Is Rick Lafitte still with the Fan960? I have not heard him in a while, but liked listening to what he had to say.

BsFaninCGY
09-26-2012, 10:36 AM

Couldn't agree more. If you're ever looking to get absolutely loaded - have a shot of beer every time Peter says 'ahh' or 'umm' in a segment. Shouldn't take you more than 5 minutes to start feeling it.

The Fan 960 has gone to ####. I moved to Calgary a little over 5 years ago and was very excited to have an all sports channel to tune into.

Used to really like the morning show. Probably have tuned in 20 or 30 times since Richards left, and for me there's nothing there to look forward to. Happy to listen to the same generic rock songs and pop culture rabble on the FM dial in the mornings.

Hated Rome from the get-go, but tried to give him a chance. His delivery drives me nuts and in general he just seems like an arrogant #######. Why would I give him my time?

Used to kind of enjoy the afternoon drive with whoever was doing it a few years ago. Hate it now. Aside from the insiders that call in, 960 has never had anyone local on in the afternoon that knows #### about the Eastern Conference. So maddening to hear them have an opinion that is based on a foundation of ignorance.

I've made a comment on Brynn in the other thread - opinion hasn't changed. Pat has steadily made me hate him more and more. I understand Brynn says dumb stuff and generally has no real opinion worth listening too. But the fact that Pat, his colleague and fellow 'professional' gets on the way he does blows my mind. These guy really need to record a couple of hours of their show and listen back in the night and hear how they sound. The show is so unprofessional it's a joke. I've tried so hard to listen to get some local sports talk, but I find myself just getting mad at the garbage they present and changing back to the FM crap.

Steinberg should be kept on Overtime and nothing else. Brynn should be moved to an off air role. I like hearing Kelly Kirsh or whatever his name is when he fills in. Rome will never be gone, but it sure would be nice if he was. The morning show guys should probably be moved around too.

The funny thing is the Fan 590 has really won me over. I love hockey central, Tim & Sid are hilarious and REALLY well produced. McCowan is what he is and if you can accept that, the show can be great. It's a pretty solid lineup all around. I thought I'd love TSN radio, but Bryan Hayes has made me hate that whole station. So Rogers CAN run a good radio station - maybe whoever has set up 590 can come do some mentoring here in Calgary.

Thank god for satellite radio and the TuneIn Radio app.

Cheerio
09-26-2012, 05:22 PM
The only thing I used to listen to regularly on Fan960 was All Night with Jason Smith. But now that he moved on to the NFL Network, the only time I listen is when something big happens with the Flames.

darockwilder
09-26-2012, 06:32 PM
The only thing I used to listen to regularly on Fan960 was All Night with Jason Smith. But now that he moved on to the NFL Network, the only time I listen is when something big happens with the Flames.

I actually enjoyed the guy who had that show before Jason, I think the guys name was Todd Wright

J pold
09-27-2012, 07:44 AM
I actually enjoyed the guy who had that show before Jason, I think the guys name was Todd Wright
That was honestly one of the best sports talk radio shows I've ever heard. I was so disappointed when they canned Todd.

Northendzone
09-27-2012, 12:17 PM
the other day i also noticed how many times pete hums and haaws while doing a radio intereview, but hardly at all while doing a flames broadcast.

wonder what the difference for him is? maybe he is more mentally prepared for a flames game.

while he may not be perfectly smooth on the radio, i too like his stories.

Austin Powers
09-27-2012, 08:11 PM

I liked Wright also.

"All night, with Todd Wright on ESPN radio"

I liked Smith too.

Austin Powers
09-27-2012, 08:20 PM
the other day i also noticed how many times pete hums and haaws while doing a radio intereview, but hardly at all while doing a flames broadcast.

wonder what the difference for him is? maybe he is more mentally prepared for a flames game.

while he may not be perfectly smooth on the radio, i too like his stories.

Id say its just Maher being a bit out of his element.

I know hes tons of interviews over the years, but hes still at his best when hes calling Flames game, he's in his element.

taco.vidal
11-08-2012, 08:09 AM
One of the morning show guys was apologizing today for comments he made yesterday. I didnt catch the whole thing. Who was it and what did he say yesterday? It seemed like it may have related to Saskatchewan.

macker
11-08-2012, 08:42 AM
"Not going there Boomer" went there:bag:

calgaryrocks
11-08-2012, 09:17 AM
probably the comment regarding how he hoped the Riders plane would crash on the way to Calgary...

see the 2012 CFL reg. season thread where it is being discussed

Bigtime
11-08-2012, 09:20 AM
He said that? What an idiot.

Erick Estrada
11-08-2012, 09:21 AM
probably the comment regarding how he hoped the Riders plane would crash on the way to Calgary...

see the 2012 CFL reg. season thread where it is being discussed

Yep. He was just doing his anti-Rider schtick towards Warrener. He may have gone a little too far but if you listen to the show with any regularity you would know he was just kidding around.

Apparently Rider nation is all up in arms and we all know how big their voice is. Go to any CFL poll on who was the performer of the week or best QB in the league and it will be Dressler or Durant at the top despite neither being remotely worthy.

Knut
11-08-2012, 09:39 AM
Might need a Boomer replacement too after he told Walker and Warrener that he hopes the riders get into a plane crash on the way to Calgary this weekend. He only wished for 4 deaths of players and none to women, children and plane crew though.

North East Goon
11-08-2012, 09:57 AM
Might need a Boomer replacement too after he told Walker and Warrener that he hopes the riders get into a plane crash on the way to Calgary this weekend. He only wished for 4 deaths of players and none to women, children and plane crew though.

He was joking, I as a staunch Riders fan could tell the nature of those comments. I hope he doesnt get rail-roaded out of town for those comments.

ozzy
11-08-2012, 10:41 AM
I read this on facebook today:

"During the morning show on Wednesday, November 7th, on Sportsnet 960 The FAN, our morning show host, Dean "Boomer" Molberg made an offside comment about the Saskatchewan Roughriders. It was a misguided attempt at humour. Our station, our company and of course myself as the program director do not condone this comment. It was uncalled for and embarrassing for our entire staff here at the station. I would like to offer my sincere apology to go along with Dean's on air apology that was aired today.

Kelly Kirch - Program Director"

Erick Estrada
11-08-2012, 10:46 AM
He was joking, I as a staunch Riders fan could tell the nature of those comments. I hope he doesnt get rail-roaded out of town for those comments.

The province of Saskatchewan is up in arms lol. You gotta love Rider nation.

jschick88
11-08-2012, 11:34 AM
Here is Boomer's apology letter.

https://www.facebook.com/sportsnet960/posts/547469848600503

CedarMeter
11-08-2012, 11:39 AM
From Dean (Boomer) Molberg:

I’m writing this letter of apology in regards to the unacceptable comments towards the Saskatchewan Roughriders I made during our morning show on Sportsnet 960 The Fan on Wednesday, November 7th.

It was an attempt at being funny, which in the end was neither funny nor appropriate. Not even close. It was clearly not thought out, for if it was I’d have never said it. There is no excuse for it, and I’m not in any way looking to defend my actions. This was in no way, shape or form a ratings ploy or an attempt to garner attention to myself or the radio station. I made a mistake.
I would like to firstly apologize to the Saskatchewan Roughriders Football Club, staff, players and family and fans. My comments are no doubt troubling to you all, and as someone who has a young family myself, I hope you can understand the regret I have for saying them. I made a huge error in judgment and very sincerely wish no harm to any of you. We are all appreciative of the rivalry that exists between these two clubs, and I unfortunately made a terrible choice in an attempt to add fuel to it.

I wish to apologize to Lyle Bauer, John Hufnagel and everyone involved with the Calgary Stampeders Football Club. The Stampeders are a first rate organization, and I’m sorry that my foolish comments are something that you have to deal with at any time, let alone this close to the biggest game of your season. I’d like to specifically apologize to Stamps offensive lineman Edwin Harrison. My comments would be especially troubling to you given the loss of your grandfather. To all at the Stampeders office, I hope you can understand the remorse that I feel for involving you in this.

I also need to issue an apology to the Canadian Football League and its members. The League has done amazing work during this historic season to celebrate its rich history en route to the 100th Grey Cup. I have watched the CFL since my childhood and have wonderful memories of watching games with my family. I’m deeply sorry that because of my comments, even a small amount of attention will come away from the playoff games and be focused elsewhere.

I apologize to Rogers Communications, Sportsnet 960 – The Fan, Kelly Kirch, and all members of our staff. We work incredibly hard to bring a product to the air that we can be proud of. On Wednesday, I said something that instead, brought embarrassment to us all. I made a foolish decision and now the entire family and staff are subject to this awkward situation. To our listeners, I hope you don’t take this isolated set of circumstances and make a conclusion about me or our station.

This may seem like a hollow gesture to some, but I can assure you it is extremely heartfelt. I am deeply rattled by what has happened. This was not premeditated or meant in a serious manner what so ever. It was a throw away comment at the end of a segment, that I very much regret. -Dean
See More

hah
11-08-2012, 11:50 AM
The station should have milked it until at least after the game. Very poor taste, but made for good shock radio.

Rogers should probably can Boomer, and revamp the whole station for the new year.

And please do not bring in Loubardias, Francis, Kerr or Billions, perhaps Ken Newans, Bart Dailley or Bill Powers are available.:D

GreenLantern2814
11-08-2012, 11:54 AM
^^^ Is this really the society we've crafted? Throwaway, nothing comments that aren't in any way serious now have to be apologized for?

Let me try this. 'Boy that Hitler, bit of a tool but made some good points!'

Who wants an apology? Good lord, the only guys on the Fan who TRY to be remotely interesting, and even that's not enough. What is it about this culture, when anyone tries anything remotely out of the norm, the masses either demand an apology or become oversensitive freaks?

Remember Bad Mouth Bettman, the sketch Richards did during the last lockout? That was as funny as anything Loveline, Howard Stern, O&A or Kevin & Bean have ever done, yet he nearly got booted off the air twice for it. WTF.

Boomer, I hope whoever made you write that apology is one of the four you allowed to perish on this weekends' flight. JFC.

The Goon
11-08-2012, 12:09 PM
Yeah, I just got an email from Fan 960 and I came here to find out what he was apologizing for.

Definitely an over the line comment, but the apology is comprehensive (to say the least) and hopefully everyone just moves on.

mikeecho
11-08-2012, 12:16 PM
When does Kirsh offer an apology for the rest of the 960 train wreck

Table 5
11-08-2012, 12:26 PM
Silly comment, but that's quite the over-reactionary apology. Pretty sure that 3000 essay could've been condensed down to 15.

Cowperson
11-08-2012, 12:37 PM
Yeah, I just got an email from Fan 960 and I came here to find out what he was apologizing for.

Definitely an over the line comment, but the apology is comprehensive (to say the least) and hopefully everyone just moves on.

He certainly covered all the bases with that apology. Sometimes you can tell when something like that is written by a PR professional but, in this case, definitely sounded like his own words and sincere.

Cowperson

Mazrim
11-08-2012, 12:38 PM
Can't believe people think Boomer should resign. I guess all these people saying that are perfect and have never made a mistake on the job.

Knut
11-08-2012, 12:41 PM
I don't think he should resign. I expected him to be fired as things seem overly sensitive today.

Glad he wasn't, but I am sure he got a talking to from Rogers

Cowboy89
11-08-2012, 12:59 PM
Yep. He was just doing his anti-Rider schtick towards Warrener. He may have gone a little too far but if you listen to the show with any regularity you would know he was just kidding around.

