PDA

View Full Version : Looking for good TV Shows

Dion_Iggy_Kipper!!!
05-29-2012, 05:42 PM
In about a month I am moving to a new place and will not have satellite or cable tv for a while so I'm looking for some good TV shows to get into. I already watch Dexter. I have heard Breaking Bad is good so I might get into that.

Any other suggestions?

Eastern Girl
05-29-2012, 05:57 PM
I've watched the first three seasons of Sons of Anarchy and really enjoyed it. I haven't watched the most recent season though. Hoping it's good. I hope it comes out soon.

3 Justin 3
05-29-2012, 06:02 PM
Search for a thread I made called, "Should I be watching?". Has like 7 pages of suggestions.

JonDuke
05-29-2012, 06:02 PM
Breaking Bad for sure.

normtwofinger
05-29-2012, 06:08 PM
Walking Dead and Breaking Bad. Anything AMC is awesome. Curb Your Enthusiasm if you like Seinfeld-ish comedy.

Caged Great
05-29-2012, 06:10 PM
Do you want just current shows?

nik-
05-29-2012, 06:13 PM
The Wire should forego all others.

Displaced Flames fan
05-29-2012, 06:14 PM
The Shield

MrMastodonFarm
05-29-2012, 06:21 PM
Game of Thrones
Breaking Bad
Homeland
Justified
The Walking Dead
Mad Men

Just going with current shows still airing here, Dexter used to be right there but has trailed off some.

The quality of tv has never been higher.

Dion
05-29-2012, 06:35 PM
Deadliest Catch.

GreenLantern
05-29-2012, 07:05 PM
Modern Family is a great show. It is a mockumentary (am I saying that right?) similar in format to The Office, but following three couples and their kids.

I've watched the first two seasons and am about to start on the third.

TurnedTheCorner
05-29-2012, 07:08 PM
I'm re-watching The West Wing right now, currently midway through Season 4 of 7. So good.

MrMastodonFarm
05-29-2012, 07:15 PM
Can't wait to start thrones. Can't stand breaks between shows, so I wait a few years to start shows.

Yeah, it's always nice to find out about these great shows 3-4 seasons after they start. I only started watching Mad Men back in January so missed over year long break they took after season 4.

Eastern Girl
05-29-2012, 07:16 PM
She just likes Charlie hunnams ass, but second the rec.

Hells yeah I do, and you do too, and so will the OP if he starts watching. It's that nice.

MrMastodonFarm
05-29-2012, 07:18 PM
Also, why is mad men so liked? About advertising in the 60's? Intrigued why that can be so good. Will the first ep reel me in or will it take a few?

It's just so well written and acted. The characters are amazing, and yes the advertising world they've set it in is interesting.

I actually don't think the first episode or season will reel you in, it's going to take a bit. Don't get me wrong, the first two seasons are top notch, but I think the show got amazing around season three.

I realize that might be a debbie downer answer and might shy you away from starting but... start. Even before it got as it as it is now, it was still great.

Displaced Flames fan
05-29-2012, 07:29 PM
Also, why is mad men so liked? About advertising in the 60's? Intrigued why that can be so good. Will the first ep reel me in or will it take a few?
https://encrypted-tbn0.google.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSz2w35QB54USdX6Wf9GTDfULjgYsthi sQwtNsVqi3u06pEtWba

This is probably why I will start it this summer.

Hockey
05-29-2012, 07:32 PM
Big Bang Theory
Blossom
Full house
Step by step

Senator Clay Davis
05-29-2012, 07:39 PM
Shhhhhh.....anyways gotta watch the Wire, greatest TV series ever. Demands repeat viewings. I liked it the first time through, but by the 4th time threw (and once you get into it you watch 2-3 episodes at a time) it just amazes me some of the little things you pick up from repeat viewings. And the characters, oh the characters. Clay is the best politician ever, McNulty is a drunk, The Bunk is the man, Omar, Avon....damn what a show.

Game of Thrones well on its way to be number 2 though, its insane cause I usually am not a fan of the fantasy genre, but this one is ridiculously compelling and well done. Been called Sopranos in Middle Earth but this show is better than the Sopranos.

underGRADFlame
05-29-2012, 07:44 PM
BBC's Sherlock
The Shield
The Wire
Breaking Bad
The Walking Dead
Dexter

Dion_Iggy_Kipper!!!
05-29-2012, 07:54 PM
Do you want just current shows?

