PDA

View Full Version : California high school student solves cancer?

schteve_d
01-21-2012, 08:58 PM
Angela's idea was to mix cancer medicine in a polymer that would attach to nanoparticles -- nanoparticles that would then attach to cancer cells and show up on an MRI. so doctors could see exactly where the tumors are. Then she thought shat if you aimed an infrared light at the tumors to melt the polymer and release the medicine, thus killing the cancer cells while leaving healthy cells completely unharmed.

It'll take years to know if it works in humans -- but in mice -- the tumors almost completely disappeared.

Article and video (http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-18563_162-57358994/calif-hs-student-devises-possible-cancer-cure/?tag=contentMain%3BcontentAux) The "article" is just a text copy of the video so watch or read.

HalifaxDrunk
01-21-2012, 09:53 PM
shat
:D :w00t:

TorqueDog
01-21-2012, 10:36 PM
This is relevant to my interests.

Thor
01-21-2012, 10:43 PM
Hope the tests go beyond prelim tests.

If I was a betting man, this is going to fail miserably. :(

Dion
01-21-2012, 10:46 PM
We can only hope she's on to something. Cancer does not disciminate who it attacks and has to be eradicated. No one should ever have to suffer the cruelty cancer inflicts on people.

emti
01-21-2012, 10:49 PM
if this works, shes a trillionaire

Dion
01-21-2012, 10:50 PM

She'll have a special place in history.

Winsor_Pilates
01-21-2012, 10:54 PM
The cynic in my wonders how many trillionaire's have been made by cancer research not working.

I would hate to think people would ever consider the profits of keeping cancer around, but with all of the money and research put towards it; it's surprising we're not closer to cancer being gone.

eddly
01-21-2012, 11:07 PM
Solve cancer? As if it is just one disease, it is 1000s of problems collectively called cancer. There is not just one kind/cause of cancer.

I want to be optimistic, but what she is done sounds very similar to other clinical studies I have read. Good luck though, sounds like a great career ahead of her.

saskflames69
01-21-2012, 11:26 PM
My generation has done something! Meanwhile, I'm gonna go play some xbox.

Kybosh
01-22-2012, 12:44 AM
I've seen this type of work before. The first question I have, that the article does not address, is what type of tumor cell lines were they investigating? It states that it's worked on mice but I'd like to know what the cell line was (mouse, human or otherwise) and what type of tumors were investigated.

It is a huge step to move beyond mice, which is nearly the first step.

Sluggo
01-22-2012, 02:31 AM
Nanoparticles, polimer, MRI, infrared light, medicine... sounds expensive.

Kavvy
01-22-2012, 08:40 AM

.... really?

grizz29
01-22-2012, 10:41 AM
Not if big pharma has their way.

Street Pharmacist
01-22-2012, 10:42 AM
Not if big pharma has their way.

Lol. Yes. The million people conspiracy.

squiggs96
01-22-2012, 10:48 AM
I thought this was going to be a thread about Matt Barnaby.

Street Pharmacist
01-22-2012, 11:11 AM
I've seen this type of work before. The first question I have, that the article does not address, is what type of tumor cell lines were they investigating? It states that it's worked on mice but I'd like to know what the cell line was (mouse, human or otherwise) and what type of tumors were investigated.

It is a huge step to move beyond mice, which is nearly the first step.

As you are probably well aware, novel drug delivery methods with micelles, immunologic targeting, etc methods are not a novel technique. In fact, polymer delivery technology was being investigated say the U of A pharmacy faculty when I was there (until 2007). The delivery method seldom improves the efficacy, it is designed to limit toxicities.

Kybosh
01-22-2012, 11:34 AM
As you are probably well aware, novel drug delivery methods with micelles, immunologic targeting, etc methods are not a novel technique. In fact, polymer delivery technology was being investigated say the U of A pharmacy faculty when I was there (until 2007). The delivery method seldom improves the efficacy, it is designed to limit toxicities.

