PDA

View Full Version : Greenday releasing three albums?

jayswin
07-05-2012, 12:57 AM
Just saw this ad on youtube. It looks like Greenday will be releasing three albums in the next year. They have the different dates set, and they will be called "Uno" "Dos" and "Tre"

The release dates are as follows...

September 25th, 2012
November 13th, 2012
January 15th, 2013.

Kind of weird, has anyone heard anything about this? Is there any buzz around it, any info on what how it'll sound, if the different albums will have different themes or anything like that.

...and sorry in advance to troutman for making a thread about a mainstream band. :)

jayswin
07-05-2012, 12:57 AM
link

http://greendaytrio.warnerreprise.com/

Daradon
07-05-2012, 03:42 AM
Just saw this ad on youtube. It looks like Greenday will be releasing three albums in the next year. They have the different dates set, and they will be called "Uno" "Dos" and "Tre"

The release dates are as follows...

September 25th, 2012
November 13th, 2012
January 15th, 2013.

Kind of weird, has anyone heard anything about this? Is there any buzz around it, any info on what how it'll sound, if the different albums will have different themes or anything like that.

...and sorry in advance to troutman for making a thread about a mainstream band. :)

I think you answered your own question. Probably why a lot of people aren't very excited. Not even necessarily a question of mainstream or not, Green Day just isn't (aren't?) what they used to be. No worries, a lot of bands go through that. In 20 years they'll have their out of retirement tour all Stones and U2 and all us old guys will love them again.

And that's the other thing. Green Day... not Greenday... ;)

Reaper
07-05-2012, 07:53 AM
Any wagers on the number of songs that Green Day will lift from other bands on these three albums?

troutman
07-05-2012, 08:55 AM

No need to apologize. I think I reported on the three albums in the upcoming CD release thread a while ago. Green Day is okay - too bad 90% of the bands on X 92.9 try to sound just like them.

VANFLAMESFAN
07-05-2012, 10:41 AM
I think you answered your own question. Probably why a lot of people aren't very excited. Not even necessarily a question of mainstream or not, Green Day just isn't (aren't?) what they used to be. No worries, a lot of bands go through that. In 20 years they'll have their out of retirement tour all Stones and U2 and all us old guys will love them again.

And that's the other thing. Green Day... not Greenday... ;)

True. They aren't what they used to be. They've matured from singing about masturbation and being teenagers.

They're in the 40's, you still want them to sing about the same stuff that they used to? You want them to play the same music they used to? If so, then complaints about every song sounding the same would arise. They're in a lose lose situation with some people.

shermanator
07-05-2012, 10:46 AM
...and they are all going to suck!

Of course, I am biased as I grew up in the Kerplunk / Dookie / Insomniac / Nimrod era and couldn't get enough of each album

Yeah_Baby
07-05-2012, 10:49 AM
True. They aren't what they used to be. They've matured from singing about masturbation and being teenagers.

They're in the 40's, you still want them to sing about the same stuff that they used to? You want them to play the same music they used to? If so, then complaints about every song sounding the same would arise. They're in a lose lose situation with some people.

Which is fine, but the songs suck now. And it's not because they content is different. It's because their sound is dated. At least try to do something interesting. The only way they could more middle of the road was if they were the Foo Fighters.

Can you honestly say you still enjoy Green Day now? Wait, you probably listen to Linken Park too don't you. Papa Roach?

Daradon
07-05-2012, 10:50 AM

That's the same argument people use for every aging band. There's a small few that buck the trend or, pack it up at their high spot.

Green Day is not one of these.

Not against them, as it's pretty normal, as I mentioned in my first post. But, there is a reason why little care about this triple album.

blankall
07-05-2012, 11:04 AM
Meh.

My guess is that we will see 3 average to poor albums that could have been combined into one good album. In the digital world people aren't going to get excited about covers and B-sides, nor buy an album to get them.

This whole thing sounds like a cash grab from the late 90s.

flames_1987
07-05-2012, 11:52 AM
That was the worst argument I've ever heard for Green Day still being good. No fans would care if the music was still good and the lyrics were just different. They failed miserably trying to be political and now they've produced nothing but mainstream crap for how many years. You can evolve and fans will evolve with you but not when you just start producing awful mainstream commercialized music.

jayswin
07-05-2012, 12:35 PM
No need to apologize. I think I reported on the three albums in the upcoming CD release thread a while ago. Green Day is okay - too bad 90% of the bands on X 92.9 try to sound just like them.

I listen to X929 all the time and can't think of a single band on their rotation that sounds anything like Green Day. Any band/song in particular?