Apparently Rider nation is all up in arms and we all know how big their voice is. Go to any CFL poll on who was the performer of the week or best QB in the league and it will be Dressler or Durant at the top despite neither being remotely worthy.

While I don't disagree with what you said, I dont' think it's an appropriate time to dig at Riders fans while trying to defend Boomer. You're certainly looking like a troll over on riderfans.com.

Erick Estrada
11-08-2012, 01:08 PM
While I don't disagree with what you said, I dont' think it's an appropriate time to dig at Riders fans while trying to defend Boomer. You're certainly looking like a troll over on riderfans.com.

Riders fans are clowns. Some of them are pretty good, knowledgeable fans and being a CFL fan I like that because I like to talk sports but the vast majority are just uneducated bandwagoners. There are people in that thread there calling Calgary fans in general classless just because of what a radio guy said. I take digs at them because they make it way too easy.

Cowboy89
11-08-2012, 01:16 PM
Riders fans are clowns. Some of them are pretty good, knowledgeable fans and being a CFL fan I like that because I like to talk sports but the vast majority are just uneducated bandwagoners. There are people in that thread there calling Calgary fans in general classless just because of what a radio guy said.

They have a 'Calgary fans are classless' type thread every week over there. They also seem to get carried away with their blatenly racist meme of 'Nik Lewis eating buckets of KFC.' There's plenty of other times and opportunities to address that.

Anyways. Speaking of Boomer, I thought the words of his apology were actually quite complete in terms of addressing the multiple droves of people he offended and possibly impacted. I have been hearing from some Rider fan friends that they way he apologized on air didn't sound as sincere. Did anyone who heard the apology agree? Or was this a case of hearing this through green-colored speakers?

edn88
11-08-2012, 01:21 PM
Bad choice, definitely needs to apologize, apology reads like it is sincere, doesn't need to be fired.

People should move on.

troutman
11-08-2012, 01:25 PM
Boomer won't be able to make fun of Rider Nation anymore.

This may seem like a hollow gesture to some, but I can assure you it is extremely heartfelt. I am deeply rattled by what has happened. This was not premeditated or meant in a serious manner what so ever. It was a throw away comment at the end of a segment, that I very much regret.

Dean Molberg

Erick Estrada
11-08-2012, 01:28 PM
They have a 'Calgary fans are classless' type thread every week over there. They also seem to get carried away with their blatenly racist meme of 'Nik Lewis eating buckets of KFC.' There's plenty of other times and opportunities to address that.

Anyways. Speaking of Boomer, I thought the words of his apology were actually quite complete in terms of addressing the multiple droves of people he offended and possibly impacted. I have been hearing from some Rider fan friends that they way he apologized on air didn't sound as sincere. Did anyone who heard the apology agree? Or was this a case of hearing this through green-colored speakers?

Yeah the KFC stuff is low brow for sure but I get a little upset when they call out Calgary fans.

I thought it was sincere although honestly IMO when anyone gives an appology the only person that really knows if it is sincere is the person giving it. We can judge by their wording, expressions, etc but we are simply assuming.

Resolute 14
11-08-2012, 01:29 PM
Apparently Rider nation is all up in arms and we all know how thin their skin is.

Fixed that for you.

That said, Boomer crossed the line on a jet-powered skateboard.

Erick Estrada
11-08-2012, 01:30 PM
Boomer won't be able to make fun of Rider Nation anymore.

This may seem like a hollow gesture to some, but I can assure you it is extremely heartfelt. I am deeply rattled by what has happened. This was not premeditated or meant in a serious manner what so ever. It was a throw away comment at the end of a segment, that I very much regret.

Dean Molberg

Maybe people have forgotten but Mike Richards took a lot of low digs at Edmonton on the Fan 960. Difference is that Edmontonians have thicker skin as I don't remember any major backlash.

Yamer
11-08-2012, 01:36 PM
Did Richards ever wish death (jokingly or not) on Edmonton players?

Half legit question here, as I didn't make it a habit to listen to him while he was at the Fan.

hah
11-08-2012, 02:01 PM
It not like he said ****sucker live on air. :)

Erick Estrada
11-08-2012, 02:39 PM
Did Richards ever wish death (jokingly or not) on Edmonton players?

Half legit question here, as I didn't make it a habit to listen to him while he was at the Fan.

Not that I can recall but he called it "Dumpsville" frequently or simply a dump and had that whole Mongo Edmonton game show which had it's low brow moments.

Does anyone really think Dean Molberg really was hoping for some Riders to die in a plane crash? Really? I don't think he ever truly wished any harm to anyone. I get that this is something that shouldn't have been said on air but this isn't a guy voicing racist beliefs on the air or anything really meant to be hurtful. It was just a dumb comment.

sclitheroe
11-08-2012, 02:44 PM
Can't believe people think Boomer should resign. I guess all these people saying that are perfect and have never made a mistake on the job.

You'd think he'd have learned after making racist jokes about Jordin Tootoo a couple years back. I let the CRTC know about that one, and it too necessitated a "heartfelt" apology on air.

Helrazr
11-08-2012, 02:59 PM
You'd think he'd have learned after making racist jokes about Jordin Tootoo a couple years back. I let the CRTC know about that one, and it too necessitated a "heartfelt" apology on air.

Srsly?

J epworth
11-08-2012, 03:03 PM
Maybe people have forgotten but Mike Richards took a lot of low digs at Edmonton on the Fan 960. Difference is that Edmontonians have thicker skin as I don't remember any major backlash.

The difference I think was Richards did it using satire, notably the Steve Armitage sections, while this seemed more like an off the cuff remark, which people usually take a bit more seriously. Also it is well known he truly hates anything and everything to so with the province of Saskatchewan.

Northendzone
11-08-2012, 03:25 PM
women with bruises on their legs......

flamesaresmokin
11-08-2012, 03:31 PM
Why doesn't Steinbag have to apologize for his comments last night??

taco.vidal
11-08-2012, 03:32 PM
CBC and the Herald have the story up on their websites now.
I cant believe how much outrage this is causing.
Wow people have thin skin these days. What i dont understand is whether people complaining are in fact personally offended or if they feel that comments like this are super offensive and should not be aired.

Im not sure how an average joe would find the comment offensive. It was a bad joke. Do people think he was serious and secretly doing a voodoo curse while on air?

JiriHrdina
11-08-2012, 04:30 PM
Boy I feel bad for Boomer. Which isn’t to say I excuse at all what he said – but live radio is walking a tight rope particularly when you are trying to be edgy and/or funny. Think about all the stupid stuff you say when out with your buddies that as soon as it comes out of your mouth you regret....when you are doing hours of live radio every day like Boomer is – this stuff can easily happen to anyone.

In my previous career in radio I had a few times when I said something I regretted, or wish I could take back, or got something wrong during a broadcast. The feeling is terrible because in few jobs are you so exposed. It lingers for days if not weeks - and you start to 2nd guess yourself. It's not fun.

Anyways, what he said was dumb and terrible and he probably knows it. But it is something that I can understand HOW it happened and hope people are able to look past it. He’s a good guy.

transplant99
11-08-2012, 04:42 PM
Yeah....i cringed when he said it and then even went on about it after both Warrener and Walker gave him a second to backtrack on it but he didnt.

That being said, it was truly uttered in jest and anyone listening would know that. Asking the guy to lose his job over it is just ridiculous though....people need to get a grip

sclitheroe
11-08-2012, 04:43 PM
but live radio is walking a tight rope

Lots of jobs involve making thinking on your feet, making decisions and not being wrong on the fly.

Think about all the stupid stuff you say when out with your buddies

In other words the stuff that goes on when you aren't on the tight rope and has no consequences.

But it is something that I can understand HOW it happened

Me too - he's not very good at what he does.

JiriHrdina
11-08-2012, 04:50 PM
Lots of jobs involve making thinking on your feet, making decisions and not being wrong on the fly.

Sure and mistakes happen in those jobs too. And people move on. Not sure where I claimed no other jobs were like this.

In other words the stuff that goes on when you aren't on the tight rope and has no consequences..

Sure. But great radio is partly about being real - and just talking. Sportstalk at its best is a bunch of guys yakking just like they do in the bar. No surprise sometimes in appropraite stuff slips out.

Me too - he's not very good at what he does.

I disagree but you are entitled to your opinion.

sclitheroe
11-08-2012, 04:57 PM
Sportstalk at its best is a bunch of guys yakking just like they do in the bar.

So which other sports talk shows should I tune in to for jokes about native Canadians and airline tragedies, if thats sports talk at its best? :bag:

Granted it's only every 4 years, but I don't want to miss the best stuff.

JiriHrdina
11-08-2012, 05:00 PM
So which other sports talk shows should I tune in to for jokes about native Canadians and airline tragedies, if thats sports talk at its best? :bag:

You seem to be only interested in misrepresenting what I'm saying. I don't believe I claimed that this was an example of "sports talk at its best".

Let me know if you want to actually have a conversation about it.

sclitheroe
11-08-2012, 05:05 PM
You seem to be only interested in misrepresenting what I'm saying. I don't believe I claimed that this was an example of "sports talk at its best".

True enough, apologies.

JiriHrdina
11-08-2012, 05:06 PM
True enough, apologies.

Thanks I hesitated in posting at all in this thread as I didn't want it to come across that I was excusing what was said, as it was certainly over the line.

Lego Man
11-08-2012, 05:21 PM
While I realize it was an offensive joke (and that he'd get in trouble when he said it), I laughed when he said it AND I laughed even harder when I got the apology email.

I hope it's just a slap on the wrist.

killer_carlson
11-08-2012, 05:49 PM
I am seeing the comments in here that were said but did not hear it. No surprise there is employer discipline.

For those that say the station should lighten up, let me ask you what it would take to see him lose his job, in your opinion?

(I'm not saying he should or should not, just curious as to the standard people are applying)

GGG
11-08-2012, 05:56 PM
I hate how people over react to these thjngs. What he said was somewhat offensive but is anyone actually offended. Im a Rider fan. But this fake outrage everyone has over what is clearly sports hate is absurd. If anything this adds to the rivalry and makes listening to him after the stamps choke in the playoffs again priceless.

People calling for him to be fired is ridiculous

moon
11-08-2012, 06:20 PM
You're certainly looking like a troll over on riderfans.com.

No he isn't.

He is doing a good job of showing what morons Prider fans are (especially the losers over at priderfans.com).

GGG
11-08-2012, 06:30 PM
Riders fans are clowns. Some of them are pretty good, knowledgeable fans and being a CFL fan I like that because I like to talk sports but the vast majority are just uneducated bandwagoners. There are people in that thread there calling Calgary fans in general classless just because of what a radio guy said. I take digs at them because they make it way too easy.

But you flip the situation around and you would have all of Calgary saying how classless riderfans are. If Rob Pederson or any of the Rider radio people said this about Calgary it would be the exact same situation.

If there is any problem in all this its people pretending to be outraged and offended. Its ridiculous.

dsavillian
11-08-2012, 06:59 PM
No one should be overly offended by the comments IMO, but the comments were still pretty tasteless (especially considering that 4 members of the team were killed in a plane crash in 1956). I didn't feel the apology was necessary, but it was good to see anyway.

There are thin skinned fans that follow every team in professional sports, so I think that picking on Rider fans in that regard really isn't fair. As always, the loudest complainers get the most attention and anyone that is overly outraged needs to get their priorities in check.