Not necessarily.

Thanks for all the suggestions guys. I'll definitely try to get into some of these.

nik-
05-29-2012, 08:27 PM

Its backdrop is advertising in the 60's. That's not what it's about.

Old Yeller
05-29-2012, 08:33 PM
The Wire should forego all others.

Best show I've ever seen.

GGG
05-29-2012, 08:35 PM
Always Sunny in Philadelphia

Best comedy on TV since Seinfeld

Hockey
05-29-2012, 08:35 PM
I really need to watch The Wire again. I mean I liked it and all, but I never really got the hype.

MrMastodonFarm
05-29-2012, 08:48 PM
I really need to watch The Wire again. I mean I liked it and all, but I never really got the hype.

I've been meaning to watch it for a while.

For those with Shaw (and who subscribe to the Movie Central) the entire series is on Video on Demand.

MrMastodonFarm
05-29-2012, 08:53 PM
For those who want to find some of these shows legally and in HD Netflix currently has the following.

The Walking Dead - Season 1
Breaking Bad - Seasons 1-3
Mad Men - Seasons 1-4
Justified - Season 1
Dexter - Seasons 1-3
Arrested Development - All the series
FireFly - All episodes
BBC Sherlock - First Series
Weeds - First three seasons (when it was good)

nik-
05-29-2012, 08:57 PM

Don't watch it expecting a cop show.

Watch it as social commentary and the tale of the death of an American city (and as an extension, an empire).

Senator Clay Davis
05-29-2012, 09:00 PM
But thats whats so great about the Wire. Its an incredible social commentary but its also an incredible drama and cop show too. It also deals with institutional dysfunction and how people are trapped in their industry and can't escape it. Its just everything you want in a show, it stimulates your mind but is still so unbelievably cool, the dialogue makes you feel like you're on Fayette and Munroe looking for some Blue Tops or WMD.

trackercowe
05-29-2012, 09:03 PM
+1 for everything said about The Wire. Just be prepared for a commitment though, as its been noted many times that many viewers become dismayed after watching the first few episodes.

I will also throw out recommendations for Lost, X-Files, Oz, Twilight Zone (older version), and The Practice.

Nammer403
05-29-2012, 09:12 PM
Mad men and board walk empire is my recommendations

underGRADFlame
05-29-2012, 09:25 PM
+1 for everything said about The Wire. Just be prepared for a commitment though, as its been noted many times that many viewers become dismayed after watching the first few episodes.

I will also throw out recommendations for Lost, X-Files, Oz, Twilight Zone (older version), and The Practice.

Oh yeah Oz, that was the first HBO show that made me go OMG!!!! Hard to watch at times, but great show!

VANFLAMESFAN
05-29-2012, 09:25 PM
Current shows that kick ass

In this order

Breaking Bad
Mad Men
The Walking Dead
Homeland
Shameless.....the best show no one talks about
Boardwalk Empire
Treme
Game of Thrones
Curb Your Enthusiasm
Sons of Anarchy.....didn't love it at first, but loved Season 4. So intense.
Girls....shocked by how much I enjoy this fresh comedy

Current shows that are good, but not great

Nurse Jackie
Veep
Spartacus.....blood and tits....can't go wrong. Ultimate guilty pleasure show
Caiifornication
House of Lies
Justified....really popular, but I don't love it.....its okay, but not great.
Hell on Wheels
Dexter.....used to be a must watch, but has jumped the shark in S5 and S6

Current shows that I'm watching but not sure if I'm into it yet

Magic City
Boss

Shows that have finished that are good to watch from the beginning.

The Wire....best show.....period
The Sopranos.....changed TV
The Shield
Six Feet Under
Entourage
Deadwood

Yes, I'm a ridiculous cable snob.

nik-
05-29-2012, 09:26 PM
Entourage is number 5 in your all time shows?

VANFLAMESFAN
05-29-2012, 09:28 PM
Entourage is number 5 in your all time shows?

Oops, I didn't mean like that. I kinda meant shows that have finished. I guess I should have put others like Seinfeld etc, but those are no brainers.

I still liked Entourage a lot though.

edited my post

MrMastodonFarm
05-29-2012, 09:33 PM
Dammit, I was just about to make a joke about how if vanflamesfan shows up we're all screwed, but he beat me to the punchline.