Yeah, I've seen many types of drug delivery protocols and there is always some sort of drawback. I'm not trying to discount this young woman (she clearly has a bright future), but media over-sensationalizing research drives me bonkers. I no longer work in a research lab, so I am unable of easily digging up articles anymore, but I'd like to see specifically what work this group was doing.

TorqueDog
01-22-2012, 12:42 PM
Not if big pharma has their way.If you happen to experience any WLAN issues at home, may I recommend not living inside a tinfoil tent?

Jade
01-22-2012, 01:25 PM
Interesting how this amazing student 'discovered' an area of research that has been going on for over a decade.
http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/body/halas-nanoshell.html.

Canuck-Hater
01-22-2012, 01:29 PM
Lol. Yes. The million people conspiracy.

How is it a conspiracy? Think of the profits pharmaceutical corporations make from people dying of cancer! Is it so hard to believe that they would rather make millions than save lives? Its a very valid opinion.

grizz29
01-22-2012, 01:33 PM
If you happen to experience any WLAN issues at home, may I recommend not living inside a tinfoil tent?

Did you come up with that little gem all by yourself? <removed>

TorqueDog
01-22-2012, 01:36 PM
^ Sorry, was I supposed to approach your comment with any more maturity than what it brought to the discussion itself?
How is it a conspiracy? Think of the profits pharmaceutical corporations make from people dying of cancer! Is it so hard to believe that they would rather make millions than save lives? Its a very valid opinion.You always stand to make more money when your customers... y'know... don't die. Pharma will make money off someone treating someone until they die OR treating someone until they are cured.

... the difference is that once they're cured, they may continue living and, as they get on in age, will likely need more medicines to treat the variety of ailments we encounter as a result of aging. $$$.

Once a person dies, there goes that income source.

Remember, cancer knows no age. It isn't just taking seniors, it takes children, adolescents, twenty-somethings, etc. The people who claim that cancer isn't cured because big pharma "won't make money off of it" aren't even thinking the least bit critically about whether their own position makes any sense.

Interesting how this amazing student 'discovered' an area of research that has been going on for over a decade.
http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/body/halas-nanoshell.html Interesting, thanks for posting this.

eddly
01-22-2012, 01:39 PM
How is it a conspiracy? Think of the profits pharmaceutical corporations make from people dying of cancer! Is it so hard to believe that they would rather make millions than save lives? Its a very valid opinion.

They would rather save lives.

Canada 02
01-22-2012, 02:30 PM
first, it is impressive for a high school student to be thinking this way. Despite some obvious flaws in her idea, with knowledge and training she could be a very good scientist

second, more irresponsible reporting of science by the mainstream media. The word 'cure' in discussing any medical research should be used only in the rarest occasions when there is actually a cure.

third, cancer has been "cured" in mice tens, if not hundreds of times. How many have worked in people? 0

missdpuck
01-22-2012, 02:34 PM
Hmmm thought i had heard of this technology already.

CaramonLS
01-22-2012, 04:59 PM
What kind of science class is she taking?

Don't think my HS offered anything remotely like this.

SHOGUN
01-22-2012, 05:06 PM
Not to be a downer... but I think finding the cure cancer would have a more negative impact than a positive for the human race.

moon
01-22-2012, 05:15 PM

Ignoring the fact that they would easily make millions of dollars with a cure, how exactly are they getting the 1,000's (if not more) people that would be needed to be involved in the cover up to stay quiet?

Are you saying every researcher, executive, assistant, secretary, salesman etc. that has ever been involved in the finding of said cure is so morally repugnant that they decided to keep quiet rather than mentioning anything to the public? And that they are also so tight lipped that they never accidently leaked something to a friend/family member?

This would be such an amazing cover up and so incredibly hard/impossible to pull off that it would seem cheaper and definitely easier to release the findings and figure out a way to gouge the public with the cure.

Slava
01-22-2012, 08:07 PM
Not to be a downer... but I think finding the cure cancer would have a more negative impact than a positive for the human race.