(this post was written by a Rider fan that wishes he wouldn't get stereotyped any more than he already does. Seriously, who thinks a Roughrider's tie is a good christmas gift? EVERYONE in my family)

Kananaskis04
11-08-2012, 07:10 PM
Eric Francis ‏@EricFrancis (https://twitter.com/EricFrancis) FAN 960 morning man Dean Molberg has been suspended through the end of the CFL season for saying he hoped the #Roughriders (https://twitter.com/search?q=%23Roughriders&src=hash) plane crashed.

moon
11-08-2012, 07:13 PM
Eric Francis ‏@EricFrancis (https://twitter.com/EricFrancis) FAN 960 morning man Dean Molberg has been suspended through the end of the CFL season for saying he hoped the #Roughriders (https://twitter.com/search?q=%23Roughriders&src=hash) plane crashed.

I know they have to do something like this due to the PC bullcrap society we have now but that is disappointing to hear.

moon
11-08-2012, 07:14 PM
But you flip the situation around and you would have all of Calgary saying how classless riderfans are. If Rob Pederson or any of the Rider radio people said this about Calgary it would be the exact same situation.

If there is any problem in all this its people pretending to be outraged and offended. Its ridiculous.

We already know what classless dolts Prider fans are and if Pederson did this he would be held up as a god in Saskatchewan.

pylon
11-08-2012, 07:16 PM
It boggles my mind how people can care so much about a CFL football team. The CFL hype is a product of 2 things:

1) TSN making it seem way bigger than it is through false hype.
2) Riders fans, who's lives are so boring and meaningless out on the plain, they have nothing better to do with their time and cheer for what, in reality, amounts to an amateur football team.

Dumb comments by Molberg, but c'mon. Suspending the guy for a month?

GreenLantern2814
11-08-2012, 07:23 PM

I'd actually recommend you stay indoors, don't subscribe to internet or television, smash all of your radios with a hammer and blindfold yourself in a windowless room, since you apparently aren't grown up enough to recognize what you should and should not be spending time worrying about.

moon
11-08-2012, 07:28 PM
It boggles my mind how people can care so much about a CFL football team. The CFL hype is a product of 2 things:

2) Riders fans, who's lives are so boring and meaningless out on the plain, they have nothing better to do with their time and cheer for what, in reality, amounts to an amateur football team.

Or it could be a product of people enjoying a different style of football that involves a faster pace game, more passing and more exciting plays.

HOOT
11-08-2012, 07:34 PM
Oh good a CFL vs NFL debate, was worried a thread about football wouldn't turn into that.

GGG
11-08-2012, 07:59 PM

Well if you want to watch a leauge that was 10 years ahead (at least) on offensive play calling the CFL is your league. The NFL has only recently caught up to where flutie was.

TSN still gets better ratings for CFL than NFL so despite all the media attention the NFL gets CFL is still the number two sport in Canada

Erick Estrada
11-08-2012, 08:19 PM

I feel bad for Molberg because he didn't say anything racist or worthy of suspension. Absolutely in poor taste but I don't believe a player on the Riders roster took the comments seriously if they even cared at all. The Sampeders/Riders rivalry is heated this time of year and I am stunned so many have taken his comments seriously. IMO simply a witchhunt buy a mob of hypocrites who at one time made numerous death threats and dumped manure on the lawn of their FG kicker.

GreenLantern2814
11-08-2012, 08:46 PM
This is beyond ridiculous. Go to hell Rogers, kirch, or whoever else is responsible for this joke of a decision. I've tolerated you putting out a crap product for nearly two years now, and when your on air talent tries to maybe liven up what is otherwise a nuclear winter of boredom emanating from your station, you suspend him for a month? Never mind that he clearly doesn't want any innocent people to die, and the fact that he qualifies his statements by saying 'no women or children, and not even the full team just four guys', you're too ######ed to take that joke for what it is. A joke.

960, you do understand that he didn't actually attempt to sabotage their aircraft? That he is trying to drum up a little interest for a game that, as I write this, had 5000 tickets still
Available? No, you couldn't be aware of that, because that would
Require you to have some higher brain function, or at the very
Least understand what makes your station money is getting people to listen to it. But I'm sure you've completely forgotten what THAT'S like, 2004 was a
Long time ago.

So in conclusion; as you apparently have no interest in producing products that are remotely interesting, go #### yourself. It won't be hard to not listen to your crap station in the future.

pepper24
11-08-2012, 08:54 PM
The suspension is beyond ridiculous. The apology was enough and it should have ended there.

Erick Estrada
11-08-2012, 08:59 PM
The suspension is beyond ridiculous. The apology was enough and it should have ended there.

I feel Kelly Kirch is being hypocritical here. He's the one that brought in Richards and he's the one that encourages an edgy show. When you encourage that you are going to have moments and episodes of bad taste and IMO that's all this is. I feel he's throwing Dean under the bus here simply to appease a vocal mob of thin skinned fans. If this comes down from above him then maybe Rogers should look at the guy hiring and encouraging the behaviour.

Fluffy Bunnies
11-08-2012, 09:11 PM
Suspended him how? I heard him on air this morning.

Rider fans are a bunch of classless, hyprocitical, imbred, mouth breathers. The Nik Lewis KFC meme, manure on their kicker's lawn, and their general conduct at any football game tells you all you need to know about their sense of morality and good taste.

The apology was all that was needed. It was sincere. The joke was bad. Time to get over it and move on with life, instead of manufacturing fake outrage.

The Goon
11-08-2012, 09:26 PM
The suspension is overkill by 1000%. Very sorry to hear that, and I don't even listen to the morning show.

Erick Estrada
11-08-2012, 09:55 PM
No he isn't.

He is doing a good job of showing what morons Prider fans are (especially the losers over at priderfans.com).

It's really not that hard to show them up as a whole they are a bandwagoning mob of uneducated football fans.

Red John
11-08-2012, 10:02 PM

Couldn't agree more.

The CFL is basically like ECHL hockey. It's a minor professional league, but media has put this idea out there that following it is such a "Canadian thing to do" just like drinking Tim Hortons coffee.

It's no surprise that the biggest cities in the country with the most white collar, wealthy, educated population are the ones that support the CFL the least. They tend to realize it's a marketing scheme and how truly awful the league is.

Seriously? A league with eight teams? One owner owns two different teams? Where referees basically are volunteers (and it shows)? And a GM can sabotage their own team on purpose?

What's hilarious is how people actually believe it's a better brand of football. Here's an idea: let's create a league with six teams, only two downs, a 120 yard field and 13 players on each side. We'll make it wider than its length. You get two points for missing field goals. And no running allowed, only passing and receivers get a 50-yard head start before the snap.

Would you watch that league? Didn't think so.

People need to remember it is only the CFL. It's a good example of why Americans just point and laugh at Canada sometimes. It isn't worth filling up the airwaves with, in which case this entire suspension controversy could have been avoided.

Don't hear people on the radio talking about the AHL or the WNBA or stuff like that often in Canada. Same should go for the Comedy Football League.

Attending a CFL game is great for taking the family out for a nice afternoon and having a barbecue. But it shouldn't be given major radio or media attention like the NHL, NFL, etc.

That's the real problem here.

sclitheroe
11-08-2012, 10:03 PM
I feel bad for Molberg because he didn't say anything racist or worthy of suspension.

This time.

http://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthread.php?t=57547

Regardless, this time and last people here have declared him to be of sound character, so one has to assume the apologies are sincere, and its a case of the mouth outrunning the brain from time to time.

nik-
11-08-2012, 10:05 PM
Yeah, Tim Horton's is a good comparison for the CFL. Swallowing a subpar product out of misguided patriotism.

OldDutch
11-08-2012, 10:08 PM

Thank you. My motto for the CFL: It's great when the stamps win, but hey, if they lose it's just the CFL *shrug*

RedMileDJ
11-08-2012, 10:19 PM
Just brutal.

I didn't realize how many people disliked the CFL on here. Sure it's not the NFL, but it is fun to watch and take in a game here and there. I don't think it deserves some of these comments.

BTW: I know little to nothing about the CFL, but I'm still a fan and try to watch a game here and there. I guess I'm patriotic like that, and like to support Canadian sports.

To add: I'm not suggesting any of you are unpatriotic, because of your dislike for the CFL. :)

pylon
11-08-2012, 10:21 PM
Couldn't agree more.

The CFL is basically like ECHL hockey. It's a minor professional league, but media has put this idea out there that following it is such a "Canadian thing to do" just like drinking Tim Hortons coffee.

It's no surprise that the biggest cities in the country with the most white collar, wealthy, educated population are the ones that support the CFL the least. They tend to realize it's a marketing scheme and how truly awful the league is.

Seriously? A league with eight teams? One owner owns two different teams? Where referees basically are volunteers (and it shows)? And a GM can sabotage their own team on purpose?

What's hilarious is how people actually believe it's a better brand of football. Here's an idea: let's create a league with six teams, only two downs, a 120 yard field and 13 players on each side. We'll make it wider than its length. You get two points for missing field goals. And no running allowed, only passing and receivers get a 50-yard head start before the snap.

People need to remember it is only the CFL. It's a good example of why Americans just point and laugh at Canada sometimes. It isn't worth filling up the airwaves with, in which case this entire suspension controversy could have been avoided.

Don't hear people on the radio talking about the AHL or the WNBA or stuff like that often in Canada. Same should go for the Comedy Football League.

Attending a CFL game is great for taking the family out for a nice afternoon and having a barbecue. But it shouldn't be given major radio or media attention like the NHL, NFL, etc.

This^^^
Couldn't have said it better myself.

You can debate which league has better rules until you are blue in the face. But once you attend an NFL game in person, (and I recommend sitting no more than 10 rows from the sideline to grasp it.) you will grasp how incredibly inferior both the game and athletes are up here.

Any league that has a 1 in 8 chance in winning a championship every year isn't a league, it is a division.

I will watch a CFL game if I don't have anything to do around the house. But once something more pressing comes up like cutting my toenails, or inspecting my cutlery for water spots....unfortunately it has to take a back seat.

MissTeeks
11-08-2012, 10:23 PM
People who rag on the CFL really grind my gears. Oops, wrong thread.

moon
11-08-2012, 10:24 PM

That's not true.

Unless you only consider Toronto as "most white collar, wealthy, educated population" cities.

Fluffy Bunnies
11-08-2012, 10:26 PM
I really wish the Fan would talk less (ie none)CFL and more NFL and (hell any) English Premier League.

The CFL is a gong show to put it mildly. All the reasons outlined above and their import rule that makes teams take in inferior Canadian "athletes" is stupid. Im also waiting for the day a team wins the Grey Cup on a missed field goal. The rouge rule is terrible and showcases the CFL for what it really is: a bush league.

If the CFL wants to be taken seriously, they need to switch over to American football rules and abolish domestic player quotas. I long for the what the CFL could be, but definitely not what it is now: laughable.

moon
11-08-2012, 10:27 PM
But once you attend an NFL game in person, (and I recommend sitting no more than 10 rows from the sideline to grasp it.) you will grasp how incredibly inferior both the game and athletes are up here.

I have been to an NFL game and it didn't change my opinion of the CFL at all.

moon
11-08-2012, 10:28 PM
This time.

http://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthread.php?t=57547

Regardless, this time and last people here have declared him to be of sound character, so one has to assume the apologies are sincere, and its a case of the mouth outrunning the brain from time to time.

Those are seriously the comments that you are whining about in this thread?

taco.vidal
11-08-2012, 10:31 PM
Booo-urns FAN960. Giving into pressure.

Don Cherry
11-08-2012, 10:31 PM
Nothing worse then NFL fans trashing the CFL.

For the record I like both leagues.

The NFL elitism is lame.

pylon
11-08-2012, 10:33 PM
That's not true.

