PDA

View Full Version : Captain Worf Star Trek TNG TV-Spinoff in the Works

FlameOn
09-05-2012, 06:02 PM
Not sure what to think about this, but it appears that there is a TNG spinoff is being pushed with Michael Dorn reprising his role as Worf (now Captain). Certainly hope it won't be as campy as the older shows.
http://screenrant.com/star-trek-captain-worf-tv-show-michael-dorn/
http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2012/09/04/star-trek-the-next-generation-captain-worf_n_1853475.html
http://www.torontosun.com/2012/09/04/captain-worf-spin-off-series-in-the-works

What do you guys think?

Regulator75
09-05-2012, 06:10 PM
I'll watch... But then again I even watched Enterprise.

Fire Element
09-05-2012, 06:13 PM
If the "Defiant" is his ship, I'm on board.

Caged Great
09-05-2012, 06:20 PM
I think it could be a good series. Finally someone will listen to him now.

FlameOn
09-05-2012, 06:26 PM
Could be good, I'm just hoping it doesn't turn into an Enterprise/Voyager type of show. That shouldn't happen unless they bring back Rick Berman :bag:

MrMastodonFarm
09-05-2012, 06:32 PM
Hopefully it doesn't suck. Worf never struck me as a leading role type.

I've longed for another Trek series though, and in this time line.

Dion
09-05-2012, 06:34 PM
Only if Jeri Ryan (7of 9) is included in the new series

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_E9NJjKAiB4c/TUdpoDV4JdI/AAAAAAAAAMM/JIg73smLfSA/s1600/7+of+9.jpg

Jacks
09-05-2012, 06:49 PM
I don't know. The really good Star Trek series have always had a captain with charisma and a strong personality but at the same time showing compassion and always looking for the just and peaceful solution to conflict. The character Worf had none of those qualities.

... not crazy about the series name either.

Caged Great
09-05-2012, 07:01 PM
Tentative names are tentative. They'll likely change that prior to production.

Worf on has been shown to be limited in scope, so it's entirely possible to dig deeper and get a stronger notion of what type of person he is.

FlameOn
09-05-2012, 07:03 PM
I think it could be a good series. Finally someone will listen to him now.
?
edflm7Hh3hs

KTrain
09-05-2012, 07:03 PM
I'll watch it because I'm a sucker for all things Trek but I'm not thrilled by this idea. As Jacks said, he isn't a very charismatic character.

I like the idea of going back to the TNG universe but I think they need a new Captain and throw in a couple old characters with a bunch of new.

Daradon
09-05-2012, 07:09 PM
Why now? Why so long after TNG ended? I think it could have succeeded a few years after the show ended, but not now.

MrMastodonFarm
09-05-2012, 07:38 PM
Why now? Why so long after TNG ended? I think it could have succeeded a few years after the show ended, but not now.

I think it has a better chance now.

People are probably Worf'ed out after TNG and DS9. Now? It's been awhile, I'm looking forward to a new Trek series.

Regulator75
09-05-2012, 07:38 PM

Because Michael Dorn can't get much "real" work, unless he wears that giant piece of cake on his head.

http://s3.amazonaws.com/rapgenius/1232550426_worf%20face%20palm.gif

To Be Quite Honest
09-05-2012, 08:35 PM
Because Michael Dorn can't get much "real" work, unless he wears that giant piece of cake on his head.

http://s3.amazonaws.com/rapgenius/1232550426_worf%20face%20palm.gif

He does a lot of voice acting!

Blaster86
09-05-2012, 08:36 PM
I like it.

MrMastodonFarm
09-05-2012, 08:44 PM
Where has Hack been lately?

I'm worried this will ruin his childhood somehow.

Regulator75
09-05-2012, 09:00 PM
He does a lot of voice acting!
http://spud.wetfish.net/b/the-joke.jpg

Hack&Lube
09-05-2012, 09:07 PM
Where has Hack been lately?

I'm worried this will ruin his childhood somehow.

Michael Dorn is a really funny guy but the character of Worf was just as bad when I was a child as he is now. Worf is a 1-dimensional character with ugly make-up and the lamest Klingon name ever. Might as well replace him with a cardboard cutout of Rocky Dennis that growls or spits out canned phrases about battle and honor when you pull a string. I would have much rather have watched Tasha Yar standing up at tactical in her tight yellow uniform for 7 years. TNG already ruined my childhood when season 2 started and I haven't cared for it since. Only the sheer awesomeness of DS9's premise and great ensemble cast stopped that show from crashing, burning, and jumping the shark when Worf showed up on it.

