PDA

View Full Version : NBC terminating 30 Rock, Parks & Rec renewed for 22 shows, Community renewed for 13.

Trojan97
05-10-2012, 04:56 PM
http://www.opposingviews.com/i/entertainment/nbc-makes-drastic-call-veteran-comedies-30-rock-community-and-parks-recreation

The struggling Peacock network is taking a new direction with its primetime lineup, and that means cleaning house. Until this week, the once-dominant network had been suspiciously mum on its plans for next season. That all changed with a giant info dump from NBC execs which included the fates of veteran sitcoms “30 Rock,” “Community” and “Parks and Recreation.”
All three critical darlings will be given abbreviated “send off” seasons followed by immediate termination.

Update: 30 Rock is done for sure. They're getting 13 episodes and they're done. Community is getting an abbreviated 13 episode season which means they're probably done as well at the conclusion of next season but there's hope. Parks and Rec has been given 22 episodes, so hopefully they're able to stick around.

blankall
05-10-2012, 05:04 PM
I was under the impression all three of these shows were quite successful. Maybe not?

TorqueDog
05-10-2012, 05:06 PM
What the hell? Really? 30 Rock and Community are awesome.

I hope another network is able to pick them up.

Envitro
05-10-2012, 05:08 PM
NBC has the worst decision making skills of any network

Last season they cancelled "The Event" after it was getting really, really interesting.
Does a freakin' monkey make decisions at NBC???

Sparks
05-10-2012, 05:28 PM
IMO, 30 Rock is already a season past its best before date, but Parks and Recreation deserves at least a full final season. That's very disappointing.

Notorious Honey Badger
05-10-2012, 05:29 PM
30 rock is no longer interesting. good call.

Mike F
05-10-2012, 05:35 PM
I hope this will allow room for more reality show tripe and 4 Office spin-offs.

Sainters7
05-10-2012, 05:39 PM
Brutal news about Parks & Rec too, obviously the writing was on the wall after the 6 week hiatus but I was hoping for the best. No more Ron Swanson makes me a sad panda.

nik-
05-10-2012, 05:42 PM
That's quite the blow to the "clever show" segment.

burnin_vernon
05-10-2012, 05:43 PM
Is The Office staying? I'm a fan of the show but this season has left me completely disinterested.

devo22
05-10-2012, 05:44 PM
didn't care about 30 Rock and Parks & Recreation, but Community was absolutely fantastic. I expected it to end, but it's a heavy blow nonetheless :(

Not that it's surprising though ... in terms of comedy, I don't expect any clever decisions from NBC since they ended the once brilliant "My Name is Earl" with a cliffhanger. Plus their crazy business with "Scrubs" a few years earlier ...

HotHotHeat
05-10-2012, 06:07 PM
Only people to blame are Americans.

Hilch
05-10-2012, 06:09 PM
30 Rock and Community are meh as I don't even PVR them anymore but Parks And REc? Really?! Man I'm gonna miss Tom!

flames_1987
05-10-2012, 06:29 PM
Learn how to market your shows better, NBC continues to produce quality shows but has no idea how to advertise them.

Joborule
05-10-2012, 07:11 PM
Those three are each one of the better comedies on network tv right now. If they aren't getting ratings perhaps NBC should terminate their marketing staff.

That or terminate the American tv audience who can't get enough of The Voice and Jersey Shore.

Hilch
05-10-2012, 07:23 PM
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/01/06/community-not-canceled-season-3-nbc-joel-mchale_n_1189716.html

"'Community' has not been canceled," said NBC Entertainment chief Bob Greenblatt at the Television Critics Association 2012 winter press tour. "It will definitely be back in the spring," he added, according to a tweet from TV Guide. (http://twitter.com/#!/TVGuideMagazine/status/155347144126115840)

I hope the same for Parks & Rec. Although my favorite comedies are on ABC right now it would be a bummer to see P&R gone.

MrMastodonFarm
05-10-2012, 07:24 PM
NBC Will Reportedly Gently Cancel 30 Rock, Parks and Recreation, and Community

http://www.vanityfair.com/online/oscars/2012/05/nbc-cancels-30-rock-parks-and-recreation-community-tina-fey-final-season
A trio of devastating television developments today: NBC reportedly plans to raze 75 percent of its beloved Thursday-night comedy lineup. The rumored casualties: 30 Rock, Community, and Parks and Recreation—all three of which represent some of the smartest (if only moderately watched) comedic output by any network right now. Instead of canceling the shows outright, the Peacock network will reportedly announce shortened final seasons for each at next week’s annual “upfront” presentation in New York City

Regular_John
05-10-2012, 08:10 PM
It's clear what we need to do, send 30 Rocks to NBC every day until 30 Rock is renewed.