GGG
07-05-2012, 01:43 PM
That was the worst argument I've ever heard for Green Day still being good. No fans would care if the music was still good and the lyrics were just different. They failed miserably trying to be political and now they've produced nothing but mainstream crap for how many years. You can evolve and fans will evolve with you but not when you just start producing awful mainstream commercialized music.

I went to Green day last time there were here and it was funny that there was a 15 year age gap between the groups of fans. There were 12-16 year olds there and 30-40 yearolds there with almost nothing in between. And when there old music was played the kids looked lost, almost unaware that Green Day had existed before and when the new music was played the older crowd sat down and waited patiently.

I think they still put on the same show that they did back when they first toured. Right down to bringing someone on stage to play guitar.

So they do still have fans, just young pop fans. They have left their old fan base.

troutman
07-05-2012, 02:11 PM
I listen to X929 all the time and can't think of a single band on their rotation that sounds anything like Green Day. Any band/song in particular?

I have not listened to X 92.9 for a long time, because last time I did, every song was derivative of Green Day - the same power chords with fake british accent vocals.

Cecil Terwilliger
07-05-2012, 02:12 PM
I went to Green day last time there were here and it was funny that there was a 15 year age gap between the groups of fans. There were 12-16 year olds there and 30-40 yearolds there with almost nothing in between. And when there old music was played the kids looked lost, almost unaware that Green Day had existed before and when the new music was played the older crowd sat down and waited patiently.

I think they still put on the same show that they did back when they first toured. Right down to bringing someone on stage to play guitar.

So they do still have fans, just young pop fans. They have left their old fan base.

I remember it the same way.

They played all their new Jesus of Suburbia crap and all the kids cheered and then the second half they played their older hits and all of the kids looked lost.

Coach
07-05-2012, 02:15 PM

Not to defend Green Day, as I'm in the boat that their good stuff ended long ago, but if you're refering to American Idiot, it was their best selling album along with being a critical success.

I've always had a small soft spot for Green Day, but the latter years stuff is mostly not my taste. It would be nice to see them do something good again.

flames_1987
07-05-2012, 02:27 PM
Not to defend Green Day, as I'm in the boat that their good stuff ended long ago, but if you're refering to American Idiot, it was their best selling album along with being a critical success.

I've always had a small soft spot for Green Day, but the latter years stuff is mostly not my taste. It would be nice to see them do something good again.

The lyrics were god awful and just painful to try and have them try and be political at a time where it seemed that a ton of other bands were trying too. Glad American Idiot made all that money, still couldn't pay me to listen to it.

Daradon
07-05-2012, 02:41 PM
They went political, but they went too obviously political. It was like reading a dick and jane primer. The best bands do it with suggestiveness. Or complete punk disregard.

They went the middle, and it was like reading a Calgary Herald article. It was not poetically OR politically sound. And it wasn't punk.

Brutal album.

Coach
07-05-2012, 02:48 PM
Fair enough. Can't say I've heard any songs outside of ones they released from it, which were all wildly mediorce to bad.

VANFLAMESFAN
07-05-2012, 05:47 PM
Which is fine, but the songs suck now. And it's not because they content is different. It's because their sound is dated. At least try to do something interesting. The only way they could more middle of the road was if they were the Foo Fighters.

Can you honestly say you still enjoy Green Day now? Wait, you probably listen to Linken Park too don't you. Papa Roach?

I don't mind them at all but I wouldn't call myself a huge fan or anything. I've seen them 4-5 times since I was in grade 8, and they always put on a fun show. Like most music, I don't take it too seriously. There's nothing more subjective than music taste. I do like Linkin Park, I do like plenty of other artiss that plenty of folk here would consider garbage or mainstream sell outs, but whatever, if their music has me bobbing my head and having a good time while listening, I don't care how popular they are.

undercoverbrother
07-05-2012, 06:06 PM
Green Day, I enjoy them. I have a soft spot for Dookie, good rock album.

I am only of the only people I know that also really like Warning.

burnin_vernon
07-05-2012, 10:09 PM
I liked some stuff off 21st Century Breakdown. The title track, East Jesus Nowhere, the Static Age, and Peacemaker all worked for me. Nothing groundbreaking, but still hooky and melodic.

I don't have high expectations for the new albums but I am curious.

I think they put on a great live show. Though Billy Joe is a little cheesy, he has limitless energy. I couldn't help but get immersed in their concerts. Having said that, I don't think I need to see them anymore.

jayswin
07-07-2012, 07:09 PM
I have not listened to X 92.9 for a long time, because last time I did, every song was derivative of Green Day - the same power chords with fake british accent vocals.

