PDA

View Full Version : Shaw (Cisco) Wi-Fi modem

OzSome
08-03-2012, 04:31 PM
When i first received my Shaw Wi-Fi modem (Cisco brand), everything works great and i can access the Wi-Fi all the way to my bedroom on the 2nd floor of my house. My modem is in the basement. Now, it's tough to get connected when i am upstairs in my bedroom with my laptop, my Blackberry tablet and even my nephew's Samsung cellphone. The only one that works upstairs is my HTC Desire cellphone.

I go to the living room and my laptop will work but keep losing connection once in awhile. Blackberry Tablet works sometimes also. I asked a friend/co-worker who lives in the same area and also uses Shaw if he is having problem with the Wi-Fi and he said once in awhile he does.

Does anyone else have the same problem I have? I am wondering if it's just my modem that is a problem. Whether the Cisco model is a crappy modem/router. I used to have the thrid party wireless router from DLink and I never have any problem even after 2 - 3 years old that i have it. I wanted to use another Wi-Fi connection from my DLink upstairs but Shaw won't allow it when you are using their Wi-Fi. It's either I have to disable their Wi-Fi and enable my DLink Wi-Fi or just leave it as is.

MisterJoji
08-03-2012, 04:36 PM
What I did was put my Shaw wifi modem into bridge mode, and continued to use my Time Capsule as my wifi access. If you had good success with your Dlink router, maybe try doing the same.

Alberta_Beef
08-03-2012, 04:51 PM
When i first received my Shaw Wi-Fi modem (Cisco brand), everything works great and i can access the Wi-Fi all the way to my bedroom on the 2nd floor of my house. My modem is in the basement. Now, it's tough to get connected when i am upstairs in my bedroom with my laptop, my Blackberry tablet and even my nephew's Samsung cellphone. The only one that works upstairs is my HTC Desire cellphone.

I go to the living room and my laptop will work but keep losing connection once in awhile. Blackberry Tablet works sometimes also. I asked a friend/co-worker who lives in the same area and also uses Shaw if he is having problem with the Wi-Fi and he said once in awhile he does.

Does anyone else have the same problem I have? I am wondering if it's just my modem that is a problem. Whether the Cisco model is a crappy modem/router. I used to have the thrid party wireless router from DLink and I never have any problem even after 2 - 3 years old that i have it. I wanted to use another Wi-Fi connection from my DLink upstairs but Shaw won't allow it when you are using their Wi-Fi. It's either I have to disable their Wi-Fi and enable my DLink Wi-Fi or just leave it as is.I have exactly the same problem, except I live in a small 1 bedroom apartment and if I am not within 15 feet of the modem I can't stay connected. Shaw has been nothing short of completely useless in helping rectify this situation, so I have given them the requisite 30 days notice and have signed up with Telus again as in my previous term with them I had zero problems with their product (I left because of their customer service and have found Shaw has fallen down to those same pathetic standards, so I figure if I am going to receive ####ty customer service I might as well at least get a product that works)

OldDutch
08-03-2012, 08:08 PM
Log into the routers admin page, and change the channel the wifi is on. Test. Repeat with each channel until you get a good signal.

This is a problem with single band routers. I bet some guy next door is on the same channel as you (interference)

Another move is to put it on 40mhz mode. Try that last though.

Plan B - throw into bridge mode.

Flash Walken
08-04-2012, 02:19 PM
The router portion of the modem is junk.

Tyler12
08-04-2012, 03:45 PM
It is a very POOR wireless router, I wasn't getting disconnections by any means but very poor performance, Had mine bridged a long time ago and went to buy a wireless router.

Bestbuy has a really nice price on this http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product/d-link-d-link-amplifi-dual-band-wireless-n600-hd-media-router-2000-dir-827-dir-827/10181851.aspx?path=c9fec55664688371573cb2835e58548 5en02

$140 at most places, used to be $170. very powerfull router component wise, just need D-link to fully unleash it.

sclitheroe
08-04-2012, 08:00 PM
The router portion of the modem is junk.

It's somewhat ironic that this would be the case, because when DOCSIS3 hit, everyone at dslreports was clamouring to swap their SMC with the Ciscos, which were in short supply at the time.

Flash Walken
08-04-2012, 08:28 PM
It's somewhat ironic that this would be the case, because when DOCSIS3 hit, everyone at dslreports was clamouring to swap their SMC with the Ciscos, which were in short supply at the time.

Not surprising in the slightest considering it seems to be shaw firmware not allowing DLNA and various other typical telecom BS.

I imagine you'll correct me if I'm wrong, but I've been told by two separate people that the modems show is giving out have shaw-specific firmware, and that things like the lack of support for DLNA.

http://troyfontaine.com/geek/2011/09/07/shaws-cisco-dpc3825-for-docsis-3-0-service/

Be advised, I tried the guide and several others online and was never able to find a complete solution.

The only solution is getting a CSR to "set my modem to bridged mode" and installing a, very easy to install these days, wireless router.

sclitheroe
08-04-2012, 09:51 PM
I imagine you'll correct me if I'm wrong, but I've been told by two separate people that the modems show is giving out have shaw-specific firmware, and that things like the lack of support for DLNA.

I can't correct anyone on their experiences, since I've been in bridged mode since day 1. The TL;DR version of this post is that you are right - bridged mode is the way to go. For other reasons as well (who knows what back doors or other exploitable management interfaces sit on the modem interface side of the Shaw gear)

I've heard of lots of similar problems though with Bonjour, DLNA, UPnP, etc, from both Shaw and Telus equipped co-workers, and I don't understand what is going on inside these combo devices (router/AP/switch/broadband modem) that causes it.

I don't think its a case of these device not supporting specific protocols like DLNA though - DLNA, UPnP, Bonjour, etc, are all, at their heart, built on simple multicast UDP protocols that any layer-2 network device should be able to handle - there's not even any routing involved, since you aren't crossing a network boundary (you can prove this first by confirming all your devices are on the same subnet, and second by tracerouting to devices on your network - if there is no intermediate hop between the devices, there is no routing taking place)

I think it's far more likely that these devices have firmware bugs and don't implement simple things like layer-2 switching correctly/fully. Which doesn't help anyone of course, since we can't fix it ourselves (other than to use bridged mode and a router with better software), but I don't think it's a case of Shaw being malicious and not supporting these protocols.

oilyfan
08-07-2012, 05:11 PM
nm wrong thread...