PDA

View Full Version : [RUMOUR] RoboCop Script Leaked, Unsettles Fans

Wormius
08-19-2012, 01:03 AM
*sigh*

http://www.getthebigpicture.net/blog/2012/8/13/leaked-robocop-script-gets-slammed.html

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1234721/

Discuss, cry, whatever...

Wormius
08-19-2012, 01:09 AM
I just hope this is fake to lower expectations for the actual movie. That would be a nice change.

Sidney Crosby's Hat
08-19-2012, 03:50 AM
I'd buy that for a dollar!

Jacks
08-19-2012, 11:11 AM
So sick of remakes.

blankall
08-19-2012, 11:28 AM
Did people read the original robocop script...cheesy as hell. I'd rather have a tongue in cheek cheesy remake, than some "Gritty" re-imagining.

Northendzone
08-19-2012, 11:29 AM
Is it just me, or is the timeline for remakes getting shorter, although the original was released in 87 - so it is 25 years ago already........

Cecil Terwilliger
08-19-2012, 11:39 AM
I can't wait for the Godfather remake with Shia Lebeuf as Michael Corleone and a CGI Marlon Brando reprising his role as the Don. Directed by Michael Bay it is a more action oriented remake.

And maybe Shawshank with Red being played by Tracy Morgan and Andy Dufresne played by NPH. Then it turns out they were the free ones and the outside world is the prison. Directed by M Night Shamalamananan.

Wormius
08-19-2012, 01:37 PM
The original Robocop was quite cheesy and with all of the ultra-violence mixed in it was perfect. It was original for the time it was made. Sure they can make a cheesy remake but why do it like that again? If they want to go in that direction, a remake isn`t what is needed, another sequel would suffice. Maybe they could start the reboot of the series at Robocop 3.

They should just leave Paul Verhoeven's films alone already.

RougeUnderoos
08-19-2012, 01:44 PM
Is it just me, or is the timeline for remakes getting shorter, although the original was released in 87 - so it is 25 years ago already........

Nope. You are getting older. So am I, because I thought the same thing.

RoboCop, unlike most cornball movies from the 80's, really stands the test of time. It's even better now, actually. I was too stupid to figure out how tongue-in-cheek so much of it was.

And of course the classic line "Bitches, leave." didn't really resonate with me then, but now it's my go-to line when entering a room.

Lobotroth
08-19-2012, 01:54 PM
To remake movies like Robocop and Point Break (yes, they're doing it) is blasphemy.

Northendzone
08-19-2012, 04:00 PM
Yeah, I guess I am getting older.........as mentioned above, there are some movies they don't need to remake. But I guess the problem is, that with the cost of making movies being so high, it is less of a gamble for the studios to remake something vs going new.....

Reaper
08-20-2012, 12:56 PM
All I know is that I'll be sorely disappointed if I don't get to see someone melted by toxic waste and then exploded by getting hit by a car. Oh, and I'm high on Nuke right now.

Komskies
08-20-2012, 01:26 PM
Interesting RoboCop tidbit. Peter Weller is now an art historian.

Flash Walken
08-20-2012, 03:09 PM
Another interesting tidbit: he's also doing the voice of Batman for the upcoming The Dark Knight Returns animated series.

Cecil Terwilliger
08-20-2012, 04:30 PM
Another interesting tidbit: he's also doing the voice of Batman for the upcoming The Dark Knight Returns animated series.

WTF? No Kevin Conroy? that's ####ed up.

trackercowe
08-20-2012, 04:49 PM
WTF? No Kevin Conroy? that's ####ed up.

Different universe, different Batman. They have been doing that with all the animated Batman movies. If the movie is part of the Timm DC universe then they always get Conroy. If it's based in a different DC universe then they always get someone else to voice Bats.

Conroy is great of course, but it makes sense why they got Weller to do the voice on this occasion.

Cecil Terwilliger
08-20-2012, 04:54 PM
Different universe, different Batman. They have been doing that with all the animated Batman movies. If the movie is part of the Timm DC universe then they always get Conroy. If it's based in a different DC universe then they always get someone else to voice Bats.

Conroy is great of course, but it makes sense why they got Weller to do the voice on this occasion.

That's a pretty flimsy explanation but I guess I'm ok with it.

GoinAllTheWay
08-21-2012, 02:23 PM
I actually got pretty intrigued when I saw Gary Oldman was in the cast. That turned to dissapointment when I saw Samuel L as well. Man that guy is brutal.

Wormius
08-21-2012, 04:25 PM
My interest was piqued when Darren Aronofsky was supposed to direct.