Barnes
05-10-2012, 08:18 PM
Sometimes I wonder if NBC would be better off had they remained part of Shineheart Wigs rather than KableTown.

MRCboicgy
05-10-2012, 08:34 PM
All you need to know about what's replacing it:

"The network has already confirmed series orders (http://www.vulture.com/2012/05/1600-penn-animal-practice-nbc.html?mid=rss) for six new comedies, including Go On, from NBC alum Matthew Perry..."

God help us - Matthew Perry...

MrMastodonFarm
05-10-2012, 08:42 PM
All you need to know about what's replacing it:

"The network has already confirmed series orders (http://www.vulture.com/2012/05/1600-penn-animal-practice-nbc.html?mid=rss) for six new comedies, including Go On, from NBC alum Matthew Perry..."

God help us - Matthew Perry...

veterinary-clinic-set Animal Practice (apparently retitled from Animal Kingdom?) starring Justin Kirk of Weeds
This guy is hilarious, well atleast he is on Weeds so I'm hopeful.

getbak
05-10-2012, 09:15 PM
Most of the reports I've read have said that 30 Rock is the only one that is definitely ending next season. NBC is apparently looking at moving towards the cable model of shorter seasons of a greater number of shows.

theinfinitejar
05-10-2012, 10:03 PM
http://www.avclub.com/articles/nbc-renews-community-for-13episode-fourth-season,73893/
NBC has renewed Community (http://www.avclub.com/tvclub/tvshow/community,87/) for a 13-episode fourth season, as per the Hollywood Reporter (http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/nbc-renews-community-323145). The deal is not for a final season, like the deal for 30 Rock (http://www.avclub.com/tvclub/tvshow/30-rock,23/) announced earlier today (http://www.avclub.com/articles/nbc-officially-renews-30-rock-for-its-final-season,73872/), but there is no news on whether or not there will be the potential for more episodes if the show exceeds expectations (or simply performs slightly better than the new comedies on the network).
I imagine P&R will be similar, the only show cancelled as of yet is 30 Rock after its 13 episode run.

sun
05-10-2012, 10:20 PM
How is the Office still around? That show is god-awful now. I caught a rerun of a season 2 episode and it was head and shoulders better than the tripe this show is currently pumping out.

d_phaneuf
05-10-2012, 10:29 PM
http://www.avclub.com/articles/nbc-renews-community-for-13episode-fourth-season,73893/

I imagine P&R will be similar, the only show cancelled as of yet is 30 Rock after its 13 episode run.

I saw someone say the 13 episodes of Community could be extended to 22 as well, 30 rock is the only one guaranteed to be 13 with the final season

Parks and Rec is more successful than both of them so at the least its getting 13

corporatejay
05-10-2012, 10:35 PM
30 rock is expensive and I'm sure Baldwin and Fey want to move on. Just makes sense. Thread title is misleading as most outlets are saying they are short order seasons with a possibility of a back9 pick up or another 13 episode season

d_phaneuf
05-10-2012, 10:37 PM
*) While a bunch of NBC shows got renewal news today, at the time I'm writing this, "Parks" is still in limbo. My assumption is that we'll get some good news sometime tomorrow — possibly in tandem with sister show "The Office" (which is also not yet technically renewed) — since, as much as I love "Community," it makes no sense to me that NBC would renew that show (which has lower ratings and is produced by an outside studio) over this one (which does better and is wholly-owned by NBC Universal).

makes sense

theinfinitejar
05-10-2012, 10:52 PM
I saw someone say the 13 episodes of Community could be extended to 22 as well, 30 rock is the only one guaranteed to be 13 with the final season

Parks and Rec is more successful than both of them so at the least its getting 13
They're also very close to the traditional syndication threshold of 88 episodes. Looking at what NBC is expecting to replace them with (Matthew Perry and Anne Heche? Really?) there's a real good chance both of them are picked up for more episodes.

RW99
05-10-2012, 11:15 PM
I hate NBC now. Once Office is done, there will be no shows I watch on the network anymore. They ruined great shows such as Heroes and Studio 60.

