PDA

View Full Version : List of Canceled and Renewed Scripted Shows for the 2011-12 Season

OilKiller
05-12-2012, 10:50 AM
For those interested in all of the shows:

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2012/05/12/list-of-canceled-and-renewed-scripted-shows-for-the-2011-12-season/133799/

zamler
05-12-2012, 11:23 AM
Awake has been cancelled? Well ####.

Methanolic
05-12-2012, 11:45 AM
I'm not surprised to see that "Rules of Engagement" is undecided. This show has been under the radar for years for whatever reason.

I find the show to be very funny and I love Patrick Warburton's character (Jeff) as he's about 75% David Putty (sp?) from Seinfeld. ROE is under rated and I really hope it gets renewed.

Displaced Flames fan
05-12-2012, 12:34 PM
Has anyone else watched Suburgatory? I haven't seen every episode, but I've seen most of them. I think it is hilarious. Glad to see it renewed.

Looking at that list, however, it is clear that most of my favorite shows are on cable now.

Locke
05-12-2012, 12:38 PM
Am I correct in reading that House is done?

trackercowe
05-12-2012, 12:40 PM
Am I correct in reading that House is done?

Yes, it will be finishing up this month.

SebC
05-12-2012, 12:40 PM
Am I correct in reading that House is done?Tax season is over, time for you to catch up!

octothorp
05-12-2012, 03:50 PM
It's listed as renewed on this list, but Fringe actually just got renewed for a 13 episode final season. As a fan of this series since the beginning, I feel like it's run its course, and 13 epsiodes should be just enough to tie up the remaining plot arcs (and give it enough episodes for syndication). I'm pretty happy that Fox has been patient with it and let it continue on, despite mediocre ratings.

RedMileDJ
05-12-2012, 04:00 PM
Breakin In: canceled...for the 2nd time. JEEBUS!

DownInFlames
05-12-2012, 04:10 PM
Awake has been cancelled? Well ####.

It had such potential, but in the end it was just a police procedural with a twist. I got bored after two episodes.

DownhillGoat
05-12-2012, 05:06 PM
Suprised to see Two And A Half Men and Simpsons both renewed. There was a lot of talk about Simpsons being done earlier in the season. And Two and a Half Men is just awful.

Joborule
05-12-2012, 05:49 PM
Suprised to see Two And A Half Men and Simpsons both renewed. There was a lot of talk about Simpsons being done earlier in the season. And Two and a Half Men is just awful.

Two and Half gets viewers. It'll never die until the common America viewer stop watching it.

TurnedTheCorner
05-12-2012, 06:18 PM
The renewal announcement for two more seasons of The Simpsons was made months ago.

http://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthread.php?p=3313215#post3313215

Zevo
05-12-2012, 06:54 PM
Alcatraz is cancelled? Booooo!

fatso
05-12-2012, 07:34 PM
Thrilled 'Happy Endings' and 'Community' got renewed.

I love 'Revenge' too, so happy to see that back (not that there was much doubt). Would have loved to see 'Ringer' back as it was a guilty pleasure.

I held off on watching certain shows on the expectation they might be cancelled, including 'Missing', 'The River', and 'Alcatraz'. Oh well... more time to read a book I guess. He he...

Table 5
05-12-2012, 07:44 PM
Was really hoping New Girl would get the axe.

Caged Great
05-12-2012, 07:46 PM
somewhat disappointed The Firm wasn't renewed, but not altogether surprised.

Yamer
05-12-2012, 07:47 PM
Too bad to see Alcatraz and The River get cancelled. Most shows that I enjoy, however, are on the renewed list...so that's nice.

3 Justin 3
05-12-2012, 10:34 PM

I'm really glad it didn't. Zooey Deschanel is annoying, but hot. I watch the show mainly for Schmidt though, he's hilarious.

OilKiller
05-13-2012, 09:39 AM

Really? Why? Because you don't like it? You do know you don't have to watch it right? Right?

Too bad to see Alcatraz and The River get cancelled. Most shows that I enjoy, however, are on the renewed list...so that's nice.

I liked The River. I do feel like they 'jumped the shark' as it were in the last episode. Really over the top. Up until that point, the show was pretty interesting and much better than any of the 'procedural' shows that keep getting renewed. Too bad we lose interesting and different shows like The River each year.

Table 5
05-13-2012, 10:05 AM
I wouldnt mind it so much, but I have to put up with their stupid promos for the show that always hilights that annoying girl, so it affects me whether I choose to or not. And now that woman is also in actual commercials for other products (ie Siri) where she's even more oh-so quirky cutesy wutesy!