Yeah_Baby
08-21-2012, 04:53 PM
My interest was piqued when Darren Aronofsky was supposed to direct.

Ditto for when he was attached to The Wolverine. But such is life.

Teh_Bandwagoner
08-21-2012, 04:59 PM
They should have Robocop team up with that ghost again, like in that TV show.

There was a TV show where Robocop teamed up with a ghost, right? I seem to remember that. Or maybe I just have a touch of the crazies.

Well, in case I'm wrong, I'll distract you from my incompetence with this:

wUnMF7dV86k

Ben_in_Canada
08-21-2012, 05:24 PM
This bit scares me......

When this thing hits theaters, people are going to call up Len Wiseman’s “Total Recall” on the phone and apologize for being so mean.

darockwilder
08-24-2012, 04:34 PM
To remake movies like Robocop and Point Break (yes, they're doing it) is blasphemy.

Point Break?!? Brutal! Who will they cast in the Anthony Kiedis role, Adam Levine?

"I am an FBI agent!!!"

Better remake 'Home Alone' and 'Ishtar' while they're at it.

Wormius
08-24-2012, 10:50 PM
Point Break?!? Brutal! Who will they cast in the Anthony Kiedis role, Adam Levine?

"I am an FBI agent!!!"

Better remake 'Home Alone' and 'Ishtar' while they're at it.

Yeah! This!! Remake the films that sucked the first time around and try to make them better instead of going after already successful films.
It's so rare that you hear, "the original sucked". Film makers should be going out to fix these mistakes.

Rhettzky
08-26-2012, 08:41 AM
Yeah! This!! Remake the films that sucked the first time around and try to make them better instead of going after already successful films.
It's so rare that you hear, "the original sucked". Film makers should be going out to fix these mistakes.

Maybe part of their plan is to make crappy remakes now so that they can make good remakes of the crappy remakes in ten years from now.

nik-
08-27-2012, 06:44 PM
They should remake Coppola's Dracula and have everything the same except no Keanu.

Stay Golden
08-27-2012, 07:10 PM
lol the studio is remaking RoboCop. What for they were not that good to begin with.

me_dennis
08-28-2012, 12:00 AM
http://comics-x-aminer.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/Hpvqs.jpg

as if a remake isn't bad enough already, check out the new robocop

Itse
08-28-2012, 07:17 AM
*sigh*

http://www.getthebigpicture.net/blog/2012/8/13/leaked-robocop-script-gets-slammed.html

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1234721/

Discuss, cry, whatever...

I feel stupider for reading that whining. It doesn't actually tell me anything that would affect my view of whether or not this sounds good or bad, it's just a bunch of whining about what he thinks will not be cool.

Btw, scripts often look terrible in comparison to the movie, you really should not read them if you want to get your hopes up.

Seriously, a scene where a focus group of criminals insult the original 80s design? What the hell? What kind of purpose could that possibly serve for the story?This is pretty much their argument; "I lack the imagination to see how a scene presented without context could serve a purpose, so it's propably bad."

RedMileDJ
08-28-2012, 07:49 AM
If that picture up there is for real...then this is gonna suck. That is just terrible.

In related news: I saw a trailer a Judge Dredd (3D) movie last night.

Dear Hollywood: Start thinking of you NEW and ORIGINAL ideas! Judge Dredd was horrible to begin with...why would you make a re-make of it? Yeesh!

sevenarms
08-28-2012, 09:11 AM
http://comics-x-aminer.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/Hpvqs.jpg

as if a remake isn't bad enough already, check out the new robocop

Looks like Colossus, Iron Man, Judge Dredd, and terrible all rolled into one.

cKy
08-28-2012, 09:18 AM
If that picture up there is for real...then this is gonna suck. That is just terrible.

In related news: I saw a trailer a Judge Dredd (3D) movie last night.

Dear Hollywood: Start thinking of you NEW and ORIGINAL ideas! Judge Dredd was horrible to begin with...why would you make a re-make of it? Yeesh!

Because the movie was a terrible rendition of the comic. If they made a true to comic remake it will be 10x the movie the Stallone Dredd was.

On the pic above, it looks like a terrible rip off of Guyver.

Stay Golden
08-28-2012, 09:30 AM
Looks like the Thing crapped out a robot :boo:

DownhillGoat
08-28-2012, 09:34 AM
Dear Hollywood: Start thinking of you NEW and ORIGINAL ideas!
As long as going back to the well is bringing in hundreds of millions of dollars, that isn't going to happen.
Judge Dredd was horrible to begin with...why would you make a re-make of it? Yeesh!I'm not a fan of remakes, but if they're going to be done, I'd much rather have some crap movie remade than something decent. A remake of something like Johnny Mnemonic certainly isn't going to dilute the original.