Unless you only consider Toronto as "most white collar, wealthy, educated population" cities.

Vancouver and Toronto play to half empty buildings, if not more, every week. These are metropolis's of over 2 million people each.

Green Bay, however, a city of 105,000 manages to sell out every game and has approximately a 30 year waiting list for seasons tickets (but at the current rate of turnover it is something like a thousand years.)

RogerWilco
11-08-2012, 10:34 PM
This^^^
Couldn't have said it better myself.

You can debate which league has better rules until you are blue in the face. But once you attend an NFL game in person, (and I recommend sitting no more than 10 rows from the sideline to grasp it.) you will grasp how incredibly inferior both the game and athletes are up here.

Any league that has a 1 in 8 chance in winning a championship every year isn't a league, it is a division.

I will watch a CFL game if I don't have anything to do around the house. But once something more pressing comes up like cutting my toenails, or inspecting my cutlery for water spots....unfortunately it has to take a back seat.
I lived in Denver for almost 10 years. Went to at least 2 bronco games every year, including the two years they won the Super Bowl. I 100% disagree with you. The NFL is as commercial as it gets, and if there were not 70000 at those games, there would be nothing that made it better than a CFL game.

I lived down there for a long time and I cant stand wana be Americans since I came back.

GreenLantern2814
11-08-2012, 10:35 PM
Couldn't agree more.

Pretty sure the most well-attended CFL team resides in BC at the moment.

Secondly, do you think newspapers in Sweden don't cover Modo or other elite league teams because they aren't the NHL? Of course not, and they'd be foolish not to.

The CFL is what it is; minor pro football. That said, it's also a league with a hundred years of history behind it. So it's not exactly the ECHL. It's not even close, seeing as it's not the same game. But sure, let's just be exactly like America, because that's always interesting.

People who prefer the CFL would never say that the athletes involved are superior, but I suppose you're going to tell them they should find the NFL more enjoyable. Care to tell them how much sex is appropriate for requisite satisfaction while you're at it?

Third point, the Fan STRUGGLES under the best of circumstances to fill air time. But sure, let's not talk about a league that averages 300+ thousand per telecast because you don't think it's as good as the NFL. Never mind that 26,000+ in this city go out regularly to the games.

Seriously? A league with 8 teams, that's real bush. Not at all like the NHL... Oh wait. The league was actually made up of THREE teams in 1918. How dare they, they should've taken their pucks and gone home.

Americans point and laugh at Canada sometimes because they're #######s. Through the sterile wonderland of the internet, you smell like an #######. Here's an idea: let's have a message board where you never post anything. You're the problem, ass######.

Red John
11-08-2012, 10:35 PM
That's not true.

2012 average attendance:

Vancouver 30,356 (2.3 million population)
Calgary 28,665 (1.2 million population)
Montreal 22,457 (1.9 million population)
Toronto 23,690 (6.1 million population)

now look at

Regina 32,351 (200,000 population)
Winnipeg 27,981 (700,000 population)
Hamilton 25,724 (500,000 population)

Really the only exception to this theory is Edmonton 34,318 (800,000 population). And it's hard to refer to Edmonton as either a white-collar educated city or a backwater dump. They are sort of in the middle.

So yes, point still stands.

Source: http://stats.cfldb.ca/league/cfl/2012/attendance/

RedMileDJ
11-08-2012, 10:37 PM
I lived down there for a long time and I cant stand wana be Americans since I came back.

So supporting NFL over CFL makes you a "wana be American"? :blink:

While I can appreciate your support for the CFL, I don't understand that statement.

GreenLantern2814
11-08-2012, 10:38 PM
Vancouver and Toronto play to half empty buildings, if not more, every week. These are metropolis's of over 2 million people each.

Green Bay, however, a city of 105,000 manages to sell out every game and has approximately a 30 year waiting list for seasons tickets (but at the current rate of turnover it is something like a thousand years.)

Vancouver's building holds 65,000 people dummy. And attendence in Toronto is clearly no measure of a sport's worth. If it were, the Blue Jays would've become a AA team by now.

Clearly the CFL, outside of the playoffs/Grey Cup, is not a 65,000/game sport. It's a 25-35 thousand a game sport, and it's completely fine being that.

Why would you assume that a league with 24 fewer teams and 300 million fewer people to draw from, would be on equal footing with the biggest sports league in the world?

pylon
11-08-2012, 10:38 PM
I lived in Denver for almost 10 years. Went to at least 2 bronco games every year, in cluding the two years they won the super bowl. I 100% disagree with you. The NFL is as commercial as it gets, and it there wre not 70000 at those games, there would be nothing that made it better than a CFL game.

I would never want to be an American. I love Canada. And I still believe hockey is still the greatest game in the world. So I am a homer to that extent.

We just have a really bad, really pathetic football league that being compared to the NFL is like comparing a Kia Rio to Bentley Continental.

moon
11-08-2012, 10:40 PM

BC had the third highest attendance in the league this past year and likely would have been there in 2011 if not for playing in a small stadium while renovations to their stadium were being made. Higher than such white, class educated cities of Hamilton and Winnipeg.

Calgary has been top 3 in attendance for a long time. Not sure if that qualifies as white collar or educated enough.

The only thing in terms of CFL attendance and cities that are linked is that the CFL is more popular in the West compared to the East.

Its great that GB gets a ton of fans to its game but the argument isn't if the NFL is more popular or not it is the stupid notion that "white collar, educated cities" in Canada don't support the CFL.

GreenLantern2814
11-08-2012, 10:41 PM
I really wish the Fan would talk less (ie none)CFL and more NFL and (hell any) English Premier League.

The CFL is a gong show to put it mildly. All the reasons outlined above and their import rule that makes teams take in inferior Canadian "athletes" is stupid. Im also waiting for the day a team wins the Grey Cup on a missed field goal. The rouge rule is terrible and showcases the CFL for what it really is: a bush league.

If the CFL wants to be taken seriously, they need to switch over to American football rules and abolish domestic player quotas. I long for the what the CFL could be, but definitely not what it is now: laughable.

The rules are what make it unique. If it switches over to the American rules, then it's just the UFL in Canada. The UFL that just folded. Because Americans don't want to watch NFL-rules football if it's not the NFL.

moon
11-08-2012, 10:42 PM
2012 average attendance:

Vancouver 30,356 (2.3 million population)
Calgary 28,665 (1.2 million population)
Montreal 22,457 (1.9 million population)
Toronto 23,690 (6.1 million population)

now look at

Regina 32,351 (200,000 population)
Winnipeg 27,981 (700,000 population)
Hamilton 25,724 (500,000 population)

Really the only exception to this theory is Edmonton 34,318 (800,000 population). And it's hard to refer to Edmonton as either a white-collar educated city or a backwater dump. They are sort of in the middle.

So yes, point still stands.

Source: http://stats.cfldb.ca/league/cfl/2012/attendance/

How is Calgary and BC not exceptions since they beat out smaller, blue collar cities in Hamilton and Winnipeg?

Red John
11-08-2012, 10:43 PM
Pretty sure the most well-attended CFL team resides in BC at the moment.

Wrong.

Secondly, do you think newspapers in Sweden don't cover Modo or other elite league teams because they aren't the NHL? Of course not, and they'd be foolish not to.

The CFL is what it is; minor pro football. That said, it's also a league with a hundred years of history behind it. So it's not exactly the ECHL. It's not even close, seeing as it's not the same game. But sure, let's just be exactly like America, because that's always interesting.

Never said people should watch the NFL. Didn't even talk about the NFL other than mentioning that they are a tier I professional league like NHL.

People who prefer the CFL would never say that the athletes involved are superior, but I suppose you're going to tell them they should find the NFL more enjoyable. Care to tell them how much sex is appropriate for requisite satisfaction while you're at it?

:blink:

Third point, the Fan STRUGGLES under the best of circumstances to fill air time. But sure, let's not talk about a league that averages 300+ thousand per telecast because you don't think it's as good as the NFL. Never mind that 26,000+ in this city go out regularly to the games.

In a city of over 1 million people? 26,000? That isn't really impressive.

Seriously? A league with 8 teams, that's real bush. Not at all like the NHL... Oh wait. The league was actually made up of THREE teams in 1918. How dare they, they should've taken their pucks and gone home.

Why are we comparing to 1918? Should things be the exact same as they are then? The difference between NHL and CFL is one league has actually expanded and become a major professinal league. The other has gone nowhere since then.

Americans point and laugh at Canada sometimes because they're #######s. Through the sterile wonderland of the internet, you smell like an #######. Here's an idea: let's have a message board where you never post anything. You're the problem, ass######.

That's not very nice. :(

Red John
11-08-2012, 10:44 PM
How is Calgary and BC not exceptions since they beat out smaller, blue collar cities in Hamilton and Winnipeg?

Attendance percentage to population. They didn't beat them out.

EDIT: It appears some folks are getting the wrong idea by the earlier post. Not making this into a "NFL vs CFL" debate. Haven't even talked about the NFL. So don't miss the point. This is not about how the NFL is better. This is just about how the CFL has to be the worst league to get the level of media attention that they do in Canada.

GreenLantern2814
11-08-2012, 10:46 PM
I would never want to be an American. I love Canada. And I still believe hockey is still the greatest game in the world. So I am a homer to that extent.

We just have a really bad, really pathetic football league that being compared to the NFL is like comparing a Kia Rio to Bentley Continental.

Nobody who likes the CFL wants to spend any time comparing it to the NFL. We love it when guys like Cam Wake and Brandon Browner go down and make the pro bowl and end up on NFL Network's top 100 player lists.

You know who people who rag on the CFL for being 'inferior' are? They're the jocks in high school who were banging the captain of the cheerleading squad, ragging on a normal guy for dating a normal girl. Stop being dicks.

Drake
11-08-2012, 10:46 PM
That took longer than I expected. :pop:

moon
11-08-2012, 10:47 PM
Attendance percentage to population. They didn't beat them out.

Who cares about percentage to population?

Calgary, BC, Edmonton clearly care and support their teams and outside of maybe Edmonton, hard to say that they aren't white collar, educated fans.

Again the thing that links cities to fans is West vs. East not some made up BS about white collar, education.

RogerWilco
11-08-2012, 10:47 PM

Then you don't undersatnd football at all. And you seem to love the american media.

pylon
11-08-2012, 10:49 PM
I will give the CFL props for one thing however. Their players truly play for the love of the game. How many pro leagues where every single game is televised, relies on it's athletes to work second jobs?

I have always admired that about the CFL, but on the other hand, it is really quite sad when you think about it, considering what 10 years of semi-pro football does to a mans body.

Don Cherry
11-08-2012, 10:50 PM
Question to CFL bashers

What's the point of trashing the CFL?

Canadians like football and want to see it live. The CFL provides that.

moon
11-08-2012, 10:51 PM
I always find it funny how offended the anti-CFLer morons get and try to make it into a comparison to the NFL as if that matters at all.

They are two different leagues with two different rules.

The NHL is pathetic compared to the NFL does that mean that nobody should follow it?

pylon
11-08-2012, 10:51 PM
Nobody who likes the CFL wants to spend any time comparing it to the NFL. We love it when guys like Cam Wake and Brandon Browner go down and make the pro bowl and end up on NFL Network's top 100 player lists.

You know who people who rag on the CFL for being 'inferior' are? They're the jocks in high school who were banging the captain of the cheerleading squad, ragging on a normal guy for dating a normal girl. Stop being dicks.

LOL, I wish!

GreenLantern2814
11-08-2012, 10:53 PM
Wrong.

Never said people should watch the NFL. Didn't even talk about the NFL other than mentioning that they are a tier I professional league like NHL.