I'd rather Michael Dorn play a human captain in some spinoff of the rebooted TOS movie universe. I can imagine him playing a very good role, sort of like the human astronaut that the actor that played the lawyer Jackie Chiles on Seinfeld played in one episode of Star Trek.

FlameOn
09-05-2012, 09:18 PM
Michael Dorn is a really funny guy but the character of Worf was just as bad when I was a child as he is now. Worf is a 1-dimensional character with ugly make-up and the lamest Klingon name ever. Might as well replace him with a cardboard cutout of Rocky Dennis that growls or spits out canned phrases about battle and honor when you pull a string. I would have much rather have watched Tasha Yar standing up at tactical in her tight yellow uniform for 7 years. TNG already ruined my childhood when season 2 started and I haven't cared for it since. Only the sheer awesomeness of DS9's premise and great ensemble cast stopped that show from crashing, burning, and jumping the shark when Worf showed up on it.

I'd rather Michael Dorn play a human captain in some spinoff of the rebooted TOS movie universe. I can imagine him playing a very good role, sort of like the human astronaut that the actor that played the lawyer Jackie Chiles on Seinfeld played in one episode of Star Trek.

The bitterness is strong in this one :D

MrMastodonFarm
09-05-2012, 09:20 PM

Go on...

Yeah_Baby
09-05-2012, 10:57 PM
Ugh, this is almost as bad as George Takei still pimping a Captain Sulu series.

Daradon
09-06-2012, 12:15 AM
I think it has a better chance now.

People are probably Worf'ed out after TNG and DS9. Now? It's been awhile, I'm looking forward to a new Trek series.

Oh, I didn't realize he was on DS9.

Sr. Mints
09-06-2012, 01:50 AM
I'd even call Shaw up and get cable again if this happened.

Boblobla
09-06-2012, 08:42 AM
We do need a new Star Trek series imo. The Sci Fi TV series could for sure use a boost.

Parallex
09-06-2012, 10:28 AM
Uhg... sounds terrible.

I'm all for a new Trek but not one starring Worf. Trek franchise needs new blood... I kind of like the basis of the shelved proposal from the two Bryan's (Fuller & Singer) I'm iffy on some of the details and character descriptions but I thought the basis was sound (plus I'm a mark for both those guys).

Not that it matters I think that Paramount will want to milk a few more movies out of the reimagined Abrams universe before jumping into T.V. again.

Hack&Lube
09-06-2012, 10:31 AM
Uhg... sounds terrible.

I'm all for a new Trek but not one starring Worf. Trek franchise needs new blood... I kind of like the basis of the shelved proposal from the two Bryan's (Fuller & Singer) I'm iffy on some of the details and character descriptions but I thought the basis was sound (plus I'm a mark for both those guys).

Not that it matters I think that Paramount will want to milk a few more movies out of the reimagined Abrams universe before jumping into T.V. again.

Yeah, the Bryan singer pitch was a good one. IIRC, it was about a Federation far into the future where it's sort of like the death of the Roman Empire and the Federation is starting to collapse and the vestiges of civilization are falling apart and a Kirk-like Captain or descendant is the focus of the story.

KTrain
09-06-2012, 10:35 AM
I think it would be interesting to have a series similar to Firefly set in the Trek universe. A ship that isn't in the Federation and their perspective.

FlamesFanInOilCountry
09-06-2012, 10:51 AM
I'm just not sure where the franchise goes from here. The rest of the Alpha Quadrant was devastated after the war, the Dominion was toast, and the Borg lost their "pipeline" ala voyageur. Unless it's a series of going off to another quadrant or episode after episode of diplomacy...

Locke
09-06-2012, 10:52 AM
Ugh. Just say no to Worf.

Parallex
09-06-2012, 03:22 PM
Yeah, the Bryan singer pitch was a good one. IIRC, it was about a Federation far into the future where it's sort of like the death of the Roman Empire and the Federation is starting to collapse and the vestiges of civilization are falling apart and a Kirk-like Captain or descendant is the focus of the story.

Yeah that was basically it IIRC... the federation still exists but it had long since ceased exploring, seeking out new life and new (yadda yadda yadda)... no ship had bourne the name Enterprise since Next Gen but then some huge threat appears and a Kirk-like Captain rises to lead the Federation out of it's lethargic complacancy and into the future. Basically not quite as dark as Andromeda was initially but not quite as light as the stardard Trek fair.