Itse
08-28-2012, 10:48 AM
Meh, doesn't look that bad IMO. The original wasn't that great either, and I think that might work in a film. (Also, it doesn't look much like what we get a glimpse of in the teaser trailer.)

FlamingLonghorn
08-28-2012, 11:10 AM

Home Alone was probably more successful than any of the films mentioned in this thread.

DownhillGoat
08-28-2012, 12:12 PM
The original wasn't that great either,
:blink:

Wormius
08-28-2012, 05:30 PM
Home Alone was probably more successful than any of the films mentioned in this thread.

It was successful, but not really great cinema. I think a reimagining would make it into a melding of Panic Room / The Little Girl Who Lives Down the Lane.

It would be awesome. But the kid character can still ham it up for camera.

:)

Wormius
08-28-2012, 05:39 PM
As long as going back to the well is bringing in hundreds of millions of dollars, that isn't going to happen.
I'm not a fan of remakes, but if they're going to be done, I'd much rather have some crap movie remade than something decent. A remake of something like Johnny Mnemonic certainly isn't going to dilute the original.

What was wrong with Johnny Mnemonic? I would love to see Gibson's other books made into movies though, as long as they don't try to modernize it too much from the kind of dystopian future with cyber hacking / implants that Gibson set out.

burnin_vernon
08-28-2012, 10:08 PM
The costume was the one thing I thought they wouldn't do wrong on and possibly even improve upon.

Were these guys on the design team?http://www.stuffistumbledupon.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/DiY-avengers-costumes-cosplay-captain-america-thor-iron-man-hulk-homemade-avengers.jpg

Bigtime
08-29-2012, 02:28 PM
That's the best Iron Man costume ever.

Itse
09-04-2012, 09:29 AM
What was wrong with Johnny Mnemonic? I would love to see Gibson's other books made into movies though, as long as they don't try to modernize it too much from the kind of dystopian future with cyber hacking / implants that Gibson set out.

There's a rather forgettable film version of New Rose Hotel, also a short story from the Burning Chrome collection like Johnny Mnemonic. Iirc it was not bad if you don't mind films where not much happens. Has Christopher Walken in it.

Neuromancer has been in production for half an eternity, but there's actually been some movement on this in the last year I understand, and that there's supposed to be an anime version of Idoru coming out at some point.

Hemi-Cuda
09-15-2012, 02:41 PM
first look at the new Robocop. this will end well...

http://i.imgur.com/Rvo7m.jpg

Wormius
09-15-2012, 03:21 PM
first look at the new Robocop. this will end well...

http://i.imgur.com/Rvo7m.jpg

I thought there was a disclaimer on all of those pictures before saying they WOULDN'T use that suit. Holy crap.

sevenarms
09-17-2012, 10:31 AM
I thought they weren't making any more Batman movies.

Teh_Bandwagoner
09-17-2012, 10:37 AM
Wow the new armor for Dredd looks amazing!

Wait... Robocop? NNnooooOOOooo

RedMileDJ
09-05-2013, 06:27 PM
First trailer. Looks bad. Really bad.

UuVphAuRo7Q

Wormius
09-05-2013, 07:00 PM
Hmm... doesn't look horribly bad, but definitely kind of "meh" generic.

I actually wish it were really bad, so that it could almost, be, umm, good. If that makes sense.

KTrain
09-05-2013, 07:19 PM
It doesn't look terrible. I was really expecting the worst.

I wonder if some of the reshooting came about because of the reaction to the suit so they put him in the vintage suit for a bit for nostalgia.

MarchHare
09-05-2013, 07:23 PM
Meh, looks like a generic action movie. Where's the biting satire of the original?

Baxter Renegade
09-05-2013, 07:26 PM
First trailer. Looks bad. Really bad.

UuVphAuRo7Q

That doesnt look bad at all... Im quite pleased with that trailer.

Im gonna go out on a limb here and say that this flick does very well at the box office and garners mediocre - good reviews.

RedMileDJ
09-05-2013, 07:30 PM
I dislike the amount of emotion that RoboCop is showing.

octothorp
09-05-2013, 08:11 PM
Free will plots are fast becoming the lamest Hollywood sci-fi theme.

pylon
09-05-2013, 08:16 PM
Damn, the silver throwback suit looks awesome, how it should. But I am guessing the black "tactical" suit, will be the better final version by the end of the film.