In a city of over 1 million people? 26,000? That isn't really impressive.

Why are we comparing to 1918? Should things be the exact same as they are then? The difference between NHL and CFL is one league has actually expanded and become a major professinal league. The other has gone nowhere since then.

That's not very nice. :(

1. Okay; are we only talking about tier 1 pro sports leagues on the radio now? Because I really don't need to hear about the NCAA tournament ever again.

2. :blink:

3. Whether or not it's impressive is irrelevant; 26,000 people (In a down year for attendance, I should add) are interested enough to spend their time and money on a local sports team. That is a market that you would be ######ed to overlook, especially given the small amount of local content the Fan has to work with anyway.

4. Ottawa is getting another team next year. Outside of Ottawa, how many other places in Canada could you reasonably put a CFL team? Bearing in mind the astronomical costs of building stadiums for, what everyone will admit, is a minor pro team that will use it eight to ten times a year.

5. I'm confident you deserved it after that 'let's have a six team league with 50 yard head starts and no running'.

RogerWilco
11-08-2012, 10:53 PM
There is nothing semi-pro about the CFL. Unless you are a wana be american that has no respect for great football.

GreenLantern2814
11-08-2012, 10:54 PM
LOL, I wish!

So if you WERE dating the hottest girl in school, would you just be happy with that, or would you feel the need to express to everyone just how crappy their girlfriend was in comparison?

Red John
11-08-2012, 10:55 PM
Who cares about percentage to population?

It's important because it shows the demographics and supports the earlier point.

No one is saying that nobody in Calgary and B.C. cares about CFL. 26,000+ would disagree.

The point was that, a lower percentage of people in those cities, support the league than in Regina, etc.

You can always find a small group of people to support a cause any place you go. That however wasn't the point. The point was that by and large, the supposed "world-class" cities of Canada support the CFL at a much lower rate than those on the other end of the spectrum. It's a fact.

RedMileDJ
11-08-2012, 10:57 PM
There is nothing semi-pro about the CFL. Unless you are a wana be american that has no respect for great football.

Keep up that smug, ######y American stereo-type!

Mister Yamoto
11-08-2012, 10:58 PM
For those that say the station should lighten up, let me ask you what it would take to see him lose his job, in your opinion?

If that plane really does crash, Boomer should be gone for good!

pylon
11-08-2012, 10:59 PM
Question to CFL bashers

What's the point of trashing the CFL?

Canadians like football and want to see it live. The CFL provides that.

Questions to CFL basher, bashers.

Am I less of a Canadian for pointing out the CFL is hot garbage? Just because I live here, doesn't mean I have to blindly support the CFL. You know what, I prefer Starbucks to Tim's, because it is better tasting coffee.

Just because it is Canadian, doesn't mean I have to carve up a watermelon, throw it on my head with a police squad style cop car light, and run around in the stands swinging a cowbell in one hand whilst playing siren noises out of a radioshack megaphone in the other.

Hey, we club seals here too, should I blindly support that?

Curling is popular too, but I'd rather burn my groin with cigars than watch grown men shrieking at a boulder like they have a brain injury of some type. Does that make me less of a Canadian?

GreenLantern2814
11-08-2012, 11:00 PM
It's important because it shows the demographics and supports the earlier point.

No one is saying that nobody in Calgary and B.C. cares about CFL. 26,000+ would disagree.

The point was that, a lower percentage of people in those cities, support the league than in Regina, etc.

You can always find a small group of people to support a cause any place you go. That however wasn't the point. The point was that by and large, the supposed "world-class" cities of Canada support the CFL at a much lower rate than those on the other end of the spectrum. It's a fact.

And that proves what, exactly? Of course people in Regina support the Riders more than the people in Toronto support the Argos. There's stuff to do in Toronto.

There's probably also just a lower percentage of people in more metropolitan areas that want to watch live football.

For those of us in major Canadian population centers who DO want to watch live, high level football, the CFL is a wonderful thing to have. And I don't think any of us who do should be made to feel bad for enjoying it.

pylon
11-08-2012, 11:02 PM
So if you WERE dating the hottest girl in school, would you just be happy with that, or would you feel the need to express to everyone just how crappy their girlfriend was in comparison?

I be too busy making maps of the Hawaiian Islands all over her to have time to brag.

moon

But with most per capita arguments the little places involved are going to win out.

The "world class cities" in the US also support the major sports leagues in their cities less compared to the little working class cities.

Is the NFL a bush league because GB supports the Packers better than NY?

Jacksonville supports its team better than the non-existant team in LA?

Per Capita Buffalo gets a lot more fans than Chicago, Philadelphia and Miami. Are these not world class cities with educated fans. (Okay Philly may be a stretch there :D)

GreenLantern2814

Am I less of a Canadian for pointing out the CFL is hot garbage? Just because I live here, doesn't mean I have to blindly support the CFL. You know what, I prefer Starbucks to Tim's, because it is better tasting coffee.

Just because it is Canadian, doesn't mean I have to carve up a watermelon, throw it on my head with a police squad style cop car light, and run around in the stands swinging a cowbell in one hand whilst playing siren noises out of a radioshack megaphone in the other.

Curling is popular too, but I'd rather burn my groin with cigars than watch grown men shrieking at a boulder like they have a brain injury of some type. Does that make me less of a Canadian?

I don't like ice fishing, I don't feel the need to rip on people who enjoy ice fishing. It's less about you being unpatriotic and more about you being a dick.

You should support seal clubbing because there's a legitimate reason it happens. Because it's fun.

GreenLantern2814
11-08-2012, 11:03 PM
I be too busy making maps of the Hawaiian Islands all over her to have time to brag.

So you WOULD be a dick. Got it, thanks.

pylon
11-08-2012, 11:04 PM
I don't like ice fishing, I don't feel the need to rip on people who enjoy ice fishing. It's less about you being unpatriotic and more about you being a dick.

You should support seal clubbing because there's a legitimate reason it happens. Because it's fun.

moon

The only people telling others in this thread what they should and shouldn't support is you and Red John.

People supporting the CFL are pointing out that others like it.

I may have missed some posts but I don't see a lot of you have to like the CFL if you are Canadian in here but a lot of we like the CFL and there is nothing wrong with that.

RogerWilco
So supporting NFL over CFL makes you a "wana be American"? :blink:

While I can appreciate your support for the CFL, I don't understand that statement.
No, hate for the CFL does that. That shows me someone that doesn't have the lest bit of interest in the game. Just the hype that goes with it.

GreenLantern2814
Keep up that smug, ######y American stereo-type!

I cannot for the life of me figure out what you wrote here that got blotted out. Nor do I know why you bothered hyphenating 'stereotype'. Finally, I can't remember who's side you're on in this debacle.

Red John
11-08-2012, 11:05 PM
1. Okay; are we only talking about tier 1 pro sports leagues on the radio now? Because I really don't need to hear about the NCAA tournament ever again.

Well a vast majority of air time should definitely be spent on the mainstream leagues. That's how you get higher ratings. Everyone likes to rag on Nickelback but they keep selling albums and getting concerts because they are popular. Even if the mainstream music fans are "stupid" for doing so.

2. :blink::blink::blink: Not sure what sex had to do with anything.

3. Whether or not it's impressive is irrelevant; 26,000 people (In a down year for attendance, I should add) are interested enough to spend their time and money on a local sports team. That is a market that you would be ######ed to overlook, especially given the small amount of local content the Fan has to work with anyway.It's fine to touch on it here and there, but if comments like Boomer's are made then you know it's tough to fill airspace with quality discussion about it. /opinion

4. Ottawa is getting another team next year. Outside of Ottawa, how many other places in Canada could you reasonably put a CFL team? Bearing in mind the astronomical costs of building stadiums for, what everyone will admit, is a minor pro team that will use it eight to ten times a year.Exactly. My point wasn't to try and make the CFL into a 30-team league. Point was to recognize it for what it is and always will be (minor pro) and treat it as such in the media.

5. I'm confident you deserved it after that 'let's have a six team league with 50 yard head starts and no running'.I thought it was quite humorous. You didn't like the idea? Shame. Thought perhaps 26,000+ might enjoy watching it. Business opportunity!

Erick Estrada
11-08-2012, 11:06 PM
Holy smokes did this thread ever get sidetracked.

GreenLantern2814

You must be a riot at parties.

Random partier: Knock Knock
Pylon: Will somebody answer the goddamn door????? And #### the CFL!!!

RogerWilco

You just show that you don't understand football at all. In that case it means you follow american media hype. So yes, you are less Canadian.

pylon
11-08-2012, 11:07 PM
So because I have pointed out I do not like the CFL, and believe it is a inferior league, I have been called both a moron, unpatriotic and a dick.

Yet I do not recall name calling any specific person for liking the CFL.

edit...lol, and less of a Canadian. ^^^
edir, edit: Also a party pooper!

Wow!

moon
11-08-2012, 11:09 PM
Well a vast majority of air time should definitely be spent on the mainstream leagues. That's how you get higher ratings. Everyone likes to rag on Nickelback but they keep selling albums and getting concerts because they are popular. Even if the mainstream music fans are "stupid" for doing so.

I am not a huge fan of a lot of things that they do at the fan but from my days as a Fan Club member and as an assumption of basic business practices my guess is that they do a ton of market research to find out what their listeners want and what will bring listeners to the station.

My guess is that the reason that the CFL is talked about as much as it is is because they have found that people want to listen to it more than other topics.

I think Rome is a horrible show but can recognize that he gets a following and that is why he is on the station.

RedMileDJ
11-08-2012, 11:12 PM
I cannot for the life of me figure out what you wrote here that got blotted out. Nor do I know why you bothered hyphenating 'stereotype'. Finally, I can't remember who's side you're on in this debacle.

I cannot for the life of me figure out what you wrote here that got blotted out.
"Like a summer breeze"

Nor do I know why you bothered hyphenating 'stereotype'.
Yah, I don't know why I did either. I just did. Wasn't picked up by the grammar editor. :)

Finally, I can't remember who's side you're on in this debacle.
1. I support the CFL because it's Canadian and I like supporting Canadian sports.
2. The NFL is fun to watch.
3. I don't like people, or myself, being referred to as "wana be American" for watching the NFL. We all know being Canadian is awesome. ;)

Does all this help?

moon
11-08-2012, 11:14 PM
So because I have pointed out I do not like the CFL, and believe it is a inferior league, I have been called both a moron, unpatriotic and a dick.

Wow!

Nope if you had pointed out that you do not the league for the reasons you provided then I would have no problem with it but comments such as these:

The CFL hype is a product of 2 things:

Are not saying you think that it is a bad product but that everyone should think that.

Throw in a when I went to the NFL game I saw how inferior it was and a I think the CFL is hyped because of TSN and Rider fans and I have no issue with your comments at all.

The way you presented it was that nobody likes the game because they enjoy watching it but instead only because of TSN and them not going to an NFL game which is completely false.

The moron comment has nothing to do with people not liking the CFL that is fine, it has to do with the insulting of people that do like the CFL and it wasn't meant just for you specifically but for the many people that do it as well.

I have no problem if people don't like the CFL but I don't need them telling me why I am wrong for liking it.

pylon
11-08-2012, 11:16 PM
You must be a riot at parties.

Random partier: Knock Knock
Pylon: Will somebody answer the goddamn door????? And #### the CFL!!!

That is the most non-sequitir statement ever directed at me...lol.

You could have also said:

I can imagine you flying your steam powered wheel-barrow to the forest, and I thrusting your pancreas in the air shouting. "Damn you CFL, damn you to hell!"