Thought the character outlines needed work either scrapping them entirely (Sec. Officer from a "Cat-like" race) or tweeking (Chief Engineer who's body is a Gas Cloud) but the backdrop was really intriguing. Shame it never got made... hopefully they'll reject "Captain Worf" and dust it off at some point.

Yeah_Baby
09-06-2012, 08:20 PM
I just can't help but think Star Trek is over on TV. What more can they show us that hasn't already been done? I think Enterprise is a great example of that.

Northendzone
09-06-2012, 08:23 PM
Word is good, but he is no jar-jar binks

MrMastodonFarm
09-06-2012, 08:28 PM
Word is good, but he is no jar-jar binks

I thought Bird was, the word.

Devils'Advocate
09-06-2012, 08:34 PM
I didn't mind Enterprise. I enjoyed Enterprise far more than that TOS-reboot "OH BOY! 'SPLOSIONS! BLOWED EM UP REAL GOOD!" crap.

The typical TV shows I watch are David E. Kelly type shows (Boston Public, Boston Legal, Picket Fences). TNG seemed like one of those shows, but in space. Each show had a theme (racism, gay rights, when is it right to intervene and stick your nose in other peoples business, medical ethics like euthanasia). Usually any of those shows gave you something to think about.

As for Worf, I don't mind the idea. I hope it comes to fruition. Levar Burton said that Dorn already has buckets and buckets of money since he gets royalties from *TWO* trek's that did well ("The Nerdist" podcast). I think they can flush out his character so that he isn't as wooden as he was in the past... they just have to let him get in touch with his human side.

Matata
09-06-2012, 11:07 PM
?
edflm7Hh3hs

it gets better

7nqb-o1ub54

Hack&Lube
09-06-2012, 11:21 PM
r6-lDsX4_TI

Pizza
09-07-2012, 04:58 AM
Worf? seriously?
they've already hollowed out that character, and he wasnt that interesting to begin with.

They should've went with stories around Wesley Crusher and his rise to a starfleet command. No doubt Wil Wheaton has such a following to pull it off

Parallex
09-07-2012, 08:35 AM
They should've went with stories around Wesley Crusher and his rise to a starfleet command. No doubt Wil Wheaton has such a following to pull it off

Will Wheaton does... but Wesley Crusher does not. Trekkies hate Wesley Crusher. Will Wheaton does have tonnes of fandom/gamer cred but I think even he would hate a trek based off Wesley. Plus it'd make it less likely that we'd get more cameo appearances of Evil Will Wheaton on The Big Bang Theory... and that would make me a sad Panda.

Yeah_Baby
09-07-2012, 08:36 AM
Worf? seriously?
they've already hollowed out that character, and he wasnt that interesting to begin with.

Except Wesley is off experiencing different plains of existence with the Traveler. :bag:

Locke
09-07-2012, 11:23 AM
Except Wesley is off experiencing different plains of existence with the Traveler. :bag:

Maybe the Traveler's finally gotten tired of his #### and given him the ethereal boot.

They should just make a Star Trek series centered around Q. I could watch John De Lancie gallivant about the Cosmos being an ass to everyone and everything.

Boshi
09-07-2012, 11:25 AM
They should just make a Star Trek series centered around Q. I could watch John De Lancie gallivant about the Cosmos being an ass to everyone and everything.

Really? I respect you having your own taste and all.. but I think I'd have to gouge my eyes out with a fork and then stab my eardrums with a no.2 pencil. :bag:

Parallex
09-07-2012, 11:30 AM
Really? I respect you having your own taste and all.. but I think I'd have to gouge my eyes out with a fork and then stab my eardrums with a no.2 pencil.

It'd get old real real quickly... but I gotta admit the "Q" episodes are all amoungst my favorites.

Vulcan
09-07-2012, 12:23 PM
Maybe the Traveler's finally gotten tired of his #### and given him the ethereal boot.

add in a healthy dose of Ferengi, they were interesting #######s as well.

Hack&Lube
09-07-2012, 12:32 PM

I thought he dropped out of that too because he was wearing a uniform at the wedding in Nemesis.

Locke
09-07-2012, 01:19 PM
Really? I respect you having your own taste and all.. but I think I'd have to gouge my eyes out with a fork and then stab my eardrums with a no.2 pencil. :bag:

I was just thinking that if you're going to go with something stupid like Captain Worf, focusing a series on the least interesting character then why not do something with a more interesting character.

It'd get old real real quickly... but I gotta admit the "Q" episodes are all amoungst my favorites.