How come? I don't think I've ever heard that opinion before.

nik-
01-22-2012, 08:11 PM
I think he's implying that Cancer is acting as population control. It's not obviously, since our population continues to explode in a totally different proportion than Cancer deaths.

photon
01-22-2012, 08:41 PM
Cancer treatment and cancer survivors would presumably be a greater drain on society than healthy people or people that died of cancer overall.

However the same argument could be made about pretty much anyone that isn't in peak physical and mental condition, so you could say the same thing about old people, people with other serious illnesses, heck even people with glasses or people more prone to colds.

But I think setting up mandatory suicide for people who are ill or old or otherwise a net drain on society's resources actually in itself harms society more. Kind of like giving up freedom for security.

Rifleman
01-23-2012, 04:12 AM

It's not expensive, mom.

Cowperson
01-23-2012, 07:35 AM
Cancer treatment and cancer survivors would presumably be a greater drain on society than healthy people or people that died of cancer overall.

However the same argument could be made about pretty much anyone that isn't in peak physical and mental condition, so you could say the same thing about old people, people with other serious illnesses, heck even people with glasses or people more prone to colds.

But I think setting up mandatory suicide for people who are ill or old or otherwise a net drain on society's resources actually in itself harms society more. Kind of like giving up freedom for security.

Classic science fiction . . . . Logan's Run. An idyllic future except for one thing, enforced suicide at age 30.

http://interstait.com/images/images/logansRun.jpg

Cowperson

photon
01-23-2012, 07:48 AM
Classic science fiction . . . . Logan's Run. An idyllic future except for one thing, enforced suicide at age 30.

Or Teela Brown, bred for luck. Yeah, there's a bunch of different science fiction that's explored various permutations of related ideas, I like the sub-genre. Take a basic premise and then it's a big thought experiment to work out the implications.

93Hound
01-23-2012, 08:57 AM
I am sure we woudl all like to think there is a cure out there somewhere. If this is it, then good on her. Let her save some lives.

bizaro86
01-23-2012, 09:53 AM

Is it still suicide if it's mandatory?

Coys1882
01-23-2012, 09:59 AM
Is it still suicide if it's mandatory?

The premise is that you kill yourself when your age beacon on your palm begins to blink - if you don't, the Sandmen are coming for you.

mykalberta
01-23-2012, 10:15 AM
I hope it works if only so when someone tells me I should eat organic food cause non organic food causes cancer I can look at them and say "so what"

TorqueDog
01-23-2012, 11:34 AM
I hope it works if only so when someone tells me I should eat organic food cause non organic food causes cancer I can look at them and say "so what"If someone tells you you should eat organic food because non-organic food causes cancer, I think the most appropriate response is to point and laugh at their gullibility.

Not to be a downer... but I think finding the cure cancer would have a more negative impact than a positive for the human race.Explain.

To have been able to save brilliant minds like Carl Sagan or Ralph Steinman, to name a couple, would have undoubtedly had a positive effect on our world.

Phanuthier
01-23-2012, 11:38 AM
nanoparticles that would then attach to cancer cells and show up on an MRI. so doctors could see exactly where the tumors are. Then she thought shat if you aimed an infrared light at the tumors to melt the polymer
Um wasn't this presented by from U of Buffalo by Dr Paras Prasad in 2007? Among many others.

I don't think this is new... drug delivery has been a big field for a few years now. I don't know why they are publishing this as something new?

Phanuthier
01-23-2012, 11:40 AM
Hmmm thought i had heard of this technology already.
Probably... from a PM I sent you about 2 years ago? ;)

this was supposed to be my masters project before I went to do something else

Bagor
01-23-2012, 03:15 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't the difference that she has developed a polymer and is utilising the technology as a means of localised drug administration to kill the cells as opposed to the given examples in this thread that are killing the cells thermally.

Similar but different. Both go to the tumerous cells, both get a blast of energy, one kills the cells by heat, the other by releasing the drug.

Phanuthier
01-23-2012, 03:33 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't the difference that she has developed a polymer and is utilising the technology as a means of localised drug administration to kill the cells as opposed to the given examples in this thread that are killing the cells thermally.