I can't make the connection of:

Doesn't like CFL = Bad party host

Red John
11-08-2012, 11:18 PM
My guess is that the reason that the CFL is talked about as much as it is is because they have found that people want to listen to it more than other topics.

Perhaps. That's a reasonable assumption for sure. One just has to wonder if the Fan didn't rush to address the symptom (by suspending Boomer) instead of identifying a possible underlying problem instead.

Rogers media shouldn't be given a complete benefit of the doubt in the quality of their product and how they produce it. TSN has time and again proven to be superior quality on TV and if they launched TSN radio in Calgary would likely destroy the FAN (other than the latters Flames broadcast rights).

But that's another topic of discussion altogether.

RedMileDJ
11-08-2012, 11:18 PM
That is the most non-sequitir statement ever directed at me...lol.

You could have also said:

I can imagine you flying your steam powered wheel-barrow to the forest, and I thrusting your pancreas in the air shouting. "Damn you CFL, damn you to hell!"

I can't make the connection of:

Doesn't like CFL = Bad party host

The highlighted part just made me burst out laughing. So loud in fact that my son just woke up. I better go check on him.

Can I use that in a signature, Pylon?

GreenLantern2814
11-08-2012, 11:19 PM

:blink::blink: Not sure what sex had to do with anything.

It's fine to touch on it here and there, but if comments like Boomer's are made then you know it's tough to fill airspace with quality discussion about it. /opinion

Exactly. My point wasn't to try and make the CFL into a 30-team league. Point was to recognize it for what it is and always will be (minor pro) and treat it as such in the media.

I thought it was quite humorous. You didn't like the idea? Shame. Thought perhaps 26,000+ might enjoy watching it. Business opportunity!

1. The CFL in Canada is mainstream. It has the numbers in both attendance and television to back it up. The Fan broadcasts Fox sports radio on weekends, and used to broadcast ESPN. I'd love to know how their numbers did vs regular programming. And don't bring up Rome vs the rest of the Fan; Rome is arguably the best sports talk show host in North America, he's in his own class.

2. Comments like Boomer's could have been made about any team we don't like. If he'd said it about the Canucks, would that have made it okay? Or should we stop talking about hockey because it's a distant 4th in America? His comments reflect a genuine dislike in this city for the Saskatchewan Roughriders and their fans. Is it petty or childish? Of course. But no amount of discounting from you or others will change the fact that the relationship between Rider fans and the city of Calgary is part of our cultural lexicon. Denying that is stupid.

3. TSN makes a killing on the CFL. Why exactly would they want to treat it as a minor pro sport? Hell, the only reason any sports league makes money in the first place is because media outlets treat it as something more important than it actually is.

4. Hopefully not all of your jokes are that condescending.

I will agree that the CFL does itself no favors most of the time. Its web experience is HORRIAWFUL. Its mobile app is a disaster. It doesn't do a good job marketing itself outside TSN broadcasts. These "Engraved on a Nation" documentaries are well-intentioned, but I cannot say I've been motivated to watch a single one, and I don't think they draw any new fans.

The league has its issues. But seeing as how the Grey Cup out-rates the Super Bowl in this country with regularity, it needs to figure out a way to be better, not be summarily dismissed because it isn't the best football league in the world.

And with that said, it IS the best football league in the world that operates under these rules. Same goes for the NFL.

moon
11-08-2012, 11:19 PM
Perhaps. That's a reasonable assumption for sure. One just has to wonder if the Fan didn't rush to address the symptom (by suspending Boomer) instead of identifying a possible underlying problem instead.

Rogers media shouldn't be given a complete benefit of the doubt in the quality of their product and how they produce it. TSN has time and again proven to be superior quality on TV and if they launched TSN radio in Calgary would likely destroy the FAN (other than the latters Flames broadcast rights).

But that's another topic of discussion altogether.

I agree with everything (except not sure I agree with the underlying problem part).

As for the another topic of discussion altogether, that is actually the topic of discussion we should be having in this thread rather than the off topic argument that has developed.

GreenLantern2814
11-08-2012, 11:22 PM

edir, edit: Also a party pooper!

Wow!

1. That's three things.

2. You're a party pooper because you didn't appear to get that 'because it's fun' as a reason for clubbing seals is a joke. That's clearly not why we do it. Bullets are expensive and those little #######s blend right into the ice.

Red John
11-08-2012, 11:22 PM
You just show that you don't understand football at all. In that case it means you follow american media hype. So yes, you are less Canadian.

Off-topic so hidden
If you have a lawnmower, you therefore have a lawn.
If you have a lawn, you therefore have a house.
If you have a house, you therefore have a family.
If you have a family, you therefore are married heterosexually.
If you are married heterosexually, you therefore are straight.

If you don't have a lawnmower, you therefore are gay.

Deductive reasoning. Poor pylon.

Anyways, back on topic. The Boomer suspension. Over-reaction by the Fan? Or justly deserved?

Wonder if perhaps the fact that Boomer is a repeat offender played into it.

GreenLantern2814
11-08-2012, 11:25 PM
If you have a lawnmower, you therefore a lawn.
If you have a lawn, you therefore have a house.
If you have a house, you therefore have a family.
If you have a family, you therefore are married heterosexually.
If you are married heterosexually, you therefore are straight.

If you don't have a lawnmower, you therefore are gay.

Deductive reasoning. Poor pylon.

No No no no no. If you don't have a lawnmower, you're bi. If you don't have a LAWN, then you're gay. Rookie mistake.

Don Cherry
11-08-2012, 11:26 PM
Nice to see the Red John and Pylon ignore my questions from the last page.

GreenLantern2814
11-08-2012, 11:26 PM
Nice to see the Red John and Pylon ignore my questions from the last page.

Quiet you, they're dealing with me and Moon.

pylon
11-08-2012, 11:27 PM
Nope if you had pointed out that you do not the league for the reasons you provided then I would have no problem with it but comments such as these:

<snip>.

Moon, it is not up for debate what league has better athletes, or is a better league... period. You can divvy up the population, the fans per city per capita, etc... at the end of the day, the NFL will win by a million miles. Cowboys stadium alone, is worth the entire value of the CFL X 20. You could get a CFL franchise, for less than the annual salary of a mid level NFL QB.

Virtually every single CFL player aspires to make it to the NFL. And virtually every single player that tries, is cut. Even the best of our best are usually bench warmers, or practice roster players. I prefer to watch the best athletes in the world play, it is simple as that.

I actually would love to see NFL calibre athletes play under Canadian rules as an experiment. I actually like the Canadian rules better. But it simply isn't a comparison that can be made. Tiger Woods is still one of the best golfers on the planet regardless of the scoring format. If the CFL was that good, the NFL would be flooded with our players every year.

pylon
11-08-2012, 11:29 PM
The highlighted part just made me burst out laughing. So loud in fact that my son just woke up. I better go check on him.

Can I use that in a signature, Pylon?

Please do.

RedMileDJ
11-08-2012, 11:32 PM
Please do.

niiiiiice.

Don Cherry
11-08-2012, 11:33 PM
Can we all just agree that we want the Stampeders to beat the Riders?

GreenLantern2814
11-08-2012, 11:34 PM
Moon, it is not up for debate what league has better athletes, or is a better league... period. You can divvy up the population, the fans per city per capita, etc... at the end of the day, the NFL will win by a million miles. Cowboys stadium alone, is worth the entire value of the CFL X 20. You could get a CFL franchise, for less than the annual salary of a mid level NFL QB.

Virtually every single CFL player aspires to make it to the NFL. And virtually every single player that tries, is cut. Even the best of our best are usually bench warmers, or practice roster players. I prefer to watch the best athletes in the world play, it is simple as that.

I actually would love to see NFL calibre athletes play under Canadian rules as an experiment. I actually like the Canadian rules better. But it simply isn't a comparison that can be made. Tiger Woods is still one of the best golfers on the planet regardless of the scoring format. If the CFL was that good, the NFL would be flooded with our players every year.

Virtually every player in the NCAA aspires to make the NFL. And by and large, they too are cut. There's

The best of our best who've gone to the NFL recently include Brandon Browner, Cornerback, Seattle Seahawks. Pro Bowler. Cameron Wake, OLB, Miami Dolphins. Pro Bowler, just signed a 4-year $49 million extension in May, a year after being named the 61st best player in the NFL according to an NFL network poll of all active NFL players.

There are ~1700 jobs available in the NFL. There are 250 NCAA schools. Guys gotta play somewhere, and right now the arena league and the CFL are the only places they've got. Oddly enough, both leagues are different enough from the NFL that people actually have a reason to watch them or go see them live. NFL Europe doesn't exist anymore for a reason.

pylon
11-08-2012, 11:34 PM

I'm down with that.

Red John
11-08-2012, 11:35 PM

The FAN doesn't. Would drop their ratings.

Maybe this is what the suspension is all about. Isn't Kelly Kirch from Saskatchewan anyway?

GreenLantern2814
11-08-2012, 11:36 PM
The FAN doesn't. Would drop their ratings.

Maybe this is what the suspension is all about. Isn't Kelly Kirch from Saskatchewan anyway?

Annnnnnnnnd with that we're back on topic. Dammit Kirch, you hack. You don't deserve your job. You owe everything to Darryl Sutter, Rob Kerr and Joe Sports. RUN AWAY. RUN AWAY FROM THE TRUTH!!!!

GreenLantern2814
11-08-2012, 11:37 PM

Drew Tate is going to lead an absolute curb stomping.

MaDMaN_26
11-08-2012, 11:38 PM
Why do we care what rider fans think? These are the same drunken ass clown's that I have personally seen punch cops, sucker punch a Stampeder fan who told them to quit swearing (knocked the guy out cold and left him bleeding on the ground as they ran away into the crowd), throw full cans of beers into "red" areas of the crowd. They are A-holes and wear that moniker like some badge of honor and call it "Rider Pride". Those fans and the Stampeders lack of ability or will to do anything about it are the sole reason I gave up my season tix a few years ago. They suck the fun out of going to a game.

A comment about their plane going down made in jest... that's nothing at all compared to the behavior these clowns bring to the game every time their team is in town. Screw Regina and its fans. They can all crash in planes and it will just make the CFL a nicer place.

moon
11-08-2012, 11:42 PM

Is anyone arguing any of that though?

I have no issue with people saying the NFL has better players, I agree with it. I also agree it is a bigger, more profitable, more popular league. But that doesn't mean I can't also enjoy the CFL.

In reality the NFL has nothing to do with whether people can and should like the CFL. It may be a factor for you but it doesn't mean that is the case for everyone else.

moon
11-08-2012, 11:51 PM
Anyways, back on topic. The Boomer suspension. Over-reaction by the Fan? Or justly deserved?

Wonder if perhaps the fact that Boomer is a repeat offender played into it.

It was an overreaction but not overly surprising coming from a big corporation like Rogers.

The outcry over a guy getting suspended for two weeks will be much smaller than the whining and moaning from the over reactors and it is much easier to placate the media around the country to just say they suspended him and basically end the story.

Stay Golden
11-08-2012, 11:53 PM
I emailed Kelly Kirch - Program Director
kelly.kirch@rci.rogers.com

regarding the subject of Boomer's comments not because of Boomer at all but I voiced my displeasure as a 960 fan with Kirch himself and this irrational decision he has publicly and professionally humiliated Dean Moberg with.
Kelly Kirch is nothing but a hypocrite especially when he goes overboard, way overboard about his Riders and enjoys shoving that creep, the voice of the Riders Pederson in Calgary's fans ears.