Van, I've been watching the current season of Nurse Jackie and it's actually good. It got way too silly and stupid last year, dumb plots lines totally unlikable lead character. This at they've done a good job with the show.

Zoey in Nurse Jackie is one of the funniest and sweetest characters on tv.

VANFLAMESFAN
05-29-2012, 09:35 PM
Dammit, I was just about to make a joke about how if vanflamesfan shows up we're all screwed, but he beat me to the punchline.

Van, I've been watching the current season of Nurse Jackie and it's actually good. It got way too silly and stupid last year, dumb plots lines totally unlikable lead character. This at they've done a good job with the show.

Zoey in Nurse Jackie is one of the funniest and sweetest characters on tv.

Yep, I like Nurse Jackie. I was pissed it wasn't on last night. I'm assuming because of the US holiday.

This season has been solid and to me Edie Falco is the best actress on television. She's amazing.

Zoey is such a cute character. Her dance at the end of the episode a couple weeks ago was great.

Senator Clay Davis
05-29-2012, 09:42 PM
Oz got a touch perposterous towards the end, but season one is truly something amazing. Kinda the same with the Sopranos.

VANFLAMESFAN
05-29-2012, 09:51 PM
Oz got a touch perposterous towards the end, but season one is truly something amazing. Kinda the same with the Sopranos.

How was the Sopranos perposterous at the end? Are you talking about the actual end of the show or the final season?

I thought the final season was solid. Not as good as 1-3, which were the best in my mind, but it was still solid storytelling.

Senator Clay Davis
05-29-2012, 09:54 PM
Not perposterous per se, just I guess declining in quality. For me It got too far away for what to me was what made season 1 so great: The mafia stuff. I get that David Chase was doing some more experimental stuff (the dream episode for instance), but the actual mafia story wasn't as interesting. Also, AJ got worse as he got older, and he got more screen time. Ugh he got really annoying by the end.

Yamer
05-29-2012, 09:56 PM

In this order

Breaking Bad
Mad Men
The Walking Dead
Homeland
Boardwalk Empire
Treme
Game of Thrones
Curb Your Enthusiasm

Nurse Jackie
Veep
Caiifornication
House of Lies
Hell on Wheels

Magic City
Boss

The Shield
Six Feet Under
Entourage
Deadwood

It makes me absolutely sick that this (#34) was the first post to mention Deadwood.

C###suckers....

VANFLAMESFAN
05-29-2012, 10:02 PM
Not perposterous per se, just I guess declining in quality. For me It got too far away for what to me was what made season 1 so great: The mafia stuff. I get that David Chase was doing some more experimental stuff (the dream episode for instance), but the actual mafia story wasn't as interesting. Also, AJ got worse as he got older, and he got more screen time. Ugh he got really annoying by the end.

I hear what you're saying about AJ, he was annoying, but it's those stories with his at home familty that makes the character of Tony the most interesting character in tv history(IMO of course)

But I'm not on board with your stance on the lack of mafia story.

There was pretty much an all our war going on in the final season between Phil vs Tony. It was being built up all season until it reached an awesome conclusion in the final episode. Phil's hit makes me laugh every time. There was plenty of mafia story in that final season to keep me happy.

trackercowe
05-29-2012, 10:09 PM
It makes me absolutely sick that this (#34) was the first post to mention Deadwood.

C###suckers....

I like westerns, I like Timoth Olyphant, and I like Ian McShane, but for some reason I could not finish that show. I watched the first and second seasons, but for some reason it didn't draw me in like other HBO shows have. Maybe it's because I find Molly Parker to be a truly horrible actress, and she was too much of a key character in the show.

The same goes for Six Feet Under, it just didn't really draw me in. I watched the first couple seasons, but gave up eventually.

Also I for one think season five of The Sopranos was the best, and where it hit its peak. Season 6 Part A was the worst run for the show since no one really cared for the Vito is a homosexual storyline, and Tony B and Adriana were killed off at the end of season 5. Season 6 Part B had its ups and downs, but at least they ended it the right way. However by that time they had killed off the majority of the characters the fans really liked, which was a serious drawback imo.

VANFLAMESFAN
05-29-2012, 10:21 PM
Also I for one think season five of The Sopranos was the best, and where it hit its peak. Season 6 Part A was the worst run for the show since no one really cared for the Vito is a homosexual storyline, and Tony B and Adriana were killed off at the end of season 5. Season 6 Part B had its ups and downs, but at least they ended it the right way. However by that time they had killed off the majority of the characters the fans really liked, which was a serious drawback imo.

