PDA

View Full Version : Mayor Nenshi Documentary on Sunday at 8pm on Omni

Bertuzzied
08-17-2012, 02:37 PM
Should be pretty interesting to see the footage at the beginning of the campaign when he was a distant 3rd. I didn't even consider him as my vote until 2 weeks before the election and by the end of the election I had convinced over 25-30 friends, family and coworkers to vote for him.

The Nenshi film takes viewers behind the scenes during the October 2010 mayoral campaign, and into the beginning of his first term.
"We had amazing access as we documented this dramatic adventure in politics. It's a fascinating inside look at an amazing underdog story."
Nenshi won the 2010 campaign with nearly 40 per cent of the vote, beating former alderman Ric McIver and television anchorwoman Barb Higgins.
"At the beginning of the campaign, I was like most people in Calgary; I didn't know Naheed Nenshi. He was just one of many candidates in the race. I thought it was a two-person race.
http://www.calgaryherald.com/entertainment/Documentary+rise+Calgary+mayor+Naheed+Nenshi+final ly+airs/7104695/story.html

Bertuzzied
08-17-2012, 02:46 PM
Ah fack. Its a Larry Day production. Next!

hahaha. I think he is getting better at this. He did the Theo Fleury documentary on HBO.

I have always wanted to know what happened to Kerrie Penny from the Movie Show back in the 90s.

crazy_eoj
08-17-2012, 02:46 PM
It's too bad they didn't start further back when he was canned as a prof at the U of C.

Stay Golden
08-17-2012, 02:48 PM

ah fack its about Nenshi, next. :cool:

Slava
08-17-2012, 02:48 PM
I don't know how much you'll see from the early stages because it says in the article Day only meet him a week before the election? I agree it will probably be interesting though.

getbak
08-17-2012, 02:50 PM
The last Larry Day production I watched was the Theo Fleury documentary.

I assume this one has less swearing, smoking, and stories about visiting strip clubs and crack houses than that one.

Bertuzzied
08-17-2012, 02:53 PM
I hear their is an extra scene where he is thinking of adopting Bertuzzied's plan of toll boothing those parasite communities! Don't leave your seat until the end!

Bigtime
08-17-2012, 03:01 PM
I'll record it, I'm starting to look back on that run in 2010 like the Flames in '04. Except we won (yes I know the puck was in... :( ).

jayswin
08-17-2012, 05:30 PM
QHat channel is omni on Shaw?

getbak
08-17-2012, 05:37 PM
qhat channel is omni on shaw?

Bertuzzied
08-17-2012, 05:47 PM
Booo it's only 50 minutes long?

Free Ben Hur!
08-19-2012, 10:00 PM
Much of this was fairly excruciating to watch. McCourt and Bell contributed nothing but unbridled egomania - embarrassing actually. Day should have taken a pass on using his talking head buddies in the media and got more pithy comments from that slaphead McIvor. Still, Nenshi's story is a compelling one. To be a political unknown (1% in the first poll of the campaign IIRC) to taking the big prize on election day is a fairly amazing feat.

Mr.Coffee
08-19-2012, 11:05 PM
agreed, watching Bell was ridiculous, that guy is like a cartoon character and not only were his mannerisms distracting and annoying but his commentary was equally inept and lacked substance.

Nenshi's victory was interesting and I honestly didn't know his rise in popularity happened that quickly. But looking back, that's really all the documentary is about (plus the airport victory in city hall). This latter part was awesome and I was hoping for more things like that.

I think people are less interested in politics because of elections treated like a sporting event and more interested in actual policies and platforms and what actually has been executed to date with him in office as we're rounding the corner on 2 years. I know I am awful at figuring out what elected officials actually do and therefore I'm disappointed this program didn't focus on these things allowing me to continue to be lazy but be semi-informed and lazy.

Northendzone
08-20-2012, 09:39 AM
i watched part f this and my two thoughts were:

1. i wonder what nenshi's mix of advertising (social media v. traditional) will be when he runs for re-election

2. i wonder if others have copied his approach yet, and, f so, how much success did they have?

Slava
08-20-2012, 10:50 AM
I think people are less interested in politics because of elections treated like a sporting event and more interested in actual policies and platforms and what actually has been executed to date with him in office as we're rounding the corner on 2 years. I know I am awful at figuring out what elected officials actually do and therefore I'm disappointed this program didn't focus on these things allowing me to continue to be lazy but be semi-informed and lazy.

That's the part that I'm starting to wonder about as well actually. I voted for Nenshi and if the election was today I would likely do the same and put up a sign and all that.

I actually don't think that the city has done much over the past two years though. I guess he got the airport tunnel through....which I am basically ambivalent about. Otherwise there isn't much of a record that I can get excited about.

Flash Walken
08-20-2012, 12:20 PM
He played hardball with the city police.

That, in and of itself, is pretty progressive.

SebC
08-20-2012, 12:21 PM
The weirdest thing about the doc is Carter. You get the sense that he was running a very different campaign than everyone else on the team (e.g. calls the idea that we had the best candidate a "myth", says the campaign was about branding not ideas - ideas were central to the campaign - etc.).

Jimmy Stang
08-20-2012, 03:05 PM
Anyone know if this will be re-broadcast anywhere? On second thought, I'm not sure if I really need to go out of my way to see it. Bell, McCourt, and Day? All at once? Even though I like Nenshi, I'm not sure if that's enough to offset that trio.

jayswin
08-20-2012, 03:37 PM
Anyone know if this will be re-broadcast anywhere? On second thought, I'm not sure if I really need to go out of my way to see it. Bell, McCourt, and Day? All at once? Even though I like Nenshi, I'm not sure if that's enough to offset that trio.