3 Justin 3
05-10-2012, 11:31 PM
As much as NBC is to blame for these dumb decisions, it's the dumbass American audience who is really to blame. Two and a Half Men has more viewers this season than any of the last 7 years and The Big Bang Theory is the highest rated show on television. It's freaking ridiculous how utterly clueless Americans are when watching television.

Oh, but let's order six new comedies that might be good (but will get cancelled), and no one will watch.

Parks and Rec. better not get cancelled or I'll lose it (same with Community).

Sidney Crosby's Hat
05-11-2012, 12:58 AM
NBC should be doing much better than it is with the quality programming it has. It just doesn't seem to know what to do with it.

I'm still amazed at how badly they pooched Chuck throughout pretty much its entire run.

Daradon
05-11-2012, 01:01 AM
I hope this will allow room for more reality show tripe and 4 Office spin-offs.

Isn't that basically what Parks & Rec is? I know it's not an official spin off, but could it be more like The Office? And isn't Mr. Swanson really just a manly butchy Dwight?

Not a fan, I tried to be.

I don't think I like a single show on networks anymore though. It's all HBO and AMC for me. And Comedy Network.

Sidney Crosby's Hat
05-11-2012, 01:05 AM
Isn't that basically what Parks & Rec is? I know it's not an official spin off, but could it be more like The Office? And isn't Mr. Swanson really just a manly butchy Dwight?

Not a fan, I tried to be.

I don't think I like a single show on networks anymore though. It's all HBO and AMC for me. And Comedy Network.

Don't forget about IFC!

FE_9CzLCbkY

Daradon
05-11-2012, 01:12 AM
^^^ lol not trying to be snobby, Though some IFC is good.

Medium Rare
05-11-2012, 01:22 AM
How is the Office still around? That show is god-awful now. I caught a rerun of a season 2 episode and it was head and shoulders better than the tripe this show is currently pumping out.

It's brutal, I still watch it out of habit, but they should have ended it last year. I barely get a laugh out of it anymore. Sounds to me like there's a very real chance it might be done soon. Kelly (Mindy Kaling) got a new show on Fox, and nothing's been renewed yet for next season.

Flames89
05-11-2012, 06:46 AM
And isn't Mr. Swanson really just a manly butchy Dwight?

Wow.
Isn't Batman just a larger, differently dressed *insert lamer superhero here*?
Ron Swanson is one of the best characters on TV.

Bigtime
05-11-2012, 06:50 AM
Encouraging to hear the potential for Community to stick around past next season.

Daradon
05-11-2012, 08:48 AM
Wow.
Isn't Batman just a larger, differently dressed *insert lamer superhero here*?
Ron Swanson is one of the best characters on TV.

I'm open to your denial, but it's not much of an argument. Dwight was the best 6 years ago too. The shows are the same. The jokes are the same.

And don't worry about making superhero comparisons, I hate superhero movies. I especially hate Batman. 'How will I win the day? Oh, I suddenly have a new gadget!'

And yeah, before you get all pissy, that happened in the modern DK as well. Remember the supercomputer at the end that tracked sound, suddenly when he needed it?

Batman sucks only slightly less than Superman.

Incogneto
05-11-2012, 09:32 AM
oh man. Community is the #1 show on TV imo. cancelling it would be a huge mistake....

troutman
05-11-2012, 09:47 AM
Bad move by NBC. In the past they gave struggling critically acclaimed shows a chance to find an audience (Cheers, Hill Street Blues, Seinfeld), and they eventually became ratings juggernauts. Quality will prevail in the end.

I can see other cable networks picking up these shows.

NBC could be underestimating how many people watch these shows, as young people may not show-up in traditional ratings reports.

octothorp
05-11-2012, 10:16 AM
It'll be interesting to see how the Arrested Development / Netflix experiment goes and whether it makes sense for them to pick up other shows that have enthusiastic cult followings; Community would probably still be a little bit below AD in terms of passionate fan-base, but in the same general category. Hell, if Netflix Canada carried new episodes of Arrested Development, Parks and Rec, and Community, that might be enough for me to finally cancel cable... that represents about 80% of my new TV viewing, not including live sports.

OutOfTheCube
05-11-2012, 10:18 AM
I'm pleased there's a fourth season happening at all... after it's hiatus, even that seemed to be unlikely.

Daradon
05-11-2012, 12:44 PM
I do agree they are losing value. And will probably (try to) make up for it with crap reality. I agree, they aren't bad shows.