I liked the Vito storyline, it just went on too long. Too many scenes with Johnny Cakes.

I did enjoy the guys reaction to finding out.

Here's the scene........Paulie owns!!

NSFW....language

KdUaqY0fMaw

kipperfan
05-29-2012, 10:22 PM
A few that haven't been mentioned much (or at all): Shameless (great show, never thought William H. Macy could pull off this kind of role but he is brilliant), The Borgias (addicting show, one of my favourites for sure), Boss (new Kelsey Grammar drama series, very good) and The Tudors (no longer on the air but was a great show on Showtime I think? Based on the reign of King Henry VIII in England).

VANFLAMESFAN
05-29-2012, 10:24 PM
A few that haven't been mentioned much (or at all): Shameless (great show, never thought William H. Macy could pull off this kind of role but he is brilliant), The Borgias (addicting show, one of my favourites for sure), Boss (new Kelsey Grammar drama series, very good) and The Tudors (no longer on the air but was a great show on Showtime I think? Based on the reign of King Henry VIII in England).

And a naked Emmy Rossum!!!

kipperfan
05-29-2012, 10:31 PM
And a naked Emmy Rossum!!!

Yeah, that is a definite perk! :)

Bertuzzied
05-29-2012, 10:36 PM

In this order

Breaking Bad
Mad Men
The Walking Dead
Homeland
Boardwalk Empire
Treme
Game of Thrones
Curb Your Enthusiasm

Nurse Jackie
Veep
Caiifornication
House of Lies
Hell on Wheels

Magic City
Boss

The Shield
Six Feet Under
Entourage
Deadwood

Girls would be such an awesome show if the lead girl wasn't so ugly. She is so ugly that it makes it impossible to watch because there is no way in hell she would so many guys.

Same with Scott Pilgrim. Can't watch that crap movie after 20 minutes. AS IF that lead nerd guy can get ANY of those chicks. terrible.

Cecil Terwilliger
05-29-2012, 11:15 PM
Soooo many suggestions. You should probably read up on some of these. Many of them just may not be your thing. For example I've never gotten into breaking bad because the opening premise is so astronomically moronic that no matter how good it has got, I just have no interest in it (despite the fact I've seen some recent episodes and enjoyed them). You won't have time to watch all the suggestions. Also you didn't specify any parameters. For example do you watch the Simpsons? Seinfeld? Some classics right there. Looking for comedy? Drama? Only full series? Lots of these are ongoing and won't do you much good to get a few seasons in and not be able to watch the rest or leave you missing new episodes.

If we're talking tv dramas my top 5 is:

Sopranos
Dexter
Rome
Wire
Six feet under

Although I'm only a few episodes into the wire it's that good. Mad Men, Spartacus, game of thrones and the Borgias also kick ass.

VANFLAMESFAN
05-29-2012, 11:41 PM
Girls would be such an awesome show if the lead girl wasn't so ugly. She is so ugly that it makes it impossible to watch because there is no way in hell she would so many guys.

e.

Get so many guys? She's hooked up with two and we've seen an ex boyfriend. And the one dude is such a mess and so is she, they're almost perfect for each other.

I think her unconventional looks, low self esteem And quirky attitude are what makes her interesting. If she's a hottie or "normal", this is just another Sex and the City.

Sidney Crosby's Hat
05-29-2012, 11:45 PM
Always Sunny in Philadelphia

Best comedy on TV since Seinfeld

The League is also hilarious. And Portlandia.

I'm a big fan of Community as well, among shows that haven't been mentioned yet.

cDnStealth
05-30-2012, 07:03 AM
It hasn't been mentioned yet but Burn Notice.

Senator Clay Davis
05-30-2012, 07:27 AM
I hear what you're saying about AJ, he was annoying, but it's those stories with his at home familty that makes the character of Tony the most interesting character in tv history(IMO of course)

But I'm not on board with your stance on the lack of mafia story.

There was pretty much an all our war going on in the final season between Phil vs Tony. It was being built up all season until it reached an awesome conclusion in the final episode. Phil's hit makes me laugh every time. There was plenty of mafia story in that final season to keep me happy.