It's still worth the watch. But yeah, Bell was ridiculously over the top. At one point, he was making fun of voters or something, and starting using this girly, squeeky voice to mock them, and he seriously went on for over a minute doing it. It's hard to explain, but if you watch it, you'll statt cringing when he does it.

SebC
08-20-2012, 03:43 PM
It's still worth the watch. But yeah, Bell was ridiculously over the top. At one point, he was making fun of voters or something, and starting using this girly, squeeky voice to mock them, and he seriously went on for over a minute doing it. It's hard to explain, but if you watch it, you'll statt cringing when he does it.I'm sure everyone who's ever read a Rick Bell article already understands.

4X4
08-20-2012, 09:35 PM
I'm sure everyone who's ever read a Rick Bell article already understands.

Rick Bell is such a pathetic, sniveling loser, it blows my mind that he's employed by a so-called newspaper.

Bunk
08-20-2012, 11:59 PM
That's the part that I'm starting to wonder about as well actually. I voted for Nenshi and if the election was today I would likely do the same and put up a sign and all that.

I actually don't think that the city has done much over the past two years though. I guess he got the airport tunnel through....which I am basically ambivalent about. Otherwise there isn't much of a record that I can get excited about.

There's actually a lot happening.

Here's a report on year 1 measuring what he actually did against his promises:

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B3YyVUry287uODRmYzBhYTYtMzM1Yy00MDkzLTg4OTAtMjIzN WRkYzdhYzg0/edit?hl=en&pli=1

Of course, that's about 10 months old and we're currently updating what's happened in year 2, which is also quite a bit - especially now moving into big systemic reforms of how the City actually operates. For instance reforming how the entire urban planning and development system works at the City, which is something I worked on in the office. These bigger changes take more time for their fruits to bear, but are the most important kinds of changes.

Stay tuned in October for that more current update of work-to-date.

Bunk
08-21-2012, 12:04 AM
agreed, watching Bell was ridiculous, that guy is like a cartoon character and not only were his mannerisms distracting and annoying but his commentary was equally inept and lacked substance.

Nenshi's victory was interesting and I honestly didn't know his rise in popularity happened that quickly. But looking back, that's really all the documentary is about (plus the airport victory in city hall). This latter part was awesome and I was hoping for more things like that.

The documentary crew filmed us (I work in the mayor's office for those that don't know) during strategy sessions on things like the secondary suite issue, but chose to focus the documentary more on the election and only a little bit on post-election governing - but the airport tunnel storyline was compelling and a major early term win for the Mayor.

Free Ben Hur!
08-21-2012, 09:19 AM
There's actually a lot happening.

Here's a report on year 1 measuring what he actually did against his promises:

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B3YyVUry287uODRmYzBhYTYtMzM1Yy00MDkzLTg4OTAtMjIzN WRkYzdhYzg0/edit?hl=en&pli=1

Of course, that's about 10 months old and we're currently updating what's happened in year 2, which is also quite a bit - especially now moving into big systemic reforms of how the City actually operates. For instance reforming how the entire urban planning and development system works at the City, which is something I worked on in the office. These bigger changes take more time for their fruits to bear, but are the most important kinds of changes.

Stay tuned in October for that more current update of work-to-date.

Anyone know if the airport tunnel is acutally on time and on budget? The feeling the viewer was left with from the documentary was that this project would be closer to $1B by the time the dust cleared.

Bigtime
08-21-2012, 09:25 AM
Anyone know if the airport tunnel is acutally on time and on budget? The feeling the viewer was left with from the documentary was that this project would be closer to $1B by the time the dust cleared.

http://www.calgary.ca/Transportation/TI/Pages/Road-projects/Airport-Trail-Tunnel.aspx

Plus, You Need a Thneed posts in the airport tunnel thread here when an new update is released by the city.

Free Ben Hur!
08-22-2012, 02:21 PM
http://www.calgary.ca/Transportation/TI/Pages/Road-projects/Airport-Trail-Tunnel.aspx

Plus, You Need a Thneed posts in the airport tunnel thread here when an new update is released by the city.

Thanks. This is a progress update but it didn't see anything about progress against budget or schedule.

Bertuzzied
08-22-2012, 03:31 PM
As much as I love Nenshi and his story I'm going to have to give this show an F.

Rick Bell seriously?? was he auditioning for a cartoon? and half of it wasn't even in HD. Fails all around!

You Need a Thneed
08-22-2012, 08:58 PM
Thanks. This is a progress update but it didn't see anything about progress against budget or schedule.
Every news report I've heard from the start has said that it's on time and on budget. The actual concrete tunnel work is on pace to be complete sometime in early October (extrapolating from the pace on the each monthly update). Once the tunnel is turned over to the airport authority to start building on top of, the risk of extra cost due to delay goes way down. Nearly all elements of the project have been tendered already, I think.

It still wouldnt surprise me to find out a couple if years from now that the tunnel was finished for significantly under budget, and perhaps the savings can be used as a good start on funding phase two, which will allow the connection to Metis Trail (and thus to Stoney Trail), at which point, the tunnel becomes immensely useful for people in many areas of Calgary and southern Alberta.

As I've argued before, people from near the 22x and south of Calgary will use Stoney to get to the airport, and not Deerfoot, meaning that they will use the tunnel.