Similar but different. Both go to the tumerous cells, both get a blast of energy, one kills the cells by heat, the other by releasing the drug.
you're saying IR instead of whatever chemo uses right now is the difference? Because drug delivery is localizing a drug to a cancer cell via the cancer cells markers.

So... is she suggesting a new polymer (aka. nanoparticle, aka semiconductor) then?

photon
01-23-2012, 03:49 PM
Yeah as far as I understand it her unique contribution is designing the molecule that can do two duties at once, imaging and delivery.

MarchHare
01-23-2012, 03:51 PM
I have no idea what kind of word "she've" is, but this is funny otherwise:

http://i.imgur.com/hSCgg.jpg

Bagor
01-23-2012, 06:45 PM
you're saying IR instead of whatever chemo uses right now is the difference? Because drug delivery is localizing a drug to a cancer cell via the cancer cells markers.
It appears to me that the difference is that she has proposed an innovative way of localised drug delivery, i.e mixing it with a polymer. Unless, there is evidence out there that this way of administration has been suggested before. Sure there are some drugs out there that are localised to specific types of tumours but that takes nothing away from her work given the complete difference in delivery method and the multifunctionality (treatment/imaging) of it.
So... is she suggesting a new polymer (aka. nanoparticle, aka semiconductor) then?
“She showed great creativity and initiative in designing a nanoparticle system that can be triggered to release drugs at the site of the tumor while also allowing for non-invasive imaging. Her work is an important step in developing new approaches to the therapeutic targeting of tumors via nanotechnology.”http://www.gwu.edu/explore/mediaroom/newsreleases/teensclaimtopprizesin2011siemenscompetitioninmaths ciencetechnology

At the end of the day her work is in the very embryonic stages but you definitely can't fault her innovation.

TorqueDog
01-23-2012, 07:03 PM
I was not doing anything like this when I was 17. Pretty impressive stuff.

Phanuthier
01-23-2012, 07:12 PM
It appears to me that the difference is that she has proposed an innovative way of localised drug delivery, i.e mixing it with a polymer. Unless, there is evidence out there that this way of administration has been suggested before. Sure there are some drugs out there that are localised to specific types of tumours but that takes nothing away from her work given the complete difference in delivery method and the multifunctionality (treatment/imaging) of it. .
(read the link)

Maybe I'm missing something... so what I know they had, as of 2009, was that you take a "nanoparticle" (aka. polymer, semiconductor, insert name here)... you wrap up a medicine... the nanoparticle will stick to the cancer cells due to a "marker" ... a EM wave of some sort (IR or otherwise?) will open up the "nanoparticle" and target the cancer cells. I think, though I could be wrong and missed something here, thats exactly what is suggested here...

Or (as photon implied?) is what she did special that it also does imaging? In which case, its not a new approach but merely integrating both drug delivery + imaging?

Bagor
01-23-2012, 07:20 PM
Which link Phanuthier and can you direct me to the 2009 work that was already done?

Phanuthier
01-23-2012, 07:25 PM
Which link Phanuthier and can you direct me to the 2009 work that was already done?
No link, I just know about it cause I was there in person at a conference when it was presented. :)

The guy's name was Dr Paras Prasad... U of Buffalo ... he's supposed to be the founder of the field, or the biggest name in the field, or one of the first in the field... or something like that. That conference he presented in was Jan 2008 Photonics West I think.... in 2009 I had saw something else come out, but I forget what.

Bagor
01-23-2012, 07:31 PM
Well if they presented it as something they'd achieved then no doubt there must be publications?

Or ... was he presenting it as "potential applications"?

Phanuthier
01-23-2012, 07:38 PM
Well if they presented it as something they'd achieved then no doubt there must be publications?

Or ... was he presenting it as "potential applications"?
2006 : www.photonics.buffalo.edu/docs/remote_control.doc (http://www.photonics.buffalo.edu/docs/remote_control.doc)

2009 : http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2009/03/090324101747.htm

though he might have presented only application.... i don't' remember... i just remember the idea and i was impressed by the concept.