I wouldn't say there was a lack of a mafia story, it was there all right. It just wasn't the focus or even secondary focus by seasons 4-6, by that point it was about Tony first and foremost, the mob stuff was essentially there but not as important to the overall plot. The show to me fell victim to what eventually hurts many great shows and thats too much melodrama, which to me is what makes the Wire the best ever is that it didn't fall victim to melodrama.

Also haven't seen Twin Peaks mentioned either. Might only be 2 seasons but the first season and a half are simply incredible stuff. Obviously being a fan of David Lynch would help anyones enjoyment of Twin Peaks, but I think even non-Lynch fans can enjoy the show.

aaronck
05-30-2012, 09:45 AM
Lesser known comedies off the top of my head

The Increasingly poor decisions of Todd Margaret. David Cross at his awkward lying best.
Flight of the Concords- New Zealand comedy with some music.
The IT crowd- Great English comedy.
The Extras- Another fantastic English comedy with Ricky Gervais
Kath and Kim- Australian comedy, they tried to do a North American version but it was awful, the original is great.
Archer-Perhaps the greatest spy cartoon ever made.
Bored to Death-Intelligent/stoner comedy.

Started Portlandia, thought it was pretty good, Children's hospital is funny as well, and only 10 minute episodes.

Yamer
05-30-2012, 10:32 AM
I like westerns, I like Timoth Olyphant, and I like Ian McShane, but for some reason I could not finish that show. I watched the first and second seasons, but for some reason it didn't draw me in like other HBO shows have. Maybe it's because I find Molly Parker to be a truly horrible actress, and she was too much of a key character in the show.

The same goes for Six Feet Under, it just didn't really draw me in. I watched the first couple seasons, but gave up eventually.

Fair enough, I suppose. Different strokes...for me, it was the most engaging television show I have ever watched. Al Swearengen was one of the best characters I have ever seen on TV, and I didn't really find any plot or sub-plot in the show to be uninteresting. The closest it came may have been the Bullock-Alma Garret love interest...but then it spawned an epic fight between Swearengen and Bullock.

I've just gotten into Six Feet Under, and so far I really enjoy the dialogue (one of the things that made Deadwood so superior, IMO).

I agree with the Sopranos having peaked after the conclusion of Season 5. I'm sure it suffered by waiting a year to complete the series, but the first half of Season 6 was pretty tough to watch. Granted, they sure as hell made up for it in the second half...so many "stick with you" moments:

When Bobby gets back to the lake after his first hit and picks up and hugs his kid as the episode fades out to This Magic Moment by The Drifters. Always think of that scene when I hear that song.

For me, The Wire just never reached out and engrossed me like some people have hyped it up to be. Maybe that was the problem (over-hyped), but after 8 episodes I just had no motivation to continue. I didn't care about any of the characters, and the outstanding premise was bogged down by the snails pace of the story. I might give it another chance in the future, but it's at the bottom of my list right now.

Many of them just may not be your thing. For example I've never gotten into breaking bad because the opening premise is so astronomically moronic that no matter how good it has got, I just have no interest in it (despite the fact I've seen some recent episodes and enjoyed them).

The whole "man has terminal cancer and decides to sell meth to leave his family with something after he's gone"? I'll admit it seems a little outlandish at first. However, as you watch the series you come to understand that Walter White is a man who will, quite literally, do absolutely anything for his family. It makes the premise more acceptable, and you really get involved in the transformation of all of the characters (especially Walt, Jesse, and Hank).

Then again, as you say, it just might not be your thing.

Senator Clay Davis
05-30-2012, 10:41 AM
For me, The Wire just never reached out and engrossed me like some people have hyped it up to be. Maybe that was the problem (over-hyped), but after 8 episodes I just had no motivation to continue. I didn't care about any of the characters, and the outstanding premise was bogged down by the snails pace of the story. I might give it another chance in the future, but it's at the bottom of my list right now.

This is actually a fairly common reason why people stop watching the Wire. The thing about the Wire is it doesn't treat its audience as stupid or that they need their hands held and every detail told to them or pointing out. You really have to pay attention, and for every scene you find meaningless or irrelavent, odds are that scene will matter later on in the series. The term most often used to describe the Wire is "visual novel", which I think is perfect. Each season is like a book, several episodes may seem plodding or pointless, but their goal is to advance the story. Generally speaking the last 3 or 4 episodes of any season contain much more action than the earlier episodes, but its those earlier episodes that set up the important moments.