Oh it'd get old in a serious hurry, but it would be the anti-Star Trek;

"Let me debate the morality of this.....ah screw it, I just annihilated your entire civilization before breakfast for no particular reason...."

CaramonLS
09-07-2012, 02:25 PM
I'd love if they did a spinoff with Jonathan Frankes as "Admiral Riker".

Basically paint him as a fat, old and bitter drunk based on some past events that happened post TNG, who is on his last legs with the Federation (perhaps banished off to a remote outpost / position).

He then is forced to clean up his act and lead some ragtag team of misfits as some horrible tragedy / event happens.

Locke
09-07-2012, 03:51 PM
I'd love if they did a spinoff with Jonathan Frankes as "Admiral Riker".

Basically paint him as a fat, old and bitter drunk based on some past events that happened post TNG, who is on his last legs with the Federation (perhaps banished off to a remote outpost / position).

He then is forced to clean up his act and lead some ragtag team of misfits as some horrible tragedy / event happens.

That would be hilarious!

Yeah_Baby
09-08-2012, 01:40 AM
I thought he dropped out of that too because he was wearing a uniform at the wedding in Nemesis.

It depends on who you talk to. And what you read.

Nehkara
09-08-2012, 05:06 AM
I think this is an interesting idea but I can't see it actually happening.

There has been some talk, I believe, of J. J. Abrams and his crew developing a TV show after the current trilogy of Trek films is complete. I find this the most likely return to TV for the franchise.

I do definitely think that after the current round of movies is done they will return Star Trek to TV though... the hiatus will probably end up being about 10-12 years (Enterprise ended in 2005).

KTrain
09-12-2012, 12:59 PM
TNG fans might be interested to know that Brannon Braga has written a four issue series for the Next Gen comic book.

Brannon Braga is one of the most prolific writers and producers in the world of "Star Trek," having worked on the series "Star Trek: The Next Generation," "Star Trek: Voyager" and "Star Trek: Enterprise," as well as the movies "Star Trek: Generations" and "Star Trek: First Contact." He joins co-writers Terry Matalas and Travis Fickett as well as artist Joe Corroney to write his first "Star Trek" comic book, the four-issue "Star Trek: The Next Generation: Hive" miniseries from IDW Publishing. The series focuses on the popular alien race known as the Borg with the first issue on sale September 19.

"The book begins 500 years in the future, when the Borg have assimilated everything and everyone. And there's nothing left in the galaxy," Braga explained to CBR News. "And Locutus, who is now kind of the king of the Borg, has an awakening. Some part of [Capt. Jean-Luc] Picard lives on inside him. The Borg are going through a bit of an existential crisis, in that once you've assimilated everything, they still haven't achieved that perfection that they seek. And Locutus decides to destroy the Borg, but to do that he's going to have to utilize himself, 500 years ago, when this whole Borg final assimilation started. And that takes us to so-called present day, where [Captain] Picard is going about his business. So it's an adventure that takes place in two different time periods."

Braga spoke extensively with CBR News about his first foray into "Trek" comics, his thoughts on the franchise as a whole, and his other upcoming TV projects.

scotty2hotty
09-12-2012, 03:36 PM
I think it would be interesting to have a series similar to Firefly set in the Trek universe. A ship that isn't in the Federation and their perspective.

This is one heck of an idea.

KTrain
09-12-2012, 06:31 PM
I think it would give them the option to bring back old characters for cameos and look at how people operate outside the Federation. It wouldn't have to be so 'clean'.

Some of the best TNG episodes had them being critical of the Federation and looking at the dark side of their expansionist ways.

Sr. Mints
09-12-2012, 07:46 PM

This was explained in the series of relaunch books colloquially referred to as the A Time To series, which take place one year up to the tenth movie, Nemesis.

It's been ages and the details are fuzzy, but Wesley was gallivanting around the universe or whatever, doing his thing with The Travelers, when he had a vision or prophecy where he saw the destruction of the Enterprise.

He abandoned the Travelers, and aided the Enterprise and its crew, and was not allowed to be special anymore because of this.

This was right before the wedding of Troi and Riker. He showed up to the wedding naked, expecting the ceremony to be a typical cloth-less Betazoid wedding, and had to borrow a uniform.

Yeah_Baby
09-12-2012, 08:43 PM
TNG fans might be interested to know that Brannon Braga has written a four issue series for the Next Gen comic book.

Brannon Braga wrote some the best Trek ever when paired with Ron Moore in his TNG Days. Brannon Braga also put the nail in Trek's coffin with episodes of Voyager like 'Threshold' and the first two seasons of Enterprise.