I want anything she does to fail, so she finally fades away.

OilKiller
05-13-2012, 10:39 AM
The show is so much more than her though. And personally, I find her adorable and funny. They have toned down her "wackyness" so much since the first couple of episodes.

MrMastodonFarm
05-13-2012, 12:43 PM
I usually like Zooey Deschanel. After Almost Famous and Elf I was ready to stalk her because of how adorable and cute she was.

But after those Wiley Coyote episode ads I've seen for the show the past week "meep meep!" I've wanted this show cancelled and her murdered.

SebC
05-13-2012, 01:08 PM
I liked The River. I do feel like they 'jumped the shark' as it were in the last episode. Really over the top. Up until that point, the show was pretty interesting and much better than any of the 'procedural' shows that keep getting renewed. Too bad we lose interesting and different shows like The River each year.I thought The River sucked. Throwing stuff at the screen with an ominous soundtrack with lound noises mixed in! When I found out it had the same director as Paranomal Activity I was like, "yeah, figures".

Supernatural stuff isn't intellectually scary at all, so I guess they have to abuse instincts that were ingrained thousands of years ago instead.

I'll take "procedurals" like Castle or Bones over that any day - the ones that actually make an effort to make their shows fun to watch.

Table 5
05-13-2012, 01:10 PM
But after those Wiley Coyote episode ads I've seen for the show the past week "meep meep!" I've wanted this show cancelled and her murdered.

Now you know how I feel! Cutesy and adorable are qualities that are admirable in a 5 year old, not a grown woman. But for me the topper is that droning ###### man voice....it grinds my gears as soon as I hear it.

But anyway...

getbak
05-13-2012, 01:22 PM
NBC announced their fall schedule today: http://tvline.com/2012/05/13/nbc-fall-tv-lineup-2012/

Previews of the new shows are here: http://www.nbc.com/upcoming-shows/

Only two new dramas: The J. J. Abrams produced, "Revolution" (set 15 years after something caused all power sources on the planet to go dead); and the Dick Wolf produced, "Chicago Fire" (ER in a fire hall).

Four new comedies, and NBC will have at least an hour of comedies on each night of the week from Tuesday to Friday.

Only "Guys with Kids" appears to be a traditional 3 camera studio audience/laugh track sitcom. Comedies are always hard to gauge from their pilots because they have to introduce the premise and the characters so quickly, and the actors haven't had a chance to make the characters their own yet.

It also looks like they have a few mid-season replacements lined up, including comedies starring Dane Cook and Bill Pullman. Pullman will be the President of the US on his show. Hopefully, those damn aliens stay away this time.

They also have "Hannibal", which will be a prequel to the Hannibal Lecter stories before Lecter is found to be a serial killer. It looks to be in early development though, since it doesn't appear the role of Lecter has even been cast yet.

The biggest change to the line-up for the returning shows is the move to Friday of Whitney and Community. I'm more concerned about Community being paired with Whitney than I am about it moving to Friday. Being away from Big Bang Theory should be good for it, and networks have lower expectations for shows on Friday nights.

Maritime Q-Scout
05-13-2012, 02:13 PM
Revolution looks interesting... I'll be checking that out come fall

LGA
05-13-2012, 09:46 PM
Revolution looks interesting... I'll be checking that out come fall

Yea, I'm actually pretty excited for it after seeing some trailers. Hope it lives up to how good the trailers look.

Mango
05-13-2012, 09:51 PM
So happy that Up All Night is returning.

Are You There, Chelsea? was some of the most awkward comedy I've ever watched. There's no surprise it's one and done.

Bobblehead
05-13-2012, 10:36 PM
That was quite the ending to The Finder. That show deserved a much better fate - Friday night time slot on Fox kills another show.

Hemi-Cuda
05-13-2012, 11:23 PM
interesting...

JwfCRAtkYEI

i'm not sold on that main girl actor, but i'm a sucker for any fall of civilization premise

trackercowe
05-14-2012, 12:51 AM
CSI Miami has been cancelled after ten seasons. I find that quite surprising to say the least' obviously it wasn't a good show, but it was a ratings producer for the majority of its run.

OilKiller
05-14-2012, 07:20 AM

And the wife and I howled every time we saw the commercial and even more so in the show. Oh well, can't win 'em all.