Cecil Terwilliger
05-30-2012, 10:44 AM
The whole "man has terminal cancer and decides to sell meth to leave his family with something after he's gone"? I'll admit it seems a little outlandish at first. However, as you watch the series you come to understand that Walter White is a man who will, quite literally, do absolutely anything for his family. It makes the premise more acceptable, and you really get involved in the transformation of all of the characters (especially Walt, Jesse, and Hank).

Then again, as you say, it just might not be your thing.

nm

normtwofinger
05-30-2012, 11:15 AM
nm

Flacker
05-30-2012, 11:18 AM
Haven't read the whole thread so not sure if any of these have been mentioned but I have recently watched and enjoyed:

Motorcycle Travel Docs:
- Long Way Round
- Long Way Down
- Race to Dakar

Travel Docs:
Charley Boorman: Ireland to Sydney by Any Means
Charley Boorman: Sydney to Tokyo by Any Means
An Idiot Abroad

Cecil Terwilliger
05-30-2012, 11:20 AM
nevermind then.

normtwofinger
05-30-2012, 11:45 AM
An Idiot Abroad is a good show if you like travel shows and British humor. I could relate to Karl having traveled and seen and experienced weird things.

Cecil Terwilliger
05-30-2012, 11:48 AM
nm

normtwofinger
05-30-2012, 11:53 AM
nm

Cecil Terwilliger
05-30-2012, 11:57 AM
Well this is awkward. Apparently he was just joking... Or so he says :ph34r:.

GreatWhiteEbola
05-30-2012, 11:59 AM
Bomb Patrol: Afghanistan

Only available in the US, or through other sources...

trackercowe
05-30-2012, 12:11 PM
In Cecil's defense it's difficult not to discuss spoilers for shows that have been readily available for years. It's like talking about Roots or MASH; the show has been off the air for X amount of years and it just doesn't seem to make sense to not discuss some of these series openly.

I think there is a time and place where everything is fair game (possibly when the series has ended?). Although this isn't the right thread for that type of discussion anyway.

The same goes for movies if someone complains about being spoiled about Vader being Luke's father, or that Rosebud was Hearst's sled all along, they can just go #### themselves in my opinion.

Cecil Terwilliger
05-30-2012, 12:21 PM
In Cecil's defense it's difficult not to discuss spoilers for shows that have been readily available for years. It's like talking about Roots or MASH; the show has been off the air for X amount of years and it just doesn't seem to make sense to not discuss some of these series openly.

I think there is a time and place where everything is fair game (possibly when the series has ended?). Although this isn't the right thread for that type of discussion anyway.

The same goes for movies if someone complains about being spoiled about Vader being Luke's father, or that Rosebud was Hearst's sled all along, they can just go #### themselves in my opinion.

Given my original post in this thread that the OP should set parameters on what kind of shows he likes first, I think it is obvious that I don't watch a lot of TV shows that I don't at least know some general info about. For that reason I think people's suggestions are actually better if they describe the show a bit.

For example the guythat said The Wire is a "visual novel" and described some of the characters peaked my interest, not spoiled it.

The posts that just list aa dozen shows are ok if I'm willing to look them up myself but a nice description about the show can be helpful for the OP (or others who want to find new shows).

Most everything I've at least talked to people, read the wiki page (or parts of it), read news articles etc.

If we can't even discuss the basic premise of a show, how are we supposed to tell the OP what he might like?

In this case, I did say I didn't like the premise of that particular show's pilot (one of the only episodes I've ever seen and I've never even seen the whole pilot) and then proceeded to describe how Cecil's breaking bad would have gone.

As stated, I honestly couldn't tell you the plot of any of the seasons, who any of the characters are or what has happened in the last 4-5 seasons.

I think it would definitely be offside to describe in detail plot elements of the show that can be "spoiled" and people have been good about that, putting things about the Sopranos later seasons in spoiler tags.

miraisoup
05-30-2012, 12:29 PM
I didn't go over the thread so if they are already here im sorry.

Sons of Anarchy, How I Met Your Mother, Mrs Browns Boys(hilarious show, found it over the weekend.), Shameless, , Dead Set, IT Crowd, Nurse Jackie, Supernatural. Law and Order SVU, American Horror Story. I know im missing some but theres a few.