Was Moberg's comment the wisest thing to say No. But Kelly Kirch's publicly embarrassing Moberg with that letter is a simple example of what kind of low class cut throat person he is. I would never want to work for a jerk like that JMO.

Knut
11-08-2012, 11:58 PM
^ hope you didn't use that spelling. Also, Mike Richards is no longer in Calgary (and has not been for some time).

pylon
11-09-2012, 12:12 AM
I always find it funny how offended the anti-CFLer morons get and try to make it into a comparison to the NFL as if that matters at all.

Where did I get offended? You might want to re-read through this thread, to figure out who got offended. People got so offended by me stating I don't like the CFL they resorted to name calling and personal insults. I didn't call down one poster in this thread. Nor did I call down one person for liking the CFL. I stated my opinion on it, period.

The moron comment has nothing to do with people not liking the CFL that is fine, it has to do with the insulting of people that do like the CFL and it wasn't meant just for you specifically but for the many people that do it as well.

Again, you chose to call me a moron, please direct me to the part of the thread where I did the same to you or anyone else. I am having a very difficult time locating the post where I did.

moon
11-09-2012, 12:20 AM
Where did I get offended? You might want to re-read through this thread, to figure out who got offended. People got so offended by me stating I don't like the CFL they resorted to name calling and personal insults. I didn't call down one poster in this thread. Nor did I call down one person for liking the CFL. I stated my opinion on it, period.

You left out the part of my post where I said that wasn't directed at you in specific.

As I stated above stating that the CFL is popular only because of TSN and Rider fans as well as that if people go to NFL they will see that the CFL is an inferior league belittles the league and the fans of it.

If you stated that when you went to a game that is how you felt and that you feel that TSN and the Riders artificially hype the game then that is fine but the definitive way you presented those things makes it seem that nobody can like the game because they enjoy it.

Again, you chose to call me a moron, please direct me to the part of the thread where I did the same to you or anyone else. I am having a very difficult time locating the post where I did.Once again I didn't say Pylon I said anti-CFLers which is a group that includes many people both on this site and off of it.

By saying that the things mentioned above you are insulting the people that like the CFL by saying there is no reason for them to like it because NFL is better and TSN/Rider hype it up.

If you are not Anti-CFL and just don't personally like it then you are not included in the group I referred to as morons so you have no need to be offended.

RogerWilco
11-09-2012, 12:40 AM

You just don't ####ing get it at all do you?

SportsJunky
11-09-2012, 05:40 AM
Kelly Kirsh is a dirty Roughriders fan. He is going the extra mile to punish Molberg because of this fact.

Radio
11-09-2012, 09:18 AM
Boomer is a clown when it comes to making death comments about people. It's not the first time, but every time he does it I am aghast that he says something like that...especially on air.

As an example, I think it was about a year and a half or so ago that he said something along the lines of "I am sure his family wishes he were dead". He was talking about Pat Steinberg at the time, Walker took a bit of exception with the comment and he quickly gave the ole "I am kidding" defense.

I find it offensive and insensitive. I could give a rats a$$ about what Riders fans think, but what do the families think.

troutman
11-09-2012, 09:33 AM
What do CFL bashers say about NCAA football? NCAA is not great football. The spectacle is fantastic, but the product is lacking.

Cowperson
11-09-2012, 09:37 AM
Boomer is a clown when it comes to making death comments about people. It's not the first time, but every time he does it I am aghast that he says something like that...especially on air.

As an example, I think it was about a year and a half or so ago that he said something along the lines of "I am sure his family wishes he were dead". He was talking about Pat Steinberg at the time, Walker took a bit of exception with the comment and he quickly gave the ole "I am kidding" defense.

I find it offensive and insensitive. I could give a rats a$$ about what Riders fans think, but what do the families think.

Well, he won't be doing that again and that's for sure.

Although I think Boomer's apology was genuine and written by himself, the complete package of retraction, suspension and moving away from him by the company has the Roger's PR department written all over it.

It was quick and thorough.

Getting him out of the way for the rest of the CFL season is probably wise not only for the FAN960 but also for Boomer frankly. He should thank them for that. He's probably getting threats and getting out of town for awhile is the smart thing to do.

We'll see if time heals this.

We'll have to see what his strategy is when he returns . . . . . drop it and never mention it again or address it? There is always going to be a fanatical element that won't let it go though. He's going to be hearing about it 20 years from now. It's a very public job and the nutbars always know where you are and how to talk to you. Everytime he takes a call-in, someone could bring it up.

Cowperson

SportsJunky
11-09-2012, 09:39 AM
Rod Petersen (voice of the riders) was interviewed on Global Saskatoon today. I'm paraphrasing but he said something to the effect of " I'm going to be on that same plane. Why would he jinx a flight like that? WHY?". He was serious. Rod Petersen is a boob.

Bobblehead
11-09-2012, 09:44 AM
So when the story blew up, Fan960 increased the penalties. Or they did it simply to let the whole thing cool down.

I wasn't listening when the incident occurred, and it was clearly over the line. But as a regular listener, I know Walker and Warrener are big Rider fans and there is often a bunch of kibitzing as they rile each other up. It doesn't excuse what happened but it is easy to see how it happened.

Let Boomer sit until Bryn steps down, then put Boomer in the afternoon with Steinberg.

But they had better keep Boomer - he is one of the few guys who keep things interesting. There are a lot of guys who know their stuff at 960, but many of them (Walker, Steinberg) are pretty dry. The Fan needs Boomer.

Talk radio must be a really tough gig - to be knowledgeable, able to have and defend an opinion, and be interesting/entertaining, and to do that for hours a day, every day; anything live to air is one hell of a skill.

The Goon
11-09-2012, 10:04 AM
Rod Petersen (voice of the riders) was interviewed on Global Saskatoon today. I'm paraphrasing but he said something to the effect of " I'm going to be on that same plane. Why would he jinx a flight like that? WHY?". He was serious. Rod Petersen is a boob.

They should take a bus, then, if they believe in jinxes.

Man, did this thread get sidetracked.

GreenLantern2814
11-09-2012, 10:17 AM

Clearly, because you're one of the four Boomer allotted for death, you grandiose hack. Why don't you flash your Grey Cup ring Sunday like you deserve to have it?

North East Goon
11-09-2012, 10:22 AM
He said it, he apologized, I dont see why the guy deserves a suspension as well? And yes, I am a Riders fan and yes the Riders are gonna pull off another upset. :whistle:

troutman
11-09-2012, 10:22 AM
Winning 3 Grey Cups in 100 years in an 8 or 9 team league, is more a sign of a stopped clock being right twice a day, than any measure of excellence to be proud of.

GreenLantern2814
11-09-2012, 10:26 AM
So when the story blew up, Fan960 increased the penalties. Or they did it simply to let the whole thing cool down.

I wasn't listening when the incident occurred, and it was clearly over the line. But as a regular listener, I know Walker and Warrener are big Rider fans and there is often a bunch of kibitzing as they rile each other up. It doesn't excuse what happened but it is easy to see how it happened.

Let Boomer sit until Bryn steps down, then put Boomer in the afternoon with Steinberg.

But they had better keep Boomer - he is one of the few guys who keep things interesting. There are a lot of guys who know their stuff at 960, but many of them (Walker, Steinberg) are pretty dry. The Fan needs Boomer.

Talk radio must be a really tough gig - to be knowledgeable, able to have and defend an opinion, and be interesting/entertaining, and to do that for hours a day, every day; anything live to air is one hell of a skill.

This is the problem with mass media in general. Everyone is so worried about offending people, so worried about crossing a line, that when something reasonably tame, like this situation, occurs, everyone loses their minds.

And Kirch/Rogers... You do realize that the Monday after this game, ALL of this will be forgotten? It will return to a message board meme and Boomer will be disliked in perpetuity, but only because people in Saskatchewan have nothing better to do than vehemently HATE people in Calgary. You won't be losing sponsors, and you won't have fan boycotts (Though I'd love to know how you can tell; I'm sure Shine FM has better ratings than 960.). Would you care to know why you won't have fan boycotts? Because that would be friggen exhausting and life's too short. We've got too many distractions, and too many REAL ISSUES to worry about before we get to punishing your sponsors because a guy made a moderately off-key remark at an hour when most peoples' brains are not functioning beyond 'stop go red light green light I wish I was still asleep'.

But sure, suspend the guy for making a joke. I'm sure that'll do wonders for your on-air product. Because if there's one thing creativity loves, it's being stuck in a very small box by some faceless suit or Kelly Kirch who couldn't get an infant to laugh if he had the worldwide monopoly on face paint and novelty horns.

Adam Carolla is right; radio programmers really are the cheapest, dumbest, most evil men in entertainment. Which is what you are, 960. Never forget that. You're here for our entertainment. You don't cover the Gaza strip or Wall Street. You cover games. Dance, muppets.

Erick Estrada
11-09-2012, 10:28 AM

Yes because the plane may crash now because of what Boomer said. I really hope the Stampeders win Sunday so Peterson can shut his trap for the winter. The guy was ranting yesterday like a kid on 960 because Griffiths predicted a Stamps blowout.

GreenLantern2814
He said it, he apologized, I dont see why the guy deserves a suspension as well? And yes, I am a Riders fan and yes the Riders are gonna pull off another upset. :whistle:

Your team is going to get destroyed. God wills it.

Is that also a plane crash joke? I can't tell. Kelly Kirch, please enlighten me so I know to whom I should direct my apology.

North East Goon
The funniest thing is Calgary or Saskatchewan are just going to get trounced by the Lions the following week. I guess the one week of bragging rights is worth getting in a big fuss over.

North East Goon
11-09-2012, 10:31 AM
Yes because the plane may crash now because of what Boomer said. I really hope the Stampeders win Sunday so Peterson can shut his trap for the winter.

I dont mind Peterson in comparison to his side kick who keeps calling him Roddy over and over again during a game. It freaking drives me nuts.

The Yen Man
11-09-2012, 10:44 AM
Yah, they better not be canning Boomer. The Fan is already thin on talent as is, and I would say without Kerr there, Boomer's pretty much the best guy they have right now. Dumb comment by him, but I'm sure it was a heat of the moment "rile up" Warrener and Walker comment. I'm pretty sure he doesn't actually hope the plane crashes.

And I saw that Peterson clip on Global. The guy made himself look like a ######-tard with is over the top reaction.

North East Goon
11-09-2012, 10:55 AM
Peterson is now adding fuel to the hatred of Saskatchewan that Boomer already has.

jschick88
11-09-2012, 11:25 AM
Jason Deforest moving to the mornings.

Gonna miss working w/ @Fan960Steinberg (https://twitter.com/Fan960Steinberg) (literally the hardest worker in this biz) and @Fan960Griffiths (https://twitter.com/Fan960Griffiths) (been everywhere, seen everything).

I start producing the Morning Show next week. Was looking forward to kicking it off with @fan960boomer (https://twitter.com/fan960boomer) - I expect a WWE-style comeback.

FurnaceFace
11-09-2012, 11:25 AM
It's in poor taste because the team did have such an event happen when they lost four star players. Because of that it does cross a line. Suspension worthy? Not sure about that as I missed the context of the comment. If it was said in a moment of trash talking or banter with the other on air guys then I would think an apology would be sufficient. Saying "I got caught up in the moment" would be enough for me.

I grew up in Regina so I still bleed green but living in Calgary for years now this rivalry thing is pretty funny to me. I see no reason for Stamps fans to really bother. Let the Rider fans be passionate about football while you can quietly think about your booming economy, chinooks, mountains, and everything else this city has going for it.

sclitheroe
11-09-2012, 12:11 PM
It's in poor taste because the team did have such an event happen when they lost four star players.