They do have a healthy dose of the "safe" rock bands like Greenday, Foo Fighters, Oasis, Smashing Pumpkins etc. But they also play a lot of other stuff too, including, Sublime, MGMT, M83, Jack White, Florence and the Machine, Black Keys, NIN, Beastie Boys, etc.

...and for their required canadian content, they play lots of great fresh Canadian bands like Broken Social Scene, Mother Mother, Stars, Metric, Wintersleep, The Dudes, instead of relying on Tom Cochrane and April wine like certain other radio stations.

I know everyone has different tastes, but I think labeling x929 as a station where "90% of the bands try to sound like Green Day" isn't really a fair assesment of a really good alternative radio station that does quite a bit to help help the local music scene.

Yeah_Baby
07-08-2012, 12:04 PM
They do have a healthy dose of the "safe" rock bands like Greenday, Foo Fighters, Oasis, Smashing Pumpkins etc. But they also play a lot of other stuff too, including, Sublime, MGMT, M83, Jack White, Florence and the Machine, Black Keys, NIN, Beastie Boys, etc.

...and for their required canadian content, they play lots of great fresh Canadian bands like Broken Social Scene, Mother Mother, Stars, Metric, Wintersleep, The Dudes, instead of relying on Tom Cochrane and April wine like certain other radio stations.

I know everyone has different tastes, but I think labeling x929 as a station where "90% of the bands try to sound like Green Day" isn't really a fair assesment of a really good alternative radio station that does quite a bit to help help the local music scene.

I don't think Florence, Black Keys, and Jack White aren't 'safe' rock.

Lobotroth
07-08-2012, 12:23 PM
Look how clever they are! They named the third album Tre instead of Tres because the drummer's name is Tre.

jayswin
07-08-2012, 01:06 PM
I don't think Florence, Black Keys, and Jack White aren't 'safe' rock.

I guess not, but I just meant in realtion to stations like Cjay, who stick to the ACDC/Nickleback/Metallica roation over more alternative music like x929, and the above bands don't have the 3 powerchord Greenday copycat syndrome going on, which was troutman's original claim.

Yeah_Baby
07-08-2012, 01:51 PM
I guess not, but I just meant in realtion to stations like Cjay, who stick to the ACDC/Nickleback/Metallica roation over more alternative music like x929, and the above bands don't have the 3 powerchord Greenday copycat syndrome going on, which was troutman's original claim.

Touche. While I like the bands I mentioned it's not like x929 is playing Sigur Ros or even Bon Iver.

Mass_nerder
07-08-2012, 02:42 PM
All I can say, in regards to Green Day is this:
Dillinger Four released this song, off Midwestern Songs of the Americas, in 1998
wnBfss9yKW8
Six years later, Green Day released American Idiot.
YqZOYgUolC4

Russic
07-09-2012, 08:37 AM
I don't mean for this to sound like a direct attack on punk (or "punk") music, but a lot of it sounds very similar. It's an entire genre dominated by power chords... there's only so much you can do.

Regular_John
07-09-2012, 09:07 AM
I don't mean for this to sound like a direct attack on punk (or "punk") music, but a lot of it sounds very similar. It's an entire genre dominated by power chords... there's only so much you can do.

That's the beauty of punk music, a super low bar to entry. 15 year old kids with their Dad's old telecaster & a Sears drum kit can string 3 power chords together and start writing songs.

But this simplicity is also the achilles heal of the whole operation, but definition it creates a small pool of chords from which to pull from.

But in the words of Hank Hill: It's OK if you only know three chords, but God, put 'em in the right order!

troutman
07-09-2012, 09:28 AM
a really good alternative radio station that does quite a bit to help help the local music scene.

CJSW and CBC3 do a much better job of that. They are integral to Sled Island.

sclitheroe
07-09-2012, 09:39 AM
But this simplicity is also the achilles heal of the whole operation, but definition it creates a small pool of chords from which to pull from.

A small pool indeed - it's one chord.

Which is fine - B.B. King certainly does well with a handful of notes, never mind the extravagance of actual chord work ;)

undercoverbrother
07-09-2012, 12:04 PM

meh, it's been like that for years.

Blues have many of the same chords and progressions. There is a quote, I think it's Keith Richards, and he talks about only needing a few chords, and stealing the ones he had.....

Much of music is re-cycled. A great example of that is sampling in Rap. I am not a fan, but sampling isn't that different, than much of what was done in England in the 60's. Musicians, share/steal all the time.