RedMileDJ
09-05-2013, 08:55 PM
Quote from YouTube I agree with:

looks like someone didn't even understand the arc of the original movie.
there was nothing left of his humanity when he was reborn.
it wasn't a contest between man and machine, we got enough of that from terminator.
To expand on this: one of the things I REALLY liked about the original was that when RoboCop was turned on, he didn't know WHO he used to be. He had to discover this throughout the movie. We see this throughout the movie:

- Wife visits him "touch me" "it's cold" remember that?
- "We killed you!" - scene at the gas bar.
- RoboCop's visit to the house for sale.
- Etc, etc...

Maybe I'm getting too worked-up. I just see exactly what Michael Keaton's character says: "we're going to put a man inside a machine."

Might as well be Iron Man. :confused: (not a diss on Iron Man)

trackercowe
09-05-2013, 08:57 PM
I dislike the amount of emotion that RoboCop is showing.
Another thing is that too many movies are copying Terminator 2, and trying to hornshoe kids or family into making these movies emotional.

If only they made a movie about a killer robot driving instructor that goes back in time for some reason. That's the movie I want to see.

trackercowe
09-05-2013, 09:00 PM
Meh, looks like a generic action movie. Where's the biting satire of the original?
Can Detroit take being dumped on anymore?

Ben_in_Canada
09-05-2013, 10:31 PM
Glad ED209 gets some screen time.

Cuz
09-06-2013, 12:02 AM
The costume was the one thing I thought they wouldn't do wrong on and possibly even improve upon.

Were these guys on the design team?http://www.stuffistumbledupon.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/DiY-avengers-costumes-cosplay-captain-america-thor-iron-man-hulk-homemade-avengers.jpg

I am assuming the green guy is supposed to be The Hulk, but it looks like some weird kinky green sex doll....:whistle:

CaptainCrunch
09-06-2013, 10:40 AM
itmNiTwHOsM

LouCypher
09-06-2013, 11:31 AM
Robocop is about as high as it gets on my list for movies you should never remake. The original is such a cult classic, the mood and feel of the movie really cant be replicated although I am sure they will fill the void with explosions and special effects. Now the concept of a cyborg or robot cop is something I am sure can be explored more especially in this day and age I just don't see the reason not to just make an original idea.

Teh_Bandwagoner
09-06-2013, 11:36 AM
I don't like how much they show his face. Or at least they could have disfigured it more. I like how in the original movie they don't show his face until the end, and when you see it, it's got all those mechanical doodads going on behind it, making Murphy look barely human.

Anyway, overall it looks okay, but like most of these recent sci-fi remakes, will probably fall well short of the original.

Tinordi
09-06-2013, 11:40 AM
It looks like they totally miss the point and the lasting appeal of the original Robocop.

Francis's Hairpiece
09-06-2013, 11:46 AM
Not sure how excited I am with the Robocop character apparently having to drop his work to go home and play Dad.

Bigtime
09-06-2013, 12:03 PM
Not sure how excited I am with the Robocop character apparently having to drop his work to go home and play Dad.

Yup, I loved how in the original the family was so ethereal (is that the right word here?). Just a few glimpses of them through the quick memory flashbacks, and the haunting walk through his former house, looking like his family almost fled it. Always creeped me out a little.

RedMileDJ
09-06-2013, 04:11 PM
You know ticks me off even more? NO...I'm not going to put this in the YKWRGMG thread:

This screen shot we see from the trailer:

http://i.imgur.com/51yIHjq.jpg

I can see exactly how this scene is going to play out in the movie:

Michael Keaton's Character: "Yah, that looks cool and all, but can we make him more modern and stream-lined?" - MK looks into the camera and winks.

As if to give some sort of justification for making this remake. AA!AAAHHH!HH!!H!!!!!!

And they also put it into the trailer, so that people will be like "oh look, they're paying homage to the original...so it's ok!"

NO IT'S NOT! You don't get it, do you!?!?! RocoCop isn't about a cop becoming some kick-ass crime fighter, it's about a man discovering what he WAS and what he CAN become.

...at least that's my take. Adding in the guy that gets shot-up by ED209 was awesome!

/rant

Locke
09-06-2013, 04:38 PM
They can actually shoot up most of Detroit and no one would even notice....

Wormius
09-06-2013, 05:44 PM
I hope they at least have a funny musical montage sequence of him trying to play with his son or pet animal and it all going horribly wrong because of his strength... Or maybe his wife makes him get an "upgrade".

CaptainCrunch
09-06-2013, 06:41 PM
I was hoping they didn't remake it. Movies like the first robo cop and Starship troopers were these smart little satirical movies that looked at basically the down falls of civilization.