I thought The River sucked. Throwing stuff at the screen with an ominous soundtrack with lound noises mixed in! When I found out it had the same director as Paranomal Activity I was like, "yeah, figures".

Supernatural stuff isn't intellectually scary at all, so I guess they have to abuse instincts that were ingrained thousands of years ago instead.

I'll take "procedurals" like Castle or Bones over that any day - the ones that actually make an effort to make their shows fun to watch.

The zombie episode when they finally found Emmet Cole, made The Walking Dead look like The Muppets it was so freakin' crazy scary, but again, each to his own. If I had to sit through crap like Castle and Bones instead of innovative shows like The River I would simply turn the TV off.

The Goon
05-14-2012, 09:05 AM
"Awake" was very enjoyable, but I couldn't see how it would become an ongoing series. I hope they can wrap it up properly in the remaining two episodes. Jason Isaacs is a compelling actor, despite never hearing about him before.

getbak
05-14-2012, 11:39 AM
Fox announced their fall schedule today: http://www.tv.com/news/foxs-2012-2013-schedule-glee-moves-to-thursdays-touch-to-fridays-28660/

Not a lot of changes. Only 3 new shows in the fall, with 2 mid-season replacements waiting.

Coach
05-14-2012, 12:01 PM
My roommates and I really enjoyed The River. Too bad it's cancelled.

kermitology
05-14-2012, 01:49 PM
Wow.. I'm really surprised at the hate towards New Girl. I wasn't digging it for the first 5 or 6 episodes because Deschanel was being too quirky, but after that they really played up more of the other characters, and it has since become my favourite comedy.

Rathji
05-14-2012, 02:07 PM
Wow.. I'm really surprised at the hate towards New Girl. I wasn't digging it for the first 5 or 6 episodes because Deschanel was being too quirky, but after that they really played up more of the other characters, and it has since become my favourite comedy.

I think that was my biggest problem with it as well, and if a show doesn't stop annoying me after 5-6 episodes, it no longer gets recorded.

Kind of sad that Terra Nova isn't coming back either. Pretty much knew that already though, but this solidifies it. I know it wasn't the best show, but there is a lack of good sci-fi type stuff right now so it really filled a void for me, or maybe I am just not looking hard enough.

undercoverbrother
05-14-2012, 02:11 PM
I am also interested in Revolution. I hope it focuses on the struggles of survival, and not on the "supernatural cause of loss of power". In short, make it about the people and what they go through to survive, not a never ending quest to discover the reason why the power went out.

Pacem
05-14-2012, 02:51 PM
Rules of Engagement really gets crappy treatment. Hard to tell when its on. Was suppose to be on Saturdays then they changed it after that horrible How to be a Gentleman show. Its like CBS's go to mid season replacement show. Commit to the show or let it go.

Adam, the ditzy guy is very funny on that show. Big fan of the Puddy character on Seinfeld, so kind of happy to see it sorta live on in that show.

Yeah, pretty much the same for me so glad she finally toned it down. My wife liked the show off the bat so that is the only reason it was getting recorded. Schmidt is one of the funniest characters on T.V.

No real disappointments for me by the looks of things. Happy Endings, Parks and Rec, Community, and Modern Family are still on so im good to go.

d_phaneuf
05-14-2012, 02:53 PM
since New Girl moved away from being completely about Zooey and more to an ensemble with more focus on Schmidt (which was around about episode 10) it has been a great show

it's a lot like Happy Endings (which also took awhile to get going)

TopChed
05-14-2012, 02:56 PM
While the concept of Revolution seems kind of interesting, I'm not sure I can ever get into it. How do rifles work, but an internal combustion engine suddenly doesn't?

Rathji
05-14-2012, 02:58 PM
While the concept of Revolution seems kind of interesting, I'm not sure I can ever get into it. How do rifles work, but an internal combustion engine suddenly doesn't?

An internal combustion engine is almost certainly controlled by electronics, whereas a rifle is not.

Komskies
05-14-2012, 02:58 PM
Echoing the sentiments of a few others in here, it's too bad to see The River go. My brother and I quite enjoyed watching it on Shaw on Demand.

TopChed
05-14-2012, 03:03 PM
An internal combustion engine is almost certainly controlled by electronics, whereas a rifle is not.

So they based the show around the fact that our entire human civilization can't build an engine that doesn't use electronics?