Senator Clay Davis
05-30-2012, 12:38 PM
Also surprised no one has mentioned Justified. I actually think its better than the Shield, but I'm sure many will disagree.

trackercowe
05-30-2012, 12:42 PM
Also surprised no one has mentioned Justified. I actually think its better than the Shield, but I'm sure many will disagree.

It has been mentioned, at some point in this thread.

Also the first two seasons of Prison Break and maybe the first season of Heroes are worth watching (although I never really got into Heroes).

normtwofinger
05-30-2012, 12:45 PM
Heroes season one was awesome, which caused its demise IMO. I believe the writers had to change direction to drag out the show because it was becoming a moneymaker. Similar situation as Lost.

Senator Clay Davis
05-30-2012, 12:48 PM
As long as we're going for one season wonders, season 1 of Alias was awesome. Then it all get ridiculously absurd in subsequent seasons (season 2 was still pretty good).

Hockey
05-30-2012, 02:17 PM
The shows were already mentioned, but thanks to this segment on Team1040 called PopMart, I really got into Shameless and I currently enjoy Girls. I also enjoy Marnie on the show Girls.

VANFLAMESFAN
05-30-2012, 11:23 PM
The shows were already mentioned, but thanks to this segment on Team1040 called PopMart, I really got into Shameless and I currently enjoy Girls. I also enjoy Marnie on the show Girls.

That dude is such a loser.

Hockey
05-30-2012, 11:26 PM
That dude is such a loser.

I don't mind him, besides the fact that he is a Flames
Fan. I also work with his cousin. His cousin is better, because he is a Canucks fan.

Sidney Crosby's Hat
05-31-2012, 09:02 PM
Fair enough, I suppose. Different strokes...for me, it was the most engaging television show I have ever watched.

To each their own, but I think Diff'rent Strokes was pretty much a run-of-the-mill sitcom. :whistle:

MrMastodonFarm
05-31-2012, 09:19 PM

Speaking how Shameless, how about that plug for Vanflamesfan. ;)

MrMastodonFarm
06-05-2012, 09:13 PM
For anyone interested in Breaking Bad, AMC will start re-airing the entire series starting this Sunday night leading right up to this season 5 premiere in July.

They'll start airing late night, looks to be around midnight-1am most nights

flizzenflozz
06-05-2012, 09:33 PM
The Inbetweeners must be mentioned. Also, Summer Heights High. Mr. G is one of the best characters of all time.

FlamesFanStrandedInEDM
06-05-2012, 09:35 PM
COMMUNITY! Love that show

Hockey_Ninja
06-05-2012, 09:48 PM
It's a show that a think a lot of people on here don't like but Friends is a pretty damn great show. If you like HIMYM and Big Bang Theory then watch this show because it is one of those classic sitcoms that inspired most of today's sitcoms (Along with Seinfeld and several others). One of the best cast for a t.v. show ever.

VANFLAMESFAN
06-05-2012, 11:55 PM
^^^^One of my hidden talents that I'm not very proud of is my Friends trivia. I dominate like the Kings are in these playoffs whenever the Friends "Scene It" game is brought out.

Flame Of Liberty
06-06-2012, 12:35 AM
The Inbetweeners must be mentioned. Also, Summer Heights High. Mr. G is one of the best characters of all time.

+1

The movie is pretty good too.

The Killing is a good show (watching season 1)

Gary83
06-06-2012, 05:19 AM
Just finished watching The Shield, thought it was a great show. Tried to start watching The Wire with the wife and I actually fell asleep halfway through the episode, definitely didn't grab my interest in the first episode. I know alot of people rave about it, does it get better?

Senator Clay Davis
06-06-2012, 07:19 AM
The Wire is almost universally recognized by critics as the best TV show ever because its not like other shows that focus on week to week or on a character or two. The Wire is truly like a novel; indeed 70% of the "action" in each season generally takes place in the last 3 or 4 episodes of a season, but that other 30% is just as critical in the other episodes. The catch phrase best used for the show is "All the pieces matter". You may find a scene irrelavent or pointless, but later on that scene will likely have much greater value.

It also is a much more deep and philosophical show than it appears. On the surface its a cop show about busting drug dealers, but beneath the surface its a deep social commentary about the institutional dysfunction that has led to the demise of the American city. Its also is obviously about how the War on Drugs is a failure. Honestly the first time watching the series through I liked it a lot but its when you watch the show through the third and fourth times that you appreaciate the depth and quality of the show.