There was also a fair bit of media attention recently about Edwin Harrison II on the Stamps and his reconciliation with his father's family as he learned about his football playing grandfather, who also died in a plane crash. I heard about it on the CBC, it was in print, and also on TV on TSN.

Nobody has mentioned that in the thread so far I don't think, but it definitely adds fuel to a fire that might have just smouldered otherwise.

GreenLantern2814
11-09-2012, 12:33 PM
It's in poor taste because the team did have such an event happen when they lost four star players. Because of that it does cross a line. Suspension worthy? Not sure about that as I missed the context of the comment. If it was said in a moment of trash talking or banter with the other on air guys then I would think an apology would be sufficient. Saying "I got caught up in the moment" would be enough for me.

I grew up in Regina so I still bleed green but living in Calgary for years now this rivalry thing is pretty funny to me. I see no reason for Stamps fans to really bother. Let the Rider fans be passionate about football while you can quietly think about your booming economy, chinooks, mountains, and everything else this city has going for it.

If he's making fun of an actual event, then logically, that should be all you need to realize he's making a joke.

GreenLantern2814
11-09-2012, 12:34 PM
Also, this belongs here. It's worth everyone's time to watch it.

fjIuPSuYSOY

JiriHrdina
11-09-2012, 01:51 PM
http://www.calgarysun.com/2012/11/08/calgary-sportsnet-radio-host-dean-molberg-apologizes-for-expressing-hope-riders-plane-crashes

Good piece from Francis

Northendzone
11-09-2012, 02:23 PM
i'd say that EF is bang on!!!

Timbo
11-10-2012, 06:04 AM
Sheesh after reading all of this thread and its derailing I just hope my computer does not crash. :bag:

troutman
11-10-2012, 12:16 PM
My two cents:

I don't see how this was a "throw-away" comment by Boomer. There was some forethought to the comment, as he was connecting the historical plane tragedy to the present-day Riders.

If the comment was so offensive, why was Boomer not suspended right away, but only after pressure from Rider nation?

A regrettable comment, but I believe the apology was sincere and sufficient.

Northendzone
11-10-2012, 05:33 PM
I wonder if that tsn show brought this whole thing to the top of his mind, I mean, I had never heard the story before.

Julio
11-11-2012, 12:14 AM
http://www.calgarysun.com/2012/11/08/calgary-sportsnet-radio-host-dean-molberg-apologizes-for-expressing-hope-riders-plane-crashes

Good piece from Francis

I have absolutely no love of Francis, but this piece is reasoned and right on the mark.

GreenLantern2814
11-11-2012, 10:30 PM
Very quickly, is anyone going to deny that the end of today's game was not absolutely thrilling?

troutman
11-12-2012, 09:11 AM
Very quickly, is anyone going to deny that the end of today's game was not absolutely thrilling?

But, but, Da Bears kicked two field goals at home!

GreenLantern2814
11-12-2012, 01:57 PM
Also, tv numbers are in. 1.2 million watched the east semi, 1.6 million watched the west.

But it's a marketing gimmick and nobody in Canada cares. :)

calgaryrocks
11-12-2012, 02:20 PM
That would be like 10.6 million and and 14.2 million americans watching something in the states (if you strictly compare based on population). that is pretty good for competing with the big bad NFL, for a marketing gimmick

RogerWilco
11-12-2012, 03:50 PM
I was at the game last night and it was one of the most exciting games of any kind I have ever seen in person. That includes many Flames play off games in the past. :w00t:

Coys1882
11-12-2012, 04:28 PM
:bag: As a Sasky native and a Riders fan - I'm embarrassed by all these idiots crying for his head. He wasn't making fun of a plane crash that happened - but jokingly wished one would. An AM sports radio DJ does not have the ability to effect the cosmic forces of our existence with his very words. This just gives more credence that people from Sask are mindless simpletons. #embarrassedtobegreen

FurnaceFace
11-12-2012, 04:54 PM
As another Sask native and Rider fan I agree this got blown up a bit. It was a poor comment and one which shouldn't have really been said. It's worthy of an apology but the suspension is a little much depending on what the suspension really is. (As an aside, do we know if he was just suspended from on air or suspended without pay? I suspect no pay but I don't know if that was confirmed/will be confirmed.) This does happen all the time though with people in the public eye. Once a large enough portion of the general population feels something you've said or done is evil then you're going to get punished for it. That's the way it works (unless you represent Calgary West :whistle:).

In this case he's being punished for a comment made in he middle of sports banter. I'm sure most of what these guys say is off the cuff. It's not scripted like the talking heads on the TV sports programs. They may have talking points but the comments made in between are on the fly. I suspect this is part of the appeal in talk radio, comments aren't well thought out and are therefore more raw. Sometimes these guys come up with comments they regret just like any of us.

I'd say the danger for the radio station is they end up with on air personalities who are afraid to say what comes to them naturally which would take a lot of personality out of the program. Watering down the morning show to three guys who are reading from a script would be bad for business in my mind.

Also, the end of that game was a treat to watch no matter which team won. It was a showcase of what makes the CFL a fun league to watch. The human interest story of Tate also made this Rider fan happy for him that he won. Not keep it running Stamps and get a cup. Win it for Gran.

taco.vidal
11-15-2012, 08:02 AM
Loubardias sitting in with Bryn in the mornings. What a combo. Ugh.

North East Goon
11-15-2012, 08:11 AM
Kerr in the afternoon has been entertaining. He really is excellent at the talk show game.

jschick88
11-15-2012, 08:32 AM
Loubardias sitting in with Bryn in the mornings. What a combo. Ugh.

Where is Walker?

Erick Estrada
11-15-2012, 12:26 PM
Where is Walker?

Suspened for being present when Boomer made his hateful comments that put the Riders football team at risk of injury or death.

Northendzone
11-15-2012, 12:54 PM
this morning they mentioned that Walker was on vacation.....

VladtheImpaler
11-15-2012, 01:01 PM
Kelly Kirsch was also the man that insisted that live rodeo on the radio was a great idea...

northcrunk
11-15-2012, 01:03 PM
The fan really has turned to crap in the mornings without Boomer, I don't agree with the suspension and think things got a little blown out of proportion. He appologized, move on. I doubt I'll tune in until Boomers back.

nixon45
11-15-2012, 01:16 PM
The fan really has turned to crap in the mornings without Boomer, I don't agree with the suspension and think things got a little blown out of proportion. He appologized, move on. I doubt I'll tune in until Boomers back.

I agree

I like listening to Rhett in the morning but without boomer to offset Walkers cynicism it is really hard to listen to. How it is possible to arrive at work in a positive mood with Walker ####ting all over everything constantly is beyond me. The only solution for me is turning them off and listening to podcasts.

Flabbibulin
11-21-2012, 08:53 AM
I never complain about sports commentators or reporters, but Im curious- are other listeners of the fan actually interested in hearing an endless amount of NHL talk during the lockout? I understand hockey is king around here and will always rule the airwaves, but surely these guys can find something to talk about 1/in the middle of grey cup week, 2/the middle of the NFL season, 3/after a huge comeback by one of the biggest stars in the UFC, 4/ after one of the biggest trades in Blue Jays history 5/ hell, even the NBA. Is their market research really prompting them to spend the majority of their air time talking about the NHL? Maybe Im the crazy one here and people actually enjoy it. Maybe I'm also tuning in at the wrong times?

Its going to be really bad if the CFL season ends and there is still no CBA deal in place.

CaramonLS
11-21-2012, 09:11 AM
I never complain about sports commentators or reporters, but Im curious- are other listeners of the fan actually interested in hearing an endless amount of NHL talk during the lockout? I understand hockey is king around here and will always rule the airwaves, but surely these guys can find something to talk about 1/in the middle of grey cup week, 2/the middle of the NFL season, 3/after a huge comeback by one of the biggest stars in the UFC, 4/ after one of the biggest trades in Blue Jays history 5/ hell, even the NBA. Is their market research really prompting them to spend the majority of their air time talking about the NHL? Maybe Im the crazy one here and people actually enjoy it. Maybe I'm also tuning in at the wrong times?

Its going to be really bad if the CFL season ends and there is still no CBA deal in place.

This.

I am honestly baffled that 960 thinks people want to listen to endless lockout talk instead of those things you mentioned above. I can't stand the lockout talk and banter.

At least there has been a little more Jays talk since the trade. But I do stress a little.

You wouldn't know the Raptors even exist / are playing though.

But their NFL talk has been sorely lacking for a while now. Apart from Walker doing picks and McCardell doing little updates, there really isn't a ton of information.

If I was Kirsch, I would run a fan poll to "adopt an NFL team", let the listeners vote on it, then cover it like it is your hometown team. Probably too late in the game for that though.

edn88
11-21-2012, 09:31 AM
If I had to choose between listening to Raptors talk vs the same lock out talk, I would take lockout talk all day long. It is hockey hockey hockey for me - NHL, AHL, KHL, WHL...

I am happy to hear about the NFL, CFL, Blue Jays etc, but basketball of any sorts is lost on my.

Gozer
11-21-2012, 10:31 AM
I turned on the Fan960 after a long break from the station - essentially since Kerr left.

Listened to them shoehorn in as much hockey non-news as they could, obviously avoiding any other topic for enough duration to lose the hockey-only listener.
Don't plan on listening again.

homestand
11-21-2012, 10:51 AM
Not interested in Raptors, Blue Jays or college football.

calgaryrocks
11-21-2012, 03:37 PM
more local stuff, keep talking CFL (it's Grey Cup week), talk roughnecks season coming up, Flames prospects (Abbotsford Heat), the Hitmen. they start talking about the Jays, NFL, mma, nba and I put music on instead

kn
11-25-2012, 06:34 PM
Does anyone know what happened to Rick Lafitt?

taco.vidal
11-26-2012, 07:42 AM
Boomer was suspended until the end of the season which was yesterday. Should he have been back today?

I note that his bio page is still on the sportsnet website but there is no info on it. I also note that the mornig show description only mentions Andrew Walker. Boomers picture also used to be the avatar for the morning show even after he was suspended but now its just the SN960 logo.
Just wondering if Boomer is going to be back or if he is gone for good?

Bigtime
11-26-2012, 07:52 AM
Heard he will be back Wednesday, they mentioned it on the show this morning.

Flabbibulin
11-26-2012, 08:39 AM
I wonder if they will hold out till lockout is over to replace Griffiths? Or is Loubardias stepping in pretty much a no-brainer?

handgroen
11-26-2012, 08:46 AM
Does anyone know what happened to Rick Lafitt?
Great question I always really liked Rick, obviously he could never be a host but he actually watched and knew a ton about sports, which is more than i can say for someone like Bryn. Also i guess Rick was a producer, and it seems like Jason Deforest produces everything now. Wonder if he just got replaced?

handgroen
11-26-2012, 08:49 AM
I wonder if they will hold out till lockout is over to replace Griffiths? Or is Loubardias stepping in pretty much a no-brainer?
So my buddy mentioned that Bryn was leaving yesterday, but it was the first i'd heard of it. anybody know why? And MOTHER OF GOD NO LOUBARDIOUS. IN THE NAME OF EVERYTHING HOLY, STAY FAR FAR AWAY.

MissTeeks
11-26-2012, 09:00 AM
Bryn tweeted yesterday that he had two weeks left.

SeeGeeWhy
11-26-2012, 11:05 AM
I was listening to QR77 for the grey cup yesterday and heard Dave Rowe. The state of the Fan960 team lately made me miss him, and that is saying a lot.