PDA

View Full Version : Selig's term extended through to '09

calculoso
08-19-2004, 06:03 PM
Bud Selig's term as baseball commissioner was extended for three years through 2009 in a unanimous vote by owners Thursday.

Several owners said Selig could be commissioner for life if he wanted to.

I mean.. baseball is in such tremendous shape.. :blink: :wacko:

http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Baseball/MLB/200.../591388-ap.html (http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Baseball/MLB/2004/08/19/591388-ap.html)

Calgary Flames
08-19-2004, 06:05 PM
*points to Wide World of Sports board* ;)

Cowperson
08-19-2004, 06:09 PM
Originally posted by calculoso@Aug 20 2004, 12:03 AM
Bud Selig's term as baseball commissioner was extended for three years through 2009 in a unanimous vote by owners Thursday.

http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Baseball/MLB/200.../591388-ap.html (http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Baseball/MLB/2004/08/19/591388-ap.html)
Look at it from an owner point of view:

Labour peace for a decade - which is astounding for a sport that had something like eight disruptions in the 23 years or so before 1994.

Are many of these teams - aside from Montreal - actually losing money. In fact, does Montreal lose money?

I wonder if the Boston Red Sox voted for Selig given the whining they threw up over the Yankees heisting all the best players?

If there's ever a group of owners you should never trust a word about financial distress coming from their pieholes, its this group.

Cowperson

CaramonLS
08-19-2004, 06:33 PM
Originally posted by Cowperson+Aug 20 2004, 12:09 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Cowperson @ Aug 20 2004, 12:09 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-calculoso@Aug 20 2004, 12:03 AM

Labour peace for a decade - which is astounding for a sport that had something like eight disruptions in the 23 years or so before 1994.

Are many of these teams - aside from Montreal - actually losing money. In fact, does Montreal lose money?

I wonder if the Boston Red Sox voted for Selig given the whining they threw up over the Yankees heisting all the best players?

If there's ever a group of owners you should never trust a word about financial distress coming from their pieholes, its this group.

Cowperson [/b][/quote]
If it keeps going till 2009 and the Jays are still in the Same Division... damn straight there it going to be problems in baseball.

Jays will NEVER be in the playoffs when they have to play the Yankees, Sox 19 times a piece. Not to mention Baltlimore right now has much more of a chance of making the wildcard with the money they are willing to spend on free agents.

A 50 million dollar payroll and no playoffs will = doom for the Jays.

calculoso
08-19-2004, 10:01 PM
Originally posted by SuperNilson@Aug 19 2004, 06:05 PM
*points to Wide World of Sports board* ;)
yeah yeah.. I learned my lesson...don't post when you're in a rush.. never know where it's going to go

calculoso
08-19-2004, 10:08 PM
Originally posted by Cowperson@Aug 19 2004, 06:09 PM

I don't know. They're talking about contraction or moving teams. They have a CBA that is so lax that only one or two teams (I forget how many) are being taxed by the luxury tax.. and that's only after they start spending insane amounts of money. They have, in my opinion, way too few teams making the playoffs which never gives most teams any hope.

As a league, I'm sure they're breaking even at worst... and that's only because of the big market teams. If you evaluated most of the teams, I'm willing to bet that a large number of them are not doing well and constantly have to trade away their talent, ala Montreal, Pittsburgh, Kansas City, in order to minimize their losses.

I don't see why they'd want to give him such a long extension... or a lifetime contract.. unless they have something MAJOR planned... and I don't think they're smart enough to do that.

Resolute 14
08-20-2004, 10:16 AM
Major League Baseball is in a huge upswing right now. We dont see it because Toronto is struggling, and Montreal's situation is a joke, but the rest of MLB is seeing rising interest, rising crowds and rising ratings.

Personally, I think this is all happening in spite of Selig rather than because of him, but it is happening.

As for the Jays never being able to compete in the AL East, I call BS. Last year we fared alright against the Yanks and Sox, and that was with no pitching at all past Halladay. The Jays need to build up their pitching depth, and that will take time.

calculoso
08-20-2004, 11:12 AM
Originally posted by Snakeeye@Aug 20 2004, 10:16 AM
Major League Baseball is in a huge upswing right now. We dont see it because Toronto is struggling, and Montreal's situation is a joke, but the rest of MLB is seeing rising interest, rising crowds and rising ratings.

Is it actually rising or just returning to previous levels? Big distinction.

habernac
08-20-2004, 11:15 AM
Selig is and always has been a joke. He does what's good for him and a few of his cronies.

Resolute 14
08-21-2004, 09:43 AM
Originally posted by calculoso+Aug 20 2004, 05:12 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (calculoso @ Aug 20 2004, 05:12 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Snakeeye@Aug 20 2004, 10:16 AM
Major League Baseball is in a huge upswing right now.# We dont see it because Toronto is struggling, and Montreal's situation is a joke, but the rest of MLB is seeing rising interest, rising crowds and rising ratings.

Is it actually rising or just returning to previous levels? Big distinction. [/b][/quote]
I believe it was growing past pre-strike levels.

A quick look at average attendances shows six teams averaging over 40,000 fans, and 18 averaging over 30,000.

In 1993, Four teams averaged over 40,000 (the Jays and Rockies over 50,000), and 12 teams over 30,000.