Don't mean to get too off topic, but I just don't know that I'll get into a storyline that starts off like that.

troutman
05-14-2012, 03:13 PM
since New Girl moved away from being completely about Zooey and more to an ensemble with more focus on Schmidt (which was around about episode 10) it has been a great show

IIRC, Friends was supposed to be a Courtney Cox vehicle, but became a show about the ensemble.

Rathji
05-14-2012, 03:20 PM
So they based the show around the fact that our entire human civilization can't build an engine that doesn't use electronics?

Don't mean to get too off topic, but I just don't know that I'll get into a storyline that starts off like that.

I am sure they could build one, but there is so much more involved in a vehicle running than just having an engine that runs. Things like fuel refining, maintenance on both the vehicle and roads they would use. You do see they get some electronics working, but they would be hacked together stuff, more of a one off situation.

There are some thing that look ridiculous about that trailer for sure, like the plane that suddenly ignores momentum and falls straight down out of the sky, and everyone seems a bit too well groomed for living 15 years without electricity.

Like hemi-cuda, I am a huge sucker for end of the world stuff, so this is going onto my must watch listing.

TurnedTheCorner
05-14-2012, 03:27 PM
The key to turning on all the power is the Dad's love contained in the USB locket that powers IRC chats. Eye cry evrytiem.

kermitology
05-14-2012, 03:33 PM

I laughed pretty hard at the reference to Damon Wayans Jr going to Happy Endings in the video Nick made for himself.

"Treat Coach right or he'll leave you and go hang out with a bunch of other white people."

blankall
05-14-2012, 03:54 PM
30 Rock is not cancelled then?

Parallex
05-14-2012, 04:09 PM

Yeah, that's a bit of a red flag for me too. I like the concept so I'll give it a healthy shot but if they can't come up with a plausible reason for that then that speaks to some awfully poor writing.

Azure
05-14-2012, 04:50 PM
I'm looking forward to Revolution, but I find it hard to believe in the plot of a show that revolves around a society that can't figure out how to turn the power back on.

blankall
05-14-2012, 05:30 PM
I'm looking forward to Revolution, but I find it hard to believe in the plot of a show that revolves around a society that can't figure out how to turn the power back on.

It could be some kind of atmospheric change that permanently disrupts the flow of electricity. In which case, there'd be no way to turn the power back on.

That being said, I still don't get why the engines are stopping too. The show seems to be suggesting that not just electronics but engines are stopping too.

Hemi-Cuda
05-14-2012, 10:25 PM
It could be some kind of atmospheric change that permanently disrupts the flow of electricity. In which case, there'd be no way to turn the power back on.

That being said, I still don't get why the engines are stopping too. The show seems to be suggesting that not just electronics but engines are stopping too.

well aside from that, once the engine is stopped how do you get it started again? unless everyone has a car with a manual transmission and a steep hill to bomb start it, you'd have to re-engineer the entire engine just to get it to turn over

blankall
05-14-2012, 11:08 PM
well aside from that, once the engine is stopped how do you get it started again? unless everyone has a car with a manual transmission and a steep hill to bomb start it, you'd have to re-engineer the entire engine just to get it to turn over

Good point. All modern cars use batteries and hence need electricity... Guess you could pretty easily make a bike powered by a lawnmower engine.

getbak
05-16-2012, 12:59 AM
ABC announced its fall schedule on Tuesday: http://cdn.media.abc.go.com/m/pdf/shows/new-shows/ABC_Fall_Schedule_2012_print.pdf

Previews of the new shows: http://beta.abc.go.com/shows/new-shows?cid=abc_ss4_upfronts_201213

None of the new shows really grab me. Most of the dramas seem pretty soapy, except for Last Resort, which I'm not sure about yet.

I like this summary of Last Resort from tv.com: "it's the only show on ABC geared toward humans with a penis."

By putting Last Man Standing and Malibu Country on Friday nights, it looks like ABC is trying to bring back the TGIF Friday night comedy block, but it appears that they're targeting the parents of the kids who used to watch Full House and Family Matters. Their kids are now grown up and out of the house, and the parents are old and boring and have nothing better to do on a Friday night than watch crappy sitcoms.

Sadly, Malibu Country will probably crush Community in the ratings.

Hockey
05-16-2012, 04:05 PM
New girl was the only new show I ended up watching this year. I did enjoy it, my favorite character was Nick. I thought he was hilarious.

I did watch the 1st few episodes of Alcatraz and wanted to like it. I ended up missing a few episodes then I heard it was getting cancelled so I never bothered to try and watch the rest of it.