Just stick with it would be all I can say. Its almost impossible to "get" everything thats going on about the show, but thats because the Wire doesn't want to help people understand whats going on, you have to put the pieces together yourself. And the show has by far the greatest collection of characters ever assembled on a TV show. If they did just a McNulty and Bunk spinoff that might be the greatest show ever too.

Yamer
06-06-2012, 12:02 PM
For anyone interested in Breaking Bad, AMC will start re-airing the entire series starting this Sunday night leading right up to this season 5 premiere in July.

They'll start airing late night, looks to be around midnight-1am most nights

Not sure if it has been mentioned in the thread yet, but the first 3 seasons are also available on Netflix.

VANFLAMESFAN
06-06-2012, 02:29 PM
Just finished watching The Shield, thought it was a great show. Tried to start watching The Wire with the wife and I actually fell asleep halfway through the episode, definitely didn't grab my interest in the first episode. I know alot of people rave about it, does it get better?

Loved both the Shield and The Wire, but they are different shows. The comparisons begin and end at there being cops in the show.

Hockey
06-07-2012, 09:56 PM
^^^^One of my hidden talents that I'm not very proud of is my Friends trivia. I dominate like the Kings are in these playoffs whenever the Friends "Scene It" game is brought out.

My wife would destroy you.

Does anyone know where I can find the Fleury documentry online?

fatso
06-08-2012, 08:07 AM
Anyone watch Workaholics? First two seasons are out now (third is currently airing). Kind of a stoner 'Curb Your Enthusiasm'. Really funny.

Old Yeller
06-08-2012, 08:28 AM
Watched the first two eps of Workaholics season 1. Does it get any better?

I realize some shows start a little weak and then gain steam, but I thought it was pretty awful after being recommended to me.

Eastern Girl
06-08-2012, 04:57 PM
Just watched the first season of Scandal. I thought it started out as a pretty generic show, there was not really anything that made it stand out, but the last couple episodes were rather strong. I don't know if it was renewed, but if it was, I'd give it another viewing.

VANFLAMESFAN
06-08-2012, 06:04 PM
My wife would destroy you.

Does anyone know where I can find the Fleury documentry online?

That's what everyone says, but then they actually play the game and I destroy them. It's not even close.

drew24
06-08-2012, 06:42 PM
Comedy Bang Bang premieres tonight on ifc. Does anyone know where to find it in Canada legally? I don't see it on Canadian ifc or iTunes.

Hockey
06-08-2012, 08:47 PM
That's what everyone says, but then they actually play the game and I destroy them. It's not even close.

Not that it will ever happen, but I would wear a Flames jersey and hat around here everyday for a month if my wife doesnt beat you at Friends trivia.

fatso
06-08-2012, 08:47 PM
Watched the first two eps of Workaholics season 1. Does it get any better?

I realize some shows start a little weak and then gain steam, but I thought it was pretty awful after being recommended to me.

I'm biased because I'm a fan, but I'd say it definitely gets better. The second season had very strong writing, particularly if you're into narrative or plot. That said, the comedy isn't for everyone. I'd urge you to continue if you like shows like Curb, Eastbound and Down, Todd Phillips movies, etc.

Barnes
06-08-2012, 09:02 PM
Comedy Bang Bang premieres tonight on ifc. Does anyone know where to find it in Canada legally? I don't see it on Canadian ifc or iTunes.

Don't think it is available to us. The second episode is available free on IFCs website though.

If it's not on iTunes tomorrow, I'll just "find" it. Hot Saucerman won't mind.

troutman
06-12-2013, 02:23 PM
IFC Renews 'Portlandia' for Two More Seasons (http://splitsider.com/2013/06/ifc-renews-portlandia-for-two-more-seasons/)

http://splitsider.com/2013/06/ifc-renews-portlandia-for-two-more-seasons/

PsYcNeT
06-12-2013, 02:47 PM
I'm biased because I'm a fan, but I'd say it definitely gets better. The second season had very strong writing, particularly if you're into narrative or plot. That said, the comedy isn't for everyone. I'd urge you to continue if you like shows like Curb, Eastbound and Down, Todd Phillips movies, etc.

Seconding this.

Season 1 definitely gets better as well. The episode "Straight Up Juggahoes" is probably my favourite of the show, and is episode 7 I think.