But I do have to wonder what people saw with Parks. Recycled joke central. 30 Rock dying respectfully. No need to extend. Office gone anyway, one year too late.

I will admit I never saw Community.

I guess my demographic got your show pulled? YAY!!! Finally the bus riding, equal rights waving, lunch pail, non WASP gets a vote!

When it really matters anyway... Go Occupy...

#ihaveaninternetconnectionandimkillingyourTVchanne ls

Lt.Spears
05-11-2012, 12:54 PM
Network TV is basically showing its age.

The only real good shows are on HBO and AMC.

flames_1987
05-11-2012, 01:22 PM
Parks and Rec now up to 22 episode order for next season and they deserve it. I do prefer the creativity non-Network shows can work with but Community and Parks and Rec are incredibly well written shows, with great casts.

getbak
05-11-2012, 01:30 PM
Up All Night gets a 13 episode second season order: http://tvline.com/2012/05/11/parks-and-recreation-renewed/

And in WTFNBC news, Whitney also gets a second season: http://tvline.com/2012/05/11/whitney-renewed/

3 Justin 3
05-11-2012, 02:22 PM
Parks and Rec now up to 22 episode order for next season and they deserve it. I do prefer the creativity non-Network shows can work with but Community and Parks and Rec are incredibly well written shows, with great casts.

Wow, so it did get renewed AND a 22 ep. order. Excellent news.

d_phaneuf
05-11-2012, 02:23 PM
22!!!!!!!!!

in celebration I may move to Winterfell, or possible New Caprica

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m3v8yqlH9o1qhc6nwo1_500.jpg

Flaming Choy
05-11-2012, 04:04 PM
22!!!!!!!!!

in celebration I may move to Winterfell, or possible New Caprica

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m3v8yqlH9o1qhc6nwo1_500.jpg

Something tells me, Andy was listening to the Beach Boys while making that list.

MrMastodonFarm
05-11-2012, 04:16 PM
Something tells me, Andy was listening to the Beach Boys while making that list.

ha, totally missed that.

getbak
05-11-2012, 04:33 PM
When I was watching it last night, I did a freeze on the board, and I first saw Cocomo (sic), which is an actual city in Indiana (well, Kokomo is), so I thought it was just a place they liked, then I read the ones above and realized that it was the list of places mentioned in the song.

I also like Pegasus and New Caprica.

Any idea what the D.M.B. (or maybe it's O.M.B.) after S. Africa would stand for?

MrMastodonFarm
05-11-2012, 04:37 PM
Any idea what the D.M.B. (or maybe it's O.M.B.) after S. Africa would stand for?
Probably a Dave Matthews referece, who Andy has sung several times on the show I think. DMB = Dave Matthews Band, Dave Matthews is from South Africa.
1V5HyX_JruU

Mike F
05-11-2012, 04:39 PM
If Community gets cancelled, one guy we won't have to worry about is Ken Jeong (http://entertainment.time.com/2012/04/13/top-10-wicked-smart-actors/?iid=ent-article-populist-widget#ken-jeong):

A distinguished high-school student, Jeong embarked on the academic arc that is every Asian parent’s dream: four years at a prestigious university (Duke) and an M.D. from a top medical school (UNC – Chapel Hill). It was during his residency in internal medicine at a New Orleans hospital that Jeong began working on his comedy.

flames_1987
05-11-2012, 06:01 PM
I can't wait for a season 5 storyline about Andy becoming a cop. I've also loved the Ron Swanson character arc over the last 5 seasons. He was a little cartoonish in the 1st season, but some of the shows best moments have been the sentimental ones with him and Leslie and his relationship with Andy

MrMastodonFarm
05-11-2012, 06:04 PM
-gLLk8JEEpM

Hockey_Ninja
05-11-2012, 06:38 PM
NBC cancelled Heroes. Not surprised they are continuing getting rid of all of the good shows. The Office really is bad now, i used to love that show but i just can't watch it anymore. Hopefully it will end soon.

Hemi-Cuda
05-11-2012, 08:14 PM
NBC cancelled Heroes. Not surprised they are continuing getting rid of all of the good shows. The Office really is bad now, i used to love that show but i just can't watch it anymore. Hopefully it will end soon.

Heroes was terrible outside of the first season. and if any of these shows were on Fox they would have been cancelled long before now. at least NBC recognizes the cult following that Community has and is giving it more time

theinfinitejar
05-11-2012, 09:45 PM
Can we edit the title of this post now?