They are not movies that are meant to be played straight.

Baxter Renegade
09-06-2013, 07:50 PM
All three RoboCops are on Netflix??!!

I've got a pretty decent Friday night ahead of me...

RedMileDJ
09-06-2013, 08:00 PM
I have the first 2 on my tablet.

The 3rd one is a steaming pile of crap.

Locke
09-07-2013, 12:29 PM
All three RoboCops are on Netflix??!!

I've got a pretty decent Friday night ahead of me...

No you dont. The first two hours might be okay, after that there will be a significant degree of regret...

Yamer
09-07-2013, 02:14 PM
I for one am glad that they have appropriately distanced themselves from the original. It should be a good nostalgic popcorn flick that doesn't infringe too much on the awesomeness of the first one.

Traditional_Ale
09-07-2013, 03:05 PM
I for one am glad that they have appropriately distanced themselves from the original. It should be a good nostalgic popcorn flick that doesn't infringe too much on the awesomeness of the first one.

I know I'm in the minority that actually enjoys remakes, but Jesus H Christ people, you can always watch the original movie. It's not like the new one is going to make the old one disappear.

I loved both the new Star Treks, and let's be honest, as "Star Trek" stories they failed miserably, but it was a fun new spin on something that couldn't really be improved. Same with Robocop. That trailer looked kick ass and I can't wait to see the movie.

WhiteTiger
09-07-2013, 09:00 PM
Well, the trailer has bought the movie my ticket, as I was really wondering how this one would go.

pylon
09-07-2013, 09:08 PM
Robocop is about as high as it gets on my list for movies you should never remake. The original is such a cult classic, the mood and feel of the movie really cant be replicated although I am sure they will fill the void with explosions and special effects. Now the concept of a cyborg or robot cop is something I am sure can be explored more especially in this day and age I just don't see the reason not to just make an original idea.

OK, I just finished watching the original. No way, no how will anything hold a candle to it. I agree, the mood of the original with the utter brutality, yet hilarious satire can't be touched. Such a unique film. It was a defining movie of the 80's. And covered all the bases of the era. Coke, corruption, greed, bimbos, corporate power....

This was a dumb, dumb idea, and I will not dilute the vision of the original by watching this piece of crap. What I could get behind is possibly a remaster of the original. Clean up and modernize some of the effects, smooth out the stop animation maybe, but even then, the raw semi-unfinished look of the original somehow adds to the appeal.

pylon
09-07-2013, 09:29 PM
BTW, I have the unrated version..... where they drag out this legendary scene juuuuuuust a little longer.

Unrated ED-209 Demo:
http://www.metacafe.com/watch/2195975/robocop_the_unrated_demonstration_of_ed_209_in_act ion/

"Someone wanna call a god damn paramedic!!?"

PG Robocop will suck.

Baxter Renegade
09-07-2013, 10:43 PM
No you dont. The first two hours might be okay, after that there will be a significant degree of regret...

Haha, right you are. The first Robocop was quite good... I havent seen it since I was probably 10. That scene where the ED209 pumps 600 rounds into that executive was pretty rank. For each shot fired, I think 1 litre of blood spewed from his body.

The second was pretty crappy however, and I didnt bother throwing on the third.

I hope the remake is well done and can pay proper homage to the original. I have no problem with an update to this classic... I just hope its done properly and can entertain like the first.

The PG rating worries me... I wanna see another guy get blown to bits by 2000 round/minute arm guns...

Hemi-Cuda
09-07-2013, 10:53 PM
Haha, right you are. The first Robocop was quite good... I havent seen it since I was probably 10. That scene where the ED209 pumps 600 rounds into that executive was pretty rank. For each shot fired, I think 1 litre of blood spewed from his body.

The second was pretty crappy however, and I didnt bother throwing on the third.

I hope the remake is well done and can pay proper homage to the original. I have no problem with an update to this classic... I just hope its done properly and can entertain like the first.

The PG rating worries me... I wanna see another guy get blown to bits by 2000 round/minute arm guns...

You probably still will. Remember you can show all the violence you want and still get a PG rating, just no boobs

trackercowe
09-07-2013, 10:56 PM
It's PG? Oh it's guaranteed to suck now. PG remakes of R rated movies definitely don't work.

It's a shame the R rated Dredd fizzled at the box office, as that's probably a reason why they decided to go PG for this one, as they are pretty similar concepts when you think about it.

LouCypher
09-18-2013, 07:59 PM
You probably still will. Remember you can show all the violence you want and still get a PG rating, just no boobs

I think the boobs enhanced the value of the original though, another key element of 80s movies they will miss.