Eastern Girl
05-16-2012, 04:35 PM
I liked New Girl more after they toned down the New Girl

They need to rename it The Nick and Schmidt Show, cause they are the heart of it. I'm glad it was renewed. I'm disappointed Harry's Law was cancelled. It was fairly unrealistic in a lot of ways, but I like Kathy Bates and thought the show was well done.

Alcatraz was a disappointment. I really wanted to like it and was looking forward to it, but it just failed to deliver. I didn't care about any of the characters. They didn't reveal enough of the overarching plot to keep me interested.

I watched the first couple episodes of The River when it originally aired and I wasn't too into it, but then I watched most of the series again while staying at a friends house and I quite enjoyed it.

getbak
05-17-2012, 12:31 PM
Over the last two days, CBS and The CW have announced their fall schedules.

CBS: http://www.cbs.com/shows/new_season_central/

Not a lot of changes for the most-watched network. The biggest surprise is probably moving Two and a Half Men to Thursdays after Big Bang Theory, and moving Two Broke Girls into Two and a Half Men's slot on Mondays.

Rules of Engagement is not on the fall schedule, but has apparently not yet been cancelled. Negotiations between the network and studio are still underway.

CW: http://cwtv.com/shows/

Not much on this channel for male viewers, or anyone over the age of 25. They have their niche, and cater to it.

Now, all the networks line-ups are set:
http://pmctvline2.files.wordpress.com/2012/05/falltvgrid2012r4.jpg

octothorp
05-18-2012, 11:09 AM
I'm sort of incredulous that Smash got a second season... I watched the first four episodes or so, and my wife has stuck through it for the entire season and reports back on how awful it is. I think a lot of people, like my wife, stuck with it to see how bad it would get. (We both laughed hard last night when Fey's character on 30-Rock last night said "I don't bail. I'm still watching Smash!") Even TV critics are apologizing for recommending it early in the season. I think its ratings are going to plummet hard next season.

Azure
05-18-2012, 05:06 PM

Which would indicate that some extraterrestrial force is involved, which then means the show will be crap because they'll do everything to keep you thinking but in the end it'll just be stupid aliens.

That or a government conspiracy. Yay.

Roast Beef
05-21-2012, 01:25 AM

What about all the electrical impulses in our bodies? Is there still lightning? The entire concept sounds silly. I'll probably end up watching the first few episodes though.

Lt.Spears
05-22-2012, 10:09 AM
Cant believe the office got Renewed, its an awful show now.

To Be Quite Honest
05-23-2012, 05:40 PM
ABC announced its fall schedule on Tuesday: http://cdn.media.abc.go.com/m/pdf/shows/new-shows/ABC_Fall_Schedule_2012_print.pdf

Previews of the new shows: http://beta.abc.go.com/shows/new-shows?cid=abc_ss4_upfronts_201213

None of the new shows really grab me. Most of the dramas seem pretty soapy, except for Last Resort, which I'm not sure about yet.

I like this summary of Last Resort from tv.com: "it's the only show on ABC geared toward humans with a penis."

By putting Last Man Standing and Malibu Country on Friday nights, it looks like ABC is trying to bring back the TGIF Friday night comedy block, but it appears that they're targeting the parents of the kids who used to watch Full House and Family Matters. Their kids are now grown up and out of the house, and the parents are old and boring and have nothing better to do on a Friday night than watch crappy sitcoms.

Sadly, Malibu Country will probably crush Community in the ratings.

The shows that I watched on the ABC website seem geared to women... Every freaking one of them. I didn't make it to "last resort" however.

DownhillGoat
05-23-2012, 05:44 PM
The shows that I watched on the ABC website seem geared to women... Every freaking one of them. I didn't make it to "last resort" however.
Isn't that kind of how ABC has always geared though? At least in recent years. Although I must admit Last Man Standing was okay. Not a big departure from Home Improvement, but still good for a few laughs.

To Be Quite Honest
05-23-2012, 08:54 PM
Isn't that kind of how ABC has always geared though? At least in recent years. Although I must admit Last Man Standing was okay. Not a big departure from Home Improvement, but still good for a few laughs.

You may be correct! The only show I ever gave the time of day was Modern Family of which was, in fact, recorded for this evening.

ABC's top shows... (http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2012/01/10/abc-opens-2012-with-9-of-the-top-20-non-sports-shows-in-adults-18-49-airing-tvs-no-1-comedy-the-no-1-drama-and-the-no-1-freshman-drama/116034/)