3 Justin 3
05-11-2012, 10:04 PM
Can we edit the title of this post now?

I was going to say, the thread title is completely inaccurate and yet it stays.

So to re-cap:

30 Rock - 13 (?) episode final season
Community - 13 episode season (not final season)
Parks and Rec. - 22 episode season (not final season)

Would have been perfect if Community got the 22, but I'll take 13. 30 Rock isn't that good.

OilKiller
05-11-2012, 10:15 PM
Heroes was terrible outside of the first season.

You need to add an IMO to that.

Disagree totally...

flames_1987
05-11-2012, 10:21 PM
Heroes was god awful after it's first season. That was a show with no direction and way to much hype.

OilKiller
05-11-2012, 10:52 PM
LOL...ok, well, each to his own.

Mean Mr. Mustard
05-11-2012, 10:58 PM

Disagree totally...

There was a second season? That show completely fell off the face of the earth.

OilKiller
05-11-2012, 10:59 PM
Meh, whatever guys....I enjoyed it beyond season one, but pile on if you must.

Mean Mr. Mustard
05-11-2012, 11:17 PM
I wasn't insulting you for liking a show, it could be Skating with the Stars for all I care, it makes no difference to me. I was just commenting on the fact that the show really wasn't able to carry much momentum with the common viewer, it may have been great but if no one watches what chance does it have.

I googled it and there was four seasons, I actually am shocked.

OilKiller
05-11-2012, 11:51 PM
Watched all four and was upset when it was gone...

3 Justin 3
05-12-2012, 01:57 AM
Watched all four and was upset when it was gone...

It's the same with Chuck for me. Even though the quality of the show took a huge hit after season 3 (season 2 was the best season), and season 4 and 5 were pretty weak by Chuck standards, I'm still super sad the show is gone.

I just find that unless the show is a crime/drama/cop show they don't stick around for too long. All the good shows never stick around (though they are usually niche shows so I understand why), it sucks.

FanningTheFlames
05-12-2012, 09:51 AM
I guess I'm all alone in preferring 30 rock to community and P&R. I'll admit, they are hit or miss sometimes but when they hit, they hit it out of the park. Their recent live episode was hysterical.

OilKiller
05-12-2012, 10:47 AM
I guess I'm all alone in preferring 30 rock to community and P&R. I'll admit, they are hit or miss sometimes but when they hit, they hit it out of the park. Their recent live episode was hysterical.

Not at all. 30 Rock is the only one I can watch out of those 3. 30 Rock is brilliant most episodes, while the other two I just found stupid.

Mean Mr. Mustard
05-12-2012, 12:32 PM
I enjoyed 30 Rock but that has to be a very expensive show to produce based upon the cast alone and they have more than enough episodes to make it to syndication. It was a show that you could watch any episode as a stand alone episode and still enjoy it which is the real key to longevity in my opinion, the casual viewer needs to be able to follow the storyline.

Hockey_Ninja
05-12-2012, 12:59 PM
There was a second season? That show completely fell off the face of the earth.
Season 2 wasn't the best but it still had some strong points. This was around the time of the writers strike so they had to change the series around. Petty tough when your put into a situation like this and to come up with better ideas. If the writers strike never happened then i bet the series wouldn't had fallen as hard as it did.

Sainters7
05-12-2012, 01:01 PM

I can't believe thats the only show saved, thats appalling. Should've been the only show cancelled. Used to love it from seasons 2-4, but its been unwatchable for some time now. Jim & Pam make me sick.

EDIT: Commented after reading 2nd page, just read the rest. Wait, what? P&R is saved? Niiiice

TopChed
05-12-2012, 03:35 PM

Disagree totally...

Me too... Every season of Heroes was beyond terrible.

Also, it came as a bit of a shock to me that NBC was doing so poorly. I don't watch a lot of network TV outside of sports, but most of the shows I do watch are Thursday nights on NBC. I guess they just don't have those huge shows like American Idol and whatever else everyone in America watches.

Coach
05-14-2012, 03:19 PM
I loved Heroes until season 4 with all the carnival BS that started. They could have just

left Sylar and Nathan dead

and ended the series right there. And really the biggest problem with the show WAS the cancellation. The 4th season ended on a huge cliffhanger that went unanswered. You'd think a show that went for 4 seasons